Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to figure out how often this song is played on the radio. I can't tell if I'm schizophrenic or not, because I feel as if the radio is trying to tell me something, or rather a spiritual force is using the radio to tell me something. I find it really unusual on how often I've been hearing Puttin' on the Ritz by Taco on the radio. A few weeks ago I was very intoxicated and put the song on Youtube. Then that week I heard it on the way home. Then yesterday I heard it at work. Then today I heard it twice at work within the span of 4 hours. It seems very unlikely that this could occur naturally.

Please, just post about every time you hear a natural occurrence of Puttin' on the Ritz by Taco. I don't think other versions of this song really count. It has to be the Taco version. I did indeed by a lottery ticket today. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

The extended version rules

~gotta dance!~

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Suckin on da Clitz

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
What's a radio?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nothing, what’s a radio with you?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I haven't heard it in a while, but I saw this thread a few hours ago and now it's stuck in my head.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I like this song but I can tell you my radio stations never play it. And I listen to a lot of 80s/90s pop stations. So you might be on to something.

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cosmik Slop posted:

The extended version rules

~gotta dance!~

Yup, I like that too. A few years ago I had a similar issue where every time I would go visit my family I would hear Margaritaville over the span of like 4 years. It would play once per visitation whether it was at a Buffalo Wild Wings, in the car, in a store, whatever. I chalk that up to just coincidence because that's a much more popular song in my opinion than Puttin' on the Ritz. Margaritaville was a false prophet; this feels much more like the real thing.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
lol

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Does it count if I hear it in my head every time I see the thread title?

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I Shot The Serif posted:

Does it count if I hear it in my head every time I see the thread title?

No, but collective consciousness suggests that it will cause the radio stations to play it even more.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

do u think this is the universe trying to tell you to dress nicer OP? also bump because you Tricked me into listening to it.

(also, what is the other 20's throwback that I always confuse this with?)

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
They don't make music like that anymore!

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Linux Pirate posted:

I haven't heard it in a while, but I saw this thread a few hours ago and now it's stuck in my head.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why would you put on a cracker? How do you even attempt to begin such a feat

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I was listening to the radio earlier and it wasn't on OP but I'll let you know.

titty fat pizza
Jan 1, 2013
I heard it today but I downloaded it and played it does that count?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Legit just heard it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I can't believe there still hasn't been a flood of thinkpieces about the song's racist origins

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I have a friend who used to be a touring musician for some ska bands; years ago he told us that one aspect of the modern music biz is that terrestrial radio stations license catalog songs for airplay in package deals, and said deals could last anywhere from months in certain markets to years on end. And of course media conglomerates will swap certain songs and/or designated playlists around with the stations they own in the same market. Hence why sometimes one station will play Song X and then another station owned by the same company also start to play it, even just a few minutes after. The deals usually allow the same station to play the song multiple times a day for a lower rate.

So yes, OP, not only was Taco's only hit song a cover, but in all likelihood it got a new lease on life, possibly only in your area, just by chance of being cheap enough to license that it was justifiable to pluck it out of the vaults and re-play it way too often for a contractually set amount of time.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle gave it a good whirl in Young Frankenstein

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

shame on an IGA posted:

I can't believe there still hasn't been a flood of thinkpieces about the song's racist origins

Don’t do taco like that he did his best

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

I only listen to the Taco Channel on Sirius. Thread's about to be bumped every four minutes.

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

bump

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Great song its never on the radio here

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I like the tap dancing

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Did this "Taco" fella have any other good songs?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"Ruttin' In The Pitz"

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

"Ruttin' In The Pitz"

Extreme Weird Al energy

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Everyone who plays it Post!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OUnedMCCW0

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

There's alternatively a black face version as well.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

kazr posted:

Extreme Weird Al energy

"It's a living"

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
I've never heard this song on the radio OP

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Granted I'm watching it on my phone, but this seems weirdly good quality for a video from 1983.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Cyril Sneer posted:

Granted I'm watching it on my phone, but this seems weirdly good quality for a video from 1983.

They were putting on the Ritz duh

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

jeepers creepers, op

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Went to Home Depot today, approximately 25 minutes in the car. Did not hear Taco.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

saint anime posted:

There's alternatively a black face version as well.

oh hell yes

Found it

Its on DailyMotion
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2n8gft

Edit: I have a Black and White Minstrel Show record in my collection and as much as I want to destroy it, it serves far better as an amazing horrifying tool, Hell, I remember seeing them on TV as a kid in the early 80's.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 19, 2020

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
I thought I was the only one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

I'm eating a taco, is that good enough?