Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I found this website that ranks video games, so I realized you could use it to get an empirical ranking of the Final Fantasy games from best to worst. This is sure to solve all internet flame wars in perpetuity. Here's the ranking:

FF6 > FF7 > FFT > FF9 > FF4 > Vagrant Story > FFX > FF5 > FF8 > FF12 > FFTA > FFTA2 > FFCC > FF15 > FF14 > FF3 > FF1 > FF13-3 (Lightning Returns) > FF13-2 > FF13 > Chocobo Racing > FFX2 > FF Adventure > FF Mystic Quest > FF Legend 2 > FF Legend > FF2

The only mainline game that's not included is FF11 because not enough people rated it for some reason. Looking forward to my Nobel Peace Prize. Please direct all effusive praise and admiration to my DMs. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
FF Adventure is a Mana game you clod

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm glad that this, the Official Ranking of Final Fantasy Games from Best to Worst, mostly lines up with my personal opinions.

I would personally put Vagrant Story lower and X-2 higher but who am I to argue with the Official Ranking of Final Fantasy Games from Best to Worst

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Heath posted:

FF Adventure is a Mana game you clod

If they can continue calling these games "role-playing games" despite not having any elements of role-playing then they can call FF Adventure a Final Fantasy

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Hey everybody let's enjoy the next 50 pages of posts by mmo addicts assuring us that ff14 is ranked too low and "Gets really good after the 60th hour I'm telling u guys for reals"

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vagrant Story being on the list is the real victory here.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It begins and ends with X-2. It's a Magical Girl game with combo hits and a ridiculous list of requirements in order to get the Truly Good ending. Also, it's fun.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There is only one Final Fantasy, the others are merely sequels, and thusly inferior.

My logic is undeniable.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
checks out

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
6 and 9 are always rated higher than they deserve, and X and 8 lower than they deserve.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

for a game called "Final" Fantasy there sure are a lot of them

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

5 is the best.

lol at ranking 7 in the top two. All the other PS1 Final Fantasy games are better.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Who What Now posted:

6 and 9 are always rated higher than they deserve, and X and 8 lower than they deserve.

This is a good opinion. I feel like 9 got a lot of retrospective love after getting kind of overlooked at launch, and maybe opinion has over-corrected? But then, 8's systems are confusing bordering on unplayable, so maybe I'm the one trying to over-correct.

Tarkus V2.0
May 30, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

5 is the best.

lol at ranking 7 in the top two. All the other PS1 Final Fantasy games are better.

I'd say, for PS1 non-tactic games it's FF9 > FF7 > FF8

FF8 was charming and fun in some ways but really convoluted and too deus ex machina for my tastes. My favorite thing is how easy it is to gank the battle system with Card abilities and grinding magic.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
FFTA is the best game with a cute mage doggo that made me sad.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Of the games I have played here is the objectively correct ranking:

6 is overrated because old nerds played it while they were young, even though it doesn't really hold up and the World of Ruin is a slog. Thank you.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
7 Remake is the best Final Fantasy game, followed by 6, 9, and whatever one was the US 2 on SNES

Tarkus V2.0
May 30, 2008

zakharov posted:

6 is overrated because old nerds played it while they were young, even though it doesn't really hold up and the World of Ruin is a slog. Thank you.

I agree with that, even as an old nerd. I played FF6 just after FF4 about 23 years ago. Could never get into it. It just wasn't a fun game to me. Only thing that sticks with me is the Narshe mines music, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvNoU5qz6tg. Still excellent.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Honestly I say they all suck and the best one is FFVI because it looks and sounds kind of like actual good game Chrono Trigger. Something about Final Fantasy just does not loving gel with me. I've played all the main ones except the MMOs and Lightning Returns and the only one I've ever finished is FFXV because it's short and they didn't get around to implementing much of the traditional idiotic FF plot so aside from princess whatsherface eating poo poo completely out of context (lol) and the last 40 minutes it's just a cool road trip with the boys.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zakharov posted:

Of the games I have played here is the objectively correct ranking:

I replayed 6 recently and it held up really well. It's easily the best FF game.

