Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Haven't read Abercrombie since The Heroes, but Best Served Cold is a favorite, and I still have fond memories of First Law (and also I liked The Heroes). Excited for the new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Black Griffon posted:

Haven't read Abercrombie since The Heroes, but Best Served Cold is a favorite, and I still have fond memories of First Law (and also I liked The Heroes). Excited for the new stuff.
Red Country is worth checking out. It's quite good as a fantasy western in its own right, and you'll check in on some familiar faces who are around a decade older.

I re-read all Abercrombie's stuff before beginning A Little Hatred (which I'm finding a little clunky) and it held up well. There were certainly a lot of minor details I hadn't noticed the first time around. In fact, I realized there were at least three recurring characters that I originally failed to spot, because I am an idiot.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

quantumfoam posted:

-1986 SFL people continue debating Tolkien lore throughout April 1986 into early June 1986 and gradually come to the conclusion that GANDALF IS ILLITERATE

(2020 take: Thanks to this, 2020 me now thinks of pre-scourging Gandalf the Grey as a Charlie Kelly guy, happy to chill with idiot hobbits because Saruman is Dennis Reynolds. Which would make Sweet Dee Reynolds = Radagast aka the "Bird Wizard". Mac would be the two unknown LotR Blue Wizards, symbolizing Mac before he came out and Mac after he came out. Frank would be Tom Bombadil, with either Gail the Snail or Roxy the whore as Bombadil's bang-buddy Goldberry. The McPoyles are Elrond and his clan. And of course, Rickety Cricket is Gollum)

This is amazing, and LOTR will never be the same for me again.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Red Country is worth checking out. It's quite good as a fantasy western in its own right, and you'll check in on some familiar faces who are around a decade older.

I re-read all Abercrombie's stuff before beginning A Little Hatred (which I'm finding a little clunky) and it held up well. There were certainly a lot of minor details I hadn't noticed the first time around. In fact, I realized there were at least three recurring characters that I originally failed to spot, because I am an idiot.

I've had a plan to re-read the first trilogy for a long time, and I think I might just do what you did and re-read all if it before starting Red Country and the most recent trilogy. I miss Glokta, that hosed up old rear end in a top hat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

quantumfoam posted:

-1986 SFL people continue debating Tolkien lore throughout April 1986 into early June 1986 and gradually come to the conclusion that GANDALF IS ILLITERATE
...Isn't he the one that reads the Elvish script on the door into Moria? Or is that someone else and he just speaks friend and enters?

(note that doesn't mean he can read Westron, or whatever the Hobbits write in, or any other language other than whichever of Q/S that is on the door)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...Isn't he the one that reads the Elvish script on the door into Moria? Or is that someone else and he just speaks friend and enters?

(note that doesn't mean he can read Westron, or whatever the Hobbits write in, or any other language other than whichever of Q/S that is on the door)

https://isleyunruh.com/open-letter-twitter-defamatory-claim-gandalfs-illiteracy/

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What HA posted, plus Gandalf being unable to read correctly got mentioned in my SFL Archives Vol 11 readthrough update 03 too.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I am just astonished at the idea that a wizard could somehow be illiterate. I suppose you could pick up some magic through an apprenticeship, but you wouldn't be able to develop it further without being able to read.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tokamak posted:

I am just astonished at the idea that a wizard could somehow be illiterate. I suppose you could pick up some magic through an apprenticeship, but you wouldn't be able to develop it further without being able to read.

Wizards in Tolkien are angels that give up some of their power to walk among us and act as a check on fallen angels and their agents like Sauron. They aren't nerds who study for their abilities, everything they do is as innate to them as breathing

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Worked my way through another 9% of SFL Archives Volume 11, and it's up on the off-site blog.
That 9% was heavy Tolkienian lore debates, but I still found a bunch of interesting things, like where/who Peter Molyneux ripped off the idea for Populous 1 from.

And I hope I found another unique take on Tolkienian lore.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Just finished Baru 3 and holy poo poo that was incredible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Gandalf does read the script, but he fucks up the translation. He misreads it as Speak, friend, and enter and spends hours trying to figure out the password before realising it actually reads Say "Friend" and enter.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zore posted:

Wizards in Tolkien are angels that give up some of their power to walk among us and act as a check on fallen angels and their agents like Sauron. They aren't nerds who study for their abilities, everything they do is as innate to them as breathing

Yep. Which makes it ironic that the inspiration for A Wizard of Earthsea was LeGuin wondering how Gandalf learned his magic.

