Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Even less confident in this than I was in my predictions last year which means I'm going to win twice as hard. Have zero confidence in my Zack and Tana picks but the idea of ZSJ throwing hissyfits over losing to YH and Yano and then becoming so smug over costing Tanahashi the block was far too amusing to pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

take the moon posted:

i think youll find yujiro is a better wrestler than like half of the goons posting itt

im way better than yujiro OP, because like all good wrestlers, I steal moves from joshi

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Rarity posted:

Your Personal Muse, you gave me Ibushi winning A block but the math works out for Suzuki. Shall I take him as your A block pick or fix the math?

drat rip me, when Suzuki finds out he’ll murder me. I think I still need Suzuki to beat someone (I think either Taichi or Switchblade, I forget which) to make it work out like I want to.

Basically, I wanted Switchblade to have a tiebreaker over both Okada and Ibushi only to be murdered by Ishii and knocked out of the runnning, Ibushi to win his last match to tie with Okada with a tiebreaker, leaving Okada to fight Will, Will wins, knocking Okada out and sending Ibushi to the finals.

I also wanted SANADA, EVIL, and Naito to be tied coming in to the last match, and for SANADA to have beaten Naito during the tournament and also beat EVIL to win it all but for EVIL to beat Naito so SANADA can both claim he beat Naito and beat the guy who beat Naito for delicious tension.

I have no clue if my picks actually result in that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Your Personal Muse posted:

Basically, I wanted Switchblade to have a tiebreaker over both Okada and Ibushi only to be murdered by Ishii and knocked out of the runnning, Ibushi to win his last match to tie with Okada with a tiebreaker, leaving Okada to fight Will, Will wins, knocking Okada out and sending Ibushi to the finals.

Ok I changed it so Suzuki loses to Cobb and Taichi, Ibushi beats Ospreay and Cobb beats Switchblade and now it works like you wanted. Okada/Ibushi on 12 and a bunch of people on 10 :)

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Rarity posted:

Ok I changed it so Suzuki loses to Cobb and Taichi, Ibushi beats Ospreay and Cobb beats Switchblade and now it works like you wanted. Okada/Ibushi on 12 and a bunch of people on 10 :)

That’s fine, for the record

Suzuki, I don’t think you are losing to Cobb, so please take this into consideration and make my death painless

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Rarity, sorry my math was dumb. As I said I didn't track it. Please change match results to make the finals Switchblade over Tana.

I have PMs though, weird you couldn't message me but I don't mind being called out.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is it actually necessary to change the match prediction results so the finals fit with the math? I know it would mean it's not possible to have the theoretical maximum points but if points are assigned as independent events, does it actually matter that my predictions are incoherent with each other? Or does it really screw up your points tracking to leave it as is?

If it doesn't screw up the way you tally points, you can leave my dumb incoherent guesses. If it does, please remind me who I put over switchblade and tana and I'll tell you which results to switch.

I'm sorry that I've made more work for you! As I was filling it in I didn't really think about making sure it added up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

drat, Rarity not only doing her own G1 Math but other people's as well? That's dedication :hai:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 18, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I too would like to thank Rarity for checking my idiot math. I had two completely wrong people in the finals and she caught it for me.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just realized I genuinely don’t have time to do G1 math until the deadline. Better that way honestly, I would have just spoiled the entire tournament for everyone. Please thank me

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is it actually necessary to change the match prediction results so the finals fit with the math?

Yeah, especially considering I'm offering an actual cash prize. I'd think it was a bit bullshit if someone won it when their entry wasn't even possible. The easiest way to fix A block is to have Ibushi take a loss (could be to anyone except Ospreay or Switchblade) and for B block I can just flip the result of Tanahashi/KENTA so Tana wins. Does that work for you?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Sorry Rarity i'll discord you when i wake up. i also have pms on here. i am ridiculously bad at math

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I probably went too clever but I have Taichi winning A block with 14 points, Okada falling short with 13 after Ospreay takes him to a draw. Naito wins B block but ties with Sanada. Sanada, Naito, EVIL, and KENTA all go into the last night tied. Naito has the win over Sanada but Evil has the win over him. Sanada beats evil and Naito beats Kenta. Naito then beats Taichi for the finals.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

So I have A Block being wide open with a bunch of people being in play on the final night. Everything clears itself in the undercard for Ibushi to take out Taichi and advance to the finals. I have B Block being less open with it parsing itself down to Tanahashi, Naito, KENTA, EVIL, and SANADA before slowly working its way down to SANADA needing to beat EVIL on the final night to advance. He does so. Ibushi goes back to back.

