Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Lads, I waited to long to make a thread and as is fitting this year in our lives, the op is going to be poo poo and made haphazardly and on my phone.

Here are your squads in order of last years finish:

Juventus FC
Internazionale Milano FC
Atalanta BC
SS Lazio
AS Roma
AC Milan
SSC Napoli
US Sassuolo Calcio
Hellas Verona FC
AFC Fiorentina
Parma Calcio 1913
Bologna FC 1909
Udinese Calcio
Cagliari Calcio
UC Sampdoria
Torino FC
Genoa CFC
Benevento Calcio
FC Crotone
Spezia Calcio

Spezia are making their serie A debuts after winning the promotion playoff. Benevento, led by Pippo Inzaghi, destroyed Serie B last year and I think had the title nearly wrapped up before the lockdown. They’ve also had the best market by far of the promoted teams. It’ll be good to see the Inzaghi brothers manage against each other.

Other big news is that Andrea Pirlo is the head coach of Juventus after Sarri was sacked and Parma were bought by an American conglomerate man who owns a chain of gas stations called, hand to god, Kum and Go. Let’s all hope that sponsor shows up soon to ruin an otherwise great kit. Let’s seee uuuhhh, De Laurentiis exposed the entire group of club presidents to COVID-19 by attending a conference while knowingly infected, that happened.

There will be some fans in stadiums where the regional government has allowed it. So far, Emilia Romagna (Parma, Sassuolo, Bologna) and Veneto (Hellas). I think this is insane.

This could theoretically be a good season since Juve are looking their worst in years meaning they could leave the title decider to maybe two or three game days before the last day, making Ronald mad. Antonio Conte will be mad until his average squad age is over 35 and the Napoli coffee man will have a lol with Mertens and Insigne for being bigger than them combined.

Sorry for the shite thread!!!! First match is today!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Can’t wait for my main man Weston McKennie to setup Big Ron for 69 goals

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Oh yeah, he’s the first American to ever play for Juve. I guess that is pretty big news!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Forza Palermo I don't loving care where they are rn

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

Oh yeah, he’s the first American to ever play for Juve. I guess that is pretty big news!

As if he serves any purpose other than to trick more Americans into following Juve

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Waiting for americans to watch calcio is like waiting for the Cygames deal to lead to a Juve anime girl V-tuber. It could happen, I guess.

Fatty G is gone, I don't even know what to think of the market, Pirlo is probably a mistake but one I'm willing to be wrong on, but whatever. Hopefully Hellas all infect themselves and that's that many less nazis in the world.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I've basically talked myself into the Pirlo thing at this point. All the PR pieces that Juve have planted in the media worked on me, I guess. Ultimately I agree with what he's doing to try to address last season's shaky defense - if you don't have legit defending fullbacks in the squad, don't do what Sarri did last year. Just play with wingbacks and a back 3.

Can't figure out what to expect from the midfield tbh. A lot rides on Arthur being a legit improvement over recent Pjanic, and Rabiot being closer to the player he was after the shutdown instead of the one he was before. Also maybe Pirlo can salvage Ramsey, Sarri didn't get much from him.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

I've basically talked myself into the Pirlo thing at this point. All the PR pieces that Juve have planted in the media worked on me, I guess. Ultimately I agree with what he's doing to try to address last season's shaky defense - if you don't have legit defending fullbacks in the squad, don't do what Sarri did last year. Just play with wingbacks and a back 3.

Unfortunately the hype around Piro reminds me a lot of the hype around Giampaolo and we saw how that worked. I don’t think it’ll work out as bad but it’s very similar.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Unfortunately the hype around Piro reminds me a lot of the hype around Giampaolo and we saw how that worked. I don’t think it’ll work out as bad but it’s very similar.

Yeah, I fully get that I'm drinking the kool aid. Ultimately with Juve's squad I think it'll be difficult for him to gently caress it up to the point where they won't be in the scudetto race. I could be wrong though, maybe he'll pull a Rafa/Gasperini-at-Inter debacle.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I think that they'll clearly be in the picture for a scudetto but that really shouldn't be the bar that we're aiming for. Unless Pirlo works some kind of wonder, that midfield looks like a liability anywhere outside of Italy and some places in Italy as well.

I'd like to see them in a CL final but I don't know if that will happen this year. At least I can hope that Benevento put something together to stay up a year so that maybe I can catch a game year after next.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I think Pirlo is not ready which makes me happy.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Does the Inter Miami ownership group have a relationship with Juve or are the Matuidi and Higuain moves just coincidence. The Montreal owner has some Serie A connections iirc.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Seltzer posted:

I think Pirlo is not ready which makes me happy.

