Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gutcruncher posted:

I wonder if switch games will start going up to 70 too. After all, the cartridges cost more to make than Blu-rays so that seems like justification enough for someone to set the 70 dollar precedent there.

If someone tries it it'll have fuckall to do with the cost of the media and box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

When the 360 launch, MS said they would keep first party games at $50, and then gave up on that within a year. Kameo and PD0 were $50. Gears was the first $60 game from MS. Can’t remember if they released any in between.

also there are no first party games at launch or with release dates so you cant preorder them or verify their prices

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

ethanol posted:

also there are no first party games at launch or with release dates so you cant preorder them or verify their prices

Gears Tactics is available at launch for $59.99. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/gears-tactics-xbox/9pfn8j3v7g54

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

new games that have not already come out on pc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wCX0n9Jci4

absolutely love how this trailer is being presented as some sort of mega-win

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Seems like a pretty compelling reason for an Xbox One S owner to upgrade to an Xbox Series S.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah I don't get what's supposed to be bad about it aside from playing The Outer Worlds.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

I wonder if switch games will start going up to 70 too. After all, the cartridges cost more to make than Blu-rays so that seems like justification enough for someone to set the 70 dollar precedent there.

nintendo will just do whatever

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I don't get what's supposed to be bad about it aside from playing The Outer Worlds.

the series x and ps5 will also do that but with the bonus of not being crippled models that will get garbage ports

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

the series x and ps5 will also do that but with the bonus of not being crippled models that will get garbage ports
Poor people deserve quality of life upgrades too.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

poor people arent buying any model at launch and probably wont have the current series s as an option by the time they do

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Honestly, I don't care much about startup loading times, I have tons upon tons of time anyway. Who can't handle 1 minute of waiting? Go get a drink or clean your disgusting controller with a disinfecting wipe during that time.

The loading times I do care about are those in the game itself. As an example, a loading screen after entering a house. It would be very cool if the new gen could have seamless giant open worlds.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Honestly, I don't care much about startup loading times, I have tons upon tons of time anyway. Who can't handle 1 minute of waiting? Go get a drink or clean your disgusting controller with a disinfecting wipe during that time.

The loading times I do care about are those in the game itself. As an example, a loading screen after entering a house. It would be very cool if the new gen could have seamless giant open worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lRBNAye2eo

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Stux posted:

poor people arent buying any model at launch and probably wont have the current series s as an option by the time they do

I think All Access could appeal to a number of people who traditionally wait for price cuts. Especially in an environment when it's very hard to find the old models on shelves.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I think part of it is that Sony just released one with a comparison that was like, half a second to load.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the new consoles being designed with fast SSDs as default is going to have a greater impact on true next-gen games than the extra GPU power imo

i'm hype for the next gen consoles and i won't even be buying one

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've seen that before, but what I meant was like in that new Ratchet & Clank thing with the seamless transitions. Not my type of game but that was very cool.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah its gonna be cool having an actual wow feature on new consoles and one that will actually change the way games are made too

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

I've seen that before, but what I meant was like in that new Ratchet & Clank thing with the seamless transitions. Not my type of game but that was very cool.

ps5 again but the demon souls trailer has a bit with no fanfare where they warp and its just instant

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
So CDkeys is still having an Ultimate Pass sale, 28% off @ $130 a year and thinking of jumping on it. Any thoughts?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Zerot posted:

I think All Access could appeal to a number of people who traditionally wait for price cuts. Especially in an environment when it's very hard to find the old models on shelves.

Lots of people are probably in my shoes (not that I have any plans to buy a new console anytime this year) and are between consoles, waiting to see what happens. If your Xbone/PS4 died in the past year and you’re debating getting a direct replacement, shelling out $100-$150 for a repair (Sony quoted me $150 to fix my dead PS4 Pro back in 2018 and I never bothered due to lots of way more important poo poo going down in my life at the time), or jumping into the new gen/saving up for a new flagship console, a $299 digi-Xbox with All Access isn’t a bad way to go if you’re already in the Xbox ecosystem

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Arkage posted:

So CDkeys is still having an Ultimate Pass sale, 28% off @ $130 a year and thinking of jumping on it. Any thoughts?

I don't have an Xbox but I wanted to extend my PC Gamepass before the price went up, so I found that the absolute cheapest way to do it was the following:

1. Get 3 years of Xbox Live Gold Brazil from CDKeys (at the time I purchased, it was $30/key - so 3 years was $90).
2. VPN to a Brazil server (there are some trials you can use if you don't already subscribe to one)
3. Log onto your Microsoft account and redeem your Xbox Live Gold Brazil keys(make sure to turn off auto-renew) then log out after redeeming
4. Turn off VPN
5. Open xbox.com and log back into your account
6. Click the link to Join Now for Ultimate trial for $1
7. Confirm you want to upgrade your xbox live gold to ultimate plan for $1
8. All 3 years of Xbox Live Gold are upgraded to Ultimate

Proof:

Edit: Alternatively you can also just buy Xbox Live Gold 2 years from Costco for $95 or so and buy another year as well on top of that then follow the same steps without having to use a VPN.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 18, 2020

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Just ended up getting that $200 Amazon refurbished Xbox One X. It looks like they just decided to send me a new one instead. Everything is wrapped and has the plastic wrap on it, all the included papers are here, tape still on the outside of the box.

