Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Notahippie posted:

To me it implies the existence of a kind of Ian Banks Culture-esque human society outside of the Empire.

Given the context clues in Harrow John has been searching 10 millennia for the people responsible for the destruction of the 9 planets and he also believes the BoE "doesn't have any right to what they've abandoned" I figure the rest of the human race is out somewhere after abandoning Earth when the sun started failing. John's idea to reignite the sun was ignored and the government's collected a select few best and brightest and fled leaving billions to eventually die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Anima and Animus are the two parts of the soul, feminine and masculine, respectively. Given that Lictor's are a combination of two people, hetero-normative genders don't really apply anymore.

Essentially it's a long, tortured road to call Ianthe a lesbian.

I kind of doubt that the Second House actually wrote their report to say “necromantic specialty: lesbian.”

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rand Brittain posted:

I kind of doubt that the Second House actually wrote their report to say “necromantic specialty: lesbian.”

But imagine if they had.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh my god please tell me that Harrow is not written mostly or entirely in second person.

I had no idea how much that triggered me until I read the first page and recoiled in horror.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh my god please tell me that Harrow is not written mostly or entirely in second person.

I had no idea how much that triggered me until I read the first page and recoiled in horror.

Mebbe half. I still don't get the hate from folks on that, though.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Books written in present tense are the real horror.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

silvergoose posted:

Mebbe half. I still don't get the hate from folks on that, though.

Yeah. I didn’t know I hated until I ran into it.

I don’t think I’ve read a second person book since my last Choose Your Own Adventure.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I didnt enjoy the second person, but you get used to it, and the book is good enough it's worth ploughing on

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. I didn’t know I hated until I ran into it.

I don’t think I’ve read a second person book since my last Choose Your Own Adventure.

The other one recently was The Fifth Season which I guess you might want to avoid now! (it's one of my favorites, so clearly the concept doesn't bother me)

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I just took it to be Gideon's perspective of the goings on told through an internal narrative, since Harrow had absorbed her. The circumstances of what she had done to herself told to herself since she didn't want/couldn't to do it for herself

You do have an internal narrative, right? I thought that was normal.

I would describe HtN as frustrating more than anything else. It's a good book.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Collateral posted:

I just took it to be Gideon's perspective of the goings on told through an internal narrative, since Harrow had absorbed her. The circumstances of what she had done to herself told to herself since she didn't want/couldn't to do it for herself

You do have an internal narrative, right? I thought that was normal.

I would describe HtN as frustrating more than anything else. It's a good book.

Oh it's undeniably Gideon's perspective, but that doesn't change one's like or dislike of 2nd person narrative. Just doesn't work for some people.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I heard there were lesbian necromancers raising bones... :newlol:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gatts posted:

I heard there were lesbian necromancers raising bones... :newlol:

The execution of this joke in the second book is pretty spot on.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I did not like the second person until I did, so credit to Muir for making me come around I guess. Probably took 200 pages or so?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I really disliked it in the fifth season, but it works here, and there’s a transition at the end that really kicks rear end.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I really liked it in both. Different tastes, I suppose!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Finished Harrow. Deeply weird book but very worthwhile.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm honestly not surprised that God is a meme lord considering he spends all his time on his tablet

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm honestly not surprised that God is a meme lord considering he spends all his time on his tablet

It's arguably the biggest clue as to Gideon v2.0's true parentage.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Entropic posted:

It's arguably the biggest clue as to Gideon v2.0's true parentage.

I really don't think meme lordship is genetic.

I

...think

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Some people are born memelords and some people have memes thrusted upon them.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Senerio posted:

Some people are born memelords and some people have memes thrusted upon them.

Gideon appropriate because this is also the phrase that probably wins the title for "dick joke most often quoted by people who don't realize it was originally a dick joke"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
speaking of the memes

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oof. Oooooooof.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Tamsyn Muir talks about her next books post Locked Tomb Trilogy:

https://www.bustle.com/entertainment/tasmyn-muir-on-gideon-the-ninth-the-locked-tomb-trilogy-spec-fic

quote:

Is "lesbian gunslinger under the sea" the new "lesbian necromancers in space?"

