Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

MourningView posted:

I barely follow hockey but hasn't their thing recently been being really awesome in the regular season and then falling apart in the playoffs
Just last year, they've now gone to the 3rd round 4 times in the past 6 years, didn't make it to the playoffs the other year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, I get what they're going for, it just seems silly to me because it seems to be putting an emphasis on the time, when 5 years to make finals is a really short time. I just see it a lot, like first time team has thrown a no hitter in three years, when that is kind of short period of time for something like that. I think it's just something that doesn't need to be said in a headline. Like 20 years? Sure, that actually seems worth saying something.

"Lightning Make Second Stanley Cup Final in Five Years" would emphasize the impressiveness instead of insinuating a long struggle.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Big fedora guy energy
https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/1307668142429220864?s=19

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Glad to see Whitlock adding "incel" to his repertoire. It really compliments his ability to make racists more comfortable with themselves.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aggro posted:

I mean, the staff of Defector cover womens sports have historically covered them at a far greater clip than their contemporaries than, well, every sports site in history. So, I have the utmost confidence that they will. Giri will have many words about the US Open tomorrow.

For anything more, youd probably need a site that only covers womens sports.

Aggro posted:

Why would they do that? The NFL is a media behemoth that towers in popularity over every other major league in the United States. Magary is one of the sites biggest draws, and he is primarily a football writer. The NFL just had its season-opening weekend, and many of the games were very good. They want to attract readers and keep them engaged...why not write about football?

I love that Defector can cover major sports and also have an article or two a day on less popular sports. I also enjoy the occasional long form on a sport that I couldnt care less about (snooker, darts, rugby sevens, cornhole, whatever).

If there was a strong enough demand for an all-obscure sports or all-womens sports blog, Im sure it would exist.

Women are 51% of the population and you talk about them like they're some weird niche pizza topping people would only resort to after they'd gotten bored of pineapple and corn.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Huego posted:

Women are 51% of the population and you talk about them like they're some weird niche pizza topping people would only resort to after they'd gotten bored of pineapple and corn.

I hope they cover women's sports more often but this is real bad logic. If 51% of the population cared about the WNBA they'd be covered everywhere

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

morestuff posted:

I hope they cover women's sports more often but this is real bad logic. If 51% of the population cared about the WNBA they'd be covered everywhere

for as we know, everyone is born with an innate list of hobbies, and marketing and media have absolutely no influence whatsoever. oh, how I would love to watch baseball, but sadly I was born a horseshoes-thrower and I'll die a horseshoes-thrower.

anyone else about to hitch up their cargo jorts and chide me that the way the world Is is the way it has Always Been and always Must Be can spare me. it's not natural to consider half the population an afterthought. that's a state of affairs that's been built and actively maintained by people like Aggro and you.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Huego posted:

for as we know, everyone is born with an innate list of hobbies, and marketing and media have absolutely no influence whatsoever. oh, how I would love to watch baseball, but sadly I was born a horseshoes-thrower and I'll die a horseshoes-thrower.

anyone else about to hitch up their cargo jorts and chide me that the way the world Is is the way it has Always Been and always Must Be can spare me. it's not natural to consider half the population an afterthought. that's a state of affairs that's been built and actively maintained by people like Aggro and you.

ok

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

man imagine having the balls to criticize anyone elses sense of humor when youre jason whitlock

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Huego posted:

Defectors primary purpose is to sell subscriptions. If they have quality writing about more niche sports and that stuff finds an audience, then great, but its not their job or the best use of their resources to go out of the way to create increased interest in other sports.

They have a finite number of writers with a finite number of hours in the day, priority number 1 is always going to be getting clicks.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

"aroused bloggers" is Jason telling on himself.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Not that it should matter but Maria Taylor was a significantly better college athlete than either Whitlock or Doug Gottlieb who also made an rear end of himself about this yesterday

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Dog posted:

Defectors primary purpose is to sell subscriptions. If they have quality writing about more niche sports and that stuff finds an audience, then great, but its not their job or the best use of their resources to go out of the way to create increased interest in other sports.

They have a finite number of writers with a finite number of hours in the day, priority number 1 is always going to be getting clicks.

Oh so, if I get you right, this is just the way things Are and therefore the way they Must Be.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Huego posted:

Oh so, if I get you right, this is just the way things Are and therefore the way they Must Be.

If the WNBA commanded as much attention as the NFL, it would be a better use of resources. But it isn't.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AsInHowe posted:

If the WNBA commanded as much attention as the NFL, it would be a better use of resources. But it isn't.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Defector does not have the means to unilaterally change how It Is, and to be viable under the correct subscription model must cater its coverage accordingly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Thats kind of silly, there is no reason to assume covering something more actually effects subs.

Covering something would but outside that its a bit of an assumption

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Dog posted:

Defector does not have the means to unilaterally change how It Is, and to be viable under the correct subscription model must cater its coverage accordingly.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Thats kind of silly, there is no reason to assume covering something more actually effects subs.

