Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Haha, yeah, sure, you play FF Bunny Mahjong for the story, we all believe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

zedprime posted:

Haha, yeah, sure, you play FF Bunny Mahjong for the story, we all believe you.

Hey, hey it's now what you think.

The bunnies were naked before the mahjong ever started.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think Shadowbringers has literally the best video game story I've ever experienced but it definitely ranks. Top ten at least, very likely top five. It might have the best main villain from a video game I've played, period

I wouldn't put them on the same level of villain as, say, Luca Blight or Kefka, but they're definitely among the best video game antagonists I've seen.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bewilderment posted:

14 splits its end-of-expansion optional bosses (regular Raids) into 'normal' for casual people like me not coordinating properly with a party, and 'Savage' for people actually in a proper group. Savage naturally gives better rewards and cosmetics and that's fine, but I'm not a fan of the fact that modern Savage fights don't just include more complex and tighter mechanics, but entire new phases and things you never get to see in the normal mode. The last boss of the current raid tier has three 'costumes' with unique moves, for lack of a better word, and you only get to see two of those in the regular difficulty which I think is a bit of a shame.

My guild is trying to get enough folks together that we can even see NED from Stormblood, let alone beat him. Whole second half of the boss locked to Savage.

E: Stormblood not Shadowbringers. Always mix those names up.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 19, 2020

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

every time someone posts FF14 music is ends up being bad EDM with funny vocals or someone posted a literal live ska performance lol. what aren't I hearing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fact that both the things you just said, are good

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All FF music is listened to with the assumption it’ll be an orchestral, grandiose number. So when it’s not, it’s an extra surprise. In that way, the more outlandish it ends up being like, say, a blaring trumpet that sounds vaguely mariachi-esque, it’s even cooler than the fact that it’s on its face a pretty good song.

And they are also usually presented as an emotive vehicle backed up by an excellent, immersive story with really sympathetic characters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Paperhouse posted:

How does the MMO aspect work if it can feel like you're just playing a single player game? Genuine question, never played it or rewlly any other MMOs beyond a couple of hours in some old, free ones.

I'm not really interested in playing an MMO but I'm interested in playing a good Final Fantasy

You are a solo Warrior of Light with NPC companions of varying levels of coolness, just occasionally some big monster shows up and you happen to have some folks randomly show up to help you beat it and go back to cutscenes.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
So, i got the trial on psn for 14, but theres no trophies showing up, will i get them all retroactivally when/if i buy the full game? Or will the counters be set to zero for the do 1000 of thing, ones? I plan to gently caress around on the ultros server and see if i like it enough to go all in first.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Darth Walrus posted:

OK, basic speculation on the plot from what we saw of the trailer:

The world is arranged into nations which draw their power and authority from elemental crystals, each of which contains an eikon with a human being as its Dominant, or channeler. Our protagonist is working for a small kingdom empowered by a crystal of fire which is preparing to fight a big nasty empire, and is the bodyguard of young Prince Joshua, generally believed to be the Dominant of Phoenix and celebrated for his healing powers. War kicks off, poo poo goes sideways, and the kingdom gets crushed by the empire. Joshua goes berserk from trauma and reveals that oh poo poo, he's not the Dominant of Phoenix but the Dominant of Ifrit. The protagonist, the real Dominant of Phoenix, tries to stop his rampage, but their battle destroys the country. Some years later, the protagonist (now older, grizzled and traumatised) is hunting Dominants as part of what may well be a penal unit, in an attempt to find Joshua and kill him for good. Cue the actual plot kicking off, likely due to his current assassination target, the Dominant of Shiva, reawakening him to the hero he used to be.

i like this idea but i doubt the mc is phoenix, seems more like having those powers in combat is the new job/dmc weapon switch thing rather than being a dominant. Plus the shot of ifrit ripping the poo poo out of something, most likely pheonix... i dont know. I would prefer it if joshua is ifrit tho, way more engaging imo but i think theres alot of trailer magic fuckery going on for maximum speculation until next year

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

grieving for Gandalf posted:

every time someone posts FF14 music is ends up being bad EDM with funny vocals or someone posted a literal live ska performance lol. what aren't I hearing

The wind blowing through your ears.

Bruceski posted:

My guild is trying to get enough folks together that we can even see NED from Shadowbringers, let alone beat him. Whole second half of the boss locked to Savage.

Well yeah. The gear you get from Savage is bascially only good for making farming savage easier and getting a slight boost on day 1 next tier (except not cause it's all outclassed by crafted HQ gear immediately.) so they make cool unique fights juts for the savage lords as rewards for being as savage lord.

