Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone else have a dog that just farts drat-near every time they jump? Not a smelly one, just audibly. She's been doing it for as long as I've had her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My dogs jump when they fart.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aw I had a dog who was scared of her farts and would run away. Current one seems to let off silently and I am not a fan. Not a fan.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My dog farts whenever he’s startled or anxious, which is always. It’s hard not to find it endearing when he snaps to attention, absolutely rigid sitting up, and 1.5 seconds later there’s a little “phweeet!” from behind him.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Sab669 posted:

Anyone else have a dog that just farts drat-near every time they jump? Not a smelly one, just audibly. She's been doing it for as long as I've had her.

That’s just how dogs get a little extra propulsion for their jump.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

My dog farts whenever he’s startled or anxious, which is always. It’s hard not to find it endearing when he snaps to attention, absolutely rigid sitting up, and 1.5 seconds later there’s a little “phweeet!” from behind him.

That's actually pretty funny. What kind of dog was it?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I need some advice on how to get my foster to calm down once play time is over. The problem is that he gets hyper-stimulated, and even after I sit down in front of my computer to start working, he drops various saliva-drenched toys on my lap, expecting me to throw them. He does this for about 15-20 minutes, despite me repeatedly saying "No" in a firm voice. Sometimes he'll hop on my lap even.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Sab669 posted:

That's actually pretty funny. What kind of dog was it?

No idea, best guess is some kind of pit/hound/maybe Australian Shepard-ish kind of thing, but I’ve never bothered doing any of those tests to try and narrow it down

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Hello thread, popping in with a question but first:

My hound used to squeak out a little fart when he would stretch himself out with his front paws on the couch before getting on, like his whole body was going through minor peristalsis to push a little fart.

My question is about the Kurgo dog harness that I’ve seen recommended several places. I need to get a new harness for my runt 40 lb catahoula, and I’m not sure if it’s necessary to spring for the harness with the crash tested buckles, and whether they make the harness a lot more difficult to get on than with the easy clip buckles. I don’t have a problem with it being a little more challenging if my dog is going to be significantly safer in the car for the effort.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ugh my boy twice refused to go out the back and pee this morning, and then decided to pee all over my stuff in the lounge because he couldn't hold it any longer presumably. Back yard isn't good enough to pee in, he wants to go out front and let the whole neighborhood know he's boss. I always take him to work but as punishment have left him behind today, and he knew that he did bad as he didn't fight this decision much, but it's not fun seeing him now worked up on the camera feed while I'm here. Also I'm now likely to come home to more pee and probably poop in the house so I'm not sure how effective this will even be.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

You not taking him to work with you is not going to be associated as a punishment for peeing on your things.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ugh my boy twice refused to go out the back and pee this morning, and then decided to pee all over my stuff in the lounge because he couldn't hold it any longer presumably. Back yard isn't good enough to pee in, he wants to go out front and let the whole neighborhood know he's boss. I always take him to work but as punishment have left him behind today, and he knew that he did bad as he didn't fight this decision much, but it's not fun seeing him now worked up on the camera feed while I'm here. Also I'm now likely to come home to more pee and probably poop in the house so I'm not sure how effective this will even be.

You need to keep him out back until he goes then stuff treats down his mouth when it happens. He doesn't have the human brain to string together his punishment for peeing inside. He likely thinks he's supposed to go out front and just couldn't hold it.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

We got a puppy last night.

My 6 year old turned out to be allergic.

We had to bring it back today.

Huge bummer and really feeling down. :(

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ruggan posted:

We got a puppy last night.

My 6 year old turned out to be allergic.

We had to bring it back today.

Huge bummer and really feeling down. :(

Sorry to hear about your kid. At least you have a new puppy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hazo posted:

:five:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Hazo posted:

haha

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, apparently one of the other pups from my aunt’s dog had to be returned because the buyers’ toddler was terrified of her. :( Though she managed to get another owner for her within a week, at least.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Would you consider one of those hypoallergenic breeds? A friend of mine had to get some Bichon kind of things because of allergies.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Sab669 posted:

Would you consider one of those hypoallergenic breeds? A friend of mine had to get some Bichon kind of things because of allergies.

