Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Wow, these kids are NOT good at acting.

Also I'm pretty sure that whoever was responsible for writing the script just gave up because of horrible casting and told everyone to improvise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

macabresca posted:

Wow, these kids are NOT good at acting.

Also I'm pretty sure that whoever was responsible for writing the script just gave up because of horrible casting and told everyone to improvise

Did you miss the prior episode where they redid the script to just roll with the actors' personalities?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I didn't! And I was genuinely curious to see how they rewrote Cinderella to fit the cast. But the impression I got from the play was what I wrote in the post.

Although Cinderella and evil step-sister romance plot is def an intriguing concept.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

This series better end with a flash-forward where Hanajima is Kyo's stepmom.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

macabresca posted:

Although Cinderella and evil step-sister romance plot is def an intriguing concept.

Didn't Disney try to do something with a step-sister in one of the made for video movies?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Holy poo poo, you're right!

Cinderella III: A Twist in Time posted:

Anastasia reunites Cinderella with the Prince and picks up the wand to return to her normal self. She then attempts to return the seashell to the king who lets her keep it, asserting that she too deserves true love. Cinderella and Anastasia reconcile and together restore the Fairy Godmother; she offers to undo Lady Tremaine's change of events, but sees that Cinderella and the Prince are happy enough being married on that day and continuing on from there.

I don't think Cinderella was as stylish as Hanajima, though.
Um, spoilers for A Twist in Time, I guess.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Do we have any idea yet when season 3 is coming? I did some quick googling but I couldn't find anything real.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Nope, nothing yet. They may announce something when 2nd season ends though

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The introduction of the student council felt out of place at first but I think I'm starting to understand where they're going with it. I'm liking Yuki a lot more now that he's opening up due to Tohru's influence, and I think he's slowly becoming more like her both in understanding and helping others, as well as being more of a doofus. I hope he's able to do for Machi what Tohru did for him.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Oh my God, I haven't caught up to Fruits Basket in awhile, so I'm barely on episode 9 of season 2, but UGH I can't stand Akito. I read the manga and still think to myself, "I don't give a poo poo what your personal hangups were growing up, you do not need to be this much of a shitlord to everyone else."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Akito is a despicable being on every front and someone needs to punch them in the throat sooner rather than later

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Akito is a despicable being on every front and someone needs to punch them in the throat sooner rather than later

Unfortunately, it's more likely that Tohru hugs him and they cry it out than for Kyo and Yuki to do the fusion dance and punch him into outer space.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yawgmoft posted:

Unfortunately, it's more likely that Tohru hugs him and they cry it out than for Kyo and Yuki to do the fusion dance and punch him into outer space.

Please don't spoil the plot of my doujin like that, I wanted it to be a surprise

Been s l o w l y catching up with the series and it's nice to see the boys finally getting closer to Tohru.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1308096462463606785

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aaaaaaaaaaaa!

Awesome

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Can't wait! I almost feel like reading ahead because of this goddamn cliffhanger

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Gender Dysphoria: the cliffhanger.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I hope they finally go into why Akito is such a piece of poo poo, because if they try to redeem her in any way they'd better make her loving earn it. I'm also fine with Akito just being unceremoniously dumped to the curb if the cast is freed of the curse and don't feel like being part of an abusive, one-sided relationship any more.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm pretty sure they just laid a huge foundation on that front.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

In an ideal world Akito would end up with nothing so they can experience what they put the zodiac through, but this is a series from the early 00's and some of it hasn't aged spectacularly well

*coughisuzucoughhackwheeze*

It's fun barely remembering anything after the...

...what horrifying reveal twist are we on now, seven?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Torturing the victims of torture isn't very 2020 tbh

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Dragging this up from the depths just to say thanks for convincing me to watch this. I read the manga back in college, but never got a chance to finish it or watch the first show. Watching this has been a fun for both nostalgia reasons and it's own merits as a show. Surprised to realize my Torhu/Kypo ship endures. He makes you soup when you're sick, Tohru! Pick the angry cat.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

there wolf posted:

Dragging this up from the depths just to say thanks for convincing me to watch this. I read the manga back in college, but never got a chance to finish it or watch the first show. Watching this has been a fun for both nostalgia reasons and it's own merits as a show. Surprised to realize my Torhu/Kypo ship endures. He makes you soup when you're sick, Tohru! Pick the angry cat.

