Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

makes sense. it didn't seem like a story that was meant to be super long, the season 2 finale basically sets up a final conflict

Yeah season one left it very open but the way 2 ended really hinted at only one or two more seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i just found out that nickelodeon apparently had an unaired pilot for TLA. the video quality was a bit difficult to watch as it looked like one of those compressed playstation 1 era FMVs, but the animation was surprisingly still pretty good. the characterizations are a bit different compared to the final product: aang seems way more child like, sokka is way more of a dick to aang, and katara (referred to as "kaya" in this one) seems more motherly/big sisterly, and iroh sadly doesn't even exist. the pilot itself is kind of neat in a "wow, didn't know this was a thing" kind of way, but i'm glad they went in a different direction, as what we got instead was way better.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I found the best Owl House animatic. Be warned that it ends with a loud scream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaiNbyDPcmY

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to believe Kipo was written around its fire soundtrack and once they met their episode-to-song quota that was it, call it finished.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Especially since Kipo can turn into a jaguar the size of an office building as of the end of season 2. Hard to keep writing a story around that particular trump card.

Well, considering that the villains are planning to use science to revert mutants to non-sapient animals, Kipo might be the person least capable of fighting them with violence.

Guess she'll have to use the Power of Friendship again...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A couple of things that occurred to me in Owl house - Eda's "Distraction spell" might be partially a way of conserving her magic - instead of bothering with an illusion that won't work anyway, just throwing bags of snacks means that she's not wasting magic and getting too close to turning into the Owl Demon. Also, her shiny object obsession may be a sign of the curse getting worse -her mind was getting more and more scattered as time went by, and some of her thoughts were actually the Owl Demon's thoughts as her brain grew closer to a permanent change

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Kipo & the Owl House, I'm amazed nobody's done a crossover given Kipo did do some hooting of her own in series two.

In other news, the official Disney youtube channel posted tihs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVeKbzZIUYc
Apparenty it's going to be part of a series of Line Rider videos. Kinda surprised anyone's thinking about Line Rider in 2020. Gravity Falls I get, but Line Rider?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

edit: nm

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 12, 2020

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Apparenty it's going to be part of a series of Line Rider videos. Kinda surprised anyone's thinking about Line Rider in 2020. Gravity Falls I get, but Line Rider?

The people who never forgot about Line Rider have wound up turning it into a new kind of art form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpuSi6YooAo

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The people who never forgot about Line Rider have wound up turning it into a new kind of art form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpuSi6YooAo

:psyduck:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1305536791156387840

Apparently the only major difference from the previous shorts is that they're Disney+ exclusive (also I heard somewhere that the shorts are gonna be 7 minutes instead of 3.5 but I haven't seen something official say that yet so that might just be some rumor)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Apparently the only major difference from the previous shorts is that they're Disney+ exclusive (also I heard somewhere that the shorts are gonna be 7 minutes instead of 3.5 but I haven't seen something official say that yet so that might just be some rumor)

Goofy in those shorts is the most scraggy looking gently caress. The shorts are pretty fun so more is good. I hope they're less disappointing than the recent Loony Tunes shorts.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Well this is some good news

Covok posted:

Goofy in those shorts is the most scraggy looking gently caress. The shorts are pretty fun so more is good. I hope they're less disappointing than the recent Loony Tunes shorts.

From what I remember that's because they made his design closer to how he appeared in his debut short(that brief period where his name was "Dippy Dawg" instead of Goofy)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo where can I find this movie!?