He probably understands enough about the game and the squad to take what is still probably the best squad in Italy (debatable I know) to win another year.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Seltzer posted:

Does the Inter Miami ownership group have a relationship with Juve or are the Matuidi and Higuain moves just coincidence. The Montreal owner has some Serie A connections iirc.

Just a coincidence

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Gigi Galli posted:

De Laurentiis exposed the entire group of club presidents to COVID-19 by attending a conference while knowingly infected, that happened.

Natale In Ospedale

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

Natale In Ospedale

Lmao

Seltzer posted:

The Montreal owner has some Serie A connections iirc.

Does Joe Saputo own Montreal? He owns Bologna.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Lmao

Does Joe Saputo own Montreal? He owns Bologna.

Yeah they're the same ownership group. That's why there were deals like Taider and Dzemaili going to Montreal, plus there were 3 other Bologna players on loan at Montreal in the past year (I don't recognize any of the names though).

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

lol, just lol, at Parma going from Calisto Tanzi embezzling millions to buy Hernan Crespo to being owned by Iowans in the span of 20 years

(i will say that the Krauses have shoveled money into an amateur team in Des Moines and done so because they enjoy soccer)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/ADeLaurentiis/status/1307597252664463360?s=19 nbd, just the owner of a football team pledging his team's vote to today's election candidate.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Zappacosta is playing for Genoa now and he has scored a good goal. I had no idea that’s where Chelsea had sent him after Roma. Milan should’ve been after him ffs.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Kulusevski being a ginger slav is really something. Great goal though.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Kulusevski being a ginger slav is really something. Great goal though.

isn't he Swedish too?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Alexeythegreat posted:

As if he serves any purpose other than to trick more Americans into following Juve

He played the full 90 minutes. I didn’t watch the match, was he any good?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Shrapnig posted:

He was very good op.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Jason Sextro posted:

isn't he Swedish too?

Yeah

Shrapnig posted:

Very

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I'm gonna be real happy to be wrong about Pirlo. I liked what I saw this match and yeah it was Samp but I like that they didn't seem to ease up with the 1 goal lead.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1308070217747136512?s=19

And we're off to the first lol of the season

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Here’s another lol: the guardia di finanza are investigating “irregularities” in Suarez’s language test for his Italian passport. loving lol if he gets done for cheating on a test he didn’t need to take.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Here’s another lol: the guardia di finanza are investigating “irregularities” in Suarez’s language test for his Italian passport. loving lol if he gets done for cheating on a test he didn’t need to take.

He's joining Atletico Madrid anyway.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

He's joining Atletico Madrid anyway.

I know that's what makes it even better

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The lols keep coming.

The Roma exec that hosed up the player list, causing the 0-3 loss against Hellas, resigned, and is now signing for... Hellas

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

canepazzo posted:

The lols keep coming.

The Roma exec that hosed up the player list, causing the 0-3 loss against Hellas, resigned, and is now signing for... Hellas

lmao

I'd be a lot more pleased with this if it gave anyone other than Hellas (or Inter I guess) 3 free points.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Another excuse to post my favorite Roman documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxwXMweboi0

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Is Calhanoglu one of the best midfielders in the league? Dare I say yes. Amazing what a pandemic will do to a man. That assist for Colombo's goal tonight was :discourse: and his first goal was great. I mean the second one was too but less cool.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Dilkington posted:

Another excuse to post my favorite Roman documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxwXMweboi0

I will never not watch this whole thing lol

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Gigi Galli posted:

Is Calhanoglu one of the best midfielders in the league? Dare I say yes. Amazing what a pandemic will do to a man. That assist for Colombo's goal tonight was :discourse: and his first goal was great. I mean the second one was too but less cool.

We should've won last night. What an amazing second half. Best experience we've had in decades, just a shame we couldn't travel there with the team.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

euroboy posted:

We should've won last night. What an amazing second half. Best experience we've had in decades, just a shame we couldn't travel there with the team.

We should’ve killed it off in the first half but the second half was yours, agreed. Also hi!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

That massive Conte bullshit at the end of the Inter game. Only his teams manage to do this consistently. For fucks sake Fiorentina!!!!!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

he's gonna buy the most celebratory wig you ever saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Gigi Galli posted:

Idk who took over the mind of Hakan but the guy is playing so well I'm afraid he might get picked up by someone else.