Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I've rewatched some of my favorites from my youth throughout this pandemic and for the most part they hold up as great. But I just rewatched The Mask and it is absolutely terrible. What an awful movie.

Don't watch Ace Ventura, either of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

If anyone wants to watch 2 hours of morally bankrupt idiots doing awful things to each other St. Elmo’s Fire is on Prime.

What an utter shite movie

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Speaking of The Mask reminds me of my first DVDs. I bought a decent Sony DVD player in the early days of DVD for around $200, and it came with four free DVDs:
  • The Mask
  • Analyze This
  • Get Shorty
  • The Jackal
In those days, The Mask was the only one that didn't give me unpleasant vibes. I have no need to see any of those movies ever again, though. The Jackal has some bits that merit a rewatch (or a YouTube highlight reel), like Jack "Bring on the spall" Black getting exploded by a drone rapid-fire sniper rifle, or Sidney Poitier leaping in front of the First Lady to take a bullet.

But yeah in those days I watched those movies a bunch of times, because they were on DVD, man!

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Inspector Hound posted:

In general 90's Jim Carrey is some collective fever dream that doesn't hold up.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I was going to say that The Jackal is worth watching for Brad Pitt’s terrible accent, but then I realize I was confusing it with The Devil’s Own. Not much of a mistake though

In streaming news The Life Aquatic and The Royal Tenenbaums were added to Prime in the US today

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Truman Show and Man on the Moon are still great, but those are admittedly very different roles than his usual 90’s fare.

Although he was also pretty drat bad in the 00’s. Anyone remember The Number 23?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

I rewatched the first one. it's extremely bad.

Dumb and Dumber lives up to it's name, but I think it holds up a lot better than Ace or the Mask. At least some of the jokes are funny and the story is entertaining. The other two are just trash on every level.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

veni veni veni posted:

I've played through Dragon's Dogma twice and I can't think of a single reason to ever watch a series based on it. Like, absolutely none of it's charm comes from the narrative. The story is very much a slam the x button kind of scenario and the world is cool because it just a big D&D ripoff. Watching a show based on it sounds painful.

Trying the first episode now, it is kind of painful. The character art is decent but it has the veneer of cheap computer animation, and everyone moves like they're marionettes. I imagine they're using canned rigging for the most part? Plus the big monsters look like they're from an entirely different even cheaper show and animate at like 15 fewer frames per second than the rest of the show.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Most '90s comedies aged really poorly. They are both extremely juvenile to the point of being a Saturday morning cartoon in all the worst ways possible, and the homophobia and transphobia is ridiculous to the point that even Joe Rogan complains about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFmDuwugiF8

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I still like The Mask. It's so over the top and as far as I remember isn't problematic like Ace Ventura. Granted I was loving obsessed with The Mask as a kid.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
also re: Raised By Wolves, in the first episode I knew it was going to be the fun kind of crazy when they reveal that the remaining humans are crusades-style (or maybe WH40K?) religious zealots.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah early on in a news report they say some of the zombies have retained some memories or instincts, and it's a cool way to add a little extra threat in the back of your mind. Then the fireman zombie that realizes it can scale the building happens.

My favourite thing about the firefighter zombie is that it's not only smart enough to realise that the things that are being thrown at it are just a distraction, it's aware enough to laugh at him.

Also it implies that zombies that can shoot guns are a hypothetical possibility.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Just watched the first 3 episodes of Long Way Up on Apple TV+, and its good but, drat, how often are they going to have to use that diesel generator? Totally defeats the point, but maybe that’s going to be the message at the end, it’s going to take a lot to be ready for electric vehicles?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Just finished "Class Action Park". Was that place really that unlawful or did they exaggerate a bit? How could a place ran solely by teenagers not result in at least hundred deaths per year? I read that there was a million people who came to the park annually.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Glottis posted:

I still like The Mask. It's so over the top and as far as I remember isn't problematic like Ace Ventura. Granted I was loving obsessed with The Mask as a kid.

Peter Greene still freaks me out.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I will stand by The Cable Guy, and I will also cop to still loving The Mask. And Dumb and Dumber. And Batman Forever. And Earth Girls are Easy, but that was the 80s so i feel like it doesn't count,

veni veni veni posted:

I rewatched the first one. it's extremely bad.

Dumb and Dumber lives up to it's name, but I think it holds up a lot better than Ace or the Mask. At least some of the jokes are funny and the story is entertaining. The other two are just trash on every level.

