Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

p fun game so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't know what made me think to try this, but here's a silly thing I just found out is not possible that surprised me: You can't build ladders that interact in any way with bridges. You can't build a ladder that leans against a bridge, or build a ladder on top of a bridge, or do anything with a ladder really that wouldn't leave both ends touching the ground were it to fall over. I can't think of any practical applications for doing it so it's not a big deal, but it was I think the first time in so many dozens of hours of play that I went "woah, I actually can't do that". Honestly that's impressive that it took this long to have a moment like that though imo.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Lou Takki posted:

I really really loved this game and I find myself thinking about it often. It's really sad to me however how many people I know just couldn't get into it at all. I'm thinking about playing MGS5 next as I haven't played a MGS game since MGS 3 on the OG xbox. Is MGS 5 at all similar to this? Would anyone recommend playing MGS 5 after DS?

MGSV and Death Stranding share a lot of the same DNA, actually. Setting aside Kojima plot stuff (and the plot of MGSV is, to be clear, a LOT worse than Death Stranding. IMO it also mostly works, but it's hit-to-miss ratio is a lot shaker than DS's) there's a lot of the core gameplay. You explore big open rural terrains, get to know them extremely well - although in MGS you're getting to know them to figure out where to sneak and snipe and do other solider stuff. There's so many goddamn gadgets and military gear and stuff that there's almost countless ways to go about doing any mission. The plot too is interesting and raises a lot of gonzo heady questions most games avoid (kinda like Death Stranding) but doesn't clinch the ending as well as DS (or really, at all) and so you're left pondering the questions and not with emotional catharsis DS offered.

But the main link I think is in the organization aspects of the gameplay. Both MGSV and DS posit you as the guy who is the only one who can get things done, they both feature protagonists who build an organization powerful enough to change the world -- and in both Kojima wants you to feel the annoyance of how much loving WORK that is at times. So DS's fiddling through menus to figure out optimal load and what vehicles to take for a particular mission turn into fiddling through menus to find the best recruit for the job, promote promising officers, and uh, figuring out what vehicles to take for a particular mission.

MGSV also has best-in-class stealth and action gameplay, but if that's not a draw I'd suggest turning it down to easy because the rest of the experience sounds right up your alley. There's a lot of DS in MGSV and vice versa.

edit: oh and his weirdo pacifism is there too. I beat MGSV without killing a single person, IIRC. This year the multiplayer community finally disarmed everyone's nukes (for the multiplayer side) and a special hidden cutscene popped up because Kojima wanted that to be an option but wanted people to choose it of their own will.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 19, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah I got yelled at for suggesting DS was a similar experience to MGSV in the MGS thread but it really is. You can just kinda see the DS idea organically growing out of sneaking around the camps and taking materials.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

night slime posted:

Yeah I got yelled at for suggesting DS was a similar experience to MGSV in the MGS thread but it really is. You can just kinda see the DS idea organically growing out of sneaking around the camps and taking materials.

If you saw that as a central idea of Phantom Pain then yes, the two games would seem very similar.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Aren't you literally tasked with building a mother base with said materials. Is that not a central idea of the game?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

night slime posted:

Aren't you literally tasked with building a mother base with said materials. Is that not a central idea of the game?

My experience was that the more prominent focus was on completing missions and eliminating enemies. Resource gathering, base construction, personnel management, and equipment development all seemed to be in furtherance of that rather than ends in themselves.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah, I should have specified that I mostly meant they were similar in that resource gathering regard I guess, mostly because I don't know of many games that are supposed to be like MGSV with the tactical stealth bit, which is odd since it was so popular. I guess it's easier to make a regular shooter game.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DS and MGSV share a lot of DNA, but are still very different games. That said I def feel like there is crossover appeal there.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now that I’m almost at the end of DS, I’m pretty sure if there had been a big budget Zybourne clock game the story would be indistinguishable from something Kojima would write. In fact I’m starting to think Hideo Kojima is a pseudonym used by a Japanese version of SA.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

If there are any 2 games from the last few years i wish i could play for the first time again it would be RE7 and Death Stranding.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Shame Boy posted:

If there are any 2 games from the last few years i wish i could play for the first time again it would be RE7 and Death Stranding.

:same: but also DMC5

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

The Shame Boy posted:

Still have yet to play RE7 but yes on DS and would add Breath of the Wild

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm too much of a pussy to try RE7 again on normal. I kept running dry on resources when cleaning up the black mold, you can only heal in real-time, and despite Uncle Jack only being a menace in the second level him popping up without fanfare gets me on edge,

RE2 is much more relaxing, even with Dolph Lundgren harassing you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

jisforjosh posted:

Still have yet to play RE7 but yes on DS and would add Breath of the Wild

It's funny because I started BotW this week and it's a little like reliving Death Stranding. Figuring out how to get somewhere, not just route but what preparations to make, have been such a big part of the fun.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Game I could play again for the first time? Hollow Knight.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

John DiFool posted:

Game I could play again for the first time? Hollow Knight.

just picked that up again with a fresh save recently and god drat it is worth revisiting

that game's world just hooks me like no other, it's aesthetically spectacular

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Reverse Trike model coming soon: http://en.kotobukiya.co.jp/product/product-0000003890/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Holy poo poo. My Nendoroid Sam is on back order due to low stock and now they're gonna make me buy this too??? You bastards

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Just beat this. I was really begging for everything to be over by the end.

