Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

havent played it ever. its gonna be sick

oh man buckle up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

HolePisser1982 posted:

havent played it ever. its gonna be sick

This is how I feel about 64

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremely pumped for all the imps playing these for the first time

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Haven't played Sunshine or Galaxy in probably 10 years so I'm very excited to revisit

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I'm ready to face the 120 star challenge once again three years later.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
The 100-Coin Diaries... Continued...

I did 4 more 100-coin stars ln while watching Nostalgia Critic's The Wall on loop.

🐧Cool, Cool Mountain⛄ - This one is all about the slide. There are tons of coins on it, but of course you can fall off and die, and rage. Then your @$$ has a Salty Runback in store.... So slide first is a must imo. You can go slow on it at least, and focus on the coins. BUt sometimes you have to go fast.

[Skipped Big Boo's Haunt, Im saving it for stream bc it's my favorite level]

Hazy Maze Cave☢ - I was terrified of getting this star as a kid due to fear of the hazy maze. The blue coin block in the maze is required to get past 100, and it's kind of hard to tell where the coins go (they go to the 'secret exit' door from the maze). So i think it's best to go straight to the maze, pick up the blue coins (i think 2 or 3 of them is enough, but you can get a ton if you get them all), and then you can clean up the maze/horizontal lift/elevator side of the map, then finally go to Dory's lake and get the coins there. There arent that many around Dory, plus it's hard to get from that section back to the other side of the level. Even as an adult i went kinda crazy in that maze lol it's cramped and kinda stressful.. But yea pretty much the only thing that matters in there is the blue coins.

Lethal Lava Land 🔥- Another level that scared me a lot as a kid lol. But the 100 coins on this one is kind of epic because it's all about surfing on the koopa shell. The strat is to ride the shell and try to cover basically all of the above-ground map (except the rolling log area, no coins there). If you fall off the shell its best to just restart imo. As far as I know, it's not possible to leave the volcano once you go inside..? It baaarely has any coins inside too. So yea the 100 coins are getting tough at this pt, even tho this one is pretty fun; its pretty easy to fall off the shell into the lava, and then inside the volcano you have to climb to the top. I felt like I got pretty much every coin in the level by the time I was done.

Shifting Sand Land - This level is awesome but tbh it's pretty intimidating for a 100-coiner.. It also has a koopa shell, so especially right after the last one, my impulse is to just ride that shell around and pick up quick coins everywhere. It doesnt rly seem to work very well though.. Going through the dark sand area with the rolling blocks is super super deadly cause the camera cant really keep up w you and there are tons of little edges you can hit. Plus there are little ridges in the sand that are hard to see from a distance but can knock you off your shell into instant-death quicksand in a split second. So unfortunately slow and steady was the move for me here.. 8 red coins are kind of a pain bc theyre mostly spread out across dangerous spaces, plus there are a couple you have to fly around to get, which can be tricky to get exactly because theyre 2d sprites floating in the 3d sky. Like Lethal Lava Land, this level has that separate pyramid area that I don't know if/how you can leave once you go inside. I'm pretty sure I got literally every single coin on the map before I went into the pyramid. Inside, there's a blue coin switch, but when I hit it i could not find a single one of the blue coins at all and totally whiffed it lol. Now that i think about it, i feel like i have a memory from my Epic 90s Childhood that the blue coins spawn over dangerous quicksand in the center of hte bottom floor or something? But idk. So i kinda panicked when I missed them bc this had been a perfect run so far, and it takes a long time, and I had already died a lot lol. I climbed to the very very top of the pyramid and just barely got 100, so luckily it is doable without the blue coins, but juuuust barely!! Dang. WHat an adventure in the desert. 🏜🏝🌵

Thats all the levels I got to on stream, except Dire, Dire Docks, which I barely started. So the rest will come later. Still, it was definitely a huge accomplishment for me. Of course, going forward, the levels will be getting harder from a gameplay perspective, but this set of basement levels included the ones that scared me most as a kid by far. Tiny-Huge Island and Rainbow Ride will definitely be super hard you know I am ready for the challene though!!! 💯

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
thinking about buying the digital version while i wait for the copy i ordered off amazon to arrive :f5:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Fungah! posted:

unfun thigs in sunshine:

1) blue coins
2) electric manta
3) the poison flowers
4)

Anything that explicitly requires yoshi kinda sucks imo.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

HolePisser1982 posted:

it’s like christmas levels of joy having multiple mario games to dive into. i havent played Galaxy yet but i’m beyond stoked, though i might save it for last, we’ll see

Did you play galaxy 2? or did you not since you hadn't played galaxy yet.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Leadthumb posted:

Did you play galaxy 2? or did you not since you hadn't played galaxy yet.

Naw, never had a gamecube or a wii. I’ll be there day one if/when it gets rereleased tho

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

HolePisser1982 posted:

Naw, never had a gamecube or a wii. I’ll be there day one if/when it gets rereleased tho

Highly recommend dolphin emu for Gamecube games

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

HolePisser1982 posted:

Going into galaxy completely fresh and still having the second one to look forward to rules really hard.

