Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Edifier did look good. Thanks, I'll look around their stuff. Everything seems to have Bluetooth in the title, but on a closer look that's just one option among others.

Yeah I don’t think anything forces you to use Bluetooth. It’s a nice option to have though; if you ever want to connect your phone up to stream music or something for a party.

The models with ‘S’ at the beginning of the name are the higher quality ones vs the one with ‘r’ at the beginning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I decided to compromise and go for one of Edifier's cheaper offerings, and if they turn out to suit my needs well enough I'll look into them again next time I feel confident in upgrading. First impressions are quite good.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hi, hope this is the right thread for this question:

I've got a set of logitech z506 5.1 speakers and have only been using the front 3.1 for the last few years. I've just made some space for the rear 2 and they work for surround sound in games and whatnot, but it would be nice to have music in virtual surround / just copying the front left and right or whatever.

They're plugged in through the 3.5 cables to the onboard sound, and their realtek settings don't have Dolby Digital, like the digital output settings do, or 'spatial fill'.

Is there a program that will push sound through to the rear speakers, or a simple digital (or usb) -> 3.5/RCA DAC? that will do well enough? Thanks!

e: Tried 'Boom 3d' and 'Bongiovi DTS' which enhance headphones and desktop speaker setups. The former put music through to the rear speakers but act like they're working with the front two, so you can't change balance / speaker positions etc. oh well

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 9, 2020

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
There is a foobar plugin for doing this with music I use that works decent and it lets me send full range to my full range surrounds. Have you looked into a nicer sound card?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I've been looking into edifier speakers and they seem like a great value, but I'm a little confused about which would be right for my needs. Budget is around $100 and I'm planning on using them for gaming and music in my home office which is about 10' x 10'. I don't need Bluetooth, although sure if I can get it within my budget and cut down on wires. Are the ones marketed as gaming speakers actually worth it or should I be looking at the monitors instead?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 17, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have the Edifier 1280 that is about $100 on Amazon and I think you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding powered speaker at that price. I haven't listened to the Ed gaming speakers. 1280 sound a lot better than the creative, logitech, etc, computer speakers in that price range.

Although, an annoying problem has cropped up where I'm playing a game and there is a static pop and I lose sound. I have to quit and restart the game to get sound back. Hoping it's not a speaker issue but I never had that issue with headphones or previous speakers. So if anyone has insight on that, I need to start troubleshooting.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I had an issue where my Xonar would pop but only once after bootup and only on the first use after bootup, it comes and goes and seems to be caused and cured by windows update cycles. I have it plugged into the 7.1 in on my Denon and I would have to turn it off or change inputs or it would make all the speakers go pop and trip off.

When did your issue pop up, after a windows update?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Just wondering what are the recommendations for new PC speakers now, looking to update my old Logitech THX 2.1 z2300s setup for a newer one. Its been good but is kinda battered now and not sure what people recommend for the money now - I'm in the UK so think my options differ slightly from US - Klipsch Promedia 2.1 still seem to come up a lot but cannot get them in the UK.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Budget?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Hmm I'll say about £300 - I was tempted to stretch to about 500 and possibly get some studio monitors and a DAC but the DAC thing was a bit of a headache so 300 is good and lets me put more on my new display.

Thanks!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SpeedFreek posted:

I had an issue where my Xonar would pop but only once after bootup and only on the first use after bootup, it comes and goes and seems to be caused and cured by windows update cycles. I have it plugged into the 7.1 in on my Denon and I would have to turn it off or change inputs or it would make all the speakers go pop and trip off.

When did your issue pop up, after a windows update?

Hard to say, I just moved those Edifiers to my PC. It's only happened twice.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

SpeedFreek posted:

There is a foobar plugin for doing this with music I use that works decent and it lets me send full range to my full range surrounds. Have you looked into a nicer sound card?