I didn't realize Alecto doesn't come out until 2022 though. :negative:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dang that's a long long time

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

2022? But what else am I supposed to look forward to in the trash fire that is certain to be next year?? Please let that be a typo :cry: :cry:

Super excited to hear about her new stuff. She clearly has a lot of really fun ideas and I'm excited to see more of her as a writer and a storyteller. Harrow was just a fascinating read and I'd love to see her do more with that sort-of meta storytelling. I'm not even sure is "meta storytelling" is quite the phrase I'm going for but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say?

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah it was amazing how quickly I went from "uhh I'm not sure I'll enjoy this" (wrt the second person narrator in Harrow) to totally eating it up. I loved slowly figuring out what the hell was going on. Tamsyn was very good at dropping hints and new mysteries every couple of pages. Most fun thing I've read in a while. I was really looking forward to Alecto next year, too, shame that it's going to be a year later than expected.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"I wrote Gideon focusing on an inevitably homoerotic relationship between every woman who stands next to another woman for more than five seconds."

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-butch-lesbian-sci-fi-aesthetic-a-conversation-with-tamsyn-muir/

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJOuUJNcx8

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

That is so good! Absolutely love it

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
powerful pearl energy

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

https://www.muddycolors.com/2020/07/the-skulls-of-gideon-the-ninth/

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Finished Gideon, found the whole thing quite enjoyable except for a fairly minor detail I hoped the Emperor will be more terrifying and dread inducing but he is kinda just a sad man

Now off to start Harrow!

LOL@ Necromantic aptitude: lesbian

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 2, 2020

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The Audible VO struggling with New Zealand slang ends up creating a bunch of moments that are funny for very different reasons than intended. Like don't get me wrong, she does a great job and Kiwi slang is weird as poo poo, it's just very funny to hear "You egg!" said like it's Elizabeth Bennet admonishing Mr. Darcy. It's a playground insult, it's like an equivalent of "buttmunch" or something and I think the original intent was to make them sound childish, but the VO delivers it with such tremendous gravitas.

There is also the phrase "lose her [ba]nana" which the VO reads as "lose her nanna" and bless her, nobody deserves to have to deal with New Zealand English and she's doing her best.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The Audible VO struggling with New Zealand slang ends up creating a bunch of moments that are funny for very different reasons than intended. Like don't get me wrong, she does a great job and Kiwi slang is weird as poo poo, it's just very funny to hear "You egg!" said like it's Elizabeth Bennet admonishing Mr. Darcy. It's a playground insult, it's like an equivalent of "buttmunch" or something and I think the original intent was to make them sound childish, but the VO delivers it with such tremendous gravitas.

There is also the phrase "lose her [ba]nana" which the VO reads as "lose her nanna" and bless her, nobody deserves to have to deal with New Zealand English and she's doing her best.

you know i cant grab your ghost chips gideon

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Chokkaz. With. Ghosts.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Although if I were to complain - someone should take thesaurus from her, she uses shitton of obscure words for no good reason IMO. I never had to use kindle's dictionary so often with any other book ever.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sekenr posted:

Although if I were to complain - someone should take thesaurus from her, she uses shitton of obscure words for no good reason IMO. I never had to use kindle's dictionary so often with any other book ever.

Y'know, when I was a kid, I loved it when I came across a word I didn't know in a book. Meant I was about to learn a new word!

And hey as it turns out I still do. I like words, words are cool. People should use more of them, imo :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I read some of Dorothy Dunnett's stuff as a teen (game of kings, queen's play), and had to look up so, so many words.

Didn't need to look up oriflamme, though, that I knew from a certain magic card.

Short story shorter, looking up words is fun and good.