Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So wait this is pre-cheating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

*Mookie voice* Proper women should be waiting on the sidelines sighing wistfully wishing they were useful to men... but wait... she has a man's blessing to come over and do her job! Her dream came true! I'm a feminist. :)

I know she was unconscious when he said he was resistant to magic, but have the nurse show some agency when seeing a heavily wounded person, instead of her standing back while the non-healer Rachel rushes to him with Greg instead.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

FlocksOfMice posted:

That's the biggest thign that stands out to me. Their victory is never that they're actually SMARTER. They never do anything more CLEVER> It's like deegan beating the demon in the mindspace by going "MY MIND IS STRONGER: MIND LASER SUPREME BLAST! KABLAMMO" "OOoooh no dominic you're so smart that i just explode!"

They rarely have some kind of actually clever plan, especially never a plan that is clever that doesn't rely on them automatically knowing everything ahead of time.

Having a magic system that’s written on the fly brings up obvious issues like “Why didn’t Greg give himself, Garrit and Pam shields in the first place?” There’s no theoretical limit on what they can do or how often they can do it, which is just how Mookie likes it. Cause thinking about your story is hard.

Marin Karin posted:

*Mookie voice* Proper women should be waiting on the sidelines sighing wistfully wishing they were useful to men... but wait... she has a man's blessing to come over and do her job! Her dream came true! I'm a feminist. :)

I know she was unconscious when he said he was resistant to magic, but have the nurse show some agency when seeing a heavily wounded person, instead of her standing back while the non-healer Rachel rushes to him with Greg instead.

Funny enough she did exactly that the second she saw Brett’s hand, It’s like just being in proximity of Greg makes her his lesser. There’s always gotta be some power the Deegan men have over their momwives.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TheHan posted:

Having a magic system that’s written on the fly brings up obvious issues like “Why didn’t Greg give himself, Garrit and Pam shields in the first place?” There’s no theoretical limit on what they can do or how often they can do it, which is just how Mookie likes it. Cause thinking about your story is hard.

Mookie must have been insufferable to his DM. "What do you meeeean I can only cast these spells?! This is supposed to be a game of imagination, maaan!"

Imagine if someone had introduced him to Mage: the Ascension...

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Kavak posted:

Yep! You really aren't gonna like it post-cheating.

TheHan posted:

pictured: Mookie

quote:

Funny enough she did exactly that the second she saw Brett’s hand, It’s like just being in proximity of Greg makes her his lesser. There’s always gotta be some power the Deegan men have over their momwives.
Mookies and lesser Mookies exude a intoxicating, mildly poisonous gas when they are surrounded by non-Mookies that attacks the body's agency cells.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I see. Mookie can write "Fag" over and over and over, but god forbid one of his characters says "poo poo" or "Bitch" (as in "Son of a bitch")

MAKES SENSE

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm still astonished at how it got so gross, so fast. I don't think my "loving yikes" can get big enough for this.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

catlord posted:

I'm still astonished at how it got so gross, so fast. I don't think my "loving yikes" can get big enough for this.

OH JUST YOU WAIT

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Miss posted:

I see. Mookie can write "Fag" over and over and over, but god forbid one of his characters says "poo poo" or "Bitch" (as in "Son of a bitch")

MAKES SENSE

This is also a fantasy setting, right? But he uses that real world slur over and over again instead of something made up or more befitting a fantasy world.

Though I guess we saw his talent at making up slurs in Star Power. I think he just really gets off on being able to say those words under the guise of "oh bad characters are saying it, not me!"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I always knew DD was terrible and I caught the last few mock threads and sort of knew the highlights of some of the more infamous moments and such but uhhhhhh reading all this, but specifically this last chapter is just going "oh wow ... OH WOW" like hot drat this is way worse than I thought it was to begin with.

catlord posted:

hard agree on this one!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Invisible Clergy posted:

I mean there area number of athletes that are famous for being murderers, so there isn't anything too unrealistic about that aspect of it. This is still terrible writing since he's doing this to some random person he met like 30 seconds ago.