Yeah. We might be getting a poodle in the future although I’m not a huge fan of the “poodle” look. If we did we’d probably keep it trimmed pretty short.

Going to do some degree of allergy testing first and also do more introductory visits with a prospective dog next time.

We did do introductory visits with this puppy before bringing it home but the dog wasn’t up in our daughter’s face as much.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ruggan posted:

We did do introductory visits with this puppy before bringing it home but the dog wasn’t up in our daughter’s face as much.

"Kiddo, I'm gonna need you to sniff this dog, real hard, to see if it'll be okay for you"

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lawnie posted:

My question is about the Kurgo dog harness that I’ve seen recommended several places. I need to get a new harness for my runt 40 lb catahoula, and I’m not sure if it’s necessary to spring for the harness with the crash tested buckles, and whether they make the harness a lot more difficult to get on than with the easy clip buckles. I don’t have a problem with it being a little more challenging if my dog is going to be significantly safer in the car for the effort.

We've used this Kurgo from day one. If your dog is extremely squirmy while getting suited up, you might have a bit of trouble, but once you learn how it clips and get it to muscle memory (everything is slightly curved and can spin around pretty freely, but it all only goes together one way,) the nesting buckles are every bit as fast as the usual plastic squeeze clips. I'd think the bigger problem would just be getting your dog to sit still for the extra 5 seconds while you did both sides, rather than the 1 clip that's typical for easy on harnesses.

I can't really speak to increased safety in the car though; luckily we've never been in an accident with her belted in!

EDIT: The promo video for the harness shows how the clips work about 25 seconds in.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 13, 2020

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

kirbysuperstar posted:

"Kiddo, I'm gonna need you to sniff this dog, real hard, to see if it'll be okay for you"

Sadly pretty much

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Boxman posted:

We've used this Kurgo from day one. If your dog is extremely squirmy while getting suited up, you might have a bit of trouble, but once you learn how it clips and get it to muscle memory (everything is slightly curved and can spin around pretty freely, but it all only goes together one way,) the nesting buckles are every bit as fast as the usual plastic squeeze clips. I'd think the bigger problem would just be getting your dog to sit still for the extra 5 seconds while you did both sides, rather than the 1 clip that's typical for easy on harnesses.

I can't really speak to increased safety in the car though; luckily we've never been in an accident with her belted in!

EDIT: The promo video for the harness shows how the clips work about 25 seconds in.

Thanks for this! I ordered one.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

My puppy is six months old. When he is in the back yard he likes to pick up and chew pieces of much. He does this every time he goes outside, like some kind of fixation.

When I see him do it I wrestle the mulch out of his mouth because I am afraid it will harm him if swallowed.

Annoyingly, this means I feel that I can't let him into the yard without very close supervision. I'd like to be able to let him out to go to the bathroom without having to watch him like a hawk.

He doesn't like giving up the mulch so sometimes this devolves into me following him around the yard while he tries to shield his piece of mulch from me. I don't yell or run after him, I try to be calm and matter of fact. I do not want him to associate me closely with uncomfortably grabbing his mouth, scarily chasing, etc. (It's actually kind of funny to watch me slowly follow him around asking politely to take a toy instead of his mulch.)

1) Am I correct in assuming this is potentially harmful?
2) What suggestions do you have to abate this behavior?

Sup fellow mulch-eating-puppy owner! Our almost-three-month-old rhodesian does that too and it's highly annoying. What's worse, when she has something she's not supposed to, she refuses to give it up for a toy or treat. We haven't found The Thing to get her distracted yet

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We got our puppy in December and haven't been able to socialize her as much as we'd like because of the pandemic. We've been taking her on walks around our neighborhood and encouraging her when she stays calm around other people/dogs (she gets curious and whiny but not aggressive) but that's still not a lot of exposure. Today, she bolted out the front door and charged at a group of kids across the street. She didn't bite any of them, just ran up to them and barked, but that's small consolation. What can we do to curb this behavior?

I think for starters I’m going to spend some time with her on the front porch every night to teach her that people walking down the sidewalks aren’t threats.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 14, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fallom posted:

I think for starters I’m going to spend some time with her on the front porch every night to teach her that people walking down the sidewalks aren’t threats.

