Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Stoatbringer posted:

Oh yeah. Watching the burning clown car of America helps distract us Europeans from the shitnado of our own situations.

lol

Oh really? I look more at America as a loving hellscape that the ultra-Rightwing in our part of the world are licking their chops over and taking their cues from. That's why it annoys me a little when Americans say lol why the gently caress do you care what happens in our country, as if America hasn't dictated Western policy for loving yonks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

what do yonks mean

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1307103669054304257?s=20

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

kazr posted:

what do yonks mean

A while. Ages. A long time.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

An insane mind posted:

Oh really? I look more at America as a loving hellscape that the ultra-Rightwing in our part of the world are licking their chops over and taking their cues from. That's why it annoys me a little when Americans say lol why the gently caress do you care what happens in our country, as if America hasn't dictated Western policy for loving yonks.

I also encounter that alot. Gunforums are about the main source that leak US insanity, you can find the US mainstream reverberating in the ultra right fringe here and in all sorts of uhhh "regular" gun owners. Over the last decades, right wing parties in europe were a vehicle for russian division campaigns, but these US codes don't really work here for anyone else.

When the US goes full fascist, you'll see alot of these crazies crawl out from under their rocks.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Job Opportunity: Supreme Court Justice required for immediate start.
Required qualifications:
Awareness of the concept of the law (actual legal qualifications/experience not necessary, you will learn on the job and via Twitter). Enthusiastic about the power of the Presidential pardon. Recognises that the President's time is precious and important and should not be spent dealing with frivolous "lawsuits" and "investigations", related to anything before, during or after time in office. Strong traditional opinions about the position of women and/or minorities in the home, workplace and public service.
Qanon a bonus.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

kazr posted:

what do yonks mean

"Donkey's years"

A long time

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

kazr posted:

dumb question to ask in hell world: can anyone be nominated to be a supreme court justice?

Pretty much. The Constitution doesn't set any limit whatsoever. You don't have to be a lawyer or even know what a "law" is, you can be severely cognitively impaired. As long as you have a pulse and can get confirmed by the Senate you are good to go.

Truly the perfect system!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Shanghaied posted:

Pretty much. The Constitution doesn't set any limit whatsoever. You don't have to be a lawyer or even know what a "law" is, you can be severely cognitively impaired. As long as you have a pulse and can get confirmed by the Senate you are good to go.

Surely nobody would even consider abusing that.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

An insane mind posted:

And the crazies over there are actively trying to export their dumb ideologies to us.

A couple of years ago, there was case that ended up in our supreme court - a midwife (ob/gyn nurse) sued for religious discrimination - she didn't get a job and she thinks it's because she told the interviewers she would refuse to perform abortions. Thing is, the employer didn't even perform abortions, and they claimed she didn't get the job because she said she would refuse to talk to patients about contraceptives and family planning, which is a huge part of any midwife's work. She lost the case eventually but it dragged out for years. And people started wondering how a nurse was able to afford a huge legal team for years at a time.

Turns out her whole case was financed by a US evangelical group who was actively recruiting plaintiffs like her in a number of European countries.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

kazr posted:

what do yonks mean

Yeah others have said, but it means 'for a long time'. My British friend used it a lot and I liked how it sounded.

E: ^^^^ Jesus, but then again American Evangelicals are a loving scourge. They've done the same poo poo in African and South American countries.

An insane mind fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 19, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Saw a new trump ad last night that actually mentioned being nominated for a nobel peace prize as a sign of how much of a peaceful dude he is, bringing unity to the middle east and all that. It was really quite embarrassing to even watch that one.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Stoatbringer posted:

Surely nobody would even consider abusing that.

You are forgetting the secret and little-known Article Zero of the Constitution:

"C'mon, we are all upstanding white men and friends ever here, let's just all be gentlemanly about all this okay? Okay."

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

neo-fascist theocracy here we come!

gently caress you forever, rbg

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TK8325 posted:

neo-fascist theocracy here we come!

gently caress you forever, rbg

Lol a little bit when I think of the most immoral, corrupt, least Christian president we've ever had outdoing Bush when it came to getting the fundies power.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Yep, it was a fun ride here in Americaland. I wish you all well, but I'm done. gently caress this poo poo, lol.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

A bit of good news, both my friend and I got our absentee ballots today. You better be sure I'm going to print that fucker out on Monday and send it off with tracking.