Yeah, my point is more that these events so quickly and with so little forethought that it's impossible to believe Brett would still be a hero/even allowed to play, given that the mere threat of involving the law was enough to get him to stop earlier. If the idea is that sports stars get away with whatever they want, then he should have laughed at Greg and beaten him up anyway.

skeleton warrior posted:

I once read someone reference nerd culture as being just as full of toxic masculinity as “normie” culture; it’s just that where mainstream culture (especially of the 80s and 90s that Mookie grew up in) believed in a “warrior king” ideal, nerd culture believed in a “philosopher king” ideal - one that revered knowledge, especially esoteric knowledge, instead of force and physical prowess, and pretended to revere women for their minds and ideas rather than for their bodies. But at its core, both were still steeped in misogyny that saw women as trophies to be won by men who adhered to those ideals and not as people in their own right. Mookie is absolutely wrapped in that nerd toxic masculinity, and is doing the standard nerd culture thing of insisting that he’s actually progressive because he’s not a jock.

This is actually a great way to put it, and it works to one of the things I find annoying about need media that others have touched on: knowing a lot about a specific IP or a niche hobby like metal music is not actually substitutable for general knowledge. It's the big Bang theory writ large, there is no difference between a physics professor and the most fedora wearing, unkept bearded misogynist whining about power girl's new outfit at the back of the comic book store.

Kavak posted:

I want to say the cheating happens around shadow of Siegfried. But the obvious insecurity he displays makes me think something happened in high-school. Obviously it's not that uncommon an idea but Mookie is even by 90s nerd standards on the extreme end of this stuff.

But echoing your earlier comment, I have often thought about how much straight men are socialized in toxic gender relations, and how for people who don't internalize the messages sent by society for whatever reason, sometimes the behavior of straight dudes can be impossible to understand. when I was in college I knew multiple guy friends that were fixated on girls from high school, but when you talked to them about it it was always because they imagined that she would be the perfect docile life partner who would stay at home with the kids. Didn't think about any of their female peers that way, I think because having met them as adults pursuing careers in their own right, they weren't able to fit these new women into that specific manufactured fantasy of the nurturing momwife. and I was like this has to have been put into their brains as an idea really early on, for it to still have such a lasting impact sometimes 2-3 years after they had last seen this person. Still pining on Facebook for them though!

What I'm saying is that heterosexuality is a mess.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 20, 2020

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Codependent Poster posted:

Though I guess we saw his talent at making up slurs in Star Power. I think he just really gets off on being able to say those words under the guise of "oh bad characters are saying it, not me!"

I feel like it's more "this is an easy way to make people hate this character" and he probably thinks it's okay because, well, they're bad people! Of course they'd use slurs! Sort of like how he had that gangster alien poo poo on the non-binary detective in Star Power. But he doesn't think about how it can come off actually reading a story with slurs constantly being thrown around.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I'm just staggered at the words he thinks need censoring vs the ones that do not

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Miss posted:

I'm just staggered at the words he thinks need censoring vs the ones that do not

And how he seems to use slurs to “make up” for all of his prior self-censorship, considering how loving often they kept coming up this arc.

Seriously, it’s like a 13-year old wrote it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Little Death posted:

and I was like this has to have been put into their brains as an idea really early on, for it to still have such a lasting impact sometimes 2-3 years after they had last seen this person.

Agreed. The Luna/Pam archetype shows up in popular culture, but for it to take this specific form, it's likely something they were raised with.

Heliotrope posted:

I feel like it's more "this is an easy way to make people hate this character" and he probably thinks it's okay because, well, they're bad people! Of course they'd use slurs! Sort of like how he had that gangster alien poo poo on the non-binary detective in Star Power. But he doesn't think about how it can come off actually reading a story with slurs constantly being thrown around.

Most of the time Mookie is just dense and thinks he can inject mature subject matter in this way, but this arc is different. He's projecting his own homophobia- "THESE are the homophobes, the people who use fag as punctuation*! I'm just mortally terrified of men being sexually interested in me and view it as a sign of moral degeneration!"

*"They're secretly the real sissy gays, teehee!"

Kavak fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 20, 2020

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Mookie constantly reveals throughout the comic that he's just as intolerant to the other as any slur-slinging 80's bully. He thinks that because he isn't walking down the street actively condemning gay people to hell, it means he's progressive.

We'll get to it eventually, but there's an entire mini-arc visit to an alterist where the punchline to every strip is Dominic being exasperated and viscerally disgusted by people who... :siren:look different!!!!!!!:siren:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Regalingualius posted:

Seriously, it’s like a 13-year old wrote it.

Part of being Mookie is never growing past your teenage years.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Kavak posted:

Agreed. The Luna/Pam archetype shows up in popular culture, but for it to take this specific form, it's likely something they were raised with.