Although I suspect Gandalf's fireworks craftsmanship is learned rather than innate. Middle-Earth has a lot of unknown areas beyond the edges of the map; perhaps one of them is a China equivalent...

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

He presumably learned it from the Dwarves of Dale, who make fireworks.

I just picked up the Patternmaster omnibus; are the books better in published or chronological order?

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, it's not quite that simple. All the Wizards we see are implied to have studied and learned. Gandalf who once knew all the spells of opening in all the languages of Middle Earth (I'm paraphrasing from memory), Radagast's lore of the animals and, most significantly, Saruman's study of ringcraft which led to his ruin. It seems power came to them naturally but they learnt its forms just as to the Elven lords and ladies.

Le Guin's thoughts (I really need to read Earthsea) makes sense though. Gandalf's and the other Istari's divine nature is in the Silmarillion and letters, reading Lord of the Rings alone I can see the logic.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

If Gandalf is illiterate, then how did he read the journal page Isildur left in Gondor?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

xcheopis posted:

If Gandalf is illiterate, then how did he read the journal page Isildur left in Gondor?
It took him a very long time to find the illustrated version.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Last Policeman series by Ben H Winters - $1.99/$2.99/$2.99
The Last Policeman - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076Q1GW2/
Countdown City - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6OV90E/
World of Trouble - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXYHVNU/

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Another one I know has come up in the thread steadily, but I canot recall if it's good or bad. Good or bad?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

xcheopis posted:

https://youtu.be/vQX14-zHaCo

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Another one I know has come up in the thread steadily, but I canot recall if it's good or bad. Good or bad?

Good, but depressing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kalman posted:

Good, but depressing.

Seconded.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Thirded.
I rather admire the author for ending things the way he did.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

EdBlackadder posted:

Le Guin's thoughts (I really need to read Earthsea) makes sense though. Gandalf's and the other Istari's divine nature is in the Silmarillion and letters, reading Lord of the Rings alone I can see the logic.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the idea, it's just ironic.

The next two Earthsea books, The Tombs of Atuan and The Furthest Shore, both also have an "education of a fantasy archetype" aspect to them, but despite probably being better books than Wizard on the whole, they get a bit less out of this element. In the case of The Furthest Shore this is because the education of Aragorn is a more well-trodden subject than the education of Gandalf (there's plenty of bildungsroman-type fantasy with magic-using protagonists, of course, but that's not the same as stories where the protagonist becomes a Gandalf-style semi-passive sage). In the case of The Tombs of Atuan this is because the archetype (the evil priestess who lives in a spooky underground complex full of traps) is a harder one to take seriously - though it's interesting to note that LeGuin actually wrote the novel before D&D even existed, so some of the sillier associations wouldn't have existed at the time.

Edit: I just had a bit of a brainstorm about Tombs of Atuan and realized that it's even more interesting than I thought. I'll probably write a bigger post about it soon.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 20, 2020

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Piranesi, by Susanne Clark. Norrel and Strange has been sittiong on my kindle for a long time due to length. This was a nice way to get a quick taste of what to expect. I honestly don't have much to say, it was a quick read. It's set on a world that's fun to read about, the characters develop nicely enough. Plenty of questions don't get answered, not a negative thing, but if that's what you are looking for you'll get disappointed.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Very, very good. I ranked the trilogy third out of all the books I read last year: https://grubstreethack.wordpress.com/2019/12/30/top-10-books-of-2019/

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Black Griffon posted:

My thought was that the author wasn't much of a mystery writer, and that the real star of the series was the well-crafted progressive end of civilization rather than the plots that nominally drove each novel.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

<reposted from off-site SFL Archives readthrough blog>

SFL Archives Vol 11 readthrough update 05
43% completion, 140 bookmarks

21 items of interest.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 29, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

quantumfoam posted:

-the TUCKER AWARD, an award for SF convention goers gets mentioned. Not sure if the TUCKER AWARD is a grifter scam, partially real, or a one-off SF award that quickly died off due to lack of interest. (2020 note: Not going to waste the time internet-searching it since no-one has responded about it.)