Pretty pretty happy with this.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

Just ended up getting that $200 Amazon refurbished Xbox One X. It looks like they just decided to send me a new one instead. Everything is wrapped and has the plastic wrap on it, all the included papers are here, tape still on the outside of the box.

Always nice when Amazon does this. Enjoy your next generation 4K console with 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Yeah I’ve had great luck with Amazon warehouse.

Got the apple keyboard which was new for $80 off

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wCX0n9Jci4

absolutely love how this trailer is being presented as some sort of mega-win

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Why is the timer on that Xbox load times trailer so small? The video makes it look like it’s only like a 5 second difference until you notice the microscopic clock on the bottom clocking it at 40 seconds faster. That’s far better than it looks if you’re just looking at the two TVs.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Stux posted:

no, in fact the first we found out about next gen being $70 was when series x game prices were announced

MS has said their first party games won't be more expensive this generation, but they have also said it will be two years before we see series exclusive games and they are dedicated to the free upgrade from One to Series versions. That means if they did try to charge 70 bucks for a game on both consoles, you could by the One version and upgrade it digitally for $10 less, so I don't think we'll see MS with $70 games. Of course, once they phase out One support, they may change their minds (they also aren't focused on selling their first party games, they want you to use gamepass, so if their market analysts find that the extra $10 will push more people to the pass then prices will go up, and if they find that being $10 less will convince more people to by the Series and potentially pick up Gamepass their price will stay low.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TheAnomaly posted:

MS has said their first party games won't be more expensive this generation, but they have also said it will be two years before we see series exclusive games and they are dedicated to the free upgrade from One to Series versions. That means if they did try to charge 70 bucks for a game on both consoles, you could by the One version and upgrade it digitally for $10 less, so I don't think we'll see MS with $70 games. Of course, once they phase out One support, they may change their minds (they also aren't focused on selling their first party games, they want you to use gamepass, so if their market analysts find that the extra $10 will push more people to the pass then prices will go up, and if they find that being $10 less will convince more people to by the Series and potentially pick up Gamepass their price will stay low.

this is theoretical because they have no games, all the games actually coming out are $70 on both other than ubi/ea until after xmas

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

It's unfortunate that "game remastered for new console has instant level transitions" and "load times for existing games are improved" both ended up with similar-looking videos.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

uvar posted:

It's unfortunate that "game remastered for new console has instant level transitions" and "load times for existing games are improved" both ended up with similar-looking videos.

Its still a really nice nice improvement, even if fundamentally for even terrible players it'll probably only save 10-15 minutes over a whole run.

Im most hype for Fighting Games because Tekken 7 load times are unacceptable

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

10 second loads?
Welcome to 2012 pc gaming

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

uvar posted:

agreed, whats a factor of ten whent alking about time anyway

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

How crazy is it that the time is nearly identical for ps3 and xss. Couldnt make it up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Somebody cut it to be those two next to each other

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Almost like they're completely different games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You're humorless theres no console war to fight here this is classic gold content

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQpH002B-Q

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
*clutches pearls* Xbox will win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

ihatepants posted:

I don't have an Xbox but I wanted to extend my PC Gamepass before the price went up, so I found that the absolute cheapest way to do it was the following:

1. Get 3 years of Xbox Live Gold Brazil from CDKeys (at the time I purchased, it was $30/key - so 3 years was $90).
2. VPN to a Brazil server (there are some trials you can use if you don't already subscribe to one)
3. Log onto your Microsoft account and redeem your Xbox Live Gold Brazil keys(make sure to turn off auto-renew) then log out after redeeming
4. Turn off VPN
5. Open xbox.com and log back into your account
6. Click the link to Join Now for Ultimate trial for $1
7. Confirm you want to upgrade your xbox live gold to ultimate plan for $1
8. All 3 years of Xbox Live Gold are upgraded to Ultimate

Proof:

Edit: Alternatively you can also just buy Xbox Live Gold 2 years from Costco for $95 or so and buy another year as well on top of that then follow the same steps without having to use a VPN.

Thanks for the tips. I'm waffling on the whole thing since it really feels like xbox exclusive 1st party stuff poo poo the bed this gen for the most part. If they had Sony quality and quantity output I wouldn't be nearly so hesitant on the gamepass. Also debating whether I should just go with the Xbox game pass rather than ultimate, since their PC offerings aren't that appealing to me... but I guess if you get xbox game pass you still need to pay for live separately? Or no? Confusing.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 19, 2020