https://twitter.com/adamthezilla/status/1305912256799166466?s=21

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
This song and that death are all I remember about that movie.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Those nu-mickey mouse shorts were delightfully messed up, so I hope that continues.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got around to watching Avatar: the Last Airbender, and I'm currently partially into season 2 of Legend of Korra. So far in the latter, Eska is the best character. She's a fun take on the old creepy twin trope. I also liked that in the first episode of the last season of TLA, Aang ends up physically mirroring Zuko due to his hair growing in and his outfit being fire nation robes post-injury/rebirth, to go along with the emotional mirror of Aang obsessing with his lost honour for the episode.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
You will have to tell us what you think of Eska when you finish the season. She and Desna are one of the things that disappointed me this season and I would say the series never quite gave me what I expected from them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I didn't see mentioned much about TLA season 3 was the cute moment where Zuko is rehearsing how he's gonna introduce himself to the rest of the gang as a Firebending teacher, and he does little impressions of how Iroh and Azula would handle the situation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I didn't see mentioned much about TLA season 3 was the cute moment where Zuko is rehearsing how he's gonna introduce himself to the rest of the gang as a Firebending teacher, and he does little impressions of how Iroh and Azula would handle the situation.

That's along with his famous GF line are some of the most iconic "Zuko moments" people clip up on youtube.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Zuko's pretty great in season 3 especially overall. I do like how they handle the 'sympathetic villain joins the heroes' thing with the protagonists all (mostly) having legitimate grudges against him and Zuko working in good faith to make amends, and Zuko basically dealing with having to deprogram himself and recontextualise his entire life.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm onto the two parter in Korra with the First Avatar and it seems to completely retcon where bending comes from. The Last Airbender says that it came when the first human benders observed the movements of the animals who'd evolved to use them (Namely the seaserpents, dragons, badgermoles and flying bisons) and figured out how to manipulate them that way, while Korra shows the first Avatar getting it given to him by a Lion Turtle.

OK got a bit further in, he at least learned to better control the fire via a dragon, I guess the Lion Turtle just allowed his bloodline to bend fire generally, and his descendants learned from the dragons later how to refine it.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 20, 2020

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm onto the two parter in Korra with the First Avatar and it seems to completely retcon where bending comes from. The Last Airbender says that it came when the first human benders observed the movements of the animals who'd evolved to use them (Namely the seaserpents, dragons, badgermoles and flying bisons) and figured out how to manipulate them that way, while Korra shows the first Avatar getting it given to him by a Lion Turtle.

OK got a bit further in, he at least learned to better control the fire via a dragon, I guess the Lion Turtle just allowed his bloodline to bend fire generally, and his descendants learned from the dragons later how to refine it.

Yeah, I always took it as Wan got the Power to do that and passed it on, but people Learned how to bend from the animals.

On my own, super slow, rewatch I'm gonna start Book 3 sometime soon. Really excited for Zuko and to finally reach the That's Rough, Buddy Factory.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I didn't hate book 2 of korra (the Dark Avatar was neat) and book 3 is starting interestingly with the whole world going weird due to Korra allowing the spirits and humans to roam freely.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

BioEnchanted posted:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Waterbenders and Firebenders also learned their bending from the sun and moon respectively.

And in the Last Airbender, whatever allows bending, it's explicitly not genetic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In part 3 of korra I'm digging the evil benders. They have some really cool attacks, like how the water bender moves like an octopus, and the earthbender making magma shurikens.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

The answer is Korra bad :v:

And the Wan special is extremely pretty but I really don't like the things it does to the entire world/history of Avatar

BioEnchanted posted:

I didn't hate book 2 of korra (the Dark Avatar was neat)

I think that's the first time I've heard someone say that ever. But you do you, friend.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i enjoy korra more than the origial atla but i would never have posted that in the korra thread because it was an insufferable pile of goon essays about how the show killed their childhood and their dog, while the show was still airing

this thread's a bit better because its a wider pool of people, people talk about other shows (obv), and it's not exhausting to read

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Korra had a lot of interesting ideas, but the execution was severely mixed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BioEnchanted posted:

I've always been able to handwave any of the seeming contradictions between the Avatar Wan two parter and anything established about the origins of Bending in Last Airbender for one simple reason, there's a ridiculously huge gap between those time periods, if we assume most Avatars live at least a century(and some like Kyoshi live much longer) and that there has been at least around a hundred Avatars(probably a lot more honestly) than there's probably been at least the better part of ten thousand years between Wan and Aang and well ATLA made it pretty clear that even a mere century's worth of time can fog up common knowlege(and Aang never consulted with any of his prior lives past his previous Airbender incarnation) so it makes sense that knowledge of Wan or his time would be long forgotten by the present

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Korra had a lot of interesting ideas, but the execution was severely mixed.