Hell of a way to wake up though. Happy about the ballot, then seeing the news about RBG. Took the wind out of my sails for the nice chill day I had planned.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SamBishop posted:

Yep, it was a fun ride here in Americaland.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

maybe we shouldnt have built our entire country

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Has anybody compared the stock market against the time she died yet?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

The beautiful irony is that we've hosed ourselves so hard that while the rest of the world is sort of getting back to their own poo poo, we're just straight-up banned. I have multiple meetings next week that were supposed to be in person in Tokyo, with a shitload of people so they could ask easy questions and I could show 'em answers, but welp, that's not an option anymore.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

This aged like milk

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Shanghaied posted:

Traditionally any SCOTUS nominees are going to come from one of the Federal Courts of Appeals, which is the level below SCOTUS. George W. Bush tried nominating one of his advisors, Harriet Miers, who had never been a judge before at any level. Republicans in the Senate made it clear the nomination did not have their support (a big part of that was because her position on abortion was unclear, though), and the nomination was withdrawn.

For the record, GW Bush only nominated SC Justices in his second term, when he appeared to win the popular vote. (Although there is some hinkie stuff surrounding OH on that...)

Trump’s going to nominate a pre-approved judge from the list the Federalist Society gives Republicans. It will be a total whacko fundie below 50 from the Federal Court of Appeals cuz that’s how they roll now. Most likely will be Amy Coney Barrett.

Judge Jeanine would be better because at least she’s 69-years-old and would likely be gone after ten or so years. Nope! The Republicans want someone who will gently caress us for ~40 years.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

LabyaMynora posted:

Traditionally any SCOTUS nominees are going to come from one of the Federal Courts of Appeals, which is the level below SCOTUS.

Let me just check Trump's record on sticking with tradition instead of doing what-the-gently caress-ever pops into his head during his morning poo poo.

Oh dear.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hell world option: Supreme Court Justice Roger Stone

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
just a constant lmao at all the hellworld "what if" scenarios actually occurring under President Donald J Trump

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Stoatbringer posted:

Let me just check Trump's record on sticking with tradition instead of doing what-the-gently caress-ever pops into his head during his morning poo poo.

Oh dear.

His SCOTUS picks have pretty much been who JEB! would have picked.

Convex posted:

Hell world option: Supreme Court Justice Roger Stone

He’s 68 and probably has hepatitis. Still better than the 40-something year-old Federalist Society ghoul that will get nominated.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Suck my yonk you yonkman

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
I bet it'll be Donald Trump Jr., so 2scoops can claim that it was a typo and reign supreme

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think it will be that concentration camp commander from Schindler's List

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Steve Brannon or Stephen Miller would be horrible choices.

I think it’s one of those assholes.

Or maybe the pile of orange poo poo will resign and slide in himself so he can be his own judge and jury

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

It'll be Merick Garland but he has to make a solid oath to vote conservative.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
So things going well in America I see, how's everybody doing? Been hearing some strange things

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh. The only silver lining in all this is I hope it makes people even more likely to vote in November.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Steadiman posted:

So things going well in America I see, how's everybody doing? Been hearing some strange things

the most predictable thing in the world happened.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Is there anything that says a president cannot nominate themselves for the position contingent on their resignation from the office of president once appointed?

Absolutely unprecedented and horrifying, but I'm not aware of anything that would legally prevent it?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1307321159113936896?s=19

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1307321098632077316?s=19

Welp

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So, do you guys have plans on what to do if trump tries a coup? Some kind bug out bag if you are gay/ethnic minority? Protest plans if you are white? You plan on fighting in the Biden Militia or just gonna sit it out while being high 24/7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pick posted:

that is legit a tough one for him because he's going to be under a ton of scrutiny and his race is WAY closer than it should be for a republican in south carolina

He'll probably have to gamble to do it else Trump excoriate him, but he may lose his senate seat over it either way. In which case, does he actually, actually like Trump?

they're going to confirm a justice after the elections, hth