Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dragonatrix posted:

Just finished The Crossing and... holy poo poo, that ending. :stare:

And if you'd been watching it in regular network TV back in 2013, you'd have had to wait a whole week for The Devil's Share, which begins like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD8qvpMw8Vw

God. drat. I love that opening. No dialogue. No dialogue needed.

Even if you've never watched a single episode of PoI, you know exactly what's going on even if you can't put names to faces yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
And that's season 3 wrapped up now. Season 1 was definitely rough, 2 was a solid procedural season with an intriguing through-line and solid new characters and then 3 started pretty strong, then hit Endgame and it was like non-stop :tviv: like at least once every episode from there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People seem to be watching at their own pace anyway so I say we're just gonna continue into next month and see how far people are by then.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

After how amazingly good season 3 was, I wasn't really all that impressed with season 4 or most of season 5 so far in comparison. They were good and all, but season 3's entire second half seemed like it was gonna be the high point.

Or so I thought until I hit The Day The World Went Away.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

And so, season 5 and thus all of Person of Interest is now complete.

What a fantastic show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

On one hand I should be mad at lazy writing, but on the other I love how the logic for (final episode spoilers) the Machine beating Samaritan despite never being able to do so before was "well those were simulations, if I fail this time I'll lose for real so I guess I better win!"

Somehow it was the most "human" thing I can think of that the Machine ever did, exactly the kind of wonderful bullshit that Finch or Reese might have pulled. Well, that of course but also this from the end of season 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3o5lOCVuuM

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Haven’t got there but I hope that one of the cast feels down in the last episode and then the machine or Finch, in order to comfort them,says “ You were always a Person of Interest.... to me “ or something similar. End scene.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean, not far from it.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

On one hand I should be mad at lazy writing, but on the other I love how the logic for (final episode spoilers) the Machine beating Samaritan despite never being able to do so before was "well those were simulations, if I fail this time I'll lose for real so I guess I better win!"

Somehow it was the most "human" thing I can think of that the Machine ever did, exactly the kind of wonderful bullshit that Finch or Reese might have pulled. Well, that of course but also this from the end of season 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3o5lOCVuuM

My impression was also that in the simulations the Machine and Samaritan were fighting on somewhat equal footing, whereas in the actual fight, the Machine was already in the satellite when Samaritan tried to upload itself and had the advantage.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you're still watching, be warned that this is leaving Netflix on September 21.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

We haven’t got much discussion in this thread but thank you for introducing the show to me. It’s been very entertaining.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Arist posted:

If you're still watching, be warned that this is leaving Netflix on September 21.

Well crap, just started this a couple of days ago and it wasn't really grabbing me so I figured I'd come back to it later. I'm up to S01E10 and it's just a bit meh, from reading comments here it seems season 1 is just kinda like that? Does some storyline develop at some point here or not really until season 2?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It definitely picks up in Season 2.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, it is very much standard cop procedural "every week is a new case that gets solved by the end" network fare for the first season, then they start delving deeper into themes and longer term storytelling and character development and it REALLY picks up. It never entirely loses its "case of the week" origins, but they no longer dominate like they do in season 1.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ok I apparently had only seen up to season 1 ep 9, ep 10 seems to have been a bit of a turning point. Gonna give it a handful more eps though now I'm not sure I could get through the whole thing by September 21.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Continuing with season 1 and I just got the this baby episode and uhhhh this is just a bit too silly

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've prepared a new thread for the next show we'll be covering. You are free to continue posting in this one if you want to talk about PoI :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937862

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

People keep praising this show, so I tried to watch the first episode a while ago... and it was not very good. Often first episodes are very rough, so is this the case with PoI as well?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

People keep praising this show, so I tried to watch the first episode a while ago... and it was not very good. Often first episodes are very rough, so is this the case with PoI as well?

It starts out as a basic "case of the week" procedural. If you can last until episode 7, you should see the potential in where the show is going and what it's becoming. By the Season 1 midpoint, you'll be much more on board as the pieces start coming together. If you are patient enough to make it to the end of Season 1, you'll be in it for the long haul.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I would say it took until season 1 ep 10 for me to really get into it a bit, the first season was pretty slow. I'm almost halfway through season 2 now and it's a bit more fun but still very procedural. Also I went back and read some of the discussion in the thread now that I was pretty sure I wouldn't get spoiled, and seeing that Jonathan Nolan is Chris Nolan's brother and that the general idea of the show was Batman & Alfred except they help ordinary people made it click for me too. Now I just wish they'd give Jim Caviezel something to do other than talk all gravely and beat people up.

