Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

unlimited shrimp posted:

In his phone conversation with Butcher, did Hughie slip in that they think Stormfront killed the CIA woman? What's he basing that on?

Because the plot needs to move quicker in an 8 episode season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Collateral posted:

Perhaps they have seen him there with HL and Edgar told them to keep their distance, preferring to send BN after him.
This can't be the case, as BN found him by doing his own independent search. The show's writing is riddled with an ungodly amount of plot holes and exposition dumps. Then again, if you're expecting good tight writing in a show that budgets for superhero sex scenes, that's on you.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

There was a huge American fascist movement in the 1930s. One of the organizations even filled Madison Square Garden for a rally. Charles Lindbergh was one of them.

The madison square garden in 1939 was anti-fascist, though. It's in Trotsky's Fascism! book with pictures.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

BrotherJayne posted:

STOP QUOTING HIS loving GARBAGE

Anyhoo

The pacing seemed off for a bunch of this episode, but a part of that may have been just how amazing episode 4 was

but how will someone know im not a nazi if i dont quote every post the nazi makes to disagree

edit:

bioshuffle: the person called stormfront who is racist and has a literal german eagle on her belt, is a racist but we need evidence shes a nazi. also the kkk and white supremacists are not nazis, i am not a nazi

something awful posters: this person seems like someone who is perfectly reasonable and i can discuss with

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 19, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I like that the show suddenly has terrible writing and is full of loopholes now that the nazi is revealed to be a nazi. Just a shame.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do you guys have an honest to goodness pet Nazi Guy itt?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Collateral posted:

Perhaps they have seen him there with HL and Edgar told them to keep their distance, preferring to send BN after him.

I could see that, but I feel like there should have also been a sort scene where someone at Vought is watching the camera while Butcher goes over the wall and then calls the compound security and tells them to hold off and observe only.

Does anyone have an answer to my previous question about how Stormfront knows that Starlight leaked Compound V? They never show her interrogating anyone.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This is People Watching Things on a Screen: The Show.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

I could see that, but I feel like there should have also been a sort scene where someone at Vought is watching the camera while Butcher goes over the wall and then calls the compound security and tells them to hold off and observe only.

Does anyone have an answer to my previous question about how Stormfront knows that Starlight leaked Compound V? They never show her interrogating anyone.

She was 10 feet away when she was talking about it with Gecko, if she has even close to Homelanders super hearing she probably just heard.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like that the show suddenly has terrible writing and is full of loopholes now that the nazi is revealed to be a nazi. Just a shame.
Hate to break it to you, but it's always had loopholes and terrible writing. Even in the first season. :shrug: It does help that I've read a few books on writing. Save the Cat is a good place to get started if that kind of thing interests you. But you don't need great writing to be entertaining. That's why trash TV is so popular. Sometimes, you just want to sit down and watch people get their faces ripped off.

Also, the show has not made any revelations that Stormfront has any formal Nazi ties as of yet. I'm sure it's coming, but for now she is just a character with racist views. Being somewhat of a armchair historian, I can definitely tell you there is definitely a clear distinction between the two hate groups. Both despicable, but definitely not the same. It gets confusing because of a lot of members of KKK changed into Neo-Nazis, but they are not the same hate group. If you can't understand this basic fact, I can't really help you at this point.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Because Starlight is an absolute idiot and she is terrible at lying. Just look at her body language. She's like a dog feigning innocence with chocolate smothered all over their nose.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 19, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Or, to be honest, she might have heard it using regular hearing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

socialsecurity posted:

She was 10 feet away when she was talking about it with Gecko, if she has even close to Homelanders super hearing she probably just heard.

Arglebargle III posted:

Or, to be honest, she might have heard it using regular hearing.

They would have shown a brief shot of her overhearing then. Come on, this show has flaws but they wouldn't overlook something like that.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

They would have shown a brief shot of her overhearing then. Come on, this show has flaws but they wouldn't overlook something like that.

