Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/killakow/status/1302325980376244224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
Would the main character in Cleaver be considered a Gabaghoul?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Would the main character in Cleaver be considered a Gabaghoul?

:hmmyes:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/Sodakick/status/1302388442840530946

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Me watching the 8th season of House, just a few episodes from the finale: WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS SHOW WHY IS HE INCAPABLE OF PERFORMING AN ACT OF GOOD WHEN WILL HE CHANGE

watching the Sopranos: this is great

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just finished season 3 on my rewatch and 2 main observations stick out:

1) lol at "the US army hardly ever even goes to war anymore"

2) Rosalie's actor really loving nailed the grieving mother act. The part where she screams before they start lowering the casket is almost hard to watch.

I will say though, that for all the "hard to watch" emotional scenes that this show is capable of, nothing makes me full-body flinch quite so much as Artie deciding he's in love with Adriana. Just...the dumbest, most doomed possible thing that a person can do

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just finished season 3 on my rewatch and 2 main observations stick out:

1) lol at "the US army hardly ever even goes to war anymore"

"How hard is it to get on a plane!?!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

I will say though, that for all the "hard to watch" emotional scenes that this show is capable of, nothing makes me full-body flinch quite so much as Artie deciding he's in love with Adriana. Just...the dumbest, most doomed possible thing that a person can do

It's like watching a slow-motion car wreck, the way Adriana's face falls when she realizes he is coming on to her is a big oof moment too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

"How hard is it to get on a plane!?!"

It's like watching a slow-motion car wreck, the way Adriana's face falls when she realizes he is coming on to her is a big oof moment too.

The scene where he confesses it to Tony is great, though. Artie's pathetic earnestness, followed by the way Tony's face contorts into this mix of rage, pity, and "I don't even know where to start with this one" laughter is just right.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

2) Rosalie's actor really loving nailed the grieving mother act. The part where she screams before they start lowering the casket is almost hard to watch.

Her breaking down in the background when Carm gets the call is so hard to watch because it reminded me of my grandmother after my mom passed away... :(

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

The scene where he confesses it to Tony is great, though. Artie's pathetic earnestness, followed by the way Tony's face contorts into this mix of rage, pity, and "I don't even know where to start with this one" laughter is just right.

"Qu'est que sais...where's the money?"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
Message machine broken?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vichan posted:

Her breaking down in the background when Carm gets the call is so hard to watch because it reminded me of my grandmother after my mom passed away... :(

Yeah that and the casket scene are pretty brutal. It's a very convincing portrayal of someone who just lost two people very close to her before their time in quick succession, including her own son.

And ralphie's such a little poo poo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Artie is one of those characters that really became a favorite when I rewatched the show as an adult, versus watching it when I was like 15 or 16 years old. He's so pathetic but always relatable and he's probably the only character you can really root for 100% without reservations(aside from maybe Adriana).

Being an adult helps because I've now been beaten down by the world and had my hopes and dreams crushed just like Artie so his various misadventures always feel very genuine to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

First time I watched the show I remember buying into the idea that Charmaine was a shrill, domineering wife. On every rewatch it's extremely, extremely clear that she has the patience of a saint AND she's also the only thing keeping him (not always successfully) from constantly blowing his life up with idiotic schemes, and more often than not she's completely in the right to be pissed off at him or tell him not to do something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Message machine broken?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I go back and forth and Artie. It's been long enough since I've watched the show that I don't quite remember what his full arc is, but midlife crisis season 3 Artie is kind of unbearable lol. He's at his best when he's just a beleaguered restaurant owner, but when he's trying to act cool and get into "business" with Tony, hitting on Adriana, wearing that stupid earring, and just generally punching above his weight he's a bit embarrassing (no discredit to the writing here--all this makes perfect sense for the who the character is, it just makes me like him less).

Charmane is very much his better half and he just needs to learn to shut up and listen to her.

I also enjoy how we get regular check-ins on the state of Artie's well-being via comments from Carmela & friends about the quality of the food that day

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 16, 2020

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Charmaine is the show's secret MVP

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

And ralphie's such a little poo poo

"Ro with the grief, it's incessant."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pattonesque posted:

Charmaine is the show's secret MVP

She loves it when you rub her muzzle

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

First time I watched the show I remember buying into the idea that Charmaine was a shrill, domineering wife. On every rewatch it's extremely, extremely clear that she has the patience of a saint AND she's also the only thing keeping him (not always successfully) from constantly blowing his life up with idiotic schemes, and more often than not she's completely in the right to be pissed off at him or tell him not to do something.

Product brandings starting with the letter V make people think of vagina. It's a turn off.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not sure you can root for Artie, he’s pathetic but also insanely creepy.

At least for the lovely parts of his life with women involved.

When it’s him and Tony, that’s fair

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not sure you can root for Artie, he’s pathetic but also insanely creepy.

At least for the lovely parts of his life with women involved.

When it’s him and Tony, that’s fair

And in addition to that, a lot of his problems seem like they're caused by him going out of his way to step on rakes and sabotage his life. If he just kept his head down and made gravy he'd probably be fine, because it sounds like he is a pretty talented chef when he isn't distracting himself by sticking his head up his rear end, but he's just mob-adjacent enough that he tries to be something he can't.

Although again, I can't remember how his full character arc goes so maybe he gets better again after season 3, I'll find out

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yea I mean Artie is a gently caress-up and makes terrible decisions. His problems are mostly of his own making. But for me that only makes it easier to root for him, because I relate to well meaning people who just can't seem to get out of their own way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s where I’ll disagree, he’s not well meaning. He’s insanely selfish and when hurt pretty cruel

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s where I’ll disagree, he’s not well meaning. He’s insanely selfish and when hurt pretty cruel

I think his main drive in the show is to be happy, which of course is a constant struggle for him. And while he does sometimes act selfishly in pursuing that happiness, his intention is never to hurt anyone.

