Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

VR question, if I am interested in the VIVE Cosmos Elite Headset, but none of the other accessories that can go with it, would that still be enough to play Elite Dangerous in VR? I want to provide the controller, I have a joystick, and so am not really seeing why I would need anything else, but wanted to make sure.

I just started playing, so someone correct me if I am wrong. I am playing on a Valve Index, and the valve index controllers don't work in the game without manually mapping everything.

I have been playing with an XBox controller in VR which works really well for me, so I assume your joystick will be just fine.

Prepare to :barf: the first time you turn off flight assist (I got used to it), but otherwise VR has been incredible in this game IMO. Being able to look around in a dogfight, or even when docking, has been super useful and fun. I don't want to play without it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rectovagitron posted:

I just started playing, so someone correct me if I am wrong. I am playing on a Valve Index, and the valve index controllers don't work in the game without manually mapping everything.

This is good to know! For Valve Index, you'll still have to have the Valve Base Stations in order for head tracking (looking around) to work, right?

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

This is good to know! For Valve Index, you'll still have to have the Valve Base Stations in order for head tracking (looking around) to work, right?

Yeah, you just need just one pointing at it for seated play. I've never used another headset, but the head tracking is flawless for me.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Tommy the Newt posted:

You've chosen not only to grind, but to grind using outdated methods! If you want to do it fast data is Jameson's Cobra and manufactured materials are best found from High Grade Emissions then trading.

I understand when people say they don't want to do the exploity methods and prefer to just do it slowly through missions etc, but if you are going to go to the effort of relogging somewhere, make sure it's the right place...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W5VFUlf6ZJOMUQJELxDBU60O7mICfRwrZ_nZNgvLl5M/edit?usp=drivesdk

This guide is a bit of a mess but if you stick to the bold/highlighted methods you'll get it done a lot faster than wake scanning and Dav's Hope. You can get 100 grade 5 materials in ~15 minutes which is more valuable than what you'd get out of Dav's in several hours.

Also yes, you have to do this for every ship - unless you can share parts between ships; size 6 drives are used by lots of good ones, so if you engineer a Krait or Python many of the modules will be interchangeable. Also the material costs are reduced once you're ranked highly with the engineer. I also reckon you should have a glance at the module lists in the ships guide (linked in the previous one) before deciding what to modify - you don't have to read all the overbearing nerdscribbling I've done, but there are lots of trap modifications in Elite that are a waste of time, so make sure you're spending your hard-earned materials on something actually decent.

Oh cool, thank you for the updated guide, just spent some time picking up raw materials, wasn't too bad.

Thundarr posted:

You're gonna need materials for every module you use. There are some cases where you can realistically share modules between multiple ships, but for the most part expect to engineer up each ship separately. Luckily material traders exist, so if you get a good stock of G5 materials you can trade them down to cover most of your engineering needs for a good long while.

The part that you (mostly) don't need to repeat is ranks with the actual engineers. There's a lot of them, though you don't need to get all of them up to rank 5 in order to get the recipes you need. The main annoyance with them is having to fly back to an engineer every time you want to apply an experimental mod or if you need a recipe that you didn't pin (because you pinned one that you use slightly more often).

Okay cool, i mostly meant if i got loaded up on ship the materials wouldn't be shared between ships but i don't think that is the case.

Thanks for the info!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
*running down the hall* gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress ok someone else changed it good I definitely did not forget

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Lando Kardashian posted:

started my fed corvette grind . half way there but wow its bloody boring. i just want to pew pew at other space dudes. Next will be engineer grind. if there are any ps4 goons on here send me a pm and we can bash our heads against our canopies from boredom together!

Back in my day we had to haul a billion credits worth of human poo poo from Sothis to the bubble, uphill both ways, AND WE LIKED IT!

...actually I think I did data missions between Sothis and Ceos for my ‘vette. :ohdear:

...the poo poo did pay for the ‘vette, though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I said come in! posted:

VR question, if I am interested in the VIVE Cosmos Elite Headset

IMO either wait for reviews on the Reverb 2 (which looks to be an excellent option for sim/flight stuff), or get a Valve Index.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Gort posted:

It's fine, once you have finished all the grinds you can stop playing the game, same as me

Nowadays I just occasionally reinstall the game and replay the tutorial combat situations

The redesigned tutorials make me sad that the actual in-game missions are such garbage. They actually did a pretty good job making the pilot certification and tutorial scenarios interesting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shine posted:

IMO either wait for reviews on the Reverb 2 (which looks to be an excellent option for sim/flight stuff), or get a Valve Index.

Yep! This is actually what i'm going to end up doing after doing more research. Didn't originally realize this was an option that existed.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shine posted:

The redesigned tutorials make me sad that the actual in-game missions are such garbage. They actually did a pretty good job making the pilot certification and tutorial scenarios interesting.

problem is the combat missions are not in any way balanced around the ship you are using

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I blew myself up messing around with mines tonight :(

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

smug jeebus posted:

I blew myself up messing around with mines tonight :(

lol what happen

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Tommy the Newt posted:

Something that draws strangely little attention in Elite is the extent to which missions are hosed

its baffling!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Helianthus Annuus posted:

lol what happen

I shot a bunch out and then flew close to them see how powerful they are. Can confirm they wreck a Diamondback with D-rated shields pretty hard. Hitting an NPC with them feels impossible though.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

smug jeebus posted:

I shot a bunch out and then flew close to them see how powerful they are. Can confirm they wreck a Diamondback with D-rated shields pretty hard. Hitting an NPC with them feels impossible though.

what about going to a planet and dropping them on someones parked space ship, or moon buggy?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'll have to try that out at least once before selling 'em

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
mines were great for bombing skidders or whatever years ago for that money thing

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

smug jeebus posted:

Hitting NPCs with mines works well if you run away in a straight line, forcing them to follow you right behind you. This way, every mine just directly drops into their stupid faces.