Sounds like a good idea. I've never had a dog like that so I can't really help.

I just need to rant :( Friday I came home from work and found my dog ripped a hole in my new bedsheets. Just bought them a week ago. Annoying, but oh well... Then I go out to the gym later that night, come home and find that one of them (probably the same dog) tore apart this little pouch full of rice* and now the two of them have been having super nasty diarrhea all weekend. Three different instances of house making GBS threads, including last night which I found just before going to work today. And I'm probably going to have more to clean out today after work. SIIIIIIIIIIIGH.

* A friend sewed this pouch full of rice that you just microwave for like 5 minutes and it stays extremely warm for quite a long time, really nice to have in the winter and just throw it in a pouch in a sweater or whatever. So yea, they ate like 4 year old rice that's been nuked dozens of times :barf:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Dang it. My new pup, Ziggy, has been doing well with potty training. No accidents for a month, until this morning.

He gets too excited in the morning as soon as me or my wife stirs. We take him out at like 10pm and wake up around 6-7. He's around 7 months old now, I don't feel like he is too young to hold his bladder that long anymore. So, how do I stop him from getting so excited in the morning? I'm thinking the excitement led up to his accident this morning.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Our pup is 12 weeks old and got her Lyme Disease vaccination today. She was fine immediately after, and napped for a few hours in her crate. She didn’t immediately come out of her crate when she woke up which was weird but the vet said there would be lethargy. We tried to pick her up to take her outside to pee and she started hysterically crying like she was in pain. She’s moving about fine and not limping anywhere, so I’m not sure if she’s just sore from the shot, or if there’s something more serious going on.

Any thoughts?

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Fallom posted:

We got our puppy in December and haven't been able to socialize her as much as we'd like because of the pandemic. We've been taking her on walks around our neighborhood and encouraging her when she stays calm around other people/dogs (she gets curious and whiny but not aggressive) but that's still not a lot of exposure. Today, she bolted out the front door and charged at a group of kids across the street. She didn't bite any of them, just ran up to them and barked, but that's small consolation. What can we do to curb this behavior?

If it's fear-induced the basic steps are to manage situations so that she reacts as infrequently as possible (because the barking is a self-reinforcing behavior; she's scared, she barked, nothing happened, so she'll go with barking the next time as well), and to do counter-conditioning and desensitization (exposing her to uncomfortable situations, but at an intensity where she won't feel the need to react; and while doing so rewarding her so as to have her associate the uncomfortable situations with a positive stimulus). If you do miscalculate and she does react, don't punish her, just get her out of the situation as quickly as possible (the reasoning behind this being that punishment might suppress the behavior, but you don't know which behavior will replace it). So you're on the right track with the porch idea. That said, it might be something completely different, and getting a trainer to do an assessment is probably a good idea.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I got a sweet baby rhodesian ridgeback puppy from a local shelter. She's 4 months old and just about as cute as it gets. She's sweet, likes being trained, is halfway housebroken and is learning how to leave the cats alone. All in all a great pup, but she kinda stinks! Pit bulls have a certain doggy smell and she smells like that. What's your favorite shampoo to use to manage normal dog smell?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 17, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We use this or something extremely similar: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/burts-bees-oatmeal-dog-shampoo

Our dog is an am staff so probably very similar smell, this keeps him smelling really good for like 5-7 days, which is honestly when we should bathe him again because the missus is allergic to animal dander, but we are often lazy and end up doing every 2 weeks.

Also, if he gets wet from rain/pool/hose/lake/whatever forget about it, he immediately smells like his old self.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I would say with short hair dogs, you can definitely over bathe them removing the natural oils from their coats. Just make sure you're not bathing them so often that they get dry skin, flakes or dry coats. It should have a healthy sheen.

Honestly my vizsla only gets a full bath every couple of months, maybe twice a year. We'll use wipes or a wet rag every now and then as a once over

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is there a thread for dealing or soliciting advise on how to deal with pet insurance claims?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

I got a sweet baby rhodesian ridgeback puppy from a local shelter. She's 4 months old and just about as cute as it gets. She's sweet, likes being trained, is halfway housebroken and is learning how to leave the cats alone. All in all a great pup, but she kinda stinks! Pit bulls have a certain doggy smell and she smells like that. What's your favorite shampoo to use to manage normal dog smell?