We've seen that Stormfront is really cunning and intelligent. She probably has eyes all over Vought, seeing as she has been part of the organization for so long. There's a good chance Edgar knows already.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Bioshuffle posted:

We've seen that Stormfront is really cunning and intelligent. She probably has eyes all over Vought, seeing as she has been part of the organization for so long. There's a good chance Edgar knows already.

Does not knowing whether she's a *formal Nazi* make it harder or easier for you to cum?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Or, maybe gecko just loving told her. It's not like she's above being charming to get what she wants.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
I see a lot of people itt making assumptions not in evidence about black noirs motivations based on their reading of his reaction to the v-reveal scene. Yes he is sobbing but he is throughly a company man. He could just as easily be sobbing because stockholder value will be effected.

It remains to be seen if there is any emotion behind the mask.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Or, maybe gecko just loving told her. It's not like she's above being charming to get what she wants.

This is actually what I was thinking but again we're never shown this and she never says "a reliable source told me" or something. I guess it's not supposed to matter. We're probably just supposed to think she's really smart and resourceful and we're supposed to be kinda scared of her in that way.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Durzel posted:

Not acting in a certain way, the way everyone else does, can be characterisation too. When every other supe on the show is mired in drama, and Vought is having to stage manage them constantly, having someone who appears to be invested in the job gives the impression of being principled. Those principals involve murder on command of course, but principals nonetheless.

I would agree that it’s an reach to suggest that BN has some bushido code that means he (it?) might balk at doing something immoral, but he’s been shown to be methodical and focused, and has spared an innocent life who he could just as easily have killed (the kid during the terrorist kill), whilst killing another who presumably was innocent (the woman at the start). He was also the one that had the most visceral reaction to the news of the Compound V leak.

There is also the fact that BN actually being a robot who simply does Vought’s bidding is pretty boring and can’t really go anywhere story wise.

No one is saying he has positive qualities, so I’m not sure where you got that from.

Eh dudes love a muscular dude killing ppl left and right who doesnt speak. Not saying its necessarrily from you but its something im picking up from viewers. Its a natural reaction to power, to try to venerate it in some way, or soften its harsher angles.

I think its funnier and more interesting to see Noir as hes been portrayed so far, terrible at his job, if its anything other than just murdering ppl horribly amd traumatically.

His idea of stealth is lying on a roof at noon. His plan for infiltrating a home is to trip every wire and let it blow up around him. His notion of detective skills is scratching a name in construction paper and looming over the nerd that does the work.

Its a criticism of a power fantasy that I find pretty interesting myself.

Noit is nothing but a corporate killer with a really good marketing team.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Does not knowing whether she's a *former Nazi* make it harder or easier for you to cum?

I'm just as confused as you about why so many people here are obsessed with her Nazi past. Nazi or no Nazi, she's still a racist piece of poo poo.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
He found Cherie's place just fine (and was seen there too). My read is that he could sneak up and murder people but likes the theatrics and creating cold "oh gently caress" moments in his quarry.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It was hard not to laugh at the recent episodes roast of big budget formulaic comic book hero films.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

He found Cherie's place just fine (and was seen there too). My read is that he could sneak up and murder people but likes the theatrics and creating cold "oh gently caress" moments in his quarry.

Im having trouble exactly remembering this, but didnt a tech guy pull up Frenchie's addresses?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

alexandriao posted:

german eagle

She literally has the American flag on her uniform, and Eagles are kind of an American thing.

She is definitely a racist, I'm not disputing any of that. Show has not shown in any way shape or form that she is a Hitler adoring Nazi. If you theorize that she is, you're welcome to. I also think she may be. We just have to watch and see what happens to know for sure. I will concede that Third Reich also used Eagles as part of their symbology, and there was a bit of controversy over a shirt featuring the eagle due to the similarity, but the American flag makes it pretty clear this is mostly definitely not a Nazi uniform. You're welcome to disagree as this is open to interpretation.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

She got it from Starlight’s mom. Starlight had already confronted her mom about compound V before it was public and Stormfront put the timeline together. That’s why she first brings it up during that meeting.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Starks posted:

She got it from Starlight’s mom. Starlight had already confronted her mom about compound V before it was public and Stormfront put the timeline together. That’s why she first brings it up during that meeting.