The ending of Ace Ventura sure sneaks up on you if you haven't seen it in a while. I have a pretty believable memory of not understanding it as a kid and my parents not having a great time explaining it to me

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 19, 2020

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Say what you want about Carrey, he was committed to playing a variety of roles.

poo poo, he even played a child murderer in the late 2000's.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Comedy in general doesn’t age particularly well.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

sponges posted:

Comedy in general doesn’t age particularly well.

All genres in general don't age well. I don't know if any genre is worse than another in that respect.

It would be a pretty interesting discussion, imo.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Apparently he is going to be SNL's Joe Biden for this upcoming season. So... there's that.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I gave up on SNL a couple years ago, and I'm not exactly regretting that decision right now.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just finished "Class Action Park". Was that place really that unlawful or did they exaggerate a bit? How could a place ran solely by teenagers not result in at least hundred deaths per year? I read that there was a million people who came to the park annually.

I believe every word of it. I worked at a tourist attraction run almost entirely by teenagers in the early 2000's and that was an insane whirlwind of drinking, drugs, hookups, and crime - I can only imagine how wild poo poo would have been in the 80's.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

I believe every word of it. I worked at a tourist attraction run almost entirely by teenagers in the early 2000's and that was an insane whirlwind of drinking, drugs, hookups, and crime - I can only imagine how wild poo poo would have been in the 80's.

I guess me working at Six Flags was not the average theme park job experience.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
From what I remember from The Dollop episode on it, they usually managed to pull back or just get really lucky when they came up to the edge of causing a lot of actual deaths. But there were supposed to be stories of the local ER just being full of park guests wandering the halls, a lot of them drunk, with bad abrasions, sprangs, dislocations and fractures on every weekend while it was open.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Truman Show is still generally considered to be good, right? Please don't tell me my memories of that being really good are false.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I vaguely remember several goons over the years telling similar stories about Cedar Point amusement par in Ohio

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Cedar_Fair_parks

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

whos that broooown posted:

I gave up on SNL a couple years ago, and I'm not exactly regretting that decision right now.

This is the correct answer

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

SirSamVimes posted:

The Truman Show is still generally considered to be good, right? Please don't tell me my memories of that being really good are false.

I think most people still like that one. I do.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Truman Show is terrific, yes.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Fartington Butts posted:

Apparently he is going to be SNL's Joe Biden for this upcoming season. So... there's that.

It instantly made me think of the deteriorating safety guy he played on in living color, another thing he was great in

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fartington Butts posted:

So is this going to be one of those things where an actor gets paid for a movie or TV show but they recast or drop the character?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

feedmyleg posted:

Truman Show is terrific, yes.

It's the movie that can cause actual mental problems!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Class Action Park also had strong "Back in my day things were wild, kids these days are too coddled and soft :smuggo:." Coming from white middle class 40 year olds who grew up in the suburbs/small towns referring to a generation of mostly brown and black kids growing up in political and environmental hellscape.

I also found it weird that the guy talked about people having to go to therapy due to their experiences in Action Park.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Watching Carroll O'Connor's In The Heat Of The Night as a comedy on Prime is some good times. It's got all the over-the-top performative wokeness the early 90's could muster but it's also stunningly patriarchal in theme and message, the roller coaster tone shifts are just :discourse:

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Class Action Park also had strong "Back in my day things were wild, kids these days are too coddled and soft :smuggo:." Coming from white middle class 40 year olds who grew up in the suburbs/small towns referring to a generation of mostly brown and black kids growing up in political and environmental hellscape.

I also found it weird that the guy talked about people having to go to therapy due to their experiences in Action Park.

He might've been talking about physical therapy.

It was a fun documentary. There were a few people who were very "It was awesome!!! (as long as you didn't get hurt)" but for the most part the talking heads all thought it was dangerous and stupid.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

graventy posted:

He might've been talking about physical therapy.

He specifically said "shrink".

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Glottis posted:

Anyone else watching Raised By Wolves? It's so loving bonkers, I love it.

Yes, its so great. Absolutely bizzare and unpredictable with such a visually design interesting aesthetic.

It also has huge Old Testament parable vibes. Like Earth is the old Assyrian/Near East civilizations and were watching this new world form its own strange mysticism that will one day be passed down as an ancient text of weird mythical stories.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

punk rebel ecks posted:

He specifically said "shrink".

Maybe his muscles got too big and he needed someone to emsmallen them

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

me, after watching the Raised by Wolves trailer: Wow, they sure spoiled a lot of the awesome stuff that's going to happen in this season.

me, after watching Raised by Wolves episode one: Well, I have now seen everything that happened in the trailer and there are still seven episodes left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Raised By Wolves is insane, sometimes in good and sometimes in bad ways