Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah true. It was surprising to me that you could access the toenail scene right at the beginning under your nose like that though. Although I did kill him a few times so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I just started playing Talos Principle for the first time today. I was surprised at how many themes on death were there same as those in Death Stranding.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Talos Principle is a phenomenal experience that should have been more widely known.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

So I just got to South Knot and got the guns. I assume this means I can go to that MULE camp right by the Distribution Center in the middle of the map, shoot one of the MULEs in the face and destroy the camp in the ensuing explosion right?

Because I hate that camp with a passion.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You should load the hell up on guns before you leave, yes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

disjoe posted:

So I just got to South Knot and got the guns. I assume this means I can go to that MULE camp right by the Distribution Center in the middle of the map, shoot one of the MULEs in the face and destroy the camp in the ensuing explosion right?

Because I hate that camp with a passion.

You can, but non-Sam voidouts are instant game over.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Midjack posted:

You can, but non-Sam voidouts are instant game over.

Wait really? I had read they didn’t really matter. I left a dead mule behind a little while ago and so far nothing has happened. He was just too far from the incinerator for me

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Eventually the body will void out and you'll get a game over screen. You need to grab the body and deliver it to the incinerator to be able to continue freely.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Killing people is bad

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

Killing people is bad

Chucking containers full of rocks at them, though? Fuckin excellent.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Johnny Truant posted:

Chucking containers full of rocks at them, though? Fuckin excellent.

Also: hitting them with cars

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Eventually the body will void out and you'll get a game over screen. You need to grab the body and deliver it to the incinerator to be able to continue freely.

but you have a pretty long time to do it then I guess, right? I’m a couple hours past when I killed the guy and so far, nothing. Maybe I’ll go back and get the body if I can find it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^ huh, sounds like maybe you won't into a cutscene/different area and the game just ignored that one dead body?

Do your poop/pee/bathwater grenades do anything to humans? I don't think I ever tried testing that out..

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you rest at a private room far enough away, you won't get the void out game over. Die Hardman will call you on the radio and let you know that some fellow porters took care of the body for you and you get docked about a bajillion Likes as an admonishment.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I actually watched The Postman last week because I just beat this game for the first time, AMA. It was okay but too long and indulgent; he doesn't become a postman until literally 50 minutes into the movie.

I guess I could see people having similar complaints about this game but gently caress You Buddy, if Kojima gives you something long and at times tedious it's because he wanted you to play something long and at times tedious. I had suspected a lot of the complaints about his occasional moves away from fun gameplay -- either into overlong cutscenes or into the kinda organizational tedium simulator stuff he does in this or MGSV -- were there on purpose to frustrate the player but now I'm 100% sure that's what he intends, that he wants a splash of frustration in his games (which otherwise can stick close to the traditional power fantasy.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

If you rest at a private room far enough away, you won't get the void out game over. Die Hardman will call you on the radio and let you know that some fellow porters took care of the body for you and you get docked about a bajillion Likes as an admonishment.

First time I've heard of that. Pretty cool.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Minor PC spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhnP0JFMhKI

I guess they added a new area at 2:20 in the video. You can see the litle part on the map at 0:47. I dunno if it goes away after the HL2 mission, it seems like it might show up only after you beat the game.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i just now realized, lying in bed, that the call sound for the codec is the first four notes of london bridge.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i just now realized, lying in bed, that the call sound for the codec is the first four notes of london bridge.

do ho ho ho hooo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Everyone has a different codec ringtone and it took me forever to notice that.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Here they all are for your perusal:

https://clyp.it/user/ue0sncvw

Found that searching for the "keep on keeping on" clip.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I had a lot of fun editing this when I got the Santa hat today

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Well, I thought I had started to wrap my head around what was going on, and then Kojima went and Kojima'd me real good.

I had just arrived at South Knot and I was told to go outside and investigate something. OK, they just gave me guns and grenades, this is obviously a boss battle. I go out, expecting another Great Old One squid things, and instead get whisked off to fight Mads in the trenches of WWI. What the loving gently caress man?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

he cant help but make an army man game

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

Well, I thought I had started to wrap my head around what was going on, and then Kojima went and Kojima'd me real good.

I had just arrived at South Knot and I was told to go outside and investigate something. OK, they just gave me guns and grenades, this is obviously a boss battle. I go out, expecting another Great Old One squid things, and instead get whisked off to fight Mads in the trenches of WWI. What the loving gently caress man?

I wish I could be you. Playing this fresh for the first time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Midjack posted:

Everyone has a different codec ringtone and it took me forever to notice that.

Yeah, Mama's is rock a bye baby, the little builder kiosks do london bridge, heartman is the funeral march, etc.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Today was my last day of playing Death Stranding. Got everyone onto the UCA, got all the trinkets, and did everything I cared to do. It was a really great experience that I enjoyed thoroughly and I'm sad to see it go.

I can only hope it'll inspire other people to make games in a similar fashion, games that focus on traversal and environment. I'm also excited to see whatever Kojima decides to do next.

If there's one thing I could criticise about the game it's not the BTs or even the shooter sections, I enjoyed those fine for what they were. It's that I feel there was a lot of missed potential with regards to environmental storytelling and unguided exploration. A lot of places that would be very interesting to be able to investigate on your own without the game's prompting are either empty, or guarded by invisible walls. The world and story would have connected with me far more still if there had been things I could discover and puzzle on about on my own.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Did you ever find the cryptobiote mega-tree? It's to the east of the mountain the Elder lives on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Krazyface posted:

Did you ever find the cryptobiote mega-tree? It's to the east of the mountain the Elder lives on.

I only found that thing way postgame when I was rounding up memory chips. I’d never actually gone to that part of the world the whole game.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Just finished the game, loved it.

One of the things me and my brother share a love for is MGS games, so we both started DS at the same time a few weeks ago - a lot of the themes in it, especially this year, resonated a lot with me. I'm glad games like this exist.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Krazyface posted:

Yeah, I stumbled on that when I was getting horribly lost around there.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

The Zombie Guy posted:

You know, it's nice to see someone just blind sided by Kojima. When I got to that part, I was like... Took you long enough. He loves historic military equipment and set pieces.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

sure okay posted:

I wish I could be you. Playing this fresh for the first time.

Extremely same

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I really really loved this game and I find myself thinking about it often. It's really sad to me however how many people I know just couldn't get into it at all. I'm thinking about playing MGS5 next as I haven't played a MGS game since MGS 3 on the OG xbox. Is MGS 5 at all similar to this? Would anyone recommend playing MGS 5 after DS?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

It's very different, but the gameplay of MGSV is so smooth and fun that I'd honestly recommend it to anyone.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

MGSV has really good gameplay, but it is a stealth game, not a traversal game, and the open world concept in it feels under baked. The plot gets sparse/hard to follow about halfway through and had much less of the kind of humor you see in the other MGS games and DS. Personally I think it's much grimmer and depressing than DS. One of the big themes of DS is the good of bringing people together even in the face of inevitable death, versus MGSV is all about people turning against each other and growing increasingly callous. But that stealth gameplay is rock solid and is a fun sandbox to play in.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah I don't think any game could capture the traversal feeling like DS, and the feeling of optimism under an oppressive dark cloud of death.

I'm gonna get MGS5 for sure then, I love me some stealth gameplay.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah the only connection between MGSV and DS would be "standard Kojima whackiness" but MGSV is probably the most fun sandbox game I have every played. I've honestly contemplated buying it on PC just so I can play through it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A lot of MGS5 is making your own fun using every tool you have available. It's also one of the best stealth games ever made and has the best controls of any 3rd person game I've ever played. The dive move alone is absolute genius.