Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

I like when the spider bounces the fly corpses out of the web and into oblivion. Pretty neat how it didn't seem to care about microgravity at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
At that kind of size scale, it's not very energy intensive to attach yourself to a surface. So it's the difference between using a miniscule amount of force on a couple of your legs to counteract earth gravity, vs not having to use any force to counteract microgravity.

Also spiders are probably some of the smartest insects in existence, they are predators after all. They're the most likely candidates to adapt to microgravity. Just they better hope that their prey can also adapt to microgravity, else there is no ecological niche for them at all.

Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix was a precursor to The Expanse, and one of the points they made was that space vessels and rotating colonies had to constantly worry about their ecological balances. So an economically depressed colony quickly transformed into a festering swamp, and the crew of a spaceship had a complement of pet cockroaches to consume and degrade dust and detritus and dead skin.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I'm having trouble finding the episode this is in, but I think it's season 3 where Dawes is on TV in the background (or maybe some main characters are watching it). It's framed like he's making another speech but really, it is just reused audio and maybe even footage from that scene in season 1 where some dockworkers are beating up a Martian and Dawes yells about giving the Martians their water and not to act like animals. Are we, the audience, supposed to think that Dawes only acted civil back then because he knew he was being filmed or are we not meant to recognize that scene and see it as just Dawes politicking back on Ceres or wherever he was but they didn't have any other usable footage of Jared Harris to use?

Am I totally misremembering this? I could swear I scrubbed through every episode to get a timecode for you guys, but I still couldn't find it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Roumba posted:

I'm having trouble finding the episode this is in, but I think it's season 3 where Dawes is on TV in the background (or maybe some main characters are watching it). It's framed like he's making another speech but really, it is just reused audio and maybe even footage from that scene in season 1 where some dockworkers are beating up a Martian and Dawes yells about giving the Martians their water and not to act like animals. Are we, the audience, supposed to think that Dawes only acted civil back then because he knew he was being filmed or are we not meant to recognize that scene and see it as just Dawes politicking back on Ceres or wherever he was but they didn't have any other usable footage of Jared Harris to use?

Am I totally misremembering this? I could swear I scrubbed through every episode to get a timecode for you guys, but I still couldn't find it.

I think you're misremembering a scene where he says "animals" in his distinctive Belter accent a couple of times...I always had the impression it was supposed to be a speech crafted from his spontaneous moment on the docks.

I want to say it's the episode when Miller has been captured by the OPA, before he goes to Eros?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm pretty sure the only time the "milowda na animals" speech gets shown again is when Julie's watching it on a screen in her room on Eros in season 1 episode 9. If it showed up again, I missed it. Either way, I don't think Dawes is interested in random freighter crews being harassed by OPA whether a camera's pointed at him or not since it doesn't really further the cause. He wants Ceres to remain a thriving port city that trades with everyone, he just wants to take over as governor.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Ah right, s1e9 @ 13:00, thanks. I guess I thought it was so much later in the show because of the rescene within a scene thing.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
This show has been great, so much in fact that I'm reading the books.

Did the show start with a lot of hype and then die down? The SyFy -> Amazon seems to be doing OK but between switching networks and realizing that AVClub just flat out stopped writing about it around Season 4, I'm wondering what viewership has been like.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Hed posted:

This show has been great, so much in fact that I'm reading the books.

Did the show start with a lot of hype and then die down? The SyFy -> Amazon seems to be doing OK but between switching networks and realizing that AVClub just flat out stopped writing about it around Season 4, I'm wondering what viewership has been like.

I don't even know if it really matters, 'cause if the richest man on the planet is a fan of your show and owns a streaming service, your show is never cancelled

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It only matters if he stops being entertained if he doesn't season 10 is going to get weird when they run out of books .

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

pixaal posted:

It only matters if he stops being entertained if he doesn't season 10 is going to get weird when they run out of books .
There is zero chance the show continues after the books. The ninth book will definitively end the series.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Right it is going to get weird as I said. You can't end the his favorite show if you want to work with Amazon again.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gobbeldygook posted:

There is zero chance the show continues after the books. The ninth book will definitively end the series.

and humanity, perhaps

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kesper North posted:

and humanity, perhaps

we'd only be so lucky

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Gobbeldygook posted:

They just released the name of the last book.

Leviathan Falls.

