Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Robindaybird posted:

It really was a spooky end that belongs in a much better film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwVogZQtjI4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
My sister tried to take away my VCR privileges once, because I kept rewinding and replaying a specific verse from the junk shop song.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

also what the gently caress is a Thanksgiving hat that one girl wished for in the beginning?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

fauna posted:

that was poor phrasing on my part actually, kids do watch the same movie over and over, just they usually prefer to choose what movie that is

I drove my mom nuts taking her to the theater to see Land Before Time over and over. Then eventually, I discovered that movies eventually left the theaters they were showing in, and that Land Before Time had been replaced by Back to the Future III. And that's the story of how I came to love Back to the Future.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That guy's dad clearly just loves dinosaurs and, honestly? That's rad.

My dad loved cheap whiskey and football. I'd trade in a heartbeat.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
his true loves are zombies and aliens, but there weren't many age-appropriate zombie movies around in the early 90s and trying to watch mars attacks with me just ended in tragedy

my children will have three movie options: wizards, the first pokemon movie, and yellow submarine

fauna fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 17, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
yellow submarine and watership down were my "over and over" movies

oh and aristocats lol

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I audibly sighed when I read this.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nearly-onethird-of-us-households-purchased-mulan-on-disney-for-30-fee-data-221410961.html

Mulan, despite the outrage over it, has done VERY well for Disney.

Paraphrasing from the link:

29% of US households that have Disney+ purchased it through September 12th which surpassed all over titles on the platform (even though there's no additional cost to them).

Currently, Disney+ has over 60 million global subscribers. Assuming that the Us makes up 50% of that, then roughly 9 million people bought Mulan (29% of the estimated 30 million). At $30 for each person, Disney's made about $261,000,000 just to be conservative about it. And they get to keep all of it and not share it with theaters.

Downloads of Disney+ spiked 68% from Friday (Sep 4) through Sunday (Sep 6) compared to the previous weekend. Spending in the app spiked 193% (this might be attributed to people buying Mulan for that one-time $30 fee).

Disney hasn't provided any official numbers but last Wednesday, their CFO Christine McCarthy says they're very pleased with what they've seen so far.

There's a very, very high chance that Soul and Black Widow will be D+ only now.

TL,DR: Mulan is doing incredibly well. No one cares about the racism or the poo poo story or fight scenes. Live action remakes will definitely live on probably forever. Soul (and Black Widow) will probably be D+ only because they got a lot of money.

I don't know why but I'm very disappointed right now but I also don't know what I expected since every single live action Disney remake has made shitloads of money no matter how much people complain. It's probably due to the complaints.

And the fact that it's Disney.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

I audibly sighed when I read this.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nearly-onethird-of-us-households-purchased-mulan-on-disney-for-30-fee-data-221410961.html

Mulan, despite the outrage over it, has done VERY well for Disney.

Paraphrasing from the link:

29% of US households that have Disney+ purchased it through September 12th which surpassed all over titles on the platform (even though there's no additional cost to them).

Currently, Disney+ has over 60 million global subscribers. Assuming that the Us makes up 50% of that, then roughly 9 million people bought Mulan (29% of the estimated 30 million). At $30 for each person, Disney's made about $261,000,000 just to be conservative about it. And they get to keep all of it and not share it with theaters.

Downloads of Disney+ spiked 68% from Friday (Sep 4) through Sunday (Sep 6) compared to the previous weekend. Spending in the app spiked 193% (this might be attributed to people buying Mulan for that one-time $30 fee).

Disney hasn't provided any official numbers but last Wednesday, their CFO Christine McCarthy says they're very pleased with what they've seen so far.

There's a very, very high chance that Soul and Black Widow will be D+ only now.

TL,DR: Mulan is doing incredibly well. No one cares about the racism or the poo poo story or fight scenes. Live action remakes will definitely live on probably forever. Soul (and Black Widow) will probably be D+ only because they got a lot of money.

I don't know why but I'm very disappointed right now but I also don't know what I expected since every single live action Disney remake has made shitloads of money no matter how much people complain. It's probably due to the complaints.

And the fact that it's Disney.

We never had any chance against Disney's massive qi.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well I’m happy I’ll probably get to see black widow and soul now without risking my life (not gonna pay $30 for them though lol)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Well I’m happy I’ll probably get to see black widow and soul now without risking my life (not gonna pay $30 for them though lol)

It'll probably be out a few months after launch for free just like Mulan will in December for all who already have D+.