I'm thinking they want to keep EVIL strong but have a big SANADA moment at the end to kind of wash away the run. Plus a face/face finals is kinda feel good for this year and Ibushi/SANADA would be a banger.

Yujiro isn't winning a match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love seeing people predict draws, because it NEVER works but holy God what if it does? :aaa:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Love seeing people predict draws, because it NEVER works but holy God what if it does? :aaa:

Like all those silly people last year who thought Okada/SANADA would be a draw :laugh:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I rejected the way of the spreadsheet and just voted based on a variety of intangible metrics existing entirely in my own head. I've probably ended up selecting winners who are mathematically ineligible of winning. Chaos reigns, but only time will tell if CHAOS reigns.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Seams posted:

I've probably ended up selecting winners who are mathematically ineligible of winning

Yep, you've said KENTA's winning but based on math Naito makes the final over him in B block. I can fix it by either flipping the result of the Naito/KENTA match or giving Naito a loss to somebody else somewhere?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Rarity posted:

Yep, you've said KENTA's winning but based on math Naito makes the final over him in B block. I can fix it by either flipping the result of the Naito/KENTA match or giving Naito a loss to somebody else somewhere?

Thanks. I could've sworn I picked KENTA over Naito, so yeah change that result. If there are any other issues feel free to just disregard/delete my votes. I don't want you to have to spend time fixing my crap just because I'm lazy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Like all those silly people last year who thought Okada/SANADA would be a draw :laugh:
Gedo you coward it would have been perfect! :negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Seams posted:

Thanks. I could've sworn I picked KENTA over Naito, so yeah change that result. If there are any other issues feel free to just disregard/delete my votes. I don't want you to have to spend time fixing my crap just because I'm lazy.

All sorted :) Just to warn people if I've not had corrections by the start of the first show I'll be taking your mathematical picks and then tossing a coin to decide a new G1 winner if needed.

Also for those curious here are the predicted winners so far:

EVIL, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shingo Takagi, Taichi, Tomohiro Ishii - 1 time
Will Ospreay - 2 times
Tetsuya Naito - 3 times
KENTA - 4 times
Jay White - 5 times
Kazuchika Okada - 6 times
SANADA - 8 times
Kota Ibushi - 9 times

My SANADA pick might have seemed left field to some at first but everyone follows my lead cause they knows that I got them scoops :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm telling you guys, I've got a good feeling that 2019 is gonna be Ibushi's year to win G1.... it's 2019, right? :ohdear:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Rarity posted:

Yeah, especially considering I'm offering an actual cash prize. I'd think it was a bit bullshit if someone won it when their entry wasn't even possible. The easiest way to fix A block is to have Ibushi take a loss (could be to anyone except Ospreay or Switchblade) and for B block I can just flip the result of Tanahashi/KENTA so Tana wins. Does that work for you?

Perfect, yes that works.

Also I won't win but if I do I forfeit the prize because my entry wasn't really valid.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hellblazer187 posted:

Also I won't win but if I do I forfeit the prize

A few people have said this so if the winner prefers I'll instead donate $15 to the charity of their choice :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I forgot how much I hate trying to predict this stuff I DON'T FLIPPIN' KNOW

Probably have a ton of really dumb choices in there but whatever man. Whateverrrrrrrr. I don't want to think about this no mo'

In any case I think WK is going to be the LIJ show. It's 100% not happening but I'm going all the way with Shingo, baby. I love my dragon friend and wish him the best.

edit: wait I just noticed one thing that wouldn't make sense based on the block final cards. Like the points do make sense but EVIL vs SANADA wouldn't have much at stake. I'm a big dumb dumb. Well, like I said, whatever, I'm not changing my picks anymore (unless I screwed up the math despite using Thanlis's excellent automated sheet)

Edit edit: actually I’m so dumb that I forgot what my own idea was. I’m so tired friends. So tired

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 18, 2020

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

:siren: Important Math Note :siren:

Wait, did I not screw up my math despite doing it completely sight unseen.This is both a question and also rhetorical because I'm having trouble believing I actually managed to stumble to finals I think are going to happen.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

karmicknight posted:

Wait, did I not screw up my math despite doing it completely sight unseen.This is both a question and also rhetorical because I'm having trouble believing I actually managed to stumble to finals I think are going to happen.

