Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Guys the sound is an alternate timeline failed Crystal Tower playing the vuvuzela.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Holy poo poo I never knew I wanted a Soken version of the Zeal theme until this second

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm hoping for Chrono Trigger raids, just because you know the second one will have Magus' theme in it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Since we're talking about 7.0, that gives us at least three years gap.

No this will probably be happening in 6.0 given how 5.3 ends with Zenos talking about setting the whole world ablaze and you and him dancing in front of a pyre and he's having constant dreams of the Final Days where The Sound is wreaking havoc on the world which is actively on fire.

Full expect him to Yank control of heartless zodiark now t o break it to fight you with its power as the end of 5.5 and then OOPS Fandaniel just wants chaos cause gently caress all this.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What is The Sound? I'm done with 5.3 but I don't remember that at all.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Phenotype posted:

What is The Sound? I'm done with 5.3 but I don't remember that at all.

We don't know much about it but after a mysterious sound Amaurotine creation magic got somewhat messed up and the resulting panic significantly snowballed it into the end of Amaurot

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Poor ol’ Amaurot, thought of goblins and died.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/tales_from_the_shadows/sidestory_04/#sidestory_04
What happens in this sidestory makes me think that the Sound could be something the ancients unintentionally created.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I still think, of those stories, the best one was the Seto one because I'm a sucker for those kinds of stories.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tekne posted:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/tales_from_the_shadows/sidestory_04/#sidestory_04
What happens in this sidestory makes me think that the Sound could be something the ancients unintentionally created.

I think that's been the implication so far, that their creation magic got out of control somehow and a collective panic just made everything worse. Of course they created Zodiark too, so even if there's no underlying thing there that had an objective existence to begin with, that doesn't mean it isn't real now, and potentially a threat again once mom and dad crystal stop fighting. I'm kind of hoping for a twist that demonstrates there's more to reality than just the Ascians though, since it's sad to think we might have run out of big cosmological reveals otherwise.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I think that's been the implication so far, that their creation magic got out of control somehow and a collective panic just made everything worse. Of course they created Zodiark too, so even if there's no underlying thing there that had an objective existence to begin with, that doesn't mean it isn't real now, and potentially a threat again once mom and dad crystal stop fighting. I'm kind of hoping for a twist that demonstrates there's more to reality than just the Ascians though, since it's sad to think we might have run out of big cosmological reveals otherwise.

We already know that there's other life in the universe, Dragons and Omega both come from other planets.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hunter Noventa posted:

We already know that there's other life in the universe, Dragons and Omega both come from other planets.

Which is presumably why they have godlike power compared to the sundered Source natives.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 20, 2020

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
The things we know about the sound are this: It came from underground, it mutated non-ancients exposed to it, it made ancients lose control of their creation magic, it originated outside of Amaurot and travelled towards it over time, hitting at least one non-amaurotian city across the sea first.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hope we get to fight in in 6.x.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Xarbala posted:

I hope we get to fight in in 6.x.

It'll likely be in 7.X. With the way they've laid everything out in the storyline, I'm betting that 6.X will involve finally wrapping up Garlemald - including dealing with Zenos and Zodiark once and for all - with 7.X then seguing into a new threat (Lavos/Jenova/whatever) over in the New World, where it supposedly originated.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 20, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vermain posted:

It'll likely be in 7.X. With the way they've laid everything out in the storyline, I'm betting that 6.X will involve finally wrapping up Garlemald - including dealing with Zenos and Zodiark once and for all - with 7.X then seguing into a new threat (Lavos/Jenova/whatever) over in the New World, where it supposedly originated.

Zenos is talking about setting the world ablaze as a pyre on your stage to fight one another while having dreams of Aumorant on fire from The Sound induced panic. Combine this with Fandaniel's general insanity and the facts that Zenos Can control primals, Zodiark is a primal with no driving core anymore, AND zodiark is what's holding The Sound back, I say we're gonna end 5.5 slap fighting zenos and then the Voice pops out and garlemald gets hosed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you don't have to use spoiler tags in the spoiler thread

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

We got the blue print from An Lad

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think it's extremely unlikely that Zodiark is going to be dealt with or skipped over in patch content for this expansion. Either Zenos or Fandaniel could end up being absorbed as Zodiark's heart in a way that represents a defeat for them rather than a victory, but I think we're going to be dealing with Zodiark as an awakened primal in some form or another before we move on to the Sound or whatever comes next. Still not sure if I think crystal mom is going to be something we have to deal with before we move on too--she's still been presented in a fairly positive light so far, even if some things we thought we knew about her weren't true.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 20, 2020

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sinteres posted:

I think it's extremely unlikely that Zodiark is going to be dealt with or skipped over in patch content for this expansion.