Covering something would but outside that its a bit of an assumption

If you were considering subscribing to a site that posted about 10-12 articles per day, and 4-6 of those articles were reliably about something that you have no existing knowledge of or interest in (lets say, for example, motor sports), would that have no impact on your decision?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not really I would only read an article a day at that. There aint that much to talk about in sports

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Huego posted:

Yeah, the business model that caters to a group of people is going after what the majority of people want coverage of, so the bulk of it goes that way. Because that's how things work.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Yeah, the business model that caters to a group of people is going after what the majority of people want coverage of, so the bulk of it goes that way. Because that's how things work.

Cmon man, you know the response youre going to get at this point.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/katienolan/status/1307729899780792320

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Defector is beginning to put out posts about womens sports and Ive enjoyed reading them. I stopped following the NFL years ago and usually pass on their football articles, but I also get why theyre pumping them out.

I think holding Defector to such a high standard of inclusiveness as theyre getting off the ground, when we know they worked towards it at Deadspin, is a little too harsh.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dinosaurs! posted:

Defector is beginning to put out posts about womens sports and Ive enjoyed reading them. I stopped following the NFL years ago and usually pass on their football articles, but I also get why theyre pumping them out.

I think holding Defector to such a high standard of inclusiveness as theyre getting off the ground, when we know they worked towards it at Deadspin, is a little too harsh.

i think its okay to hold a thing that you are a direct subscriber and supporter of to a higher standard, especially considering that they have their own editorial standards and arent beholden to anyone except for (wait for it) the subscribers

so if you dont want to subscribe to it because it doesnt have enough womens sports coverage, thats valid. you can choose to subscribe later if they add more or not at all if they dont. you are not ethically required to foot the bill for defector if youre not happy with it, and its okay to express dissatisfaction with it given their high number of women on staff

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Thats absolutely fair. I dont blame anyone for not subscribing or cancelling if Defector isnt covering what they want. I simultaneously think theyre allowed a little leeway while finding their new groove.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Defectors been pretty great so far and they wrote about the Lynx before the Timberwolves which is as it should be. Really happy I subscribed.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

lol did Whitlock really think he was gonna say that without getting his teeth kicked in

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

AsInHowe posted:

so you're saying they should stick to sports

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

so you're saying they should stick to sports

What in the whole deadpan affair would give you the idea that sticking to sports is what people want in their coverage?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Didnt realize there were so many womens sports fans on SAS. Cant seem to find our wnba playoffs thread though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wow someone unironically did that Bors comic, weird

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

lol did Whitlock really think he was gonna say that without getting his teeth kicked in
lol remember when he wanted to edit Ta-Nehisi Coates?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Adun posted:

Didnt realize there were so many womens sports fans on SAS. Cant seem to find our wnba playoffs thread though.

bud, it's not hard to cop to not being into women's sports and also realize that perhaps the reason for that is lack of exposure and indoctrination.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

lol remember when he wanted to edit Ta-Nehisi Coates?

My god, no I don't remember that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Neodoomium posted:

My god, no I don't remember that

He wanted him to write for the undefeated back when the plan for that was still for it to be Whitlock's vanity site, and when Coates turned him down Whitlock lost his mind even more and started tweeting constantly about Coates being one of the dreaded Fake Wokes who was lying to black people. That and the Greg Howard black QB piece that called him out for a few paragraphs really seem to be what sent him over the edge.

Mr. Fix It posted:

bud, it's not hard to cop to not being into women's sports and also realize that perhaps the reason for that is lack of exposure and indoctrination.

I think it would be good for everyone to cover women's sports more but it seems weird to act like defector, which does it better than any mainstream site, is the problem here, or act like a fledgling subscription only website putting out a few more WNBA pieces is going to be the thing that causes the WNBA to overtake the NFL.

Anyway for like the 10,000 time the reason it seemed especially NFL heavy in the first few days is because they timed the launch to coincide with the start of the season and were trying to fit like two months of Magarey content into two weeks to make up for lost time.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 21, 2020

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

MourningView posted:

I think it would be good for everyone to cover women's sports more but it seems weird to act like defector, which does it better than any mainstream site, is the problem here, or act like a fledgling subscription only website putting out a few more WNBA pieces is going to be the thing that causes the WNBA to overtake the NFL.

Anyway for like the 10,000 time the reason it seemed especially NFL heavy in the first few days is because they timed the launch to coincide with the start of the season and were trying to fit like two months of Magarey content into two weeks to make up for lost time.

oh yeah, i'm not on board with that particular criticism of defector. i'm happy with the output so far and will happily continue my subscription next year at this rate.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

MourningView posted:

He wanted him to write for the undefeated back when the plan for that was still for it to be Whitlock's vanity site, and when Coates turned him down Whitlock lost his mind even more and started tweeting constantly about Coates being one of the dreaded Fake Wokes who was lying to black people. That and the Greg Howard black QB piece that called him out for a few paragraphs really seem to be what sent him over the edge.

What a colossal loser. He posted some more bullshit about Katie Nolan today but who wants to read that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah Nolan had to lock her twitter because I assume all of the losers who are desperate for the approval of Clay Travis were harassing her for talking back to Whitlock, seems really cool!