Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

star eater posted:

oh good, more evidence that pubbies SUCK at this game. i didn’t see that cause i only started playing in s5

I am not surprised they suck, lots of people suck and that's ok. What I'm surprised at is how this game supposedly has SBMM but puts me in a casual game with two bad players and the champ squad is a very hardcore 3-stack all with badges I'm nowhere close to earning. Or when I group up with Diamond level players and get put in a game where every other squad, seemingly, has a Mr. Beam in it (as in, you're gonna get beam'd by some pretty great shots). It just doesn't seem to work, I'm always either vastly too good or way too bad.

dogstile posted:

Sure they get punked a lot, but they're willing to fight so they're probably gonna hit the odd shot. The fuckwits who land on the edge of the map and creep about? I keep telling myself i should just leave those games. Not once have I seen that sort of squad win a fight without me downing all three enemies solo.

Confession: I actually do just leave those games. I'm not a dick or anything, I throw my poo poo on the ground, ping it, and leave. Enjoy playing Apex: Stealth Action edition, I'm not interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i literally without fail will always drop straight down to the nearest poi whenver i am jumpmaster

e: on that note, i don't know if jump strats were ever changed, is it still follow a gradual exponential curve down to the location or are there different strats for approaching different distances?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know I suck, and many times I am the pubbie where my teammates have 5-7 kills and 1000 damage and I'm chilling with maybe 100 damage and a few revives.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Just had my jumpmaster overshoot the cargo ship, plunging us into the water next to the hanging skull. Total playtime: 23 seconds

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Car Hater posted:

Just had my jumpmaster overshoot the cargo ship, plunging us into the water next to the hanging skull. Total playtime: 23 seconds
Amazing. I've never done this but if the ship's heading over water I'm hella cautious or just full avoid it so I don't be that guy that kills us all accidentally.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Flying through the laser is a good one, too.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Lots of good improvement chat, it's helpful to hear about this stuff I think. One thing I know I struggle with is the team mentality. Like ok first pubbie ignores us and wanders off and gets 3v1'd. Then my teammate runs into the building and immediately dies. I know what's gonna happen is I solo push that position but feel bad about my 'team' despite the fact that I had little to do then both dying.

The only time I've legit just left someone to expire on purpose was some dick who didn't communicate, ran into the middle of two teams fighting and then acted like I was the rear end in a top hat for not 'pushing'. Instead I got two of the other teams that were fighting, ran ahead of the ring and took out a guy in a three team squad, all while the dick jawed about how good they were and how much I sucked. I really don't get people sometimes.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Playing the game to gain situational awareness is important, I spent a bunch of time a few months ago aim training as best I could in the firing range and it really helped.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Pubbies that I've encountered lately using their mics:

- Australian bogans who were way too intense about a video game
- New Zealand bogans who were way too intense about a video game
- White South African children who were suuuuuuuuuper racist

Carillon posted:

The only time I've legit just left someone to expire on purpose was some dick who didn't communicate, ran into the middle of two teams fighting and then acted like I was the rear end in a top hat for not 'pushing'. Instead I got two of the other teams that were fighting, ran ahead of the ring and took out a guy in a three team squad, all while the dick jawed about how good they were and how much I sucked. I really don't get people sometimes.

The only unforgivable sin for me that I won't revive/respawn for is someone who spams the enemy button when they've been knocked down and then spams the respawn beacon button when they're dead. Go play Call of Duty you narcissistic child.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am not surprised they suck, lots of people suck and that's ok. What I'm surprised at is how this game supposedly has SBMM but puts me in a casual game with two bad players and the champ squad is a very hardcore 3-stack all with badges I'm nowhere close to earning. Or when I group up with Diamond level players and get put in a game where every other squad, seemingly, has a Mr. Beam in it (as in, you're gonna get beam'd by some pretty great shots). It just doesn't seem to work, I'm always either vastly too good or way too bad.

Confession: I actually do just leave those games. I'm not a dick or anything, I throw my poo poo on the ground, ping it, and leave. Enjoy playing Apex: Stealth Action edition, I'm not interested.

i mean, if 90% of players suck, is there even a proper skill spread on the demographics to fully fill out SBMM properly?

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

star eater posted:

i mean, if 90% of players suck, is there even a proper skill spread on the demographics to fully fill out SBMM properly?

The problem with Apex SBMM is that it doesn't reflect what most people expect of the word "skill". Going by the (bad) metric of player distribution across ranks, at the end of Season 5:
Bronze 16.21%
Silver 22.83%
Gold 32.3%
Platinum 23.96%
Diamond 4.37%
Master/Predator 0.31%

Very important note: these stats include players who have played more than 2 hours only. I think this causes overrepresentation of low ranks because getting high rank needs more activity.