See also Ernest Kline having a his genius game architect character pining over a girl he had 1 date with in highschool for the rest of his life.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
There's a lot going on here.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

The Little Death posted:

He wants a girl to just sort of fall into his lap (literally this is what happens to both Dominic and Greg), fall in love with his niceguyness and never leave him. I know that a lot of guys go through this phase but a) they mostly get out of it by their 20s and b) I don't sympathize with it.

Yeah, I went through this phase as a teen cuz I was still kinda pining for a girl I'd dated. I had a lot of those stupid "but I deserve it for being nice!!!" thoughts. And it all got dispelled cuz her best friend (who is currently still one of my closest friends) said "look, you're a good dude but that doesn't really entitle you to anything or anyone. Instead of focusing so much on one person, why don't you just focus on yourself? Someone will come along and like you for that."

I think having her say that to me was kinda the first inkling of understanding why media portrayals of masculinity is so bad. But Mookie just kinda revels in all that stuff, without any real introspection. He lives and breathes these nerds vs jocks cliches. And to make it worse, he often thinks he's subverting those tropes, but since he's an awful writer, there's no real subversive result so it just feels like he's reinforcing them

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Skypie posted:

Yeah, I went through this phase as a teen cuz I was still kinda pining for a girl I'd dated. I had a lot of those stupid "but I deserve it for being nice!!!" thoughts. And it all got dispelled cuz her best friend (who is currently still one of my closest friends) said "look, you're a good dude but that doesn't really entitle you to anything or anyone. Instead of focusing so much on one person, why don't you just focus on yourself? Someone will come along and like you for that."

I think having her say that to me was kinda the first inkling of understanding why media portrayals of masculinity is so bad. But Mookie just kinda revels in all that stuff, without any real introspection. He lives and breathes these nerds vs jocks cliches. And to make it worse, he often thinks he's subverting those tropes, but since he's an awful writer, there's no real subversive result so it just feels like he's reinforcing them

And I feel like you probably didn't harbour a seriously hosed up misogynistic fetish, witch I must admit counts for alot in my moral reckoning of Mookie.

I am the :cumpolice:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

The Little Death posted:

And I feel like you probably didn't harbour a seriously hosed up misogynistic fetish, witch I must admit counts for alot in my moral reckoning of Mookie.

I am the :cumpolice:

I did not, I don't think??

although, speaking of toxic gender roles/views, that friend I mentioned stood at my wedding. I offered her the option of dress or tux since she was on my side, and she decided to wear the tux. At the wedding, a bunch of my family kept asking if she was a lesbian since she was wearing a tux instead of a dress -- despite that she was shmoozing with her boyfriend all night

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Skypie posted:

I did not, I don't think??

although, speaking of toxic gender roles/views, that friend I mentioned stood at my wedding. I offered her the option of dress or tux since she was on my side, and she decided to wear the tux. At the wedding, a bunch of my family kept asking if she was a lesbian since she was wearing a tux instead of a dress -- despite that she was shmoozing with her boyfriend all night

Check the (unprotected) image directory on your website. If you see bloodybathtub-deadlady001.jpg then I have some bad news for you.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Codependent Poster posted:

This is also a fantasy setting, right? But he uses that real world slur over and over again instead of something made up or more befitting a fantasy world.

Oh, don't worry, Mookie got his feet wet on fantasy slur generating in DD with the orcs. He's broken his arm patting himself on the back for coming up with "piggart" and "pickleskin" for them.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
So, this is pretty low on the stupid plot hole list here, but it is implied both that this dumb fantasy sport is extremely popular and that this dude is a big star. We know that healing magic both exists and is not uncommon to have access to. So wouldn't the team have magical healers on staff to ensure that players are always in shape for the games? (For that matter, maybe it's called slaughterball specifically because it's like American Football but much more violent because you use healers to fix the athletes back up between plays.) So why would the bad jock even need to go elsewhere to get his hand fixed.

Plus, why would any team hire a guy who can't be healed with magic? Seems like a huge liability in this setting.

And now I've put way more thought into this than Mookie ever did.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mookie likes to split characters and writing/art so he can have it both ways.

He likes to draw boobs and asses and women being provocative but his main characters all slut shame them.

He likes to use homophobic slurs but it’s the villains doing it so it’s obvious they’re wrong.

He likes to draw violence against women but it’s never a main character doing it, it’s always a villain.