Was curious about this so I looked a bit and dollars to donuts it's named for this guy, Wilson Tucker https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_Tucker . Dude was like the ur-sci fi geek. Started a zine in 1932 and was still publishing it at random intervals when he died in 2006. Coined the term 'space opera' and a ton of other genre terms, won awards for his fanfics and then moved on to actually selling his stories. He participated in so many sci fi cons in various capacities that people have given up trying to list them all, which is saying something given your average sci fi fan's love of making lists.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

quantumfoam posted:

-Someone tries to critique and tear down how the fog of war & situational awareness affected real life battles like Waterloo 1815, the 1973 Arab-Israeli War, and General Sherman's 1864 March to the Sea. Only by the 3rd paragraph it's clear that Avalon Hill wargaming rulesets and ONLY Avalon Hill wargaming rulesets are being used for the critiques of these IRL battles. It is hilarious to read, especially when other SFLers respond back.

Oh god, you have to show this to the milhist thread.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

quantumfoam posted:

-Someone tries to critique and tear down how the fog of war & situational awareness affected real life battles like Waterloo 1815, the 1973 Arab-Israeli War, and General Sherman's 1864 March to the Sea. Only by the 3rd paragraph it's clear that Avalon Hill wargaming rulesets and ONLY Avalon Hill wargaming rulesets are being used for the critiques of these IRL battles. It is hilarious to read, especially when other SFLers respond back.

Absolute dogshit brain. I love it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

quantumfoam posted:

-Stanislaw Lem's work starts getting discussed, with people being amazed by how good (usually) the translations of Lem's stories into other languages go, usually.
Ugh, did they only have the translation of Solaris that was Polish -> French -> English back then? I think the retranslation was literally 2002ish, just before the movie...

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

In the middle or the new Abercrombie and am enjoying it quite a bit.

Gotta say though, I never figured him to be the kind of author to get misogynistic fucks up in arms about powerful women in books. Kind of a pleasant surprise.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

A Proper Uppercut posted:

In the middle or the new Abercrombie and am enjoying it quite a bit.

Gotta say though, I never figured him to be the kind of author to get misogynistic fucks up in arms about powerful women in books. Kind of a pleasant surprise.

He's always been a good egg on twitter and such, grimdark but cool about it.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Anyone know if any good short stories or books about generation ships came out this year?

quantumfoam posted:

SFL Archives Vol 11 readthrough update 05
43% completion, 140 bookmarks

-Tolkien LotR chat intensifies and redoubles. Many theories and misunderstandings about the One Ring occur (was there actually 21 rings of power, not 20 rings?(based on how you parsed out the One Ring To Rule Them All inscription). Did the One Ring corrupt Good-guy Sauron? Did the elf's continuously round-robin their 3 rings to keep Sauron's influence away?). Power rankings for Valar and Maiar, and who fit where in those rankings. Finally, one SFLer tries the Sherlock Holmes Watsonian tactic of claiming J.R.R. Tolkien merely translated the Hobbit and the LotR saga, and wonders who really wrote those stories.

(2020 note: Pretty much the only thing that hasn't come yet is SFLer's saying that, actually the Balrog's wielded lightsabers(this is my contribution to Tolkienian lore if no one else has come up with it)).

-First mention of Anne Rice and THE VAMPIRE LESTAT in the SFL Archives.

-The Navy Times leaks a story and pictures of Star Trek 4 filming taking place on the U.S.S. Ranger (CV-61 aircraft carrier).

-Paranoia RPG module YELLOW CLEARANCE BLACK BOX BLUES gets men...#672785 REDACTED BY ORDER OF FRIEND COMPUTER. HAIL FRIEND COMPUTER.

-The 1986 Seattle International Film Festival had a seminar on how film trailers were cut, and it sounds extremely interesting. Added this to my "track down and read" list.

-Burning Chrome, the optioned-and-in-the-works film adaption of William Gibson's Neuromancer gets mentioned and discussed and mentioned more because Burning Chrome is also the title of a William Gibson cyberpunk short story collection.