And now there's an even bigger more cool tier for Hyper Savage lords with even wackier and more interesting poo poo locked behind being able to actually do it with Ultimate fights.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Here, check these out. I'll include a range of styles and a couple boss themes that I think are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW7b8Mo_SFU

(this next one is an arrangement of the above)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtxR97bgF-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcHjxOKN0Pk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O5-yJjJpZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFqfN-ju1MQ

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

It’d be cool if Pheonix was central to the plot. It’s basically been ignored in the narrative in all the games so far.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

It’d be cool if Pheonix was central to the plot. It’s basically been ignored in the narrative in all the games so far.

I mean it's literally on the cover so it would be extremely strange if it wasn't

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Attitude Indicator posted:

Phoenix is pretty important in XIV, where it saves the world from Bahamut in the transition from 1.0 to A Realm Reborn. It's why it's your ultimate summon as a Summoner in Shadowbringers.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am guessing either that Joshua has two Eikons, phoenix being like a light-aspected one and Ifrit being the dark-aspected one that's unleashed by his rage

That or there's a shadowy immortal being or organization of shadowy immortal beings who have control of the Double Eikons

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Eikons are like digimon right? They'll just bring in digimon eikon fusion to sell more toys.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m just wondering what the mid-game twist that sends the plot off the rails is going to be.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Joshua is Ultimecia

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

stev posted:

People also massively overstate how bad ARR is. It's definitely the low point and there's 20 levels worth of story stretched across 50, but it's still a more coherent and well presented story than any WoW expansion.

Man if you think ARR wasn't total dogshit I can only imagine how awful the other expansions must be.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HD DAD posted:

I’m just wondering what the mid-game twist that sends the plot off the rails is going to be.

you wake up as fat adult haley joel osmet

this is your life. you go to work and listlessly record lines for kxngdom h;ear_ts: teh w0rld ENDSwith u. you think the title is idiotic.

you wish you could be joshua again...

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Given he's got a direct line to Phoenix, I'm gonna go ahead and assume Joshua won't be staying dead

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HD DAD posted:

Joshua is Ajora and FFXVI's real title is Final Fantasy Tactics Zero. The Eikons are actually people drawing on the power of the Lucavi.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I loved the magicite poo poo in FFT. It gives a bit of poetic background to the boss you're about to fight and, importantly, isn't evil-evil, they just enable evil people to do whatever they're looking to do. Ramza collects them all at the end and doesn't do gently caress all with them because, through the power of auto-potion and the fact that he is a mathemagician, he is already invincible and all-powerful.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wouldn't put them on the same level of villain as, say, Luca Blight or Kefka, but they're definitely among the best video game antagonists I've seen.

Having first played ff6 as an adult I really dont get the Kefka love

He's fine

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Neither Luca Blight nor Kefka are compelling characters. They're fun, they create spectacle, but treating them as Great Antagonists is ridiculous rose tinted glasses of childhood in effect.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kefka is the Joker of the FF canon but with less thematic complexity

I can understand the appeal in this era where everyone is becoming Jokerfied

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I like Kefka but I don't think he's some sorta amazingly written villain. He's just good as a chaotic force then anything else.

Sorta the same for Sephiroth cept he was more like an all powerful figure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kefka just looks amazing. We need more insanely flamboyant villains.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Everyone knows the most compelling FF villain is Exdeath, an evil tree who became sentient and turned into a wizard

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The best thing Kefka going for him is his boss theme, Uematsu did a great job with that one. Baroque music and heavy metal on a SNES sound chip, somehow it all works.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

On a side note the older MC in XVI needs to be older. Like dad older, make more old MCs you cowards.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I replayed FFX this year and remembered that grey, grizzled, world-weary Auron is 35 years old aka my age.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I replayed FFX this year and remembered that grey, grizzled, world-weary Auron is 35 years old aka my age.

lol yeah i booted up the remaster back in lockdown and had the same exact reaction.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

FFX had a great villain.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

FFX had a great villain.

Old gerontocratic men who refuse to die? Indeed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yu Yevon isn't really a character but his story is fascinating

Seymour is fine I guess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Same as old-rear end Dad figure Thancred in FF14... ?!

cheetah7071 posted:

Yu Yevon isn't really a character but his story is fascinating

Seymour is fine I guess

I watched a streamer play FFX this year and after she pointed out Seymour has Dadbod, I can't unsee it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Same as old-rear end Dad figure Thancred in FF14... ?!

I watched a streamer play FFX this year and after she pointed out Seymour has Dadbod, I can't unsee it

His outfit has a gut window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

it's supposed to be billowing robes but from the first time I saw him I've never seen anything other than a big fat beer gut

it seemed appropriate with him being a theocrat and continuously creeping on yuna, anyway