Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, that interview with Porte just now was really nice too. Mixture of extremely tired and extremely grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Colnago/Campagnolo bike wins the tour, what is this, the 70s?

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
The worst thing about the doping spectre over this sport is that I can't watch a performance like that without wondering. Beyond the TT does Pogacar even have a supporting team this year?

Good to see porte on the podium finally, the year before he returns to working for someone else lol

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lampre wins the tour lmao

wait I forgot to lmao at this.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

serious gaylord posted:

fat-lampre-guy.jpg

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

i like the microphone with the little model cyclist on the end.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Colnago/Campagnolo bike wins the tour, what is this, the 70s?

:italy:

By far the nicest bike in the peleton. Eat poo poo inferior gruppo's

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

Win4Cunego :italy:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

colonel tom posted:

Beyond the TT does Pogacar even have a supporting team this year?

No help on the climbs as Aru was useless and died and Formolo was ok and died

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

De la Cruz did a turn once!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
After soft pedalling all the way there Carapaz ended up not getting any KOM points, Pog beat him up the climb by 1m12

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I'm still hooting and hollering about that ride.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

colonel tom posted:

The worst thing about the doping spectre over this sport is that I can't watch a performance like that without wondering. Beyond the TT does Pogacar even have a supporting team this year?

Good to see porte on the podium finally, the year before he returns to working for someone else lol

I might get proven wrong in two weeks but fundamentally I don't think this is really weirder than Classics Rider Geraint Thomas or Dogshit Young Rider Chris Froome out climbing everyone and then smashing everyone but Tom D in a TT, it's just more dramatic

I mean at least he won the Tour de l'Avenir

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1307357212675837952?s=19

:vince:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
So can we get a Yellow, Red Polka Dot and White bike themed bike for tomorrow?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

It's also poggers birthday on Monday

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I can't wait to see some Haitian kids in 49ers Super Bowl Champion jerseys riding a yellow XR4 and polka dot F12 around Port-au-Prince.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I might get proven wrong in two weeks but fundamentally I don't think this is really weirder than Classics Rider Geraint Thomas or Dogshit Young Rider Chris Froome out climbing everyone and then smashing everyone but Tom D in a TT
So what you’re saying is that it is very weird.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Were testers on lock down from March to June-ish like the rest of Europe?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Froome, I think he beat the 2012 Sky train/Froome record up Planche des Belles Filles by one second.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Just put bets on Slovenia to win the world cup and euros and maribor to win the champions league

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

iirc that was also at the start of the Tour rather than the tail end of one of the fastest Tours.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Xabi posted:

So what you’re saying is that it is very weird.

It's less weird because like WVA and Remco and unlike Thomas or Chris "nearly got fired before the 2011 Vuelta" Froome he was basically always considered insanely talented from a young age

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

So you’re saying that Team Sky were doped to the gills? If that’s what you’re saying then I agree. Fully.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Xabi posted:

So you’re saying that Team Sky were doped to the gills? If that’s what you’re saying then I agree. Fully.

:hmmyes:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Xabi posted:

I mean, I'm not not saying it

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
~6.9w/kg for 16:10 is almost 2009 Contador up the Verbier levels (~6.8 for 21min) when you consider this was after another 40 minutes worth of TT.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Even if it was juiced it was still one of the greatest rides of all time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TobinHatesYou posted:

~6.9w/kg for 16:10 is almost 2009 Contador up the Verbier levels (~6.8 for 21min) when you consider this was after another 40 minutes worth of TT.

Contador was a clean lad who got railroaded by very jealous British fans so I believe in Tad

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
this is it, this is the 2020 Tour image

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vando posted:

this is it, this is the 2020 Tour image

I liked this one more.

Also that climb by Pogacar was 1880VAM. Contador ~1864VAM, but for an additional 5 minutes on a much shallower climb.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
That was wild

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1307362686636875776

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Brutal.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

colonel tom posted:

If you're pessimistic enough about doping they are all on it so all the riders he beat as well.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Griefor posted:

If you're pessimistic enough about doping they are all on it so all the riders he beat as well.

Yeah I mean he just nuked a team that often had 4 riders in a group of 15 up mountains so if you're gonna complain about him doping well...

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
man that's heartbreaking for Roglic, he just had nothing left to give on that last climb

hell of a ride from Pogacar though

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Wow, as a team Jumbo completely hosed that up. Biggest team cock-up I've ever witnessed in my lifetime, that's for sure. I thought Jumbo needed to use their strengths way more tactically and aggressively than what they showed us. Pogz was without any teammates around him for a majority of this race. Even if we grant that Pogz is absolutely doped up to the loving gills, the amount of riders Jumbo had up front day after day should have been able to attack up the road and put him under way more pressure. Maybe Pogz could have covered every single attack, but Jumbo simply didn't try. They were clearly happy with holding a roughly 45' to 60' gap because they were thinking, "oh there is no way there can be this much difference between Pogz and Rogz on that last ITT". Hell, even I thought that that amount of time was unassailable so what the gently caress am I even droning on about here?

It just goes to show that anything can loving happen in an ITT at the end of a grand tour, and when you have a team as strong as Jumbo you can't take any lead for granted. Use your team's strength and put everyone else to the sword and claw out so much time that when the unexpected does happen, you have the buffer to withstand it.

Also :unsmith: to Richie.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Someone's pleased roglic lost

https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/1307357971152855048?s=19

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

paperwind posted:

Wow, as a team Jumbo completely hosed that up. Biggest team cock-up I've ever witnessed in my lifetime, that's for sure. I thought Jumbo needed to use their strengths way more tactically and aggressively than what they showed us. Pogz was without any teammates around him for a majority of this race. Even if we grant that Pogz is absolutely doped up to the loving gills, the amount of riders Jumbo had up front day after day should have been able to attack up the road and put him under way more pressure. Maybe Pogz could have covered every single attack, but Jumbo simply didn't try

If they had big Tom D still up there in the GC - which they would have done if they didn't gently caress up early - they would have got yellow for sure, even if it was a Bernal "whoops our back up guy got it" situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if he'll move. He's not with a team who can really provide the standard GC support roles, and nobody will ever let him in a breakaway ever again. They're rich though, and so many teams are folding... Tough choices.