I don't think he'll be ignored, but they're not going to do much with him until 6.X. My reasoning is that they've been setting up Zenos to be the big showdown villain of the entire Ascian arc for a while now, and while I fully expect for him to follow through on his plan to absorb Zodiark, doing so in the pre-patch would immediately crank the stakes up to the max and not give a lot of room for the threat to grow during the 6.0 storyline.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I suspect the next two patches will be mostly concerned with preparing to venture into Ilsabard

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's always an extra swerve in the lead-in patches. Like I doubt we'll be finishing off Zodiark or The Sound in 5.55, but there's gonna be something that comes up that keeps it from being merely a straight shot to Garlemald.
Heck, it always affects the Scions, too. I hope Riol gets to report in okay... :ohdear:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My prediction is zodiark dies in 6.0, and hydaelyn dies in 6.3

Fandaniel could go anywhere. As early as 5.5, as late as the level 90 story dungeon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

cheetah7071 posted:

My prediction is zodiark dies in 6.0, and hydaelyn dies in 6.3

Fandaniel could go anywhere. As early as 5.5, as late as the level 90 story dungeon

Is there any reason to kill hydaelyn though? Besides bloodlust

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

thetoughestbean posted:

Primals eat aether and with zodiark dead her purpose for existence is gone

I mean the story might not go that direction, I just think it's reasonably likely

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

cheetah7071 posted:

Primals eat aether and with zodiark dead her purpose for existence is gone

I mean the story might not go that direction, I just think it's reasonably likely

Primals made by sundered folks do. Hydaelyn’s been around since forever and hasn’t eaten everything

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

thetoughestbean posted:

No gods no masters no primals.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SirSamVimes posted:

No gods no masters no primals.

I said besides bloodlust

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

thetoughestbean posted:

Primals made by sundered folks do. Hydaelyn’s been around since forever and hasn’t eaten everything

Hydaelyn probably told you that, didn't she?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zodiark represents darkness and Hydaelyn represents light and we literally just had an entire expansion about how too much light is bad

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The far more likely scenario is that she simply burns herself out completely helping you fight off Zenodiark. It'd put a nice, neat bow onto the whole storyline.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FFXIV is in no way shape or form poorly written enough to do the dumb cliche "Surprise the big good you thought was good was secretly evil all along"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It's not even a secretly evil thing. Without Zodiark for her to keep in check, and likewise keeping her in check, she'd run rampant by her very nature as a primal.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

It's not even a secretly evil thing. Without Zodiark for her to keep in check, and likewise keeping her in check, she'd run rampant by her very nature as a primal.

The whole aether-swilling thing the "standard" Primals do is a consequence of them having no aether to keep them around aside from ambient aether. Ones created by the Ancients - including Hydaelyn and Zodiark - were powered by the incredible aether of the Ancients' souls and therefore don't require it to survive.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hydaelyn doesn't necessarily have to be actively evil for her sacrifice to be necessary to keep some form of balance. I don't think finding out the Echo isn't as special as we thought it was as part of her blessing is the last revelation we'll get about her either way, though I still don't know if the direction we're heading is to find out she has to go or that she has good intentions and is worth revering despite perhaps having some flaws. I'm leaning toward thinking fighting her would be kind of ridiculous and won't happen, but I go back and forth on it.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Vermain posted:

The far more likely scenario is that she simply burns herself out completely helping you fight off Zenodiark. It'd put a nice, neat bow onto the whole storyline.

Yeah this is the most likely scenario. We get saved by her in a big climactic moment like with Ardbert vs Emet at the end of 5.0

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Do we even really know what the Blessing of Light is?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

erenoyo posted:

Emet-Selch suggested it could be that we're tempered by Hydaelyn just as he was by Zodiark, which would make us immune to tempering by other primals. He could have been wrong, but we do conveniently have anti-tempering technology now if we need to be reprogrammed. I don't think it'll be that blatant though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

erenoyo posted:

It grants you some vaguely-defined protections against the Ascians and various cutscene powers when appropriate.

Sinteres posted:

Emet-Selch suggested it could be that we're tempered by Hydaelyn just as he was by Zodiark, which would make us immune to tempering by other primals. He could have been wrong, but we do conveniently have anti-tempering technology now if we need to be reprogrammed. I don't think it'll be that blatant though.

The Echo is what grants people protection from tempering. Given what Emet says about being tempered, it seems to be a simple matter of how powerful your soul is relative to the Primal's. The average Ancient was completely immune to tempering and could control Primals with ease, but Zodiark was so vastly above and beyond a standard Primal that even an Ancient soul stood no chance.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 20, 2020