Obviously this makes mines the best when running away from something that would make you explode before you can jump out, and not so good at everything else.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0AmL0HFc20 the only practical use of mines is scaring big ship players by dropping their ubershields - you mod the mines with reverb cascade, then you have to goad them into flying in a straight line - each strike does damage directly to the shield generator, eventually breaking it regardless of total MJ. It only really works against the unsuspecting these days, and FA off pilots are practically impossible to hit with them because their vector is unpredictable.

There was one other amazing gimmick which was to equip a Clipper with rapid fire reverb mines on the bottom hardpoints, then bellyflop directly onto big ships and spam the mines - because the Clipper can equip a size 7 shield (same as the Anaconda and Corvette) the mines would break both shields at the same time, (or even break theirs first if you'd use the double-braced mod on your shield generator). Then you could finish them off with other guns. Sadly Frontier killed this by adding arming timers to mines, not for balancing reasons but because trader NPCs kept killing themselves with mines and they needed a fix. (NPC traders still manage to kill themselves with mines, amusingly.)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh hey, a community goal actually exists again. Maybe I'll actually so one of those.

E: cripes it's 45kls from the star and there's already a billion carriers in the system.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 17, 2020

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Where do I even pick up these powerplay credits it keeps messaging me about, if you dutifully collected these it would be all you did in the game

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

Where do I even pick up these powerplay credits it keeps messaging me about, if you dutifully collected these it would be all you did in the game

its under "contacts" at the station menu

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I tried to activate an Ancient Data Terminal and between having trouble remembering where all the stupid pylons are, all the guardian crap looking the same and the SRV getting caught on anything larger than an atom I think I'll stick with the regular FSD for now I guess.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Oh I tried to get data from a Guardian site one time, but getting bounced around like a kickball in a yard fulla angry children made me give up super fast.

Has FDev said when Odyssey is dropping? I want to walk around on my special legs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well it took a while, but I delivered ~10,000 building fabricators to Tenche. There's so many goddamn FCs in that system that it kept re-directing my target to the wrong one half the time when I entered supercruise. And about a third of the FCs are just parked around the main star 45,000 light seconds from the station, so lol to them.

Also, according to Inara my contribution put me in... 11th place. Damnit.

At least my FC is freed up now for any war shenanigans that may take place over the weekend.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Seams posted:

I tried to activate an Ancient Data Terminal and between having trouble remembering where all the stupid pylons are, all the guardian crap looking the same and the SRV getting caught on anything larger than an atom I think I'll stick with the regular FSD for now I guess.

I used this guide and it helped a lot to have the map open on another monitor. Otherwise it all looks the same and it's easy to get lost. Plus always kill sentinels asap because if you get more than four of them on you at once it tends to be hopeless.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
It's a shame you can't have multiple characters. I remember having the most fun with the early and mid-game experience, but I don't want to lose my elite explorer.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bargearse posted:

It's a shame you can't have multiple characters. I remember having the most fun with the early and mid-game experience, but I don't want to lose my elite explorer.

You could buy another copy of the game! :homebrew:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You can just delete and start over! :haw:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

You can just delete and start over! :haw:

he said he doesnt want to lose his elite explorer!!!!!!

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Make sure you have point defense and park a small sized ship right next to the ruins. That stops the disorienting missiles from hitting you and "solves" the puzzle.

Finally got my "endgame" fsd on my asp x and can jump 68 ly per. Distance used to be daunting, but feels a tad trivial now. Took a long time to decide to get the engineering and guardian tech so it feels earned. But, I do miss space feeling loving vast. Considering sightseeing and chill is the only thing in Elite that truly works, I love having the weighted clothes off.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Dishwasher posted:

Make sure you have point defense and park a small sized ship right next to the ruins. That stops the disorienting missiles from hitting you and "solves" the puzzle.

Finally got my "endgame" fsd on my asp x and can jump 68 ly per. Distance used to be daunting, but feels a tad trivial now. Took a long time to decide to get the engineering and guardian tech so it feels earned. But, I do miss space feeling loving vast. Considering sightseeing and chill is the only thing in Elite that truly works, I love having the weighted clothes off.

You could always visit Sag A and stuff if you want distance.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

he said he doesnt want to lose his elite explorer!!!!!!

Could just buy a new sidewinder.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

super sweet best pal posted:

i have a sidewinder engineered for max speed, and its so much fun to fly

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

super sweet best pal posted:

I do have a bright orange A-rated, engineered Sidewinder named “Pilot Under Instruction” in the hangar. If only I could be bothered flying all the way back from Beagle Point.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Bargearse posted:

I agree it's a shame you can't have multiple characters but I'm pretty sure the early game seemed more fun because you were honeymooning on all the cool space diegesis (and hadn't figured out how broken everything is yet) which you can't really recapture no matter how many times you restart. I guess if you're in search of goals, simply working up the ship list is the most obvious and satisfying but you could consider adopting a faction or trying to perfect your ship fits or something, rather than starting again from scratch.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 19, 2020

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The most enjoyable thing to do in this game for me is doing nothing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

The most enjoyable thing to do in this game for me is doing nothing.

I probably should have low expectations for this, but I am looking forward to being able to walk around space stations whenever that finally comes.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

I said come in! posted:

I probably should have low expectations for this, but I am looking forward to being able to walk around space stations whenever that finally comes.

Until this becomes a forced mechanic to use station services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Until this becomes a forced mechanic to use station services.

The material trader is based about 3km from your landing pad. Luckily, you can hop on a shuttle bus (departs every five minutes) so you don't have to walk the entire way!