Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've been at my job for 17 years. I'm 39. Last job? Who the gently caress knows. I always think I'm gonna get fired tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How the hell has anyone kept a job at the same place for so long? Don't you get bored?

Nearly every company I've ever been at has always done layoffs. :smith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Intern -> tech -> desktop admin -> network admin.

This year I finally got a tech under me. I'm fine with being bored. I have my own hobbies. Also I'm single and I live alone and that's my focus on changing.

I've also had the last week off and it's been glorious. No one appreciates you until you're gone a week and people realize what the gently caress you actually do.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Gabriel S. posted:

How the hell has anyone kept a job at the same place for so long? Don't you get bored?

Plenty of ways to not get bored, way too many to list.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Gabriel S. posted:

20 years in public education. There is always little people to put things in perspective.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I just got a notice in the monthly company email of an 45 year anniversary. We have a number of employees hitting 10+ year anniversary’s on the regular. I’m about to hit 5 myself, but I’m not super pleased with the attitude of our current CIO so we’ll see how much longer I last.

But what’s kept me around is consistent raises and bonuses, getting to work with new tech and (for the most part) a well funded department.

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 18, 2020

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Thanks Ants posted:

It only takes one buyout from an investment bank to poo poo all over your plans

Thanks to Blackstone and London Stock Exchange.

e: Just remembered I work with someone who got laid off twice and is still with this company. These people are hosed in the head.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Your “last job” is one rear end in a top hat manager away from not being your last job.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've been at the same job for 18 years now, and I'm 37.

It's a family owned company and I went to school with the COO/VP/Owners son,.

We don't have a high turnover rate; a good portion of staff is 10+ years. A few are going on 30. Far as I know the company has never laid off anyone in its 35 year history

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

Your “last job” is one rear end in a top hat manager away from not being your last job.

This is really true. A job can go from from "pretty happy" to "proactively emailing recruiters at Robert Half and TEKsystems" real fast because of toxic management.

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
I could see myself hanging at my job if I never want to move away from my city and state, and never see another meaningful raise in my life until my boss retired and I tried for her spot in 5+ years. So instead, i'm working on certs and coding/scripting skills and writing a big documentation bible I can leave behind for my replacement so they don't have to struggle uphill as much as I did when I started here.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

captaingimpy posted:

How is it decided when you need new servers? Is it load/performance based, or is it something like you need to setup a new customer? Is the DB software an actual database or is it something like a connector?

I'd look at CloudFormation, Ansible, Terraform, or Jenkins utilizing some or all of previously mentioned tools if you want a mash button make magic happen webpage before going down the docker route, especially if no one has experience in it.

Also, you typically don't want to do something that requires you to touch a docker container after it has been spun up. They're meant to be treated like cattle. Docker can do some really great things, but it can be a real PITA at times. For example, logging can be painful to manage, especially if the apps don't already have a good logging mechanism in place. I've also had a docker container come up in a dev environment that set off our A/V-Malware tool. Come to find out a developer grabbed a random docker image from a random registry that was loaded with all kinds of goodies. It was good that that happened though, because it allowed us to put a process in place for docker images and moving them through the different environments.

All of that to say, Docker is a great tool when used correctly and that I'd take some time to figure out if it's the right tool in your situation.

New servers are spun up for new customers, for the most part. A few big customers have autoscaling, but the vast majority just have an AWS instance that's their own. The DB software runs on that instance along with the web server. For the most part these are fairly small servers, 2-4 GB RAM dealies.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lazer Vampire Jr. posted:

I could see myself hanging at my job if I never want to move away from my city and state, and never see another meaningful raise in my life until my boss retired and I tried for her spot in 5+ years. So instead, i'm working on certs and coding/scripting skills and writing a big documentation bible I can leave behind for my replacement so they don't have to struggle uphill as much as I did when I started here.

I think the point is that people who are identifying their current position as their 'last job' are in a place where they can progress internally or they've reached a level they are happy to maintain, and the work keeps bringing interesting challenges.

If you're currently financially comfortable, have a decent amount of free time, a job that isn't damaging your health then what really is there to gain by chasing a salary increase?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I just had an interview where they told me the process ends with a full day “shadowing” on site. Lol why the hell should I go in and do a full days work unpaid for a chance at a job

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tetramin posted:

I just had an interview where they told me the process ends with a full day “shadowing” on site. Lol why the hell should I go in and do a full days work unpaid for a chance at a job

Lol If thats unpaid. Id laugh at them and walk out the room.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tetramin posted:

Yeah, I am pretty sure that is illegal.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I had an MSP want me to do that once and I said you’d have To pay me a full days worth of what my salary would be and they said they’re not ready to discuss salary and I noped the gently caress out of there.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Yeah I didn’t even think to ask if it’s paid, I just assumed no. I’ve got several opportunities in progress but I’m def gonna tell them hell no if I’m still looking when they get back to me and it is unpaid

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Defenestrategy posted:

Lol If thats unpaid. Id laugh at them and walk out the room.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Did they actually want you to just sort of sit behind somebody and watch them do their job for the day?

I doubt they were giving out admin rbac or anything to their one-day unpaid intern to actually do work.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I think the point is that people who are identifying their current position as their 'last job' are in a place where they can progress internally or they've reached a level they are happy to maintain, and the work keeps bringing interesting challenges.

If you're currently financially comfortable, have a decent amount of free time, a job that isn't damaging your health then what really is there to gain by chasing a salary increase?

Yeah, from my perspective, it's less "last job," and more "last employer." I want to go somewhere where my future career moves will be internal. Ideally, somewhere where I also get rewarded for loyalty (i.e. something like a public pension, and significantly increasing PTO with seniority).