Darth TNT posted:

We never had any chance against Disney's massive qi.

But only boy corporations have qi.

(it makes just as much sense as "only men have qi" so I'm rolling with it)

EDIT: Just got sent a conspiracy theory link by a friend who is 100% believing that Mulan doing well is "100% the fault of the Chinese government to spread pro-Chinese propaganda"...by getting their own history wrong and being racist to it's own people??

I don't understand conspiracy theories. Or my friends.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 17, 2020

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
if you change two letters in 'mulan' you get 'wuhan'!!! coincidence??? i think not!!!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

No one cares about the racism or the poo poo story or fight scenes.

I mean...I would imagine a very significant portion of those who bought it were parents who did so for their children to give them something to do during all of this. The kids aren't going to know or care about any of the racism or anything, and the parents probably aren't even going to watch it more than peripherally.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

It'll probably be out a few months after launch for free just like Mulan will in December for all who already have D+.

But only boy corporations have qi.

(it makes just as much sense as "only men have qi" so I'm rolling with it)

EDIT: Just got sent a conspiracy theory link by a friend who is 100% believing that Mulan doing well is "100% the fault of the Chinese government to spread pro-Chinese propaganda"...by getting their own history wrong and being racist to it's own people??

I don't understand conspiracy theories. Or my friends.

Well, I'm not Asian so I'm no expert, but maybe boys don't have qi and they get it during puberty? So only men can have it.

Also, I'm sorry you need new friends.

ungulateman posted:

if you change two letters in 'mulan' you get 'wuhan'!!! coincidence??? i think not!!!
:trumppop:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

god drat it
god drat it

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Facebook had a solid ad recommendation for me that was a realistic black cat mask and gloves for like $60US. I can't find the add but for some reason I figured this thread would know where to source it.

I want to go as Mae from NitW for Halloween and that would be perfect.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

This is how a boomer responded to me on a post I made about the problems of Mulan

quote:

It's ok.... I enjoy it. She is good looking and pretty. A good actress. We all know the storyline, so what give?

So p much that a large set of people are ok with what they perceive as an adequately entertaining flick with an easy to follow storyline, despite all its problems. Disney will likely learn the lesson that putting family targeted stuff on D+ as a timed exclusive makes money, especially at a time where a lot of families are stuck at home.

Well at least they didn't learn the lesson that "making movies featuring minorities is a bad investment" 🤷‍♂️ because that was what I expected if the movie got into the list of 2020's top 10 bombs

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Robindaybird posted:

I will go to bat for Speed Racer, it does exactly how you should adapt a ridiculous anime about a specific subject: You go loving over the top and make it pop.

I watched Speed Racer because of this post, and it was an absolutely fantastic movie

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 18, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sony's Connected (formerly The Mitchells vs The Machines) has been delayed indefinitely and will not release on Oct 23rd.

https://screenrant.com/connected-movie-phil-lord-chris-miller-release-delay/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Speed Racer the show isn't even that weird compared to like, Jonny Quest and basically standard kids cartoons, but that's more that those shows do have so much genuine weird poo poo.

It definitely takes a lot more inspiration from racing video games, complete with Mario Kart/Rollcage inspired tracks, and even an actual racing ghost record.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I only know of Jonny Quest second-hand through the Venture Bros, which had the rights to the characters before they changed the names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHJK2CSz6Q

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the 90s Johnny Quest actually did some neat things until they changed production teams, who then proceeded to kick the sole girl off and killed or neutered many of the new villains to make it fall more in line with the 60s version.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Speed Racer kills a surprising number of his foes. Like the opening credit song saying hes a demon on wheels is 100% accurate and not in a speed sense. Its also the thing the film nails that speeds true love isn't racing, its vehicular manslaughter*.

*The fact the film sets up and paysback this revelation with the gravitas and unexpected foreshadowing of who is Keyser Soze is a loving triumph of cinematic story telling and the editing in Speed Racer is 100% unmatched

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 19, 2020

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I mean he has buzzsaws in his car

https://twitter.com/NoContextMach5/status/1294702464088719362

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I feel like this is a good time to post the classic youtube clip "proof that Speed racer is a sociopath": https://youtu.be/WC0YAJR6xQQ

This isn't an edit or anything, this was a real scene from the show.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I feel like this is a good time to post the classic youtube clip "proof that Speed racer is a sociopath": https://youtu.be/WC0YAJR6xQQ

This isn't an edit or anything, this was a real scene from the show.