I've got a ridgeback/rottie cross, who looks just like your girl. And yeah my boy is really sweet as well. Wonderful temperament.

We shampooed our boy early on, but have given up. He sleeps in a kennel outside and goes back to smelling like he does after one night in his kennel. But he isn't that bad smelling, maybe the rottie in him helps with that? Sorry, not very helpful, just posting because your dog looks like mine :)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kalthir posted:

If it's fear-induced the basic steps are to manage situations so that she reacts as infrequently as possible (because the barking is a self-reinforcing behavior; she's scared, she barked, nothing happened, so she'll go with barking the next time as well), and to do counter-conditioning and desensitization (exposing her to uncomfortable situations, but at an intensity where she won't feel the need to react; and while doing so rewarding her so as to have her associate the uncomfortable situations with a positive stimulus). If you do miscalculate and she does react, don't punish her, just get her out of the situation as quickly as possible (the reasoning behind this being that punishment might suppress the behavior, but you don't know which behavior will replace it). So you're on the right track with the porch idea. That said, it might be something completely different, and getting a trainer to do an assessment is probably a good idea.

Thanks for the advice. She's been acting a lot calmer and barking a lot less since I started spending time with her on the front porch. A couple of our neighbors were nice enough to meet us in the driveway so we could do some interactions up close. She started off barking a lot just seeing them approach, then (with the encouragement of a lot of treats) became calm enough to lie down within 10 feet of them and shift her attention to other things. She did growl a bunch when they approached her but I'll still call that progress.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Hey, I've never owned a dog before, live alone, work full time (currently working from home), am a neat freak, and am looking for breed recommendations for possible adoption.

Was very much sold on greyhounds as the closest dog to a cat in terms of maintenance (shoutout to the lovely helpful peeps in the greyhound megathread) with short walks, little shedding, no stink, etc. But all the adoption places I've got in touch with want you to have a walled off yard (apparently due to ex-racers not being housetrained) for greyhounds.

So I'm considering options while I wait for a house trained greyhound to appear.

Extra info:
- I live in a 55.6 square meter flat/apartment but it's ground floor and has its own entrance, so more like a lil bungalow.
- When I go back to working 9 odd hours a day, I've budgeted for getting someone to pop in every weekday to give the dog some attention and bring it out to go toilet or whatever, MAYBE taking it for a walk. But it could still be on its own for like 5 hours which is a concern.
- Definitely like the idea of an older dog, very sure I could not handle a puppy.
- I like chilled out dogs. (I've seen how much energy a black labrador has and that's a no.)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Hey, I've never owned a dog before, live alone, work full time (currently working from home), am a neat freak, and am looking for breed recommendations for possible adoption.

Was very much sold on greyhounds as the closest dog to a cat in terms of maintenance (shoutout to the lovely helpful peeps in the greyhound megathread) with short walks, little shedding, no stink, etc. But all the adoption places I've got in touch with want you to have a walled off yard (apparently due to ex-racers not being housetrained) for greyhounds.

So I'm considering options while I wait for a house trained greyhound to appear.

Extra info:
- I live in a 55.6 square meter flat/apartment but it's ground floor and has its own entrance, so more like a lil bungalow.
- When I go back to working 9 odd hours a day, I've budgeted for getting someone to pop in every weekday to give the dog some attention and bring it out to go toilet or whatever, MAYBE taking it for a walk. But it could still be on its own for like 5 hours which is a concern.
- Definitely like the idea of an older dog, very sure I could not handle a puppy.
- I like chilled out dogs. (I've seen how much energy a black labrador has and that's a no.)

I know a few greyhound rescues that say on their site that they want a yard, but don't actually enforce it. They're more concerned about finding a good home and it's usually dog-specific whether or not a yard is needed. (Usually mostly for younger dogs).
It's probably also worth looking at Galgos. Very similar in temperement.

One note about shedding. While Greyhounds (and Danes), don't shed a lot, it's still a large dog. You will get get (short) dog hair everywhere.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
And short dog hair needles itself into things and it's very difficult to remove even with a vacuum.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's worth it, though :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Puppy is getting so big.