Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've been out of the mix due to bad air quality lately, but it cleared earlier this week and I've been able to go out on the deck a couple times. Really enjoyed a Perdomo Champagne purito yesterday. I've been practicing the retrohale, where you breath some of the smoke through your nasal passages to get more aroma/flavor out of it. I can only do a little bit, but it's crazy how many more flavors appear that way. There was this candy note that I couldn't quite place on the purito yesterday.

Also, my buddy in L.A. sent me a few bucks to get myself some birthday cigars (my birthday's in early October) and I picked up a couple Padron 1964 Principes at Total Wine today. I'm driving to L.A. to buy a car and I'm gonna stop by their place to smoke some with them. Really looking forward to it, I've heard it's an excellent cigar.

Ophidian posted:

E: didn’t warrant another post but I was able to finally find a propane patio heater in stock today so between that and the fire pit I haven’t built yet, it’s looking like a smoky fall for the Ophidian household.

Hell yeah, rock that heater life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked a Montecristo No. 2, it was good but mild. I also smoked a Headley Grange, it was like a less flavorful/enjoyable VSG, Sumatra still isn’t my favorite.

For Crowned Heads I loved Four Kicks and Jericho Hill. J.D. Howard was good. Headley Grange, La Imperiosa, and Juarez were fine but didn’t wow me. I still have to try the Four Kicks maduro and some of their other stuff. Is Las Calaveras worth trying to track down?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've been saving my Tatuaje Halloween Capa Especial I got from an event a few months ago and boy howdy is this thing great. My humidor showed 67% and I knew I should pull something special for getting there.

Anise, cocoa, and red pepper are there big flavors. There's some great vegetal flavors in the background like celery or coriander. It's probably high time to bend back around towards another box or three of Tatuaje smokes...

Inbound this weekend from CA are a box of Oliva Serie V No. 4s (coronas) and a box of La Aurora Preferidos Platinum in corona as well. The Sapphires are real humdingers, and I haven't had an Oliva in a minute, so it'll be nice to get those.

I'll be on my first vacation in years at 5 on the dot today, so I might pull out a few more smokes I've been saving to celebrate a full week off.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Sounds like y’all are enjoying some good smokes. I smoked one each of the Cubans I got and now I’m back to my “haven’t tried them” box to keep tasting stuff.

I smoked a Man O’ War Armada and it was really good until the last inch where it sort of went old shoe. It’s not worth the retail but for $3-4 definitely a fun little smoke. A lot of different sweetness came in and out during the smoke so that was sort of fun and interesting. Sometimes it was cinnamon sugar and sometimes it was cream and sugar coffee in between the earthy flavors.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I found my heated blanket so I have a backup plan if my heater doesn’t show up this week. My goal is to finally smoke that Cohiba lancero maybe during UFC tomorrow.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I have to order one still. I wonder if they make heated snuggies or something like that. It’s still pretty nice right now but man if the fall didn’t start with the flip of a switch. I feel like it went from 80s/90s to 60s/70s in a day.

I took next week off from work just to burn some days so I’m sure I’ll be getting extra weird cigar wise.

What’s the best way to ship cigars? And how many fit in the flat rate boxes?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ziploc and a Boveda is a pretty reliable way to go for domestic shipping. Not sure how many you can fit in the small flat rate box, though. Probably a box or more.

Also high five vacation buddy! I'm so excited to chill out. I think tomorrow I'm gonna swing by the B&M to try out those MF Fonsecas.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Lyon posted:

Depends on the size of the flat rate box and the size of the cigars. The smallest size will fit 5-6 with lots of padding. Movement is the enemy for shipping cigars, pack that box full of packing material.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Got my CA order in today, celebrated with my buddies and had one of those Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu No. 5. Great little smoke! Lots of black pepper to start, not so much in the "peppery" feel but in that tangy deep flavor from fresh cracked peppercorns. Transitioned to a semi-sweet, occasionally nutty smoke with a deep perfumey backbone. Really quite delightful. Followed up with a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 petite corona 2nd. I think that's my favorite vitola of that cigar so far. Hits all the notes, easy to smoke, and nice to hold with the box press.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Had a Herrera Esteli Inktome last night by the fire pit while watching my Redlegs beat up in the White Sox on the laptop. The weather here was absolutely perfect.

The venn diagram of awesome was in in full overlap!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Lyon posted:

Small flat rate:5-10 depending on vitola, medium: up to 40, large: a lot.

If you are going to be shipping cigars frequently I would suggest buying cigar bags like these:

https://www.aplasticbag.com/product.asp?groupcode=bag11

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
As a short term ghetto solution would Saran Wrap work without damaging the wrappers?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
You can use ziplocks also just make sure the sticks can’t move around within the bag and you should be solid.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Pro-Tip™ : If you bought a bunch of Latakia blends only to later find out you don't much like Latakia you can always blend in a bunch of Carter Hall to mellow it out.