I'll look into this, thanks! Currently trying to preserve those good-enough speakers and my mini-itx setup, which only has room for a gpu card, but yeah if there was a good external one with 5.1 out, not just headphones, I'd be keen.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Blackfyre posted:

Hmm I'll say about £300 - I was tempted to stretch to about 500 and possibly get some studio monitors and a DAC but the DAC thing was a bit of a headache so 300 is good and lets me put more on my new display.

Thanks!

Let me know if any other info would help with a rec!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you have space the JBL LSR305 are great and look like they’re within budget. You don’t necessarily need a DAC if your system’s output doesn’t have problems. You can just stick an attenuator thing between the system and the monitors: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-...enuator&sr=8-16

Things to be aware of would be that some people notice a slight hiss from the tweeters on the LSR305 at close range, they are fairly large, each one has its own power cable, and you’ll need XLR or TRS cables to hook them up the the volume knob.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

powderific posted:

If you have space the JBL LSR305 are great and look like they’re within budget. You don’t necessarily need a DAC if your system’s output doesn’t have problems. You can just stick an attenuator thing between the system and the monitors: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-...enuator&sr=8-16

Things to be aware of would be that some people notice a slight hiss from the tweeters on the LSR305 at close range, they are fairly large, each one has its own power cable, and you’ll need XLR or TRS cables to hook them up the the volume knob.

I'm very very happy with the 305s I got last year, but if you can spring the extra $100 ($50 per speaker) I hear the Adam T5Vs are better/the new self-powered desktop kings

Edit: Also attenuators/passive preamps are great and all, but if you also don't have a good headphone out I'd recommend springing for one of the several headphone amp/desktop preamp combos that have popped up in the last few years. Something like a Magni 3/Heresy or the new Magnius with balanced ins and outs will get you two birds stoned at once.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 19, 2020

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

wormil posted:

I have the Edifier 1280 that is about $100 on Amazon and I think you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding powered speaker at that price. I haven't listened to the Ed gaming speakers. 1280 sound a lot better than the creative, logitech, etc, computer speakers in that price range.

Although, an annoying problem has cropped up where I'm playing a game and there is a static pop and I lose sound. I have to quit and restart the game to get sound back. Hoping it's not a speaker issue but I never had that issue with headphones or previous speakers. So if anyone has insight on that, I need to start troubleshooting.

Just reporting back to say that I went with the 1280Ts and these are absolutely fantastic. Thanks for the advice thread!

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

powderific posted:

Heya, thanks for this its super helpful - think my system's output would let me down here though, right now I only have a sound card which I would be outputting from without another external amp etc - being able to use that with the HS5s or something would be grand but I thought I would need a better DAC etc etc to drive it. What kind of output should I be looking at using?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Blackfyre posted:

Heya, thanks for this its super helpful - think my system's output would let me down here though, right now I only have a sound card which I would be outputting from without another external amp etc - being able to use that with the HS5s or something would be grand but I thought I would need a better DAC etc etc to drive it. What kind of output should I be looking at using?

Wait, do you already have a set of HS5s?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Wait, do you already have a set of HS5s?

No that was just my reference as they are the ones I heard and have been offered second hand (£150 for the pair which seemed really good?) and had seen set up sorry for the confusion! I currently only have my creative sound card as my sound output on my PC though so not sure what I need in terms of output assuming monitors are the way to go? Im not against getting other speakers or 2.1 setups within my budget that are worth it I'm finding it a lot more confusing than I did 10 years ago!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can get by with just a breakout cable like this: Hosa CMP-153 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Stereo Breakout Cable, 3 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068O3C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_b55zFbV43VRT1

But you’ll have to do all volume control in the PC and that can be a pain for whatever reason, which is where the volume attenuator I linked above can come in (I would get one if I were you.) It’s possible that your sound card output will not sound as good as you like, for noise or whatever reason, in which case you can look at an external DAC setup of some kind. But you don’t have to start with an external DAC, you can just try your existing sound card first.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I bought my Yamaha msp5 studio monitors second hand two for the price of one new one and I'm extremely happy with them. I certainly have confidence in the brand to produce a decent speaker, or at least very competitive with whatever else is available at the price point.

