Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

People really want Geraldine Viswanathan

She is relatively unknown but is getting bigger and does have a starring movie coming out called The Broken Hearts Gallery and was in the comedy movie Blockers

Yes please, she's delightful. Just push Kamala into college or something to account for her being a bit older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Geraldine Viswanathan would be a great choice, Blockers was hilarious and she was probably mvp.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I hope we get to see She-Hulk shave her legs so we can finally, finally find out who was right about that - Byrne or McDuffie.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Rhyno posted:

For real. How many actresses can portray a half dozen fully realized characters that interact with one another and you can actually buy that they are different people?

She's gonna crush this.

God its not even necessarily just that she managed to act 6 different roles against herself, its that there's a non-zero number of times where one of the clones has to disguise themselves as one of the others, and you can see a distinct difference in the performances between "Clone 1 is pretending to be Clone 2"
and just "Clone 2 doing normal stuff"

It really is absolutely incredible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Yes please, she's delightful. Just push Kamala into college or something to account for her being a bit older.

My dream is to introduce her to the MCU in the 3rd spiderman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CaptainApathyUK posted:

God its not even necessarily just that she managed to act 6 different roles against herself, its that there's a non-zero number of times where one of the clones has to disguise themselves as one of the others, and you can see a distinct difference in the performances between "Clone 1 is pretending to be Clone 2"
and just "Clone 2 doing normal stuff"

It really is absolutely incredible.

I need to rewatch OB because I forget just how amazing she was at times.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They announced the Ms. Marvel creative team, so based on how they did that with She-Hulk and then revealed the main lead soon after, I would expect we'll find out who is playing her relatively soon.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Hulk Smash! posted:

Is the whole blood transfusion thing the only reason she became She-Hulk? Like, can Bruce make an army of hulks as long as he donates to people with compatible blood types?

From memory this did come up in the 90's and during the late 90's/2000's Hulk runs.

Basically yes Bruce's blood can turn people into Hulk's. And he's absolutely terrified that he would turn anyone else into a Gamma Monster.

In PAD's run on Hulk he was asked to give Jim Wilson a blood transfusion to save him from dying from AIDS. In the end they decided not to donate the blood for fear of what sort of monster he might become.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

A move that was touched on in Image’s Savage Dragon not long after, where a dying friend with AIDS asked Dragon for a transfusion. He obliged, because he was his friend and Dragon wasn’t an rear end in a top hat. Sure it didn’t turn out for the best, but at least he tried.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Given what happened in Immortal Hulk (where becoming a Hulk means you literally lose your soul in the process.) Bruce may have made the right choice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wonder how many heroes have stories about their blood. Cap definitely does. Arguably both the highest and lowest points in all of Spider-Man's history has to do with his blood. The Master Planner Saga kicks off because of a transfusion for Aunt May and then obviously the Clone Saga is self-explanatory.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Iron Man had that famous story about his blood alcohol content.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

In PAD's run on Hulk he was asked to give Jim Wilson a blood transfusion to save him from dying from AIDS. In the end they decided not to donate the blood for fear of what sort of monster he might become.

Should have gotten some mutant's blood.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Wolverine's blood and/or DNA comes up all the time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

People really want Geraldine Viswanathan

She is relatively unknown but is getting bigger and does have a starring movie coming out called The Broken Hearts Gallery and was in the comedy movie Blockers

I think a problem with her is that she already has a prior commitment for the TV series Miracle Workers and while she's not a big of a name as her costars she is the lead. A Marvel role would obviously be a bigger part but there's the problem of Marvel not having a great track record when it comes to actually doing TV stuff. Yes those failures weren't Disney + shows but I could still see someone with a steady gig being a little gunshy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

and lowest points in all of Spider-Man's history has to do with his radioactive jizz

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lobok posted:

Arguably both the highest and lowest points in all of Spider-Man's history has to do with his blood.

Gave us a badass theme song though

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Iron Man had that famous story about his blood alcohol content.

The armor can only be activated at a certain level of intoxication.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

muscles like this! posted:

I think a problem with her is that she already has a prior commitment for the TV series Miracle Workers and while she's not a big of a name as her costars she is the lead. A Marvel role would obviously be a bigger part but there's the problem of Marvel not having a great track record when it comes to actually doing TV stuff. Yes those failures weren't Disney + shows but I could still see someone with a steady gig being a little gunshy.

The thing about these prestigey tv shows is that an actor isn't nearly as tied to one because the shooting schedule isn't as insane as broadcast tv. Plus, they've already said Kamala is going to make the jump to movies so that's a nice bonus.