Your chosen final was Ibushi and Tanahashi and they win their groups with 18 and 16 points so you're good :)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ALL THAT WORK JUST TO GET THE SAME drat THING EVERYONE ELSE IS

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Deathlove posted:

ALL THAT WORK JUST TO GET THE SAME drat THING EVERYONE ELSE IS

But SANADA didn't win??? :confused:

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

The thing I feel least confident about is predicting Cobb to have a really good tournament, but I don't know why you'd make him one of your four foreigners if you didn't have plans for him so gently caress it

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Making this official to pull my entry from the G1 contest. My daughter (5) had fun messing with my math and I don't remember my original block breakdowns.

With that said, here are the -luva1 family predictions:
Me
  • A Block - White
  • B Block - KENTA
  • Climax Winner - White
My Daughter
  • A Block - Ibushi
  • B Block - Tanahashi
  • Climax Winner - Ibushi

My overarching story is a Bullet Club civil war told without Rhodes and the Young Bucks. There is a lot of BC representation this year and I think it would be crazy if there weren't some tension or drama as time goes on. My heart wants KENTA to win it all, but White is the homegrown talent. I don't see Gedo siding with an NJPW outsider anytime soon.

My daughter based her bracket on picking (1) good guys, and (2) the most handsome men.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

animeluva1 posted:

My daughter based her bracket on picking (1) good guys, and (2) the most handsome men.

Such a prodigy to be 5 and already understand Gedo's booking

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ah drat, i didn't realize you understandably closed entries 24 hours before the first show. been a weird week and i never got around to the backwards spreadsheet work necessary

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

John Dudebro posted:

The thing I feel least confident about is predicting Cobb to have a really good tournament, but I don't know why you'd make him one of your four foreigners if you didn't have plans for him so gently caress it

this is the only final that doesn't feature EVIL in it that i could realistically see, because if it doesn't happen in the G1 final the very obvious WK match to me seems to be Ibushi vs Tanahashi which would to me indicate neither winning the tournament.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dishonest Resume, you gave me Okada as your A block winner but your math puts Ospreay on top. I can either take Ospreay as your A block winner or flip the result of the Okada/Ospreay match, which would you like? If I don't hear from you by the start of the show I'll do the former.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Rarity posted:

Dishonest Resume, you gave me Okada as your A block winner but your math puts Ospreay on top. I can either take Ospreay as your A block winner or flip the result of the Okada/Ospreay match, which would you like? If I don't hear from you by the start of the show I'll do the former.

This is why I don't enter because I'm too dumb to do the maths. I can sorta guess who the top guys will lose to but then I'd accidentally make yujiro win the block

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

animeluva1 posted:

Your daughter rules and made the right picks :hellyeah:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

just got mine in. my b block is a comparative mess and i know the midcard isn't gonna sort out quite that way in reality but i need to get some sleep before the g1. went with ibushi over tana in the finals

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I was caught up in work and so didn’t even know G1 was happening this weekend and madly tried to get my google form in before time and so didn’t think out all the maths; it’s probably wrong. I’d like to participate, but I get it if I was late. Thanks for putting it all together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The G1 is back, baby! Results for Night 1 follow below so beware of spoilers:

Will Ospreay (92%) vs. Yujiro Takahashi (8%)
Taichi (61%) vs. Jeff Cobb (39%)
Minoru Suzuki (45%) vs. Tomohiro Ishii (55%)
Jay White (78%) vs. Shingo Takagi (22%)
Kazuchika Okada (33%) vs. Kota Ibushi (65%)

So after the first night of action your rankings are:

1. 10 points: Aesculus, Artelier, Carlioo, chirico curvie, duckdealer, Karlos4live, karmicknight
2. 8 points: Dishonest Resume, Dr. Dirt, Eat My Fuc, extradite THIS!, Hellblazer187, HouseOfLeaves99, Jerusalem, marioinblack, Neodoomium, Netsky, Rarity, Seams, take the moon, Thauros, The Junkyard God, Your Personal Muse
3. 6 points: Captain Magic, Chinook, Deathlove, Do not even ask, Dr. Dirt's random picks, Erainor, Fadmonkey, Fentry, Gaz-L, GEORGE W BUSHI, HidaO-Win, I Before E, John Dudebro, Lid, SatoshiMiwa, Schneider Heim, SG Bamboo, TriffTshngo, Veryslightlymad, xbilkis
4. 4 points: Accident Underwater, Gumball Gumption, Power Windows, Rick, Thanlis
5. 2 points: JOHN CENA, LupusApter
6. -2 points: ItohRespectArmy

We're off and running, folks!