£150 for a pair of hs5 seems pretty good, if you can persuade the seller to show them in action before you fork out the money.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I bought my Yamaha msp5 studio monitors second hand two for the price of one new one and I'm extremely happy with them. I certainly have confidence in the brand to produce a decent speaker, or at least very competitive with whatever else is available at the price point.

£150 for a pair of hs5 seems pretty good, if you can persuade the seller to show them in action before you fork out the money.

Cool, do you have any recommendation for setups etc? just using a volume knob and cabling to fit into my soundcard sounds good in theory but I'm worried about noise etc.

If these speakers are no good are there any other in budget options? I did a bit of googling and saw the Audioengine A2s recommended but their built in amp didnt seem great, going to 48Khz not 98? I'm not the best audio guy so hoping others would have better info here.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Blackfyre posted:

Cool, do you have any recommendation for setups etc? just using a volume knob and cabling to fit into my soundcard sounds good in theory but I'm worried about noise etc.

If these speakers are no good are there any other in budget options? I did a bit of googling and saw the Audioengine A2s recommended but their built in amp didnt seem great, going to 48Khz not 98? I'm not the best audio guy so hoping others would have better info here.

If it were myself in your position, I’d look at getting a Schiit Magni (either the 3 or the Heresy are good, pick the finish you like best, you won’t notice the architecture differences in practice) + Modi stack for $200/whatever they cost in the UK. That will get you an attractive set of a really good DAC + speaker preamp/volume knob + headphone amp that will drive 99% of whatever you want more than adequately.

If $200 strikes you as too much, a Schiit Fulla combines the functions of a DAC and headphone amp/speaker pre and big knob with less overall performance and less flexibility with inputs (USB + 3.5mm only) but for under $100. It also adds a convenient mic line for your gaming/WFH needs. The Hel is the Fulla’s bigger sibling for like $180, but at that point I’d personally choose a Magni/Modi stack but that’s just me. If I want to use a mic I have wireless+USB options or I run it through my prosumer mixer. YMMV.

Other competing brands like SMSL/etc have similar offerings but I don’t think anything in that price bracket matches the polish of the newest Schiit mini-stacks right now, nor do they seem to test quite as well. Some goons do prefer those other brands though, and some goons think Schiit is overrated because 1) hype 2) some design choices in old products of theirs.

If you want to step up a tier from the mini stack, the new Modius DAC (and its complementary Magnius amp/pre) add balanced XLR ins and outs. Also the Magnius apparently has a really nice knob that people want to talk about. Each is double the price of its smaller sibling ($200 a pop).

XLR is how I would personally connect my monitor speakers but, again, that’s me and it’s probably overkill for your needs- but it will also definitely cut down on any noise issues you might have. That said, if I were spending what amounts to $400 on a DAC/pre/headamp I’d probably go with more expensive monitor speakers to make that expenditure really worthwhile. Unbalanced RCA/3.5mm for $100-$200 seems much better when you’re talking about a set of HS5s.

There are also modular all-in-one solutions like the Asgard that let you pop a USB DAC card in for a total price of $300, but you lose the flexibility of the previously described stacks and it’s pricier, but maybe it appeals to you.

TLDR:

value option: Fulla
value/performance option (probably the sweet spot, IMO, and all you’d need): Magni + Modi
El Guapo option: Magnius + Modius or an all-in-one of some sort.

https://www.schiit.com

Also, 48khz is plenty and I personally really love the look and performance of the A2s, but they’re much much smaller than the HS5s, and will sound accordingly. They will also take up much less desk space though. Just something to keep in mind.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 20, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

e: ^^^ I get slower as I get older, but a different take.

Blackfyre posted:

The A2 are decidedly smaller and will have a poorer bass response. It's been a good recommendation for people who agonize over their desk space. I wouldn't get them if that isn't a priority. Anything with a woofer smaller than 5" isn't going to give you a very satisfying bass sound.