Edit: of course now I'm remembering that time he offered to help the hostess with the green card and then rescinded the offer after he figured out she wasn't gonna sleep with him. His batting average was better than most though!

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 16, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean that’s how you describe most selfish people.

Really the only real difference between Tony and Artie is Tiny has the power to force his selfishness through, while Artie doesn’t

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
People like Tony and others like him in the show commit selfish acts because they decided a long time ago that they're willing to walk over people to get what they want. It's what their entire lifestyle is built on.

Artie is different because his selfish acts are not made with that kind of self-awareness, which is why I'd say he mostly has good intentions. He gets emotional, freaks out, and that's what sometimes leads him down the path to selfish behavior(which he inevitably regrets). I see them as different types of people at their core.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He takes a long time deciding that he wants to get laid by younger women it’s not a spur of the moment decision.

Hell you can argue he only stopped because he sucked at it, not that he had some moral epiphany

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea I mean Artie is a gently caress-up and makes terrible decisions. His problems are mostly of his own making. But for me that only makes it easier to root for him, because I relate to well meaning people who just can't seem to get out of their own way.

He's mainly a victim though. Most of his "problems" are NOT of his own making and come off to me as sort of self defense. He didn't ask for these friends he has and it's not his fault they control so much of the economy and social interaction where he happens to have grown up and currently lives.

In the first season, his "best friend" colludes to blow up his loving restaurant and lies right to his loving face about it. I mean, yeah, a TON of poo poo he did is really awkward and cringe worthy (hitting on Ade, collecting on his loan, loving with Benny, over selling, suicide, etc.) but he always came off to me as more a victim of circumstance than anything resembling a total rear end in a top hat. He was jealous of others (who made fun of him and didn't pay their tabs), didn't have the stones or the moxy for the mob life and got routinely hosed by every member of the mafia that he had no choice but to cater to.

The times things backfired in his face were born of desperation, jealousy, feelings of inadequacy and getting himself in over his head when he tried to dig out a little. Had he been left to his own devices to run a nice restaurant outside of the influence of all the big shots (one of whom hosed his wife and also bombed his loving business) constantly using him, stiffing him, stealing from him and making him the butt of their jokes, he might have been fine.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Artie's worst decision in the series is deciding to cook rabbit for two people who walked in after last call. Good luck there, bro, you're going to be braising that poo poo for hours.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Vichan posted:

So the Sopranos was completely on the money when they lampooned Italian Americans' persecution complex.

The Italian-American Civil Rights League successfully prevented The Godfather from using offensive, stereotypical terms like "Mafia" and "Cosa Nosta". The League was founded Joe Colombo, head of the Colombo crime family.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish i could somehow tell youtube to specifically not show me videos from people who miss the point of this show. I looked up some scenes and now my front page is filled with poo poo like "Tony's awesome pimp slap" and "chris lays the smack down on JT"

I know I could just say "not interested" but I am interested in sopranos clips, just not from certain people. But boy there are a lot of those people huh

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wish i could somehow tell youtube to specifically not show me videos from people who miss the point of this show. I looked up some scenes and now my front page is filled with poo poo like "Tony's awesome pimp slap" and "chris lays the smack down on JT"

I know I could just say "not interested" but I am interested in sopranos clips, just not from certain people. But boy there are a lot of those people huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7YzBE5zAo

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
lol in the episode where Tony and his crooked white collar thief pals are stealing from poor people (who may have been squatting but whatever). Tony explaining the hard knocks of capitalism to the submoron he calls a son, being a racist scumbag, that's destroying "liberals"?

Don't get me wrong, the scene is funny but when you see the whole context...

Funny also how that deal inadvertently kicks off the association/problem with him and the councilman, ending in Tony beating him bloody in front of their mutual acquaintance and her calling Carmela to set fire to Tony's marriage.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

As the cartoon on the very top of this says, "Ey hoh! Gabagool! Ha ha ha!"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A lot of people seem to watch this show and go "yeah whatever DID happen to the strong silent type?"

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ainsley McTree posted:

A lot of people seem to watch this show and go "yeah whatever DID happen to the strong silent type?"

"He died eating onion rings in a burger joint."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
15 years on I can see the smug right crowd in the current political climate taking Sopranos out of context to dunk on the "liberals" because 100% of their base don't understand context or good faith.

Hell even when it aired a ton of popular perception was all "man Tony is such a cool guy who doesn't put up with disrespect". That's always the problem with anti-hero "strong" men like Tony, Walter White, Vic Mackey etc.

People fawn over someone able to use their power and control over their personal enemies to inflict harm/pain of some kind for the sole reason is they wish they could do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

pentyne posted:

15 years on I can see the smug right crowd in the current political climate taking Sopranos out of context to dunk on the "liberals" because 100% of their base don't understand context or good faith.

Hell even when it aired a ton of popular perception was all "man Tony is such a cool guy who doesn't put up with disrespect". That's always the problem with anti-hero "strong" men like Tony, Walter White, Vic Mackey etc.

People fawn over someone able to use their power and control over their personal enemies to inflict harm/pain of some kind for the sole reason is they wish they could do the same.

The Shield was the best ending ever and people still missed the point. People in the watch thread were actually like "hmm I wonder if Vic goes out at night being batman" it was p funny.