Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I like rooting against Bryson too but if he can swing that fast while maintaining his accuracy and short game then he deserves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kirios posted:

Sorry but if you got a Nobel Prize for golf Bryson would win it.
He can also explain left brain right brain better than neuroscientists

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
The “the rough is so thick if you don’t hit fairways you’ll never be able to score” crowd forgot that these guys aren’t hitting 3 woods out of the rough, they’re hitting wedges.

Bryson is the best player this week whether you like him or not. He’s driving well, putting well, and hitting irons well. Everyone told him his schtick would never work in the majors and here it is, dominating the hardest major.

Wait until he gets to Augusta.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Suprfli6 posted:

I like rooting against Bryson too but if he can swing that fast while maintaining his accuracy and short game then he deserves it.

i won't dispute his performance but jeez, you'd think "add muscle and hit ball farther" was Newton figuring out gravity

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Daric posted:

The “the rough is so thick if you don’t hit fairways you’ll never be able to score” crowd forgot that these guys aren’t hitting 3 woods out of the rough, they’re hitting wedges.

Bryson is the best player this week whether you like him or not. He’s driving well, putting well, and hitting irons well. Everyone told him his schtick would never work in the majors and here it is, dominating the hardest major.

Wait until he gets to Augusta.

He won't make the cut at Augusta, my hot take.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Dormant August is gonna be pretty cool to watch no matter who plays well. I just hope they dial back the birdsong soundtrack (they won't).

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
he won't make it past 30 with that swing :corsair:

his back and hips are going to disintegrate

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 20, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder if the USGA is gonna roll the ball back now.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

he won't make it past 30 with that swing :corsair:

Wolff or DeChambeau, honestly. I may be weird but I love watching Bryson play - he's so unique that I find him entertaining.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The real "negative" (if you can call it that) is stuff like one length or his extreme one plane swing, that were once considered gimmicky, are here to stay.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kirios posted:

The real "negative" (if you can call it that) is stuff like one length or his extreme one plane swing, that were once considered gimmicky, are here to stay.

Regular joes rushing out to get the gimmicky thing that one golfer uses well has been a thing as long as golf has been televised. Wasn't that long ago that everyone and their mother suddenly absolutely had to have a belly putter or one of the crazy long ones

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I get what you're saying but as someone who does game one length right now...there is certainly something to it. I think it goes beyond gimmick, personally.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Kirios posted:

Wolff or DeChambeau, honestly. I may be weird but I love watching Bryson play - he's so unique that I find him entertaining.

i think if he just played faster and gave the commentators less time for the smartest man in the universe poo poo it would be way better lol. he seems like an interesting player otherwise and clearly a good one but being good never stopped me from resenting an athlete and it never will!!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Holy poo poo that drive from Bryson. :stare:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

That drive was insane.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
golf is a game for gentlemen not roided out circus freaks with bad hats

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Wolff is spraying it everywhere now

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bryson's earned it - moment was a little much for Wolff. He's gonna be a regular in majors for the next 5-10 years though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

One thing I was surprised people didn’t talk about yesterday was that he shot 74 on Friday between rounds of 66 and 65. I think as this round is showing, his swing is too timing based which means he can be super off.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This is turning into one of the largest victory gaps in US Open history.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welp my bet that the winning score would be -1 or higher would’ve been good if not for Nobel Laureate in Golf Bryson BAD DeChambeau

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kirios posted:

This is turning into one of the largest victory gaps in US Open history.
8 times the margin of victory has been 7 strokes or more.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
One player is going to finish Sunday with red numbers. Maybe two players will finish under par for the tournament. Bryson deserves the win, but Jesus I can't root against him hard enough.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

torgeaux posted:

One player is going to finish Sunday with red numbers. Maybe two players will finish under par for the tournament. Bryson deserves the win, but Jesus I can't root against him hard enough.

you have to admit he's a well written heel though. it's super easy to hate him.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

you have to admit he's a well written heel though. it's super easy to hate him.

It's not even that. Watching him play is irritating, exceeded by listening to him talk about his game.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

You're up 6 dude. Just end it.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Wiltsghost posted:

You're up 6 dude. Just end it.

But the sprinkler!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

My only real complaint with Bryson is his pace of play, but that's like 90% of tour players so whatever, I guess. The rest of the time he's incredibly entertaining to watch almost no matter what he does. Dude missed the cut at Memorial this year by taking a 10, then tried to argue he should get relief from some random ants because they were burrowing animals, etc. etc. So few people on tour dare to have any sort of personality so I'm all in on this.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Bryson was the best golfer this week, no question about that. Only guy under par today. I hope we see some guys like Finau who have speed in the bag change their approach going forward just trying to emulate what Bryson has done this week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Bryson was the best golfer this week, no question about that. Only guy under par today. I hope we see some guys like Finau who have speed in the bag change their approach going forward just trying to emulate what Bryson has done this week.
Yeah Finau posted a 203mph ball speed shot on social media. He can and should go harder.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I posit that Bryson's putting is the second half of his new equation. Finau can keep up off tee (and Wolff was no slouch at ALL today, either), but Bryson has been an incredible putter the past year or more.

Finau is NOT a great putter.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He’ll go home now and spend 36 hours trying to find the most appropriate spot for the trophy in his house

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

gently caress it I'm taking DeChambeau as my boy from now on.

One length mafia reigns supreme

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

I posit that Bryson's putting is the second half of his new equation. Finau can keep up off tee (and Wolff was no slouch at ALL today, either), but Bryson has been an incredible putter the past year or more.

Yeah his short game is definitely underrated.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Kameh posted:

You are absolutely right. But there were a few drives today where Wolff was 5-10 mph slower ball speed with his driver and still ended up past Bryson's drive just because he got more run and therefore total distance. There are definitely other guys on the tour who are capable of carrying the ball over 300 with medium launch and low spin and getting ~330 total with run. But combining that with great putting is definitely a big ask, and it'll be interesting to see if anybody gives it a run.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

horizontal parents lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah ordinarily, Bryson would be the newest in the long line of of Long Bombers Who Can't Putt For poo poo but he's great on the green

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

You know it's an emotional win when Bryson forgets some of his sponsors.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anno posted:

You know it's an emotional win when Bryson forgets some of his sponsors.

lol

ok so who are we giving money to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wanted to see what Bryson said before they cut him off :mad:

Congrats to Dr. Capco for winning the pool!