Sample rates in DACs are a non-issue. Please don't get suckered in by internet morons. And unless you had noise issues before with your Creative card, I wouldn't expect them to suddenly turn up. Nonetheless, if you want to throw money at it, sure. I'd be looking at the M-Audio Air Hub at ~$70. It's a very pleasing form factor, excellent DAC with the high spec sheet numbers, big volume knob, headphone out with separate volume control, balanced outputs and it's a usb hub on top of that (because why not), and it doesn't have all the microphone inputs you don't care for that would come with other musician oriented gear. This would work great with any set of powered monitors with balanced inputs. There's somewhat cheaper Behringer gear that is perfectly adequate, but it wouldn't be as neat aesthetically. In general the whole musician's corner of semi pro gear is slightly less infected with inexplicable price hikes for audiophile woo. This is ultimately why people started shopping for studio monitors in the first place.

I don't have a lot of experience personally with other speakers, so I'll leave that to someone else. I'd have to go read reviews myself. The Adam T5V that were mentioned are no doubt worth a look.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Second post because I don’t want to make the previous one any longer:

Speakers. HS5s are good (esp at that price if they work and aren’t beat to poo poo) but the consensus seems to be that they lean more to the ‘studio monitor’ side than ‘pleasure speaker’ side of the equation.

That’s by no means a bad thing but the impression I’ve gotten is that they’re a bit more dull and flat to listen to than JBL 305 mk 2s or T5Vs.

I have a set of the aforementioned JBLs, I like them a lot and they sound really good, but they can hiss sometimes depending on your setup.

I have fancy Limited Edition ones covered in colorful psychedelic stoner art that aren’t available anymore. If I were shopping now and I could afford the extra $100, I wouldn’t buy them in plain black when the Adam T5Vs exist.

As I mentioned earlier ITT, the T5Vs appear to be the current <$500 champs in the ~5” driver space. Between the HS5, 305, and T5V I really wouldn’t consider any other monitor speakers in that price point (stay the gently caress away from the cheap Mackies, they’re garbage and they will probably die on you in short order).

I like the Audioengine A2 series and the B1(?) which is based on them. I wouldn’t really look at their other stuff for desktop and I wouldn’t spend $400+ on a set of A5s when you can do better sounding monitors+separate components and also chuck in a headphone amp for the same money or less. You get some nice finishes and some modicum of all-in-one convenience but eh.

You could also consider just running an inexpensive stereo receiver or stereo amp (of which there are many, new and old, hell maybe you have one kicking around) from a DAC and passive speakers. I used a set of vintage Realistic Minimus 7s in nearfield for years and loved them, especially after adding a small 8” sub. A set of RB42s or whatever would probably make a solid pair of cheap passive desktop speakers.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ok Comboomer posted:

(stay the gently caress away from the cheap Mackies, they’re garbage and they will probably die on you in short order).

Are you talking about the CRs, because I have never heard anything bad about the MR line.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Djarum posted:

Are you talking about the CRs, because I have never heard anything bad about the MR line.

CRs. The ones that die and have one amp cab and one passive. They come with BT and green accents and people like ‘em but they aren’t as good as say Edifiers if you’re gonna go for cheap 2.0.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
The Speakers were a bit too battered for my tastes so I'm kinda back to the drawing board again. I've been looking at the recommendations before and they have been helpful my only undertainty is what I'm doing with DACs and Amps I think. If I buy say some JBL monitors thats like £200 so I have about £100 to play with for a DAC but could stretch a bit would like something that is good enough preferably with XLR connections but I can always ask for the world doesn't mean I'll get it.

I also saw some Edifier S350DBs for sale but hadnt used or seen Edifier before seeing the name a few times here, are they any good?

EDIT: After looking around a bit and looking at the earlier advice I can get 2 JBL 305P MKIIs for £200 and I looked up the Schitt stuff but they don't seem to be available in the UK right now - just marked as out of stock on every product on the schitt UK site etc. For the price I was looking at the Magni 3 (although it lacked XLR) but not sure if there are other alternatives I should look into re: dacs?

Blackfyre fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 22, 2020

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

I'm looking for a set of desktop speakers that are made in North America or Europe, and not ridiculously expensive (let's say $1000 soft limit).