Oh poo poo. Good catch! Pageant moms ruin everything.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Starks posted:

OK that's fair. I guess that was just too subtle for me lol I'm bad at watching TV!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

TBH I read it as Stormfront the Nazi making an educated guess about Starlight and Starlight's unconvincing denial just confirming it for her.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

She has the monochrome Blue Lives Matter flag on her arm, not the American flag!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

GimpInBlack posted:

TBH I read it as Stormfront the Nazi making an educated guess about Starlight and Starlight's unconvincing denial just confirming it for her.

My wife said that too and I like that idea as well.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It'd be great if they'd just reveal her as a nazi next episode so the remaining few episodes of chat aren't just this same thing over and over

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I got a question about costume design. What do they call it when they give a costume a 'texture' by having tiny repeating patterns all over it?

First time I noticed it was the Raimi Spider Man movies, then you saw something similar in the more recent Superman movies. In the Star Trek reboot they took the old style uniforms and had tiny starfleet patterns all over it.

In some cases, the pattern is some shape in a raised relief, sometimes it's just a simple pattern to emulate fabric while other times it's more intracate. For instance Homelander's costume has little eagles over it, similar to the repeating 's' symbols on superman'.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

They were definitely mocking her. She makes a huge scene about how she will hold him accountable. Once he actually shows up in person, she does a complete 180, basically demonstrating to the whole world she is all talk and no walk. Also, he makes fun of her dance video.

Props to that one veteran guy for actually standing up to him.

Yes, being implicitly threatened by the most powerful being on the planet into handing him a microphone is a true example of being "all talk and no walk" about a character we've seen murder planefuls of people more than once.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Professor Shark posted:

Yes, and we feed him quotes, responses, interaction/attention, and electrolytes.

Panfilo posted:

I got a question about costume design. What do they call it when they give a costume a 'texture' by having tiny repeating patterns all over it?

First time I noticed it was the Raimi Spider Man movies, then you saw something similar in the more recent Superman movies. In the Star Trek reboot they took the old style uniforms and had tiny starfleet patterns all over it.

In some cases, the pattern is some shape in a raised relief, sometimes it's just a simple pattern to emulate fabric while other times it's more intracate. For instance Homelander's costume has little eagles over it, similar to the repeating 's' symbols on superman'.

I believe that is called "texture"

Or "motif"

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 19, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Panfilo posted:

Homelander's might be some kind of Bargello? :shrug:

Cavill's superman is something else.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Professor Shark posted:

He's not a Nazi, he's just "asking questions"...

Oh great- an armchair historian and an armchair screenwriter...
:jerkbag:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Homelander's suit is dirty unlike the rest of the team's costumes and we've seen scenes of him refusing to take off his suit

I guess what I'm asking is are we also to assume compound V also prevents body odor because he has to be extremely dirty by now having not taken a shower in years

Or is his suit meant to allow him to shower in it nevernude style and it just air dries

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Even if you're 100% convinced the nazi named character who hates nonwhites and wears multiple nazi symbols isn't a nazi who is inside the void you're shouting into?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Orange Carlisle posted:

It'd be great if they'd just reveal her as a nazi next episode so the remaining few episodes of chat aren't just this same thing over and over

bioshuffle: okay yes she's a nazi but there's no proof she's literally hitler

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

I wonder if stormfront showing up right after HL started breaking ranks means anything?

how many people do you think HL knows the lasers wont just chop in half? he so overpowers all the other supes its probably uncommon that he cant just toast some guys nuts with the lasers.

as for BN, dudes a clown. his version of stealth is just walking slowly. he did the same thing in the first season. i think its likely that he was going after butcher on his own and edgar was just watching because one of the seven was in action. though being ordered to makes sense as well. so noirs powers are strength, speed, very good regen and a lot of invulnerability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Am I misremembering or was the face-ripping scene taken wholesale from the comics? I think it might have been Kimiko’s original introduction moment?

(I still can’t believe that actor is Glimmer from She-Ra. Maybe it would be more obvious if she ever spoke...)