Also: Buy a corncob.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Stopped by the B&M today, Fonsecas still aren't in, so I got myself a little consolation prize for my vacation:

So delicious. I had forgotten how extreme some lanceros can be (and also Tatuaje brands are generally stronger than what I've been having lately).

It's got that same grainy feel on the wrapper as Padron Maduro Thousands have.

The latest CA wins are in - there was a hole in the cellophane on the box of the La Aurora Platinum Coronas, so they may need to sit for a while.

I think those Oliva Serie V coronas are ready to go right off the truck. Really gorgeous, smell fantastic, and I'm really thinking about splurging on a box of the lanceros next month.

We also snagged the tarp and some clamps on the way home today, so tomorrow will be the test build of the porch enclosure!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

Stopped by the B&M today, Fonsecas still aren't in, so I got myself a little consolation prize for my vacation:

So delicious. I had forgotten how extreme some lanceros can be (and also Tatuaje brands are generally stronger than what I've been having lately).

It's got that same grainy feel on the wrapper as Padron Maduro Thousands have.

The latest CA wins are in - there was a hole in the cellophane on the box of the La Aurora Platinum Coronas, so they may need to sit for a while.

I think those Oliva Serie V coronas are ready to go right off the truck. Really gorgeous, smell fantastic, and I'm really thinking about splurging on a box of the lanceros next month.

We also snagged the tarp and some clamps on the way home today, so tomorrow will be the test build of the porch enclosure!

My humidor hates you. My wallet hates you. My wife hates you. I love you.

Gonna have to stay off CA for a minute, but the air is finally clear enough to go back outside for a smoke and make room for new acquisitions. Happy smoking all!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Maksimus54 posted:

My humidor hates you. My wallet hates you. My wife hates you. I love you.

I love you right back and extend only the chillest vibes to your wife, wallet, and humidor.

We've enclosed the balcony! We've hiked it up to let a breeze through, and the greenhouse effect is so much more powerful than I thought it would be, but I think we've secured a happy winter smoking situation:

L'Atelier Maduro lancero for today's special vacation smoke:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a La Barba Red yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. Mostly Milk chocolate and mocha latte type flavors with some interesting spice notes thrown in.

Currently smoking a Crowned Heads Luminosa and this is a delightful smoke. Lot of tobacco flavor, cream, subtle spice and sweetness. One of the more interesting Connecticut cigars I’ve smoked in a while. I would definitely smoke this again.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Holy moly this La Aurora Platinum corona is great. Scratching an itch for spice I've been having lately. It's got that well refined strength that the much smoother Sapphires have, but the spice really pumps it up another notch. There's like a bed of red fruit in the background, too. Super complex.

The wrapper is much thicker and grainier than the Connecticut broadleaf Sapphires. Same immaculate construction, however.

This actually reminds me in many ways of the Hors D'Age blends - if you can pick up this corona, it runs under $10 at a B&M, it might be a great sample for the spice and complexity.

I'm so glad I'm on a kick of these Preferidos, especially to share the experience with y'all. These aren't new blends and don't get a ton of hype, but they're so good. I hope a sampler exists so y'all can give them a try in this less expensive format.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 20, 2020

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Smoking a R&J cedros that my in-laws picked a box of during a trip to Cuba last year. The box was dried out by the time I got my hands on a couple but it’s smoking pretty good. Fairly good smoke.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Shared a pair of Padron 1964 Principes with my LA friend this weekend. What a pretty cigar. Flawless construction, lots of woody and nutty flavors, very savory. Occasional flashes of something like lemon zest or toffee. I'm gonna have to get some more of these.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Been working my way through a couple different Oliva's lately and was reminded how much I enjoy their product. The Series G torpedo was like meeting with an old friend, the 3yr Master Blend was nice and peppery with assorted spices, smooth all the way through and finished I want to say in earth and leather. I'm bad at tasting notes but thats how I remember it.

Looking forward to trying out a couple packs of these La Aurora preferido's NFM's been going on about, should see them later this week just in time for the rains to start.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m smoking the LFD Double Ligero Lancero and this is the first cigar in forever that has given me any sort of nicotine buzz. Holy hell this thing is a beast.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
If the weather holds I’m probably going to smoke a RASS or perhaps the Conn. Leaf

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just got an order in with 7 different AJ Fernandez smokes (Bella Artes, New World, San Lozano, Divina something), some LFD La Nox, a couple Curivari Cafe Noir, an Encore Majestic, a couple La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Reservas, an Illusione Haut 10, and a Ashton ESG 23-year salute for a special occasion. I don't even know where to start once this dumb tropical storm blows over.