Yeah, having given S1 a fresh rewatch for the first time in a while and letting my own opinions simmer on it, it definitely has a lot of aspects that really aged poorly, especially in light of later developments. Like the romantic stuff even early on.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just finished season 3, so some general thoughts about the franchise and Korra specifically -

I feel combustion benders are a bit weird, they were the worst part of TLA (because I feel that they don't really fit - everyone else is a martial artist, then suddenly cyborg xmen out of nowhere), although the one in Korra had a great character and I liked her actually having her head blown off by having it encased in armour just before her shot released near the end. That was hosed up. I also liked that her relationship with the airbender was a genuine loving one, and that her death was the proof of that, because it wasn't until that moment that the airbender could detatch himself from material things and become the wind completely.

I also didn't notice til the end that the waterbender had no arms at all, it just hadn't caught my eye. A neat idea.[spoiler] They are all cool ideas that I thought worked well together as a villain squad. The final gambit I thought was kind of clever too, with Korra [spoiler]being forced into the Avatar state by a poison that sapped her energy until the villains could easily finish her off in that state and end the cycle. Her being wheelchair bound was also a strong idea to end the season.

I loved Bo Lin, just moments like when he has a bit of fun making up backstories to the villains while in their custody (claiming that the lava bender was raised by an older sister, his moustache grew in at 10 and he had unresolved sexual tension with the waterbender girl) and the lava bender's just like "You got 2 out of 3 right, not bad! ", only to be met with Mako being all "Could you not make friends with the bad guys?" "Soooryyy.."

I also liked that in the spirit world, I got to see what became of Admiral Jao. Wandering the fog for eternity ranting about being the moon slayer after the Avatar's water spirit form dragged him there after the siege of the north

Final season 3 note that I forgot - I liked the airbending villain killing the queen by pulling the air out of her lungs, I thought that was a cool idea.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 20, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BioEnchanted posted:

I just finished season 3, so some general thoughts about the franchise and Korra specifically -

I feel combustion benders are a bit weird, they were the worst part of TLA (because I feel that they don't really fit - everyone else is a martial artist, then suddenly cyborg xmen out of nowhere), although the one in Korra had a great character and I liked her actually having her head blown off by having it encased in armour just before her shot released near the end. That was hosed up. I also liked that her relationship with the airbender was a genuine loving one, and that her death was the proof of that, because it wasn't until that moment that the airbender could detatch himself from material things and become the wind completely.

I also didn't notice til the end that the waterbender had no arms at all, it just hadn't caught my eye. A neat idea.[spoiler] They are all cool ideas that I thought worked well together as a villain squad. The final gambit I thought was kind of clever too, with Korra [spoiler]being forced into the Avatar state by a poison that sapped her energy until the villains could easily finish her off in that state and end the cycle. Her being wheelchair bound was also a strong idea to end the season.

I loved Bo Lin, just moments like when he has a bit of fun making up backstories to the villains while in their custody (claiming that the lava bender was raised by an older sister, his moustache grew in at 10 and he had unresolved sexual tension with the waterbender girl) and the lava bender's just like "You got 2 out of 3 right, not bad! ", only to be met with Mako being all "Could you not make friends with the bad guys?" "Soooryyy.."

I also liked that in the spirit world, I got to see what became of Admiral Jao. Wandering the fog for eternity ranting about being the moon slayer after the Avatar's water spirit form dragged him there after the siege of the north

Final season 3 note that I forgot - I liked the airbending villain killing the queen by pulling the air out of her lungs, I thought that was a cool idea.
Everything you just posted was definitely a lot of why I thought Season 3 was the best season of Korra.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just really felt like Korra was a lot less fun than The Last Airbender. It also lacked a lot of the mysticism that I enjoyed about the setting and didn't really have satisfying conclusions to most of the things it brought up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

She was in the Wan episodes, she should tell us!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

BioEnchanted posted:

Book 3 of Korra is easily my favorite, for a lot of those reasons. If absolutely nothing else: Travel, Evolving Conflict, And Villains Who Are Family are the best parts of this franchise, and that season blended them about as well as Book 2 of ATLA.