Edit: just watched some videos of Caviezel doing interviews and I guess that's just his normal speaking voice. Also reading up on him is a bit uh :yikes:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 26, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They let Caviezel have more fun with it, and he does loosen up a bit more....he is always sort of that guy though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alright just finished season 2, if all of season 3 could be like those last two eps then I'll understand the praise for this show. Reese continues to be a charisma black hole though, it's like Caviezel is half asleep while reading lines most of the time. He's got two facial expressions at most and has chemistry with maybe just the dog? The more I watch this the less I like him.

And now to start season 3.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wrong thread

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Season 3 is pretty, pretty good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Season 3 is pretty, pretty good.

Be on the lookout for Leslie Odom Jr., who would later win a Tony for being so awesome playing Aaron Burr in Hamilton. He would have killed if PoI did a musical episode.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I feel like I'm taking up most of this page with my posts but I'm not gonna stop

On season 4 now and I think Detective Forge is my new favorite character

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

With two days to spare I did it, I finished PoI. Here are my thoughts:

-Michael Emerson is just the best
-I really kind of actively disliked this show for the first two seasons, and likely would have given up on it if not for knowing how much praise I've read about it from goons over the years. But as soon as they (season 3 spoilers) killed off Carter and finished the HR storyline everything improved dramatically to the point where I'm gonna need to see if they switched writers or show runners or something. Hell I even started to think Caviezel actually did have some range after that
-Still think Caviezel is easily the worst cast person on the show. There's understated performances and then there's just being wooden.
-Season 4 was my favorite, If-Then-Else and Terra Incognita were loving great
-I loved the little end of series reveal that there's been other groups of people (backed by billionaire tech geniuses, natch) getting numbers from the machine
-I thought for sure they'd reveal Finch's last name eventually
-I assume from the abbreviated last season they got cancelled. Was it a ratings thing?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sirotan posted:

With two days to spare I did it, I finished PoI. Here are my thoughts:

-Michael Emerson is just the best
-I really kind of actively disliked this show for the first two seasons, and likely would have given up on it if not for knowing how much praise I've read about it from goons over the years. But as soon as they (season 3 spoilers) killed off Carter and finished the HR storyline everything improved dramatically to the point where I'm gonna need to see if they switched writers or show runners or something. Hell I even started to think Caviezel actually did have some range after that
-Still think Caviezel is easily the worst cast person on the show. There's understated performances and then there's just being wooden.
-Season 4 was my favorite, If-Then-Else and Terra Incognita were loving great
-I loved the little end of series reveal that there's been other groups of people (backed by billionaire tech geniuses, natch) getting numbers from the machine
-I thought for sure they'd reveal Finch's last name eventually
-I assume from the abbreviated last season they got cancelled. Was it a ratings thing?

They were given a final season, which is basically just getting cancelled with advance notice and letting you wrap up on your way out the door. The plan was for six full seasons IIRC.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
I only just now found this thread.

On the advice of some friends, a couple of them goons, I started this show back in April. A few episodes a week. I only just now finished it today, trying to get under the wire of it leaving Netflix. With 5x12 and 5x13.

This was a really great show that understood its characters very well, was incredibly subversive for a network show, and way ahead of some of the ideas that were coming into the public consciousness soon after. The proceduralish seasons were very good, mostly on the strength of Michael Emerson and some great guest actors. Taraji P Henson gets better as the show goes on, and Caviezel actually fits just fine as an out-of-place Eastwood-style action hero type in a show where that doesn't quite work all the time. Chapman, Shahi, and Acker are all awesome. The guest actors and POIs are almost all awesome too.

When the show goes full on cyberpunk it gets even better. It's been a while since I had a show that I had to stop and think "wtf" even when I 100% understood what was going on.

I wish I had found it sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
With the show leaving Netflix, I'm so happy this thread existed and more people were able to get into it and binge it while they could. My wife and I discovered it a few years ago and binged the first four seasons in time to watch the final season live as it aired. It was an awesome ride, and I place it in the pantheon of really great niche shows that most people still don't know about -- not the Wire/Breaking Bad/Deadwood/Lost/Twin Peaks tier, but a tier with other cult favorites and underappreciated gems like Fringe, Banshee, Hannibal, Halt and Catch Fire, iZombie, and Prison Break.