The authors have said they have a new sci-fi book series in mind that's more Dune-like. Somewhere, Brian Herbert got faint.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ha, nice way to close the loop there.

e: I'm a dumb, book-related speculation removed

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 17, 2020

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

There's also supposed to be two more novellas, right? One before and one after Book 9? Or did I imagine that?

E: Whoops, this isn't the book thread. :doh:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

MA-Horus posted:

They just released the name of the last book.

Leviathan Falls.

The authors have said they have a new sci-fi book series in mind that's more Dune-like. Somewhere, Brian Herbert got faint.

Hmm, did they specifically say that- "more Dune-like?"

'Cause if so, that'd make me think maybe it will take place in the same world/universe, just set like 10,000 years in the future."

That would be fun.

(Spoilered just in case)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They've been very clear that is not the case.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

Boo

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Grand Fromage posted:

But what if they're lying to hide some big reveal :thunk:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Dig that as an spin-off, ngl

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What they've said, condensed, is:

A) Good stories end, so The Expanse ends with book 9 + the novella/short stories they're writing as a coda.
B) Alcon's rights are different, so if they/Amazon want to make Expanse spin-offs for TV that's not really up to the authors.
C) They have no plans to revisit the setting once it's done, but they hopefully have decades of writing left ahead of them so never say never.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

What they've said, condensed, is:

A) Good stories end, so The Expanse ends with book 9 + the novella/short stories they're writing as a coda.
B) Alcon's rights are different, so if they/Amazon want to make Expanse spin-offs for TV that's not really up to the authors.
C) They have no plans to revisit the setting once it's done, but they hopefully have decades of writing left ahead of them so never say never.

Oh well. I'll still read whatever they come up with next. Probably not a good idea to keep doing the same thing anyway.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm honestly glad the expanse has an ending. It's not always good for a series to keep going.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
For example: Firefly

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The Simpsons in SPAAAAAAAACE Season 69

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

T-man posted:

The Simpsons in SPAAAAAAAACE Season 69

Archer in space was pretty good.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pixaal posted:

Archer in space was pretty good.

Archer in space was exactly as good as Archer on earth. And exactly the same characters. And the same jokes.

I can't possibly tell you which series of Archer is better than another, because they all feel identical. It's like a webcomic in that nothing seems to change.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bit we got Matt Berry as Mr Deadly

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Archer in space was exactly as good as Archer on earth. And exactly the same characters. And the same jokes.

I can't possibly tell you which series of Archer is better than another, because they all feel identical. It's like a webcomic in that nothing seems to change.

I just haven't liked any version of Archer since they abandoned the spy storyline.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Organic Lube User posted:

I just haven't liked any version of Archer since they abandoned the spy storyline.

they're back to it this season

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

they're back to it this season

I should pick it up again then. I checked out after the baffling conclusion of the danger island season and just didn't bother watching the space one or whatever came after that.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

CPColin posted:

For example: Firefly

Harsh, but fair.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
NYCC has an Expanse panel. They showed off a trailer for Season 5, release date - December 16 - and release schedule, which is first 3 episodes on the 16th and episodes released weekly, following other Amazon shows I guess.

And unsurprisingly Cas Anvar was not on the panel.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Dreylad posted:

NYCC has an Expanse panel. They showed off a trailer for Season 5, release date - December 16 - and release schedule, which is first 3 episodes on the 16th and episodes released weekly, following other Amazon shows I guess.

And unsurprisingly Cas Anvar was not on the panel.

Woo nice! I'm so glad they'd wrapped up filming by the time covid started.

Was there ever any updates on the whole Cas Anvar thing? The last I heard Alcon was starting an investigation but nothing since.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGGPP3qJA2h/?igshid=yqm3zjkpmeh5

Wes posted the video to his Instagram. It's pretty loving impressive and I am hyped.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
TIME FOR MY FAVORITE BOOK IN THE WHOLE SERIES, I'M HYPE AS gently caress SORRY.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Also hyped!!! Recently started book 7 also. Going to be a good winter after all.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I am hype as gently caress for Amos and Peaches in the wasteland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CommanderApaul posted:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGGPP3qJA2h/?igshid=yqm3zjkpmeh5

Wes posted the video to his Instagram. It's pretty loving impressive and I am hyped.

Oh my god this looks incredible