End Game Spoilers

After I dealt with Higgs and rescued Amelie I was loving so excited to be able to put it down. But then they made me walk all the drat way back which was thematic, and at least I got to play the loving game. The same thing could not be said for the last two hours of cutscenes where the game explains how loving clever it is. Jesus.

Decent game, when the game actually let you play it.

night slime
May 14, 2014
It didn't land with some people but I thought it was okay. In the context of the game, the beach takes a really long time, and Sam was there for like 30 years. It's presumably to make you feel like him.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I thought the double jump only showed up in that last long beach scene, was that seriously in the game the whole time?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Snowy posted:

I thought the double jump only showed up in that last long beach scene, was that seriously in the game the whole time?

IIRC it only works when you're below a certain weight percentage

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah I noticed it very late too, probably from using the speed skeleton for a long time.

Weird gameplay thing I noticed recently was not being able to used the rock hologram when BB had autotoxemia. It just buzzes and doesn't let you pick it for some reason.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

night slime posted:

Yeah I noticed it very late too, probably from using the speed skeleton for a long time.

Weird gameplay thing I noticed recently was not being able to used the rock hologram when BB had autotoxemia. It just buzzes and doesn't let you pick it for some reason.

I imagine the screams make pretending to be a rock kind of pointless.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Snowy posted:

You can use it with the power and all-terrain skeletons as long as you're not super loaded down. The speed skeleton has a long jump instead that gets an amazing amount of distance.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/australia-disposal-350-dead-pilot-whales-rescue-mass-beaching-tasmania/

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Midjack posted:

I imagine the screams make pretending to be a rock kind of pointless.

New thread title.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

New thread title.

loling

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Does anyone know the name of the OST track playing during the Chapter 7 spoiler: encounters with Unger on the battlefield?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My Sam Nendoroid arrived!!!

The build quality is seriously amazing, tons of articulation in the arms and legs. The mix and match snap-on cargo boxes are a really smart and fun addition. Lots of combinations of heads/hands/accessories. What really blows me away is how close it looks to the pre-release photos, props to Good Smile for properly representing the product in their promos.

Tons of tiny attention to detail in the paint and modeling, even down to the miniscule cargo box stickers. The Odradek has FOUR points of rotation/articulation, one for each arm (and it's removable independent of the backpack!). They even included a tiny dreamcatcher that you can move freely to give the illusion of motion.

Every single cargo box has little grooves in it so you can take out the handle from the default one and have him hold whichever one you want. The L-Size cargo boxes also have grooves in the top for going from horizontal to vertical placement if you want to build a huge tall stack just like the real deal.

They put an extra articulation point on the forearm just above the elbow so you can rotate the ball joint shoulder independently of the arm. With that addition, the arm goes up so far that he can hold onto the backpack straps just like in the game!

Overall it cost about a hundred dollars USD to buy and ship this guy, and I can say with certainty that it was totally worth it. Such certainty in fact that I'm going to buy the Cliff Nendoroid as well! I'm really impressed with the build quality and attention to detail, this is my first Nendoroid and I can really see the care and love that went into designing it. Someone at Good Smile really likes Death Stranding.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 3, 2020

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

CJacobs posted:

My Sam Nendoroid arrived!!!

I'm so jealous! My order got messed up and I'm set to receive the non-great deliverer version (doesn't have all that beautiful cargo) but even that hasn't arrived yet

The detail looks so great!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I finally got a new pc that will run this and I'm not very far in but what in the gently caress is wrong with Kojima's brain?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I finally got a new pc that will run this and I'm not very far in but what in the gently caress is wrong with Kojima's brain?

:getin:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

In Hideo we trust. The king! He's cooking up a new game for us as we speak.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

D-Pad posted:

Kojima is a living demonstration of what happens to your mind when you are able to see the future. Mankind cannot interpret your predictions until they have already passed. God help the poor sap who has to lug Trump's body all the way to the incinerator.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The ad for Reedus's AMC motorcycle show when taking a poo poo is :discourse:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

can you only use the music player in the private room? hosed up if true

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

can you only use the music player in the private room? hosed up if true

You can build a string of mailboxes and set music on them but sadly iPods are a lost technology and there’s no chiral Spotify yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Midjack posted:

You can build a string of mailboxes and set music on them but sadly iPods are a lost technology and there’s no chiral Spotify yet.

drat! postman sam having an ipod makes more sense than snake having an ipod. then again i guess it would undermine the loneliness the game's trying to get across, and make the bits where the licensed music kicks in a bit less special