I wonder what the original dialogue was in Japanese.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lee Issac Chung will direct Your Name's live action movie.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/lee-isaac-chung-paramount-and-bad-robot-your-name-1234579603/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I rewatched the original "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" on Disney plus recently, as it was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I had never realized there's no real narrative to the whole thing, just low key vignettes that end with a bittersweet segment where Christopher Robin goes off the school, signifying he may never see these characters again and is forgoing the imaginary life of a child to join regimented society.

Apparently the film was made out of combining a number of shorts they had created with the characters, which makes sense. It feels like if it was devised as a feature in the first place they would have felt there needed to be an ongoing plot.

Now I'm wondering if I should watch the 2011 film that was Disney's last foray into traditional animation.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Ccs posted:

Now I'm wondering if I should watch the 2011 film that was Disney's last foray into traditional animation.

yeah its good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3RoRBOK8-4

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tom Kenny's voice acting has turned into "Spongebob" and "Tom Kenny".

It's very distracting.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Rabbit is the MVP of the 2011 film

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

Rabbit is the MVP of the 2011 film

still in shell shock that rabbit is male. i definitely thought as a kid that Rabbit was female.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
They’re all non-binary

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Tom Kenny's voice acting has turned into "Spongebob" and "Tom Kenny".

It's very distracting.

He reprised the Penguin for the Batman/TMNT movie, was fun

Ccs posted:

I rewatched the original "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" on Disney plus recently, as it was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I had never realized there's no real narrative to the whole thing, just low key vignettes that end with a bittersweet segment where Christopher Robin goes off the school, signifying he may never see these characters again and is forgoing the imaginary life of a child to join regimented society.

Apparently the film was made out of combining a number of shorts they had created with the characters, which makes sense. It feels like if it was devised as a feature in the first place they would have felt there needed to be an ongoing plot.

I used to watch the cartoon that accompanied that and it has a special that's actually interesting, The Search for Christopher Robin, that DOES have enough of a plot to have spoilers

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I used to watch the cartoon that accompanied that and it has a special that's actually interesting, The Search for Christopher Robin, that DOES have enough of a plot to have spoilers

That was another of my favourites as a kid. I was surprised to see that it’s almost universally reviled by people who review Disney sequels. It probably wouldn’t hold up on a rewatch as the tone is quite different from the source material, but I think it’s great for the target age group. Some really nice animation from TMS in Japan too.

It’s a bit overwhelming to see the entire New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh on Disney plus. As a kid those things came 3 episodes to a vhs and the video rental store only had a few of them, which I watched over and over again (I suppose they were also broadcast on tv but I didn’t have cable). Now I could actually watch them all online a click away but I’m too old to enjoy them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At least you have all the episodes available. There's a really good cartoon that I loved and that's held up surprisingly well, Captain Zed and the Zee Zone about dream cops protecting children from nightmares, but only about a third of the episodes survived time and are on youtube in a watchable (although very poor due to vhs transfers) state. The other episodes exist but have white noise so bad the actual sound is inaudible.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

I wonder what the original dialogue was in Japanese.

Speaking of which, did Speed Racer ever get subbed by anyone (be it officially or otherwise) and were any of the show's tropes such as the repetitive narration still present in the Japanese version?

Also for that matter, aside from everyone talking a mile a minute so they could match the lip flaps how was the American dub as an adaption (I think I only saw like an episode or two as a kid)?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

From a brief foray of searching years ago, the dub of Speed Racer is mildly drier than the original Japanese but it was an old serial show so the repeating stuff is just how it was written.

Ultimately anyway you slice it this is a show where multiple two parters are Speed Racer defeating coup plots and terrorist groups by hitting them really hard with a car

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Barudak posted:

From a brief foray of searching years ago, the dub of Speed Racer is mildly drier than the original Japanese but it was an old serial show so the repeating stuff is just how it was written.

Ultimately anyway you slice it this is a show where multiple two parters are Speed Racer defeating coup plots and terrorist groups by hitting them really hard with a car

Does the show still hold up? I was thinking I might finally check it out one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Larryb posted:

Does the show still hold up? I was thinking I might finally check it out one day.

Depends on your tolerance for cheese, though there's a few segments that are kind of yikes due to the stereotypes used.