Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dik Hz posted:

Russula sp. There's a ton of species that are difficult to tell apart.

Oh word! In Denmark we call the Russ. family "brittle caps".

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

God drat I'd love to come upon a fairy circle in real life in the woods that is so cool

I've seen my share, but then I'm also posting from within Faerie prison :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tias posted:

Oh word! In Denmark we call the Russ. family "brittle caps".

Yup ‘Brittlegills’ is a frequent English term for them collectively. They nearly universally live up to it, the club teachers here like to pitch one at a tree to underline the point.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

"Oh hey, what's all that under the tree over there? Maybe I'll have something to add to that mushroom thread I've been lurking?"

"Wait, what? It's all..."

"...bread. Just bread."

I guess something'll be growing there eventually!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I made a plant thread that is intended as the wild plant equivalent of this thread for ID/eating/chat purposes. I know lots of folks browse by bookmarks so I'm sharing here since there is probably some crossover interest (and you should post those cool flowers you saw on your mushroom walk!):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938360

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I made a plant thread that is intended as the wild plant equivalent of this thread for ID/eating/chat purposes. I know lots of folks browse by bookmarks so I'm sharing here since there is probably some crossover interest (and you should post those cool flowers you saw on your mushroom walk!):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938360

Sweet, edited that into the OP

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Quiet Feet posted:

"Oh hey, what's all that under the tree over there? Maybe I'll have something to add to that mushroom thread I've been lurking?"

"Wait, what? It's all..."

"...bread. Just bread."

I guess something'll be growing there eventually!

Well, I think you can file them under "edibles" at least.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thanks to my 3d printer I was finally able to mount a scanner lens I got years ago to my camera, so I can finally take photos of quality mushrooms like this one!

For some reason it made me think of SA.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Scarodactyl posted:

Thanks to my 3d printer I was finally able to mount a scanner lens I got years ago to my camera, so I can finally take photos of quality mushrooms like this one!

For some reason it made me think of SA.

No ring?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

So it would seem.

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on with this guy? Found near similarly-colored and textured boletes, and it does appear to have pores, but the morphology looks more like a bracket fungus, but it's free standing.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Big white mushrooms popped up after a rain. I didn't get a picture after they opened up all the way but they were big and white and flat had those rings around their stems and their gills were white as well. I'm assuming they were amanitas.

Tias
May 25, 2008

No telling from that picture. It might be champignon or even a dapperling, but don't eat unless you know how to tell.

I'm going to pluck later, my bad humidity island finally got some rain.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

their gills were white, not brown, like I said. I'm fairly certain they were super poisonous. I'm not really into eating mushrooms I find, I don't have the confidence for that, I just think they're neat.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Scarodactyl posted:

So it would seem.

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on with this guy? Found near similarly-colored and textured boletes, and it does appear to have pores, but the morphology looks more like a bracket fungus, but it's free standing.

Something about this makes me uncomfortable.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 8, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Skratte posted:

their gills were white, not brown, like I said. I'm fairly certain they were super poisonous. I'm not really into eating mushrooms I find, I don't have the confidence for that, I just think they're neat.

All white with a veil is 100% destroying angel territory and not something you want to gently caress with unless dying from your liver turning to mush in a week sounds like a good time.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Skratte posted:

Big white mushrooms popped up after a rain. I didn't get a picture after they opened up all the way but they were big and white and flat had those rings around their stems and their gills were white as well. I'm assuming they were amanitas.
If you're in the US, I'd wager they're green-gilled lepiota. aka, the mushroom that poisons more people than any other. They're poisonous but unlikely to kill you. The spore print is distinctive.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I wanna give a little shout out to the mushroom ID aps out there. Though they're faaaar from perfect they are amazing at getting a total newbie going in the right direction. Also I got a kick out of the app IDing this cute little white mushroom as a eastern north american destroying angel. The most metal of mushrooms.

On a side note, I'm tossing around the idea of growing a barrel of mushrooms myself after watching various youtubes. Anyone have any experience / recommendations in that arena? Preferably I'd like to start now because I'm super impatient.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Stock up on sanitation products and don't expect to be successful on your first go

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GodspeedSphere posted:

On a side note, I'm tossing around the idea of growing a barrel of mushrooms myself after watching various youtubes. Anyone have any experience / recommendations in that arena? Preferably I'd like to start now because I'm super impatient.

I’m really just the assistant, my gf has more experience but we’ve been doing well with easy oysters this year. She suggests this series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHJQrsZFQdE

And make sure you sterilize, an instant pot makes it easy. You can buy syringes full of spores from Amazon. Go for blue oysters first, they grow fast and eat contaminants.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

While we're on the subject of cultivating, I just bought a house with a couple of cold rooms that I think could be easily outfitted as growing and fruiting chambers. If I ever get around to it I'll do a big post on it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Piedmont region, North Carolina.

These are ringless honeys, right? Armillaria tabescens?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

They def have the look. Are they growing out of a stump or anything?

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

These are ringless honeys, right? Armillaria tabescens?