He then likes to talk about how he’s lawful good and he can’t stand morally ambiguous characters or situations, while writing a bad story where a subvillain does all of the dirty work Mookie wants done but can’t let his ‘real’ heroes do.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Lemony posted:

So, this is pretty low on the stupid plot hole list here, but it is implied both that this dumb fantasy sport is extremely popular and that this dude is a big star. We know that healing magic both exists and is not uncommon to have access to. So wouldn't the team have magical healers on staff to ensure that players are always in shape for the games? (For that matter, maybe it's called slaughterball specifically because it's like American Football but much more violent because you use healers to fix the athletes back up between plays.) So why would the bad jock even need to go elsewhere to get his hand fixed.

Plus, why would any team hire a guy who can't be healed with magic? Seems like a huge liability in this setting.

And now I've put way more thought into this than Mookie ever did.

All of these are completely legitimate grievances that Mookie offers no explanation for, because he is stupid.

You'd also think that a character who is wholly immune to all magic would become important later since the plot of this comic often has the main Mookies butting heads with the setting's most powerful evil magic users, but Garrit never does anything relevant to the plot again after this.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh, don't worry, Mookie got his feet wet on fantasy slur generating in DD with the orcs. He's broken his arm patting himself on the back for coming up with "piggart" and "pickleskin" for them.

Garritt: I turned myself into an orc Mookie.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

skeleton warrior posted:

Mookie likes to split characters and writing/art so he can have it both ways.

He likes to draw boobs and asses and women being provocative but his main characters all slut shame them.

He likes to use homophobic slurs but it’s the villains doing it so it’s obvious they’re wrong.

He likes to draw violence against women but it’s never a main character doing it, it’s always a villain.

He then likes to talk about how he’s lawful good and he can’t stand morally ambiguous characters or situations, while writing a bad story where a subvillain does all of the dirty work Mookie wants done but can’t let his ‘real’ heroes do.

Mookie is as incapable of self-actualization as he is of self-reflection. He can't say "I've done a good job here, I should be proud." He needs someone else to tell him he's smart or clever or creative and give him his mental headpats.

That's why all of his characters have wins effortlessly dropped into their laps: because appearing to lose (even briefly) is the same as actually losing; the appearance of physical damage (even damage that is performatively meaningless) is the same as having a genuine flaw; and appearing to be good or capable or smart or creative is just as good as actually being good or capable or smart or creative.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
God drat this comic makes me angry. It’s so loving poisonous.

Everyone here making effortposts, I’m just hollering alone in my house.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Time for some new poison:

Lmao what could've compelled this woman to go right for Snout's diary, every villain just immediately knows how to hurt him.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I think it’s because she is secretly a Jock. Stuffs the nerd in the lake, tries to tear up the sensitive mookie-type’s book because she hates reading.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
You can't tell because Snout is deaf, but she's calling him a

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

Lmao what could've compelled this woman to go right for Snout's diary, every villain just immediately knows how to hurt him.
A fresh poison each week.

Since it's the only thing he carries with him, she loses some points for insight, but it's still loving bullshit, yeah.

HellOnEarth posted:

I think it’s because she is secretly a Jock. Stuffs the nerd in the lake, tries to tear up the sensitive mookie-type’s book because she hates reading.
How the gently caress did Snout blast out of the water like Flipper like that? That's impossible. You need like 3 feats for that.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Where did the diary go in panel three?
How did it not end up in the water as well?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Where did the diary go in panel three?
How did it not end up in the water as well?

It was in his rucksack, so that means she went out of her way to open it up and get the diary out to tear it up.

Where did the rucksack go in panel 3? That would be hard to draw.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
She didn't go for the diary to hurt him, clearly she went for it because it's Very Important. Probably magically mad about him writing about her or some dumb poo poo.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

A fresh poison each week.

Since it's the only thing he carries with him, she loses some points for insight, but it's still loving bullshit, yeah.

HellOnEarth posted:

How the gently caress did Snout blast out of the water like Flipper like that? That's impossible. You need like 3 feats for that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GrossMurpel posted:

She didn't go for the diary to hurt him, clearly she went for it because it's Very Important. Probably magically mad about him writing about her or some dumb poo poo.

Her activities are so poorly conveyed but it looks to me like she's trying to tear it in half down the spine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

BattleMaster posted:

Her activities are so poorly conveyed but it looks to me like she's trying to tear it in half down the spine

That is what she's doing, so Mookie must've meant for her to be doing something else.