Candidates so far are Genelec, Neumann, Focal, and Vanatoo... any other brands I should be considering?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I found some Audioengine A5+ speakers for £200 locally, they were in good condition and that seemed like a steal so I grabbed 'em? Was this a good idea or have I made a mistake?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You can hardly go wrong with them, but it sounds like you haven't listened to them yet by that question :v:

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Wibla posted:

You can hardly go wrong with them, but it sounds like you haven't listened to them yet by that question :v:

They seemed great to me (a lot better than the A2s) so it seemed like a good purchase but then I kinda got a bit of FUD after

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Near beginning of covid i started looking at this thread while searching for a new setup for audio.

I've now got a full on component stereo with a 12 inch klipsch sub, elac speakers, nice technics turntable etc etc etc.

Its a rabbit hole, I almost forgot how good things could sound.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been using these fellas, Creature Speakers, specifically these white ones:

and they've been fantastic for nigh on a decade and a half. but they are finally, finally starting to break down, so I think it may just be time to put them out to pasture. What would be good replacements for them? Being able to tuck the tiny speakers wherever I may want to on a whim has always been nice and a good draw to keep using them. As long as the audio quality is as good or better than them, anything of good, long-lived build quality(I.E. won't be vibrated apart by its own audio output within 2 years) would be a welcome recommendation, being able to put the speakers basically anywhere would be a good selling point for me. A couple hundred bucks would probably be a reasonable price limit for me.

or, hey, if anyone knows of a decently priced new in box one of the same ol' creature speakers, that'd probably be fine too. :v:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I use 2 KRK Rokit 5 monitors hooked up to a Numark Mixtrack as my pc speakers :smug: but I only get stereo sound out of them because I need 2 more monitors for "Quad" sound :shepface:

It's not an issue, unless im playing games because i cant "hear" anything behind my character...heyo. Anyone else have studio monitors hooked up to their pc's? Do ya have a better way of doing it then uh hooking to a electronic dj midi table..

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I use 2 KRK Rokit 5 monitors hooked up to a Numark Mixtrack as my pc speakers :smug: but I only get stereo sound out of them because I need 2 more monitors for "Quad" sound :shepface:

It's not an issue, unless im playing games because i cant "hear" anything behind my character...heyo. Anyone else have studio monitors hooked up to their pc's? Do ya have a better way of doing it then uh hooking to a electronic dj midi table..

Do games even have quad-channel sound? Do you mean surround? You’d need a center channel or a way to set up your fronts as a “phantom center”, and also some kind of hardware (most commonly a receiver or a surround processor/pre) to send the correct signal to the correct speaker.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 30, 2020

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It sets itself to uh "quadrophonic" and I no option to make it actually stereo. It's kinda funny to be honest.

My options are; A. a receiver or B. 2 more KrK (or similar) Monitors

Best example of what happens to me is I'm in a dialogue dump scene in a game (fps or any game with a player moving an avatar in a 3d world) If I look at the NPC directly I get audio loud n clear. If I turn the dialogue volume slowly disappears but the audio directly infront of me is heard. Keep going full 180, NPC is directly behind me now, can't hear them at all. I can read subtitles of what they are saying and hear everything directly infront of me again.

Multiplayer wise is that I literally cannot hear anyone sneaking up behind me or any action that may tell me where other players are behind me. :lol:

I mitigate this with my headphones and it's not an issue when bumpin hot :siren: jams :siren:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I just use a trs 3.5 to dual ts 1/4" cable.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thought about doing that

Currently have a dual trs cable to dual rca cable (mixtrack is rca input only) I tried a few weird cable mixtures, like Dual RCA male/female combo then plugging 2 more RCA cables in the back of those and the other ends into the mixer. :iiam: I'll just get 2 more monitors for da cheapo i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This sounds like a problem with your system configuration (or maybe you have a terrible sound card that's unconfigurable for some reason.) Go for it if you want surround sound I suppose, but buying new monitors to add to your alreadly wacky setup seems like maybe not the most efficient solution?