Yeah. These will be popping up all over your region this time of year.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

There are several good NC mushroom groups on Facebook and they are totally overrun with pictures of ringless honey mushrooms at the moment, as well as memes about how overrun with pictures of ringless honey mushrooms they are.

Edit: I’ve never tried eating them but they’re one of those weird “they wreck some stomachs and are totally fine for other stomachs” so most groups seem to be recommending to try only a little at first if you’re gonna

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 15, 2020

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Speaking of NC, I found a huge cluster of pink-tipped coral mushrooms on a hike outside Brevard last weekend:

I wasn't prepped to carry them, so I left them in place.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

the yeti posted:

They def have the look. Are they growing out of a stump or anything?
Yeah, growing out of the buried remains of a decaying root.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Found these fishing yesterday; I know nothing of shrooms but thought they were wacky. They were all on the same tree, and seemed to be leaking sap.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

What the heck are these mushrooms! Been googling best I can think of but ain't pulling up this particular mushrooms. It's got that ooze like a bleeding tooth or bleeding oak, but these were just on someone's lawn i saw on my miniwalk. They had a thick stem, the bleeding oak ive seen pics of is a more, foamy/spongy looking deal, these guys have thick stems like classic shrooms. I actually went back an hour later to take these pictures, originally they had more juice with more vibrant colour. I poked some of the ooze with a little stick and it didn't seem very sticky, not quite watery, it dripped a little onto the soil when I disturbed some drops.

I know i probably cant eat em but I'd like to know what they are called or how I can grow them in my lawn instead of people's lawn a street away who don't deserve them

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Khanstant posted:

What the heck are these mushrooms! Been googling best I can think of but ain't pulling up this particular mushrooms. It's got that ooze like a bleeding tooth or bleeding oak, but these were just on someone's lawn i saw on my miniwalk. They had a thick stem, the bleeding oak ive seen pics of is a more, foamy/spongy looking deal, these guys have thick stems like classic shrooms. I actually went back an hour later to take these pictures, originally they had more juice with more vibrant colour. I poked some of the ooze with a little stick and it didn't seem very sticky, not quite watery, it dripped a little onto the soil when I disturbed some drops.

I know i probably cant eat em but I'd like to know what they are called or how I can grow them in my lawn instead of people's lawn a street away who don't deserve them

Could be Inonotus dryadeus?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They look maybe related but that type seems much yellower and more blobby/spongy. These guys have that really thick choady base to it, and it seems like they kind of toppled under their own weight. They were growing on this big slope to someones front lawn, it's a hilly sloped street with shade, but I wasn't paying attention to what kind, could well be oak. Suppose I should get better at identifying trees too. These things didn't smell to me, but I also wasn't breaking em apart or trying to huff spores. Didn't cut em open, is that even allowed, do homeowners own mushrooms on their lawn, do renters, who is entitled to the fruiting body?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i love the idea of mushrooms in the abstract, but there's a deep visceral glee that comes with watching the boomers in my facebook mushroom ID groups repeatedly making themselves ill year after year improperly cooking honey mushrooms & eating them with their most expensive, reddest wines.

foraging is a sucker's game for dipshits.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I don't drink and am not an idiot who'd eat something he can't positively ID. This means that, for me, foraging is the bountiful treasure chambers of the goblin king :getin:

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 19, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Counterpoint: maitake is loving delicious.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Not foraging to own the boomers

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I still remember the year I found so many chanterelles that I was able to do silly things with them like infuse them into whisky and add them to boxed mac n cheese because they were just everywhere.

But I guess I'd really have owned the boomers if I didn't get to enjoy an absurd excess of fresh chanterelles.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Here's an album of stuff I"ve found lately; rather than timg the whole pile y'all feel free to post particular ones if you want to ask or whatever

https://imgur.com/a/G0KV33z

Couple of highlights, though:

:catstare: Boletus sp, probably separans or subcaerulescens

False caesar's, Amanita parcivolvata

:black101: Destroying angel :black101: (maybe)

Red raspberry slime, Tubifera ferruginosa

No idea but cool:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Some tiny little orange ones spotted by a nature trail:

And this really weird, uncomfortable-looking one on a dead pine:

Bonus slime mold(?) from the same pine

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those first ones look a lot like cinnabar chanterelles!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That would definitely be cool--I wasn't sure hoe to differentiste between those and goblet waxcaps since the mushroom app hit both.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

This grew in the median between the sidewalk and my car in the space of maybe an hour and a half. It's probably stinkhorn, though I couldn't smell anything when I sniffed at it. Pretty little thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Definitely what it looks like--no doubt it's smelling now.

I went back to the same trail. Definitely leaning towards at least some of them being chanterelles. Even if I were confident enough in the ID this is too popular a trail with dogwalkers to eat any even if they were bigger.

Also found this tiny purple-and-white one:

This pagoda:

Blue-pored frisbee (I assume a bolete?)

Strawberries and cream:

And there was a cluster of these bright yellow ones which ended up being a lot less exciting up close: