Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Myst is back... in VR form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJs2GcbzgP4

some of the music at the end is from Riven, so maybe we're finally getting the Riven remake that everyone deserves? maybe it's finally time to make Myst 6, or hell, Uru 2. if you've never played this 90s classic and all five of its sequels, there's no better time. i just hope you're...... into books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i do not work for Cyan's advertising team, i just really love Myst, Riven, Exile, Uru, Revelation and uh... tolerate End of Ages, as well as the terrible myst books, and the group of germans who still do a synchronized dance in the dwindling Uru Online community.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pyst, available exclusively for Micro$haft Winblows 69.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
will buy if it comes out on PSVR and I can close the book while Sirrus is talking

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cubone posted:

will buy if it comes out on PSVR and I can close the book while Sirrus is talking

closing the book while Sirrus or Achenar talk has always been a feature.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Bicyclops posted:

closing the book while Sirrus or Achenar talk has always been a feature.
huh

I have specific memories of the opposite but that's probably my brain being dumb

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I can't get past the puzzle where you sign up for a facebook account to play.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i do not work for Cyan's advertising team

when obduction came out their advertisement for it amounted to posting one tweet a week after, so I'm pretty sure no one actually works for their advertising team.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

when obduction came out their advertisement for it amounted to posting one tweet a week after, so I'm pretty sure no one actually works for their advertising team.

yeah they're a small shop these days and they seem to just eschew advertising entirely. Myst is like the absolute first game that should have gone to VR, but Cyan didn't know how to do it until they hit their Obduction stretch goals, lol.

i couldn't find the video in the OP by looking at their website or searching Youtube for Cyan, i had to get it from my friend who beta tested Uru.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

looks like it's not an oculus exclusive phew, steam page

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

an actual dog posted:

I think it will go to console VR later too, Obduction did.

I don't have any VR because I'm stereoblind and I haven't been able to test it to see if it works for me, but I'd be tempted for Myst

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

an actual dog posted:

No screenshots of Rime....

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I hope this means that Rand Miller will give a college intern a copy of blender and tell him to make five levels while filming himself rambling in a bathrobe and release it as myst 6.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

I hope this means that Rand Miller will give a college intern a copy of blender and tell him to make five levels while filming himself rambling in a bathrobe and release it as myst 6.

lol

I hope Richard watson stuffs him back in his tattered ren faire outfit and forces him to limp around saying nonsense in a husky voice while some academy award winning actor chews the scenery in the next room, yelling "Do you know what your daughter did, Atrus? Are you done having children yet, you useless hippy?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Myst 6: Reign of Yeesha, starring Derek Jacobi and with an original song by *spins 2020 wheel* Roger Waters and Thom Yorke

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

lol

I hope Richard watson stuffs him back in his tattered ren faire outfit and forces him to limp around saying nonsense in a husky voice while some academy award winning actor chews the scenery in the next room, yelling "Do you know what your daughter did, Atrus? Are you done having children yet, you useless hippy?"

lmao

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrsyDMDkhVI

ForbiddenSock
May 12, 2020

Would using Nike brand socks for my seed be a cool flex?
Bro I loved Myst so much but holy poo poo the games after Riven were hot garbage. I mean MYST isnt that great in hindsight, but like the ATMOSPHERE and goddamn music and tone were just so goddamn good I ignored everything I didn't like about it and it was a glorious feeling of awe that I chase and never could achieve.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ForbiddenSock posted:

Bro I loved Myst so much but holy poo poo the games after Riven were hot garbage. I mean MYST isnt that great in hindsight, but like the ATMOSPHERE and goddamn music and tone were just so goddamn good I ignored everything I didn't like about it and it was a glorious feeling of awe that I chase and never could achieve.

gently caress you

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ForbiddenSock posted:

Brad Dourif is gonna teleport into your study and set it on fire.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*watching academy award winner, brad dourif, yell into a tiny camera and jump up and down like rumpelstiltskin hissing "your ssssonsss ay-trusss*, all while assembling a track for a huge marble, with full 360 degree movement* bro, this is hot garbage, dude. *while listening to an original song by peter gabriel* fuckin sucks, brohammer.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ForbiddenSock posted:

Wow

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ForbiddenSock posted:

Would you say it was a Myst opportunity

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops posted:

*watching academy award winner, brad dourif, yell into a tiny camera and jump up and down like rumpelstiltskin hissing "your ssssonsss ay-trusss*, all while assembling a track for a huge marble, with full 360 degree movement* bro, this is hot garbage, dude. *while listening to an original song by peter gabriel* fuckin sucks, brohammer.

lol

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrQiTtPREk

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

lol

Lol

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

ForbiddenSock posted:

Cyan was busy with their ambitious MMO project Uru that crashed and burned in the end, so Myst 3 and 4 were farmed out to other companies that really missed the mark tonally about what made Myst and Riven great. Instead they tried to make them in an over the top Hollywood blockbuster style with "Epic" overblown orchestral music everywhere. Then Myst 5 was made by Cyan but hastily cobbled together from remnants of canceled Uru content and featuring one of the most annoying characters in the series.

Uru has the same great atmosphere as Myst and Riven, though it's a very disjointed experience since it's built on the remains of a canceled MMO.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why does every drat game studio have to try and make an MMO at some point.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Why does every drat game studio have to try and make an MMO at some point.

Welcome back

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Finally Larry Lunchmeat can get back to being the good Larry poster.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Uru owns even if some of the puzzles are absolutely bizarre. one required you to read like 10 diaries of d'ni kings so you could figure out their unit of time measurement and then stand in a specific place for like 45 minutes. that one probably should have gotten the axe. the online stuff is funny because a very small community got super into it and basically used it like meetup dot com

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Uru owns even if some of the puzzles are absolutely bizarre. one required you to read like 10 diaries of d'ni kings so you could figure out their unit of time measurement and then stand in a specific place for like 45 minutes. that one probably should have gotten the axe. the online stuff is funny because a very small community got super into it and basically used it like meetup dot com

The best puzzle is one where a bridge is stuck, so instead of doing the Classic Myst Thing of finding a way around and unjamming it from the other side you do a running jump to kick it down.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
more like cyst

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

The best puzzle is one where a bridge is stuck, so instead of doing the Classic Myst Thing of finding a way around and unjamming it from the other side you do a running jump to kick it down.

lol, that and the one where you have to roll a bunch of logs

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

End of Shoelace posted:

more like cyst

I liked your work on firesign theater growing up

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

American McGay posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

American McGay posted:

This.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

we went from one larry to 1.5 larries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002