Tohru/Kyou is interesting to me because I absolutely did not like it at first, I was very much a Tohru/Yuki guy at first. But as the series goes on, Kyou becomes a significantly better person and has the most development of the cast, and then Yuki outright accepts that his feelings are not romantic in nature, ending the love triangle with a clear winner.

Well, clear as long as those two actually confess at some point. But I imagine it has to happen, it'd be weird if the series ends without that.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
How dare you spoil the end of this 20 year old story!!

It really just came down to Yuki needed a friend, but Kyo needed Torhu. Yuki's romantic actions toward her already seemed like a guy wanting emotional closeness but not knowing how to get that outside the framework of romantic love. Did just watch the beach episodes and when Yuki thinks Torhu was bothered by what he did the night before. He apologizes for what he said/ his display of emotion, but outright tells her he doesn't apologize for the kiss- the overt display of romantic interest.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

there wolf posted:

How dare you spoil the end of this 20 year old story!!

Joke's on you, it's not a spoiler from the end of the story :v:

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Meanwhile I didn't really care all that much about Yuki during the first season, largely due to finding his interactions with Tohru kind of boring (my favourite characters in S1 honestly would have been Tohru/Hana/Uo with Kyo in like a distant fourth), but over the course of the second season he pretty much skyrocketed to being easily my favourite character in the show. Yuki's entire journey of slowly clawing his way away from his abusive family's influence and becoming a happier, more independent person just warmed my heart like nothing else. And I also greatly respect the balls it takes to have one of your male love interests just mom-zone the female protagonist and completely end the love triangle 2/3rds of the way through the story, though I'd honestly have to rewatch the first season and pay attention to how the second season "twist" recontextualizes Yuki & Tohru's interactions in order to properly re-evaluate my opinion on their relationship.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1355082518232489992

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
My body is ready

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Season three has started! Although I'm still not caught up I'm really looking forward to getting there and seeing how this all plays out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ep 2 is already out and holy poo poo. That Shigure is a bit hosed up is nothing new, that Shigure is this hosed up is...well, impressive, in a way. He's genuinely really messed up, in ways that are just incredibly uncomfortable to watch.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I absolutely hate the new ending. It feels like I am watching every story spoiler you can possibly jam into a minute and a half. What happened to sleepy boys?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Shigure you motherfucker.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

OP/EDs aside (And I love the Takaya drawings in the ED!) , the actual delivery of the episodes is delivering beyond what I could have hoped for from an already miraculous anime adaptation. Ep 2 was simply breathstealing when it sank ever deeper into the mire that is Shiggy's brand of madness.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This series sure has a way of making it clear where someone is a piece of poo poo. Neither Akito nor Ren are good people and that's more than clear, but holy poo poo their treatment of Rin is somehow yet another new low. Haru's sheer anger was fully understandable and I wish he had actually just punched Akito there. Also Haru's angry face was amazing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
This week, time marches on and things change, sometimes faster than the participants could have ever imagined.

The ending of the story is a process, not a singular event.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Well I'm sure that ending wasn't ominous at all!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ibblebibble posted:

Well I'm sure that ending wasn't ominous at all!

I'm sure everything is fine and these poor teenagers with terrible trauma won't show even more terrible trauma as they remember terribly traumatic things that happened to them but they repressed.

Opening and ending updated which was actually rather unexpected. Opening now shows post-puberty Momiji and ending has the broken frame with Kyoko's picture. Considering it broke just before the ending even played, that was a fast change.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1391800211882840064?s=19

I really liked this article, kinda summed up a lot of what I love about Tohru and this series in general

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Akito can't let you feel sorry for long before she does something hosed up to remind you why she sucks.

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams

Rudoku posted:

Akito can't let you feel sorry for you long before she does something hosed up to remind you why she sucks.

Agreed. That said, almost everyone was terrible in this. Ren, Akito, Ren, Shigure, Ren, the two housekeepers fighting over who can have the most subtle control of the family, and Ren.

I want to take almost all the families in this show, throw them in the garbage, and replace them with Hiro's mom.