Does it mean diamond player should be better than ~95% of players? Maybe on average across many games, which is when the SBMM model in Apex actually works. The problem is they stir it up every several weeks to "motivate" people and you can't downrank otherwise, so it will never reach a representative equilibrium point.

I don't think 90% of players suck, I think there is confirmation bias where bad play is more noticeable but everyone makes mistakes some games. Moving up the rank punishes you harder for making mistake, but it also punishes you for your teams mistake, like suicide play or trolling plat because you can't downrank and get stuck at P4 and get matched with diamond trying to claw way up and you can burn their 48RP. Thanks Respawn very cool

I'm not sure where this post was going and it turned into a bit rant

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Yellow Yoshi posted:

I'm not sure where this post was going and it turned into a bit rant

Ranked sucks because there's no incentive at points and you don't really care.

SBMM sucks but there really isn't a viable solution unless your playerbase is 1,000,000+ strong and your matchmaking is done by some hyperAI that juggles metrics of skill, consistency, server connection, and what you ate for breakfast that day.

I still think Ranked needs a "hook". Like, any game you get +150 RP in, you get crafting mats. Or at the end of a season, you get Apex Packs * Your Ranked Level. Something to convince people to both work hard and not give up.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd give a poo poo about ranked if i got permanent dive trails or something. Sucks they took that out.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

freebooter posted:

The only unforgivable sin for me that I won't revive/respawn for is someone who spams the enemy button when they've been knocked down and then spams the respawn beacon button when they're dead. Go play Call of Duty you narcissistic child.

Do people generally find people who spam enemy when down annoying? I only do it when I'm getting thirst finishered as a general indicator that it's happening but idk what that even looks like to my team since I never see anyone do it for me

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Like, despite the talk of terrible pubbies or whatever, it still amazes me how little awareness people in this game have.
https://clips.twitch.tv/HeadstrongPleasantPelicanDoritosChip

Though does work out when people expect you to have the same level of awareness.
https://clips.twitch.tv/BetterBloodyOtterBudBlast

dogstile posted:

I'd give a poo poo about ranked if i got permanent dive trails or something. Sucks they took that out.

Wait, you don't even get to keep the dive trails? Trash.

Futaba Anzu posted:

Do people generally find people who spam enemy when down annoying? I only do it when I'm getting thirst finishered as a general indicator that it's happening but idk what that even looks like to my team since I never see anyone do it for me

I too use it if I'm being finished, but I'm also usually on mic.
There are definitely some people that just spam it all over the place because they've been downed. Luckily you can mute teammate pings.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've kept my original dive trail since the first ranked season, is it only the later trails they remove every season?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've kept my original dive trail since the first ranked season, is it only the later trails they remove every season?

Yeah they decided to make the dive trails a limited time thing in Ranked Series 3 (Season 4). But it would be real lovely to take them away after the fact so the trails for Series 1 & 2 are permanent. Kinda negates what they were going for IMO.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
That sucks. I want a dive trail but no one played ranked back then(or now). I've been waiting in a game since season 1 and I'm still 1 of 1 in the queue.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

So if you’re a curve wrecker then you’re gonna get trash teammates in solo queue because SBMM is trying to balance the relative skill in each squad. Since you’re consistently placing high and doing a lot of damage I bet it will sandbag your squad to even things out.

If your win rate is above 5% you’re probably on the right side of the curve.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They want you to win 5% of your games so at 15% I was probably breaking the gently caress out of their algorithm. :v:

It's fine they fixed it, I haven't had a random teammate stay past the first fight in the past 20 games

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

dogstile posted:

Agreed. I was absolutely crushed when they did this.

John DiFool posted:

So if you’re a curve wrecker then you’re gonna get trash teammates in solo queue because SBMM is trying to balance the relative skill in each squad. Since you’re consistently placing high and doing a lot of damage I bet it will sandbag your squad to even things out.

If your win rate is above 5% you’re probably on the right side of the curve.

I get what you're saying but why the gently caress is the Champ squad a 3 stack of absolute murderers? SBMM just shrugging it's dang shoulders and saying "Hey man I gotta make a game here?"

Because when I play with a Diamond-level player I get put in the queue where half the squads are those types...why are they showing up in the "an ok solo player and two slices of ham" queue? (rhetorical question, none of us know enough about the internals to determined this).