I don't remember how important the wiimote shooting is, but I'm assuming they made it work fine.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

a Loving Dog posted:

Highly recommend dolphin emu for Gamecube games

Only registered members can see post attachments!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the last mario I played was kart on the 64 lol idk why I never got real mario on it

I just started odyssey and I love it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

my morning jackass posted:

Anything that explicitly requires yoshi kinda sucks imo.

disagree but a chacun son gout

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1307475845032947713

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

omg.....metroid prime someday and u will be in gaming heaven

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

scary ghost dog posted:

omg.....metroid prime someday and u will be in gaming heaven

god theres so many good gamecube games what a lucky bastard

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
day 3 of the most epic gamer weekend. played the sunshine soundtrack while making my coffee and got a solid sesh of mario 64 in. cleared whomp’s fortress and loved it. ate infinite poo poo in the penguin race falling off the hairpin turn over and over, but won on my last life, making it feel wven more dramatic. just having a blast with everything, it all rules

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

HolePisser1982 posted:

day 3 of the most epic gamer weekend. played the sunshine soundtrack while making my coffee and got a solid sesh of mario 64 in. cleared whomp’s fortress and loved it. ate infinite poo poo in the penguin race falling off the hairpin turn over and over, but won on my last life, making it feel wven more dramatic. just having a blast with everything, it all rules

Nice, my first race against the penguin was so bad I was legit surprised I beat him on try 2. And then I spent an hour trying to put the snowman together

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
up to the third floor on 64, about to get my rear end kicked because I played these levels the least. dire dire docks didn't gently caress around with the 100 coins star

only cowards use the crawl move to cross narrow platforms

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Could budget for it so picked up all stars on the Eshop and have tomorrow off so gonna start tonight or in the morning. Excited to try 64

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

Could budget for it so picked up all stars on the Eshop and have tomorrow off so gonna start tonight or in the morning. Excited to try 64

:cheers:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Galaxy looks spectacular in HD

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Galaxy looks spectacular in HD

its true, the dolphin emulator turley is the best way to experience gamecube and wii games. well maybe the second best after hacking your wii u

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/rihanna/status/488434293996552192?s=20

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did the king bomb painting. Threw him off a cliff and he just floated back up but then thee him on the ground and he got obliterated lol. Camera is weird but other than that lots of fun. Oh and I wish I could disable A for jump so I stop leaping around signs

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
loving mario galaxy 2 for the most part but the fuckin bird sections are super bad and annoying. hope there's not more than 2 in the game

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
i’ve been getting like unreasonably excited playing sunshine. got a little lightheaded after an epic first shine on noki bay, lol, and every fluddless challenge level basically has me going nuts with stress and joy. thank god for mario

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mycophobia posted:

loving mario galaxy 2 for the most part but the fuckin bird sections are super bad and annoying. hope there's not more than 2 in the game

There's 2 in the game.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Gettin up there, FTW. :haibrow: Stream some more ln and got the Big Boo's Haunt 100-coin star, which was a blast. I moved on through the regular stars up through Tall, Tall Mountain.

In the course of doing a normal star for 🧱Wet-Dry World🏙 , I got 80-some coins. I decided it was best to just go for 100, so I went down to the beloved hidden city area and got everything else I needed, got the 100-coin star, then swam back out to get my normal star in the main area. Such a cool level!

6 100-coin stars remain... I still fear those last few levels hehe. But at 93 stars now, I am feeling powerful, and ready to give it my best.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

There's 2 in the game.

cool. i mean the stars by themselves weren't too bad but getting the comet token thing was really pissing me off

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Skylark posted:

Gettin up there, FTW. :haibrow: Stream some more ln and got the Big Boo's Haunt 100-coin star, which was a blast. I moved on through the regular stars up through Tall, Tall Mountain.

In the course of doing a normal star for 🧱Wet-Dry World🏙 , I got 80-some coins. I decided it was best to just go for 100, so I went down to the beloved hidden city area and got everything else I needed, got the 100-coin star, then swam back out to get my normal star in the main area. Such a cool level!

6 100-coin stars remain... I still fear those last few levels hehe. But at 93 stars now, I am feeling powerful, and ready to give it my best.

the 100 coin diaries rule

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dire Dire Docks 100 coin is a real doozy. Good luck goon.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

American McGay posted:

Dire Dire Docks 100 coin is a real doozy. Good luck goon.

😨

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
M Night Shyamalans ‘Split’ but it’s 64’s castle theme, cool cool mountain theme, sunshine’s ricco harbor and plaza themes, all fighting to surface and take control of me

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
locked in glorious battle with the noki bay challenge shine. figured out enough 1-up mushroom spots to be self-sustaining, but still not dialed in enough to make the final stretch. gotta start bowing on respawn with the left trigger, it’s awesome

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm playing Odyssey now, which is my first Super MArio Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
omg in smg2 throwback galaxy!! loved it