My question is how much value should be placed in getting someone who is actually of Pakistani descent to play the part?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah Scarlett is now available

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

howe_sam posted:

The thing about these prestigey tv shows is that an actor isn't nearly as tied to one because the shooting schedule isn't as insane as broadcast tv. Plus, they've already said Kamala is going to make the jump to movies so that's a nice bonus.

Somewhere Chloe Bennett just sighed.

I move she be given seven seasons as Dr. Aphra as recompense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I ALREADY MADE THAT JOKE

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dammit

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

site posted:

While her time in the franchise is soon over. It would be a bold move to let Scarlett Johanson play a Pakistani teenager.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

While her time in the franchise is soon over. It would be a bold move to let Scarlett Johanson play a Pakistani teenager.

She's just that good.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

howe_sam posted:

My question is how much value should be placed in getting someone who is actually of Pakistani descent to play the part?

I'm going to say getting a Muslim actress may be more important.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

For those of you who don't get the Scarlet jokes it's referencing her playing a Japanese woman in ghost in the shell and her reaction to the white washing controversy being... Less than stellar: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/07/scarlett-johansson-casting-controversy-tree

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rhyno posted:

The armor can only be activated at a certain level of intoxication.

So it has one of those breathalyzer lockouts, but it works in reverse?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

For those of you who don't get the Scarlet jokes it's referencing her playing a Japanese woman in ghost in the shell and her reaction to the white washing controversy being... Less than stellar: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/07/scarlett-johansson-casting-controversy-tree

She was talking about playing a trans man in that one, not GitS. I think she eventually dropped out of that movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

She was talking about playing a trans man in that one, not GitS. I think she eventually dropped out of that movie.

She didn't specify which movie she was talking about, so I think she was referring to both. Her full comment about it being political correctness gone wild is the part that basically makes me hope she's in a horrible wheat thresher incident and has to retire and I never have to see her in anything again.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

MH Knights posted:

I'm going to say getting a Muslim actress may be more important.

So the actress, who will be acting, has to actually follow the tenets of Islam in real life?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

So the actress, who will be acting, has to actually follow the tenets of Islam in real life?

In this case yes, that would be ideal, because Muslim actresses are offered extremely few roles and very biased and often times stereotyped roles due to their religion. They should not lose out on one of the roles where their religion is a central and important part of the character and is portrayed heroically and positively.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

where their religion is a central and important part of the character and is portrayed heroically and positively.

Technically, we don't know that. I highly doubt it would happen given the people in charge, but for all we know, it could be about Kamala overcoming her antiquated religious urges, which drive her towards evil and terrorism, before she becomes a devout Christian who fights for freedom and helps keeping America great by handing out her plotting Iman to the local cops.
Uggh, I feel sick writing that. I can hardly imagine a worse way to butcher a character.

But I don't fully agree, with regards to the actresses religion. In general I believe religion is a personal thing and no job should be given to someone, or be unattainable due to that. I don't think that would be a good thing, if a talented Pakistani actress would be rejected in favor of some Swedish girl who happens to be a Muslim.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 19, 2020

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
In an unprecedented suprise move Vin Diesel was annouced cast as Kamala Kahn.

When asked about the casting Co Creator G Willow Wilson responded saying "I'm so confused right now."

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 20, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

In an unprecedented suprise move Vin Diesel was annouced cast as Kamala Kahn.

When asked about the casting Co Creator responded say "I'm so confused right now."

He could pull it off.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

cant cook creole bream posted:

Technically, we don't know that. I highly doubt it would happen given the people in charge, but for all we know, it could be about Kamala overcoming her antiquated religious urges, which drive her towards evil and terrorism, before she becomes a devout Christian who fights for freedom and helps keeping America great by handing out her plotting Iman to the local cops.

Have you read the Ms marvel comics at all

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

site posted:

Have you read the Ms marvel comics at all

Yes I have. Which is why this radical reinterpretation for the big screen would be a "way to butcher a character."

As said, I don't believe at all that this will happen, but I guess my 2020 brain likes to come up with the worst possible versions of event.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dawgstar posted:

Somewhere Chloe Bennett just sighed.

I move she be given seven seasons as Dr. Aphra as recompense.

goddammit dude you put that thought in my head and the rest of my life will be a marathon of disappointment (well, moreso anyway) that it didn't happen.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

muscles like this! posted:

she’s also 25 which might be older than Marvel Studios wants for someone who’s presumably going to be playing a teenager for a few years. Granted, that hasn’t stopped Hollywood before

and afaik, she’s ethnically Indian rather than Pakistani, which may or may not be a concern

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

she’s also 25 which might be older than Marvel Studios wants for someone who’s presumably going to be playing a teenager for a few years. Granted, that hasn’t stopped Hollywood before

I mean, Tom Holland's 24 and his Peter Parker is still in high school so... yeah. I'd say the door's open for older casting.