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 20, 2020

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Agreed. I was absolutely crushed when they did this.

I get what you're saying but why the gently caress is the Champ squad a 3 stack of absolute murderers? SBMM just shrugging it's dang shoulders and saying "Hey man I gotta make a game here?"

Because when I play with a Diamond-level player I get put in the queue where half the squads are those types...why are they showing up in the "an ok solo player and two slices of ham" queue? (rhetorical question, none of us know enough about the internals to determined this).

I'm guessing here, but I think SBMM *tries* to place premades and solo & duos into separate queues. But if there's not enough people on to make somewhat balanced lobbies it will probably merge the queues. I've seen this type of behavior in Titanfall 2's matchmaking system.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

dogstile posted:

They want you to win 5% of your games so at 15% I was probably breaking the gently caress out of their algorithm. :v:

It's fine they fixed it, I haven't had a random teammate stay past the first fight in the past 20 games

I was going to make some self own saying I veer horribly to the other side of that but I guess actually I'm not doing too horrible at 15 wins in 390 games s6 so far which puts me at around 3.8% winrate so far

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

SBMM should be tuned to make every squad a trio of a high-skill player, a totally average player, and a comic relief permanent wood league player

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly i'd just settle for not getting put into trio lobbies as a solo player.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Yeah the level of random player has gone down even further, it seems. I've taken to just narrating how dumb my mates are over the mic, thanking them for terrible drops and commenting on them looting while the circle's up their rear end. Can't wait until the switch newcomers swamp comes through with crossplay.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Sometimes... pubbies are good???

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes pubbies are lucky!

In the far distance we heard teams fighting. And then the ring took them all. Good times.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I had a pubbie called ElonMuskquito. It made me laugh so i'm posting it here.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Despite my initial disappointment regarding the evo shield situation, Armed & Dangerous has been amazing for my win rate. Probably because of the easy access to Triple Takes. I’ll be sad to see it go tomorrow.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

DUMMIES MODE LETS GO!!! gently caress those wraith hitboxes, I just want to shoot dummy mans!

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

i've been getting put in trios with people who are >level 250 and have diamond badges, but i've been getting 2+ kills most games and breaking 1k damage. win rate is slightly above 5%. feeling overconfident from this, i foolishly decided to solo queue a ranked game. for the first time in weeks since i quit playing ranked i just wanted to get my 100 points to go from silver 1 into gold 4

one teammate quit at character select. other teammate fell off the map while looting, before we fired a single shot. 30 seconds later a full squad walks right by me to go loot his deathbox, turns around, and shreds me.

man in the eyeball hat fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 23, 2020

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Well, at least if they quit at character select, you shouldn't lose RP with the forgiveness, right? :thumbsup:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you’re dropping 1k per game against Diamond players you should be able to win silver games this late in the season with one hand and no teammates.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Chemmy posted:

If you’re dropping 1k per game against Diamond players you should be able to win silver games this late in the season with one hand and no teammates.

They said they're getting Diamond teammates. Doesn't mean the rest of the lobby is Diamonds.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

New Bangalore tactical (jetpack) looking good.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Regrettable posted:

They said they're getting Diamond teammates. Doesn't mean the rest of the lobby is Diamonds.

no, champion was typically diamond. i duo queued with a friend (i'm low 100s, he's mid 100s) after that ranked incident and our pubbies were <level 50 with level 250-level 500 champions still.

man in the eyeball hat fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 23, 2020

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

i really don't get how the trios MM works at this point. I'm not a diamond player, nor do i profess to be, but I get queued with diamond champs frequently. in the same matches i get matched with teammates who have seemingly never played the game before. occasionally i get matched with a squad that carries my rear end (33k kill lifeline + 7k kill crypto carried my rear end in a trio game a few weeks ago).

I hit mid gold in season 5 and gave up on ranked in this split because the difficult lobby-to-lobby seemed extremely inconsistent pushing through silver even when I queued with the same 3-stack of people as last season when we hit mid-gold

man in the eyeball hat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My buddy just picked up a PS4 fo free and wanted to start gaming. We've been playing some warzone and i mentioned if he likes BRs than apex is alot of fun with the movement and combat. He downloaded it and i took him into the firing range where we were immediately overwhelmend by the amount of poo poo going on wrt shields, ammo, guns much less the combat mechanics. We dicked around a bit and went into a game but idk if its my MMR or what but he got immediately smoked

Are there any good introductory videos? Hes down to watch and learn. I just don't know what to send him.

How do you introduce someone to apex

E: im also a gold/plat(4) player but it was unranked