I played 9 for the first time recently and only thought it was OK. Each battle taking 25 minutes didn't help things. It just felt slow as rear end.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
FF13 was bad, FF15 was worse, and I'm going to buy 16 because I'm a dumb rear end in a top hat.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
VS, FFT&A & XII were the most fun to play, with, oddly, the least deranged memes due to terrible writing, although, I guess the writing is also p. subjective. I enjoyed the cringy cheesy lines of Tactics, much more satisfying than "Planets dyin' Cloud"
VII's 4 disk extravaganza is impressive though, and the materia system was sort of elegant.
Honorable mention to AwfulFantasy as well.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

fishing with the fam posted:

FF13 was bad, FF15 was worse, and I'm going to buy 16 because I'm a dumb rear end in a top hat.

I never thought about it until now, but 13 and 15 are opposites: 13 is "run down a hallway for 30 hours until you get to the open field where the game gets fun and the tutorial is finally over, promise" and 15 is "run around in an open field for 30 hours then get on a literal train to the end of the game because we forgot to build it."

13 never held my interest, but I actually really like 15. The ending is meh, some of the characters are misused (Ravus and Lunafreya for sure, if you ask me), but driving around with the Chocobros and doing side quests never got old. 16 looks alright, but we have just one trailer and they've already said that more info won't be coming until next year.

Edit: I think 15's world is strangely captivating to me. A modern city with a monster-filled frontier right outside, and weird Fantasy Venice a ferry ride away. I always get a kick out of the product placement, too, like how the gas stations accept American Express in a world where America doesn't exist.

JagerNinja fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 18, 2020

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Legends of legaia

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I have no opinion on this.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

7 was the worst.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They're all bad

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Soul Reaver

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I remember making an all fighter party in the first game thinking it would be terrible and unbalanced but they were a steamroller.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

The Spirits Within

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Tarkus V2.0 posted:

I agree with that, even as an old nerd. I played FF6 just after FF4 about 23 years ago. Could never get into it. It just wasn't a fun game to me. Only thing that sticks with me is the Narshe mines music, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvNoU5qz6tg. Still excellent.

The little sigh that punctuates the phrases of this song is a stroke of genius. The song itself sounds nervous and exhausted.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

7 was the worst.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

fishing with the fam posted:

same, extremely

Final Fantasy is a steady climb from the NES days to 6/7, then a small dropoff and dip before it plateaus for a bit, and then there's a decline followed almost immediately by a plunge to the Earth's very core

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

I hated 13, like hated it. I was so hyped and it was just soul-crushing, everything was gibberish, you couldn't do poo poo the game didn't want you to, etc. 13-2 I kinda liked, 13-3 I couldn't get into.

15 I found kinda charming but I never finished it, I didn't like the floaty combat and everytime I took a break from it I couldn't remember what the hell was going on (but the bros were cool.)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Of the ones I've played it's X > 8 > 7 > 9 > 5 > 4 > 6. I never played 6 as a kid like I did the other except 5, and I like 5's job system a ton. They're all some of the best RPGs around, though.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Most of them don't have stories worth a drat and have boring rear end easy to break combat.

The best ones are the ones left unplayed.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Awful Fantasy is superior to regular FF6.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
XV was so loving infuriating. I think it’s the worst written/directed game of all time, at a macro level. It’s like playing a few dozen random stripes of different games with different stories and tones and characters. The graphics were great and the world was cool. I don’t understand how people liked the main characters though, they had no personality other “gruff”, or “inexplicably British”

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Jfc how could you put 6 or 7 in front of 9, are you insane?

I'll give you tactics though, thats a fine rear end game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

I hated 13, like hated it. I was so hyped and it was just soul-crushing, everything was gibberish, you couldn't do poo poo the game didn't want you to, etc. 13-2 I kinda liked, 13-3 I couldn't get into.

15 I found kinda charming but I never finished it, I didn't like the floaty combat and everytime I took a break from it I couldn't remember what the hell was going on (but the bros were cool.)

I liked 13-3. Haven't seen a game with a cool timer system since Majora's Mask.