-the TUCKER AWARD, an award for SF convention goers gets mentioned. Not sure if the TUCKER AWARD is a grifter scam, partially real, or a one-off SF award that quickly died off due to lack of interest. (2020 note: Not going to waste the time internet-searching it since no-one has responded about it.)

-A few SFL Star Trek fans ask "Why don't any of the official Star Trek episodes have female captains, it is sexism or worse?" (2020 take: Yes and Yes. Gene Roddenberry applies heavily to both Yes answers.)

-Someone transcribes an entire edition of CHEAP TRUTH, an Austin TX science-fiction newsletter, to the SF-LOVERS mailing list. The edition of CHEAP TRUTH transcribed is decently long, very political, and full of sick burns on many 1986 big-Name SF authors.

-Some 1986 SFLers start hating on Spider Robinson's stories always including rape, underage jailbait, sexual assault, 30 second pep-talk speeches curing lifelong depressions, and having tragedy being SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT....2020 me rejoices.

-Andrew M. Greeley's story The God Game gets mentioned....and guess we now know where Peter Molyneux got the idea for Populous 1 from.

-A SFLer quotes a recent 1986 issue of Scientific American, which discusses the lack of cheetah genetic variance. (2020 note: I listed this just to reference the state of DNA sequencing and precursor warnings of the 6th extinction event, circa 1986. 6th extinction event clarification can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction )

-Cyberspace and how 1986 SFLers think it will be implemented in the future, using or not using William Gibson's vision of Cyberspace as a non-computer person.

-"How would you repopulate the Earth if 99% of the opposing gender died off?" discussion, Some people participating in this discussion aim high, some go detail oriented wondering about the diet plans & scheduling details needed to rebalance the gender ratio, and others almost but don't quite go into race science mode.

-Max Headroom comes up again, regarding Maxx Headroom (Matt Frewer) appearing in Coke commercials before the Maxx Headroom Cinemax tv series officially starts up.

-First mention of Project Orion in the SFL Archives. Projection Orion was essentially a plan to launch spaceships by detonating nuclear bombs beneath them and using a hyper-massive shock-absorber system to absorb the blasts and "bounce" the spaceships forward.

-NASA waits around five months before starting a grass-roots PR campaign to keep funding manned space exploration projects in response to the details coming out about how NASA f**ked up big-time everyway regarding the Challenger Launch decision.

-Stanislaw Lem's work starts getting discussed, with people being amazed by how good (usually) the translations of Lem's stories into other languages go, usually.

-The movies Aliens, Labyrinth, Big Trouble in Little China all come out within 2 weeks of each other. So far, Labyrinth has the most feedback, with "this children's film was geared towards children and not adults, I don't like it" being the most vocal feedback so far.

-Nanotechnology will change everything. One of the first mentions of Nanotechnology by that name in the SFL Archives.

from a few post of yours back, but what’s your beef with Stephen Brust? I know he’s a trot but that’s not the worst political view to have.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

all Science Fiction Fantasy MegaThread 3: 1 kg = 2.2 lb = .157 stone knows to do is talk about baru, ask about generation ships and LIE

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Lem Is Excellent.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

quantumfoam posted:

-A few SFL Star Trek fans ask "Why don't any of the official Star Trek episodes have female captains, it is sexism or worse?" (2020 take: Yes and Yes. Gene Roddenberry applies heavily to both Yes answers.)
Ironically, Trek's first female captain would appear in STIV as the unnamed captain of the USS Saratoga whose ship gets disabled by the Whale Probe at the beginning of the movie. We naturally got a lot more female captains in TNG and onward, but as SFDebris has noted they have a troubling habit of either getting killed off or having their ships get destroyed.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Black Griffon posted:

all Science Fiction Fantasy MegaThread 3: 1 kg = 2.2 lb = .157 stone knows to do is talk about baru, ask about generation ships and LIE

I really like generation ships and first contact scenarios. I’m into the sociology of sci-fi far more than the whiz-bang technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PawParole posted:

I really like generation ships and first contact scenarios. I’m into the sociology of sci-fi far more than the whiz-bang technology.

Same! That's why I love the Alliance-Union stuff by CJ Cherryh so much. All about people, and the people things they do, in space.