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Do it and steal everything from the cafeteria.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

New servers are spun up for new customers, for the most part. A few big customers have autoscaling, but the vast majority just have an AWS instance that's their own. The DB software runs on that instance along with the web server. For the most part these are fairly small servers, 2-4 GB RAM dealies.

I'd definitely look at CloudFormation or Jenkins/Terraform for this. You could even capture/document the passwords and IPs if the software you're using to manage those has an API.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Methanar posted:

Did they actually want you to just sort of sit behind somebody and watch them do their job for the day?

I doubt they were giving out admin rbac or anything to their one-day unpaid intern to actually do work.

Lol yeah that’s a good question. They’re a hvac/plumbing company so that’s probably part of the process for their techs who do that stuff. But yep she basically said it’s a day of shadowing the person doing the role. You are right about them probably not setting up accounts and stuff so at best it’d be loving excruciatingly boring

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Re last job talk. My friend has a term for us that job hop. We’re “intellectual prostitutes”.

I’m fine with it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Tetramin posted:

Am I doing actual work?

Personally, I'd be quite okay with just getting lunch with my future co-workers or hanging out with them during an afternoon. I really wish more employees offered that opportunity.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 19, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Methanar posted:

More importantly, why would anyone think this is a good idea with COVID and general social distancing?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My org is transitioning from Win 7 to 10 and I'm setting up new machines. My goal is just to be able to unplug their old machine, drop in the new, and basically be done so I have a powershell script to grab their current profile, pst, and bookmarks. But without their login info I can't just throw their info into a c:\users\johndoe folder, it has to be created by Windows first or after their initial login to the machine their profile will actually be in c:\users\johndoe.workdomain

Is there a way around this without asking every user for their login / pw?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

My org is transitioning from Win 7 to 10 and I'm setting up new machines. My goal is just to be able to unplug their old machine, drop in the new, and basically be done so I have a powershell script to grab their current profile, pst, and bookmarks. But without their login info I can't just throw their info into a c:\users\johndoe folder, it has to be created by Windows first or after their initial login to the machine their profile will actually be in c:\users\johndoe.workdomain

Sounds like you're reinventing USMT? How many users are we talking about.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Honey Im Homme posted:

Not familiar with USMT, does it work before windows has created the user profile?

I have about 75 machines to replace.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

There are a bunch of registry keys you need to create too

But

Honey Im Homme posted:

This. USMT is the way to go.

It’s built in to MDT too, so you can set up a task that copies the usmt data to a network share, then another that rehydrates it on a new computer.

Network boot old computer, wait, network boot new computer, wait, done.

Or, if you want to get fancy, you image the new computer and it automatically pulls the usmt data and rehydrates it during the imaging process.

You can also do this with sccm if your org has it.

USMT is cool.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Not familiar with USMT, does it work before windows has created the user profile?

I have about 75 machines to replace.

It does.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/usmt/usmt-overview

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks all! SCCM is our big project for next year but I'll look into USMT.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks all! SCCM is our big project for next year but I'll look into USMT.

I cannot overstate how much this is a mistake vs InTune unless you're supporting large numbers of W7 clients. And if you are, that's a mistake too.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

I cannot overstate how much this is a mistake vs InTune unless you're supporting large numbers of W7 clients. And if you are, that's a mistake too.

This decision was made above me and is being headed by my boss and another employee who has experience in SCCM, so it's not really my call. I'm fairly new / getting back into IT after taking a few years off. I'm the senior desktop support person and do a bit of AD but am mostly trying to catch up to the current state of the industry after being out of it for several years.

Right now we're using Kace which seems pretty basic so anything should be an upgrade.

E: if it matters, there are about 550 devices, almost all Win 10 desktops and laptops, some Surfaces with Windows 8, and a smattering of ipads. And about 115 Win 7 machines, 75 of which I'm responsible for getting onto 10 by the end of the year.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 19, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a small enough number that Intune can easily cope with it

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Just can't really imagine the conversation of, "hey boss, the planning and work you've been doing for SCCM? You should stop with all that and do this instead. Take it from me, your new hire, the desktop support guy" when I don't even know enough about it to know what I'm talking about.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

When I was tier 1, and I wanted to change the opinions of people above me, I'd usually start on the specific problems that they were dealing with, and frame my pitch around that. "Hey guys, you know how our current config management can't do X, and it's frustrating everyone? Check out this video I found on Youtube of Intune doing exactly that. Looks pretty sweet."

It's how you introduce new solutions in to the conversation. You're not going to say "let's do this instead", cause like you said, you don't have the influence to do that. But you can make people aware of it, and if (when) SCCM starts pissing people off next year, you've planted the seed, and I'll bet someone is going to say, "there's got to be a product that doesn't require a dozen full-time admins to loving manage it. Say, didn't regulargonzalez show us that Toon thingy? I wonder if that could work?"

You don't need to start with "don't use SCCM", there's a dozen things you can say and do before that, that will start opening up minds, raising awareness of alternatives, planting doubts about the current plan, and when you get good enough at this stuff, you won't need to say "don't use SCCM", your seniors will reach the conclusion on their own.

(It also helps that SCCM will be a major source of strain on the department, and it will do most of the work of changing peoples' minds for you.)

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

I just noticed you mentioned that you're senior desktop support with a few years in the labor force, so this advice may be poo poo you already know. Sorry. I was mainly writing it for younger IT professionals new to working in the industry. Lord knows, when I was a fresh-out-of-school newb, just started in desktop support, this advice would have been very useful to me. Influencing opinion of your co-workers and managers is an essential skill, in any job.

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 19, 2020