Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Well folks, it's the day your ol' pal DOOMocrat has been waiting for, a championship that can't skate backwards, a championship that doesn't own a snow shovel, a championship that will inevitably, invariably, lead to more instances of the "What's the difference between the Calgary Flames and a bra?" joke. And it's in fuckin' Edmonton.

All games in Canada on Sportsnet, I assume proceeding Littlest Hobo and Corner Gas syndicated reruns.

https://twitter.com/CobrastanGuy/status/1306805282580951042

Storylines as I see them:

- Eat it, snowailures.

- Joe Pavelski has his Old Guy Without A Cup Gets It Second chance, and might hand it to Corey Perry afterwards.

- No matter what, a team from Dallas or a player from Dallas hoists the cup, thanks to Blake "The Break" Coleman, certified local product.

- Again thank you to you uncouth Long Island sons of bitches for buying us a few days.

- But also LOL Varlamov

- I still have no idea how any of this happened.

- Cooper and Bowness don't seem to actually like each other very much.

- Who'd have thought that Bishop wouldn't be the reason, eh? Might get one of the loving BACK TO BACKS on the schedule, providing his tissue knee is holding.

We're not going home... empty handed.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Go Stars.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Fuckin
Beers

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

gently caress Tampa, get hosed!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Go Dobby.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Not sure if my last post adequately expressed it but holy poo poo piss I can't believe this is actually happening. I feel like I'm going to explode.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Still can’t believe Dallas is in the finals.

Congrats Stars and Lightning fans.

I’m betting on the obvious favorite, but at this point Dallas winning wouldn’t surprise me.

Tampa in 6

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

RIP Esa Lindell, died by shot blocking.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fukkn lol

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Go Tampa not that I have anything against the Stars but the Bolts are due.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Go Bolts, but either way, jamming a thumb in the eye of the core market rules.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

John Forslund should be calling the final for NBC. He's been excellent and he's already in the bubble. I don't want to keep listening to Doc on a 3 second delay.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cocaine Bear posted:

Not sure if my last post adequately expressed it but holy poo poo piss I can't believe this is actually happening. I feel like I'm going to explode.

From a Winter Classic to a chance at the Stanley Cup

what the poo poo is this magic season

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Go The Stars

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Wonderllama easily claims first real fan post.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

aejix posted:

Fuckin
Beers

:yeah:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

You cannot grasp the true form of Dobby

Also go the Stars

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I don't have a dog in this fight but I was immediately won over by drunk fuckin dobby in the Moose Lodge or whatever the gently caress

go a star

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Go Bolts :toot:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Go back home. In disappointment. After losing.

Got 'em.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Go... ugh... Bolts

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I have no gripe against Dallas conceptually but I'll be damned if a defense-first team wins again and brings back a decade of boring rear end 1-3-1 hockey after this recent scoring resurgence
Gotta go Bolts out of principal

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I have no gripe against Dallas conceptually but I'll be damned if a defense-first team wins again and brings back a decade of boring rear end 1-3-1 hockey after this recent scoring resurgence
Gotta go Bolts out of principal

Dallas has three more goals than TBL so far :toot:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DOOMocrat posted:

Dallas has three more goals than TBL so far :toot:

That's a fair point, although they have also played 2 more games and have a negative goal differential in spite of that.

But either way it's going to be a fun series and I'd be just as happy to see Seguin/Radulov and the rest of the underdogs win it just to spite that "guys with personalities can't win" narrative but gently caress Corey Perry

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Negative goal differential includes the round robin which Dallas technically played in, but wasn't exactly present for.

I know the team's defense first and not the most exciting but there's also a lot of play-up to that going on. Vegas played two boring series, Dallas played one, and we're paint drying. IDGI.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

DOOMocrat posted:

Negative goal differential includes the round robin which Dallas technically played in, but wasn't exactly present for.

I know the team's defense first and not the most exciting but there's also a lot of play-up to that going on. Vegas played two boring series, Dallas played one, and we're paint drying. IDGI.

