Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Thinking of getting the Wing Zero Ver Ka. Doesn't look bad, and despite dunking on it I don't hate the design, though I do like the TV Series Zero better. Not to mention I think the newer the better, and from what I heard that tends to go double with Ver Ka designs.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm looking at the Kobu instructions and what the everloving gently caress am I supposed to do here? The ruler doesn't show millimeters

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The image isn't to scale, but that looks like centimetres to me. So cut them at 3cm and 4cm?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm a fool and don't know metric, thanks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DigitalRaven posted:

Still waiting on the RG Ground Type...

Or the Gouf Gustom...

Zeether posted:

I'm looking at the Kobu instructions and what the everloving gently caress am I supposed to do here? The ruler doesn't show millimeters

That seems like a very uncomfortable way to pilot a mech.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

That seems like a very uncomfortable way to pilot a mech.

It's basically power armour, so she's moving the mech arms and legs with her arms and legs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's basically power armour, so she's moving the mech arms and legs with her arms and legs.

Maybe they should have made the power armor big enough so that she could stand up straight in it. :v:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Zeether posted:

Quick conversion:
30mm are roughly one and one fifth inch.
40mm are roughly one and three fifths of an inch.

If you want to be super accurate look up an online conversion tool.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tarquinn posted:

Quick conversion:
30mm are roughly one and one fifth inch.
40mm are roughly one and three fifths of an inch.

If you want to be super accurate look up an online conversion tool.

Divide mm by 25.4 to get inches.

Multiply inches by 25.4 to get mm.

Do this enough times and you'll still never be able to do it in your head, but at least you'll remember 25.4, and you've basically got a calculator on you at all times now.

e: one of these days I'll finally remember the conversion factor for psi to kPa.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Been working on the dendro. God drat you can tell this is an oldie of a kit. So so so much sanding, filing, fit checking & correcting, and gap filling. The Stamen actually looks like a decent little HG. was expecting much worse for it's age.

It's a really fun kit, though. I just wouldn't rec it to a casual builder.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Are there alternatives to Mr. Mark Setter out there? It seems like it's out of stock everywhere.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zeether posted:

Are there alternatives to Mr. Mark Setter out there? It seems like it's out of stock everywhere.

Micro Set or Micro Sol depending on your exact needs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's going to be a P-Bandai variant of the MGEX Unicorn. It is exactly the same as the retail version, but comes in a different box.

Here is the retail box

And the P-Bandai box

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 19, 2020

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I can't even be mad about that cause that's just pathetic. Literally "Malibu Stacy with New Hat!"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They did that with the RG Unicorn and Banshee, some SP box that was just Unicorn mode instead of Destroy mode. They weren’t P-Bandai though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Bit of a derail but this is a thing I've never gotten about power armour. Enhanced strength is one thing but the endurance of a suit thst relies on 1:1 human input is still limited by the fitness of the pilot. Tony Stark can lift a truck as iron man but unless he's got the endurance of an Olympic runner he's still going to get tired moving his body.

I haven't seen many franchises that really address this shortcoming of power armour outside of Halo (where non augmented humans trying to use Mjolnir armour literally kill themselves because their bodies can't keep up with the suit reaction times.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bit of a derail but this is a thing I've never gotten about power armour. Enhanced strength is one thing but the endurance of a suit thst relies on 1:1 human input is still limited by the fitness of the pilot. Tony Stark can lift a truck as iron man but unless he's got the endurance of an Olympic runner he's still going to get tired moving his body.

I haven't seen many franchises that really address this shortcoming of power armour outside of Halo (where non augmented humans trying to use Mjolnir armour literally kill themselves because their bodies can't keep up with the suit reaction times.)

Yes, but he's going to have to put less effort into moving his body with the suit helping with the weight.

You see it with the real world medical assistance technology. Muscles that can barely move a limb can keep working for hours when the exosuit is taking up most of the strain.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

The whole point of power(ed) armour is that the armour is powered and assists the pilot in physically moving itself (in addition to generally enhancing strength and speed).

It's not any more limited by the pilot's endurance than any other form of piloting, whether that's waggling joysticks in a cockpit, a mobile trace system, or a direct man-machine interface.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

The whole point of power(ed) armour is that the armour is powered and assists the pilot in physically moving itself (in addition to generally enhancing strength and speed).

It's not any more limited by the pilot's endurance than any other form of piloting, whether that's waggling joysticks in a cockpit, a mobile trace system, or a direct man-machine interface.

More relevantly; the wearer is actually exerting far less effort because the suit supplants their own muscles, so they have more stamina than they would doing something unaided. Someone unfit in power armor and no fitness training could outrun an olympic sprinter over 100m and barely break a sweat (broadly speaking).

Spartan Armor is a different problem, because it's tuned to the point that a normal wearer will overcorrect, the suit multiplies that, they try to correct, and turns into a twitchy broken mess on the floor :yikes:. The trick is long relaxed gaits and motions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess then its more an issue of how it is presented visually. Tony Stark or Master Chief moving and running like regular people only faster still *looks* like they're exerting a lot of energy to move, when they should be moving more like each footstep is half a jump and they're dashing.