I finally started Book 3 of ATLA. This whole rewatch I was in "when are we getting to the fireworks factory??" mode for "Hey, Zuko here", but now that I'm in the first half of Book 3... I really, really like Zuko being trapped in a social cage of (mostly) his own making. Sweating as he knows Aang is coming, in a way a reverse to Book 1. Also that school episode, haha, wow, it was way more real than I remembered.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I just really felt like Korra was a lot less fun than The Last Airbender. It also lacked a lot of the mysticism that I enjoyed about the setting and didn't really have satisfying conclusions to most of the things it brought up.

I could never tell if the series was rushed in general or they were able to do what they wanted. The biggest problem in book 1 was all the teen angst going on.

Korra was the development team trying too hard to make it more 'mature' then ATLA. It was like a edgy cartoon network show running on Nickelodeon. They were only saved from the terrible ratings because the show contract made it too expensive to cancel.

Given how much bad luck the creators have had with every other network/company trying to adapt the franchise I can't really blame them for just shooting their shot as best they could and trying to squeeze in the saga they wanted to tell.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

glad we're back on the subject because i just finished my rewatch of TLA.

oh man, what a ride it was. this was my first time rewatching the series since it ended in 2008. granted, there were random episodes i caught on reruns in subsequent years but this was the first time i saw everything again from beginning to end. and sure, it's not as good as the first time around, but then again, what is? nothing will beat that feeling when i first discovered the show in 2005 when i had been complaining for a long time that there were no serialized mature cartoons anymore. nothing will replicate what i felt when i saw aang challenge bumi (my first episode), zuko as the blue spirit saving aang from zhao, the battle at the northern water tribe, all the moments involving iroh and zuko bonding, zuko's betrayal, pretty much all the fights with azula, ty lee and mai, everything about the boiling rock, and of course, the amazingly kickass finale. but it was still great to see all of that over again, and get all those nostalgic emotions running back into me.

looking back at the finale in particular, it's really impressive how everything was handled. they didn't skimp on anything and really went all out. the animation is some of the most dynamic and well choreographed (maybe the best) in the series. i'm really glad nickelodeon was able to give it a proper, deserving sendoff.

i know i talk about TLA a lot, but in addition to it being an excellent series, it also has a lot nostalgia for me due to events that were happening in real life at the time. when i think of the series, i recall memories of those events as well, many of which were very pleasant and some of the best years of my life. :unsmith:

i still maintain that it's the best western animated kids show since the turn of the millenium, and it's a crime that we haven't had anything approach it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

pentyne posted:

I could never tell if the series was rushed in general or they were able to do what they wanted. The biggest problem in book 1 was all the teen angst going on.

Korra was the development team trying too hard to make it more 'mature' then ATLA. It was like a edgy cartoon network show running on Nickelodeon. They were only saved from the terrible ratings because the show contract made it too expensive to cancel.

Given how much bad luck the creators have had with every other network/company trying to adapt the franchise I can't really blame them for just shooting their shot as best they could and trying to squeeze in the saga they wanted to tell.

Korra had excellent ratings in its first season, it's why it got renewed. They had dips in season two, probably thanks to it being kind of bad but also because Nick kept messing with the scheduling, it premiered a year after season one, and it occupied the infamous Friday night deathslot for a while. Evidently Nick was feeling pretty confident even after season two since that's when they got renewed for three and four. Three was when they really sank, but half the season did leak and Nick decided to air the first three episodes with a week's worth of warning as a result, so it's not like it's the show's fault.

Apparently they were happy with its online performance, so that's where it ended up premiering after S3's ratings failed to recover. Funnily enough you could argue Korra was a trailblazer in that sense since from what I hear, Disney for example doesn't give a rat's rear end about ratings on their channel (they're good for a niche cable channel in 2020, abysmal by any other measure) and instead look for performance on on-demand services and also social media buzz. I imagine CN's situation is similar.