The only AJF production I've tried before was the Ave Maria Reconquista which was really tasty, so I'm excited about this sampler.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Dramatika posted:

I just got an order in with 7 different AJ Fernandez smokes (Bella Artes, New World, San Lozano, Divina something), some LFD La Nox, a couple Curivari Cafe Noir, an Encore Majestic, a couple La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Reservas, an Illusione Haut 10, and a Ashton ESG 23-year salute for a special occasion. I don't even know where to start once this dumb tropical storm blows over.

The only AJF production I've tried before was the Ave Maria Reconquista which was really tasty, so I'm excited about this sampler.

That's quite a haul! I really enjoyed the AJF New World Puro Especial I smoked, it was spicy and delicious.

Once again NFM has forced me to buy a new box of smokes. I won some La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire coronas on CA today, so now I'm going to try and round out an order before it consolidates next week. I'm thinking of the Oliva Serie V Lanceros, and I'm also gonna try and win some My Father stuff. Has anyone tried La Promesa? I've been thinking of picking up a box of them to try.

Another thing that's definitely on my radar is picking up a box of Padron 2000s or maybe 3000s. I got a single from Total Wine the other day and it was incredibly nutty and woody and flawlessly constructed. We used to smoke Padrons more often, but because they're never really up on the discount sites we haven't had any since we started buying online. I might try getting a box of Padrons from Atlantic Cigars at some point, since I remember one of you having a good experience with them.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Smoking the Leaf Connecticut toro. It’s my favorite non Cuban I’ve smoked since I started back up. Need to try the lancero and robusto.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah I loved that Leaf Connecticut, try Luminosa by Crowned Heads if you haven’t had it and can find it easily, another awesome Connecticut that I had recently. Just something unique and flavorful about both of those.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

All the RASS talk and nice weather here I dug one out of the humidor the other day, as always a great smoke. Now RASS is my wife's favorite cigar.

If weather and plans for this weekend hold I'm digging out the sticks I bought from Ophidian years ago and smoking one of those.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Ok I’m curious, what did you snag from me :)

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy
I know I got a Bolivar (no clue which) an H.Upmann Mag 46 and Mag 48, and a pair of RA LEs from you years ago.

One of those RA wound up going into a butt pass.

I can remember all that but have trouble remembering how old I am. Brains are dumb.

Also I really need to make time for a smoke soon, especially since it's finally not hotter and stickier than Satan's taint outside.

Hayden fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 23, 2020

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ophidian posted:

Ok I’m curious, what did you snag from me :)

It's been a while, I'll get a picture of what I have left next time I'm in the cooler. Can't find the list you sent me

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Wishing I had bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on some cubans a couple months ago - sounds like it may be a good bit harder to get them after Trump decided to wave his dick at Cuba today. :smith:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
cigars bad pipes good

WHERE ALL THE PIPE SMOKERS AT

(e: ✌💗)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

We, of the aloha shirts and straw boaters welcome you, of the tweed vests and rocking chairs, to join us in the pleasures of the leaf.

Speaking of, smoked a Leaf Maduro lancero today. It did a lot of things the corojo does, just with more marshmallow, charred oak, and espresso in place of the book leather, oak duff, and toffee of the corojo. I think on balance I prefer the corojo, but if you prefer the darker maduro flavors it's an excellent smoke, with a lot of changing flavors over the course of the smoke, and excellent construction. Now I need to get my hands on some of the Connecticuts.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Dramatika posted:

Wishing I had bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on some cubans a couple months ago - sounds like it may be a good bit harder to get them after Trump decided to wave his dick at Cuba today. :smith:

The embargo does not affect us getting cigars unless he decides to block all of their ports from exporting to other countries. We don’t get our Cubans from Cuba, we get them from HK, The Canary Islands, Switzerland and other countries, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

In Xikar Warranty news: they were not able to fix my 8 year old table top lighter so they gave me my choice of new model. I chose the tactical 3 as I’m a sucker for three jet in line lighters.

The total turn around from me sending in the RMA to them shipping a new lighter was about a week when they originally quoted me 3-4 weeks.

A+ will RMA Xikar lighters again.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Good to know the lifetime warranty thing actually holds up with Xicar products.

So if anyone's interested my buddies and I have a few My Father Centurion H-2K-CT toros we'd be willing to trade away. They just didn't do anything for us, and I know there are some folks in here who really like that blend. I think we've got something like 10 or 12 all together, so if you're interested in arranging a swap hit me up over PM and we can work something out.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Received my regalias in from iHavana's today. Order placed on the 9th

July 19 datecode. I am excite.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a Las Calaveras 2020, RoMa Craft Intemperance BA XXI (I think), and a Hoyo La Amistad Gold. My B&M has Las Calaveras back to 2017 or so but I grabbed the new release, it was good but didn’t wow me. The Intemperance was a little harsh but good with lots of chocolate/coffee/espresso and the Hoyo I honestly don’t remember that well but I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

AnimalChin posted:

cigars bad pipes good

WHERE ALL THE PIPE SMOKERS AT

(e: ✌💗)

heyyoooo