So good on Gundam for having thruster assisted movement in space or Nemos bunny hopping with jets when theyre on Earth.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Thinking about going back and top coating some of my kits but I'm supremely worried I'm gonna gently caress it up and end up with white spots. I know it's generally good to just apply 1 coat but I feel like I'm going to overdo it

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

http://schizophonic9.com/re6/bandai_cupnoodle.html

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Is it just me or is there a lot more tasty stuff in Japanese cup noodles, if this kit is to be believed?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Just Dan Again posted:

Is it just me or is there a lot more tasty stuff in Japanese cup noodles, if this kit is to be believed?

Checks out

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
Thank you to everyone who pointed me to the correct pair of GodHands! They are ordered.

I might pick up a Bandai kit because it's been a while since I did true Gunpla (I've mostly been wading in Kotobukiya waters). So far I've got three contenders:

MG Barbatos
MG Sinaju Stein
MG Dynames

If I had to pick one, which would you go for? Is there another contender I should consider? I will potentially be airbrushing these kits assuming my old equipment is good and I can invest in some new gear.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

runwiled posted:

Thank you to everyone who pointed me to the correct pair of GodHands! They are ordered.

I might pick up a Bandai kit because it's been a while since I did true Gunpla (I've mostly been wading in Kotobukiya waters). So far I've got three contenders:

MG Barbatos
MG Sinaju Stein
MG Dynames

If I had to pick one, which would you go for? Is there another contender I should consider? I will potentially be airbrushing these kits assuming my old equipment is good and I can invest in some new gear.

Barbatos by a hair, then Dynames, then Sinanju Stein in a respectable third place. None of those three are tragic, but the Barbatos and Dynames are particularly good so go for whichever is on discount!

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Midjack posted:

Barbatos by a hair, then Dynames, then Sinanju Stein in a respectable third place. None of those three are tragic, but the Barbatos and Dynames are particularly good so go for whichever is on discount!

They both are and for the same price D:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

runwiled posted:

MG Barbatos
MG Sinaju Stein
MG Dynames

Barbatos is an insanely good kit. Not a ton of gimmicks but everything is so well engineered. The way they tighten the ball joints of the front skirting armor by locking them into rails was really clever, you’ll just find tons of things like that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Barbatos is an insanely good kit. Not a ton of gimmicks but everything is so well engineered. The way they tighten the ball joints of the front skirting armor by locking them into rails was really clever, you’ll just find tons of things like that.

I'd say it's decent on the gimmick front. Telescoping mace, the backpack adjusts to deploy the collapsible smoothbore, rotating Ahab Reactors, hidden knives, working pistons, dual opening mechanisms for the cockpit... not a ton of things, but not a small supply of them either, and the inner frame is top tier.

I highly recommend it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
N'thing the Barbatos for pick-up. On top of everything else that has been said, it's also a pose God.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Zeether posted:

Microsol and Microset are good stuff, but if you're a clumsy oaf like me, you might want to also consider Tamiya Mark Set, since it comes in a heavier, broader-based bottle so you're not constantly knocking the things over.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is it generally okay to paint pilot figures without priming, or can I get away with just laying down a base coat of white or something and then painting over that?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The main advantage of primer is that it helps paint adhere better to the primed surface than to bare plastic, which is necessary if you're going to be manipulating the kit, otherwise the paint is liable to get damaged.

Unless you're planning on taking it in and out of your kit frequently, this isn't really something you have to worry about for pilot figurines. :v:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

The main advantage of primer is that it helps paint adhere better to the primed surface than to bare plastic, which is necessary if you're going to be manipulating the kit, otherwise the paint is liable to get damaged.

Unless you're planning on taking it in and out of your kit frequently, this isn't really something you have to worry about for pilot figurines. :v:
It's the Sakura Wars kit and the pilot's basically stuck in there completely so I doubt I need to

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Any suggestions for how to make a glowy eye on a head that has a black base coat? I could just put the sticker on it, but I'd rather paint it if it's possible.

Edit: Nevermind, a piece that I need to be white is stuck to the head, so I resolved to just paint it with a darker shade.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 20, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Glowy eye is pretty easy, just build up to it with a couple shades. Like, if you want it to glow blue, paint a dark blue a little outside the edge of the edge of the eye, then a lighter blue inside of that, and then white inside that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Zeether posted:

It's the Sakura Wars kit and the pilot's basically stuck in there completely so I doubt I need to

Since the pilot is a big part of that kit I'd prime it just so you get a consistent paint finish

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Since the pilot is a big part of that kit I'd prime it just so you get a consistent paint finish

I'd do that but then I'd have to go find flesh color paint for the face

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Zeether posted:

I'd do that but then I'd have to go find flesh color paint for the face

If there's any tabletop miniatures store near you they should have a variety of skin tones and shades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'll probably get primer then, but I don't know if I can spray it outside without a mask on or not. I don't want to risk getting poo poo in my lungs.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 21, 2020