I disagree with Vegas' series being boring, they absolutely shelled three straight keepers who got ever better and standing on their heads. There was no packing the neutral zone and waiting for someone to gently caress up

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Two cool and fun teams. Should be a good series. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone too goony on either team (FCP aside, but he hasn't been too much of a dickhead this year and refs just love ignoring him getting laid out so it's a wash). I was going to worry about dobby turning into a pumpkin but he's already roughly pumpkin shaped and it'll be over before October so I'm as at ease. And by at ease I mean constantly on the brink of losing my mind.

E: oh, I just remembered Goodrow trying to murder Nelson or whoever. gently caress Tampa.

Dizi says Go Stars *bork*!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Cocaine Bear posted:

Two cool and fun teams. Should be a good series. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone too goony on either team (FCP aside, but he hasn't been too much of a dickhead this year and refs just love ignoring him getting laid out so it's a wash).

Patrick Maroooooooon

One of the things I have observed is that a lot of western conference fans are surprised by how large and physical Tampa's defense is. I think Tampa has this reputation as a skilled attacking team, but if anything their bread and butter is their ability to shut down the opposition's attacking players.

It's very interesting (to me) that one of the knocks on Vegas last round was that they had no consistent net front presence, Pete DeBoer was really emphasizing how their first priority was to get more players to the Dallas net... and now I find out from twitter that Tampa plays with 0 net front presence by design... it seems like they have also struggled to put pucks in the net despite creating huge shot advantages..

I don't know if that experience playing against basically a better version of the Tampa offense in the last round will be an advantage for Dallas, but atleast the Stars have their road map to success.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I am torn between my AV's fandom saving face and saying "Yeah we lost but we lost to the team that went on to win it all." My Hatred of the Stars and my desire to watch the Lightning blow it again.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Do you think the arena will pipe in boos when Bettman comes out to award the Cup?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grack posted:

Do you think the arena will pipe in boos when Bettman comes out to award the Cup?

Almost positive they will. I recall some interview with one of the arena DJs saying they had a booing clip all ready to go.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

grack posted:

I actually hope it's a several-minutes-long ovation and Gary does the "Oh stop! Nah don't stop" type gestures

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

At the Dallas Draft he started with a Humbolt tribute.

As if he didn't know the first thing people would do was boo. It was *incredibly* awkward.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Go Bolts. Point's health will be a big factor in this series and who knows if we actually get a "Bah gawd, that's Stamkos's music :bahgawd:" moment since he's possibly a week away.

I like how the Lightning match up with Dallas given how much Vegas put on net, but I'm not optimistic because hope is a poison and I dare not hope. Khudobin could easily steal this series, but I could see Dallas being in real trouble if he's just 90% of what he was in the WCF (which would still be real good).

It's good to see the two states that set the highest standards in dignity and integrity represented in the Cup Finals, Florida and Texas. The states are quite infectious.

Hopefully I will be drinking the loving beers at the end of this. I mean I'll be having a lot of loving beers if they lose too I guess.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want the Dallas Stars to win

But rest assured: either outcome will probably leave me crying

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Go bolts, Dallas is a lame place with a lame hockey team complete with a lame logo

I dig the green look though, that's sharp as hell imo

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Did some SMU bottle blonde reject you at Lee Harvey's or something, this runs deep with you.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Good soup! posted:

Go bolts, Dallas is a lame place with a lame hockey team complete with a lame logo

I dig the green look though, that's sharp as hell imo

Lol, gently caress off, loser.

Can believe I forgot about maroon. Especially after last year. I hope radulov scores a series winner just so his head explodes with joy.

Also, AAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I have no particular hatred for the Stars but they are standing in between the Bolts and a second Stanley Cup.

Go Bolts!

marioinblack posted:

It's good to see the two states that set the highest standards in dignity and integrity represented in the Cup Finals, Florida and Texas. The states are quite infectious.

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cocaine Bear posted:

Lol, gently caress off, loser.

sorry about ur bland, soulless, and utterly unremarkable urban area :eng99: