Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am currently ripping out SCCM that was the wrong solution because "guy with SCCM experience suggested it" and you really should be speaking up that it's the wrong solution. There is very close to 0 reason not to do Intune instead at this time.

If you are the "desktop support guy" your opinion of how desktops get managed absolutely matters.

Also, that's a hell of a red text title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

While I'm SCCM and Intune illiterate but knowing Microsoft... I would hate to spend time setting up Intune only to run into something that doesn't work and have to go all the way back to setting up SCCM.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gabriel S. posted:

While I'm SCCM and Intune illiterate but knowing Microsoft... I would hate to spend time setting up Intune only to run into something that doesn't work and have to go all the way back to setting up SCCM.

Two years ago this was a valid concern, but these days as long as you’re running Windows 10 you’re going to be fine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

Two years ago this was a valid concern, but these days as long as you’re running Windows 10 you’re going to be fine.

On a one to ten scale, how well is this documented? Does this apply to Windows Server 2012?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gabriel S. posted:

On a one to ten scale, how well is this documented? Does this apply to Windows Server 2012?

It doesn't. Server OSes aren't supported in Intune. I imagine the use of SCCM for servers was very small, otherwise we'd probably be seeing it implemented. Not really sure why you'd need it, tbqh.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, from my perspective, it's less "last job," and more "last employer." I want to go somewhere where my future career moves will be internal. Ideally, somewhere where I also get rewarded for loyalty (i.e. something like a public pension, and significantly increasing PTO with seniority).

I think I've found that place. I've got a sweet gig for now, good money, disgusting benefits, and good opportunities to move up and around so I'll never be bored between now and retirement. God willing and the creeks don't rise.

regulargonzalez posted:

Right now we're using Kace which seems pretty basic so anything should be an upgrade.

KACE is pretty slick in my opinion. We've got security policies that fight against some its best deployment tricks, but I can run an .msi or .ps1 against any machine or set of machines we've got it on. The reporting and inventory stuff is great, you can throw SQL at it. I got a list of all our subnets by building, so I made a smart label to identify machines by area on campus. That turned out to be aseries of about 30 "OR (IF machine.IP like....)" statements, so I wrote a PowerShell script to take a list of subnets and return a complete SQL statement.

But maybe I'm biased, before KACE we were managing a couple thousand lab machine with PowerShell scripts I'd written myself.

Security theater of the month award: we have Remote Registry and PowerShell Remoting turned off by GPO. But "sc.exe \\<target machine> start <service>" works. So does psexec.exe for starting arbitrary processes on remote machines. You just need to run either of those in a user context that has admin on the remote system(s).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

It doesn't. Server OSes aren't supported in Intune. I imagine the use of SCCM for servers was very small, otherwise we'd probably be seeing it implemented. Not really sure why you'd need it, tbqh.

They need it because they treat servers like workstations and that is kind of the issue. That or they rely on SCCM for windows patch management , which is loving dreadful.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We had SCCM on servers for AV but that got removed when we migrated to AMP.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I think I've found that place. I've got a sweet gig for now, good money, disgusting benefits, and good opportunities to move up and around so I'll never be bored between now and retirement. God willing and the creeks don't rise.

KACE is pretty slick in my opinion. We've got security policies that fight against some its best deployment tricks, but I can run an .msi or .ps1 against any machine or set of machines we've got it on. The reporting and inventory stuff is great, you can throw SQL at it. I got a list of all our subnets by building, so I made a smart label to identify machines by area on campus. That turned out to be aseries of about 30 "OR (IF machine.IP like....)" statements, so I wrote a PowerShell script to take a list of subnets and return a complete SQL statement.

But maybe I'm biased, before KACE we were managing a couple thousand lab machine with PowerShell scripts I'd written myself.

Security theater of the month award: we have Remote Registry and PowerShell Remoting turned off by GPO. But "sc.exe \\<target machine> start <service>" works. So does psexec.exe for starting arbitrary processes on remote machines. You just need to run either of those in a user context that has admin on the remote system(s).

Well that is brilliant. Are your infosec people like 70 years old? Are they still trying to physically remove all the USB ports?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We’re still using SCCM for server patching. Someone give me an alternative for 4,000 servers or so across 110 physical sites across the globe and I’ll check it out.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://github.com/alievk/avatarify

I set this up over the weekend. It's a neat gimmick

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skipdogg posted:

We’re still using SCCM for server patching. Someone give me an alternative for 4,000 servers or so across 110 physical sites across the globe and I’ll check it out.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/update-management/update-mgmt-overview

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

skipdogg posted:

Comedy option: Powershell Desired State Configuration. Patching is for losers, all the cool kids tear down and spin up new servers every month don’t ya know?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DSC isn't for patching.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

This. We still have some stuff on solar winds patch management that somehow is cheaper and less awful than sccm, which doesn't seem possible. Even its going away as soon as our current agreement is up.

We are also making massive shift from windows servers. Far too often I hear things like "we have 4000 windows servers" and I think, wtf why? Far too often these windows servers are just landing zone for individual apps and the windows server was the laziest way the app owner could implement them. It costs much less to go back and do it right in a lot of cases.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CLAM DOWN posted:

DSC isn't for patching.

Exactly. Was meant to be a cheap dig at devops cattle v pets, didn’t land. meh, it’s a Sunday and I’m smoking away these terrible months we have left before glorious nuclear annihilation

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 21, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yup, this is Microsoft's recommendation right now. Our environment is smaller, so I'm moving from WSUS for the servers to Azure Update Management.

SCCM just for Microsoft updates seems really expensive. If you're deploying 3rd party packages and stuff too, I guess I'd understand.

We're going to be using Chocolatey with Intune and hopefully for any of the few 3rd party packages I can just do PowerShell + Chocolatey. Microsoft has a package manager coming out but it's not ready yet.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Internet Explorer posted:

We're going to be using Chocolatey with Intune and hopefully for any of the few 3rd party packages I can just do PowerShell + Chocolatey. Microsoft has a package manager coming out but it's not ready yet.

Ironically I don't remember the guy's name off the top of my head but you probably should credit him with creating their package manager since they pretended they were going to hire him, interviewed him to learn all about his package manager, then kicked him out and "developed" their own. Least we can do is credit him for his work.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
AppGet, the guy's name was Keivan Beigi.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 21, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Exactly. Was meant to be a cheap dig at devops cattle v pets, didn’t land. meh, it’s a Sunday and I’m smoking away these terrible months we have left before glorious nuclear annihilation

Fair. I don't usually get most jokes anyways. I'm old.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 21, 2020

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fair. I don't usually get most homes anyways. I'm old.

Yeah homes are for the young people.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Yeah homes are for the young people.

Omfg I can't type on my phone anymore either, take me out back, I'm done

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Omfg I can't type on my phone anymore either, take me out back, I'm done

It's OK, grandpa. Turns out we DO have a home for you, and they'll take real good care of you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Re: job with the a tax man

Submitted my take home exercise Thursday morning, got home from camping to a request for a follow up interview on Tuesday

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

Re: job with the a tax man

Submitted my take home exercise Thursday morning, got home from camping to a request for a follow up interview on Tuesday

Good luck friend.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah. Super loving lovely.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

Am I correct in thinking this is the solution for servers in a modern Microsoft environment, and Intune/Update for Business is for clients?

I ask cause my company is looking to move off of LANdesk soon and I want to make sure all our machines are covered. Would we need both?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're doing modern desktop then you will want EM+S to benefit from conditional access policies and the SSO options that come with Azure AD Premium plans, Intune is part of that bundle and can manage your client endpoints including mobile devices.

You'll want to handle settings management, application deployment etc. and that isn't part of the Update Manager feature set.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Does this allow for a central update repository to share from? Thats one of the reasons my company wants to use SCCM is so they can knock off another connection to the outside world and just pull from a distribution site and save bandwidth.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

quote:

Third-party updates on Windows
Update Management relies on the locally configured update repository to update supported Windows systems, either WSUS or Windows Update.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yay. Almost 2021 and still have to deal with WSUS

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

skipdogg posted:

Yay. Almost 2021 and still have to deal with WSUS

I've been pushing for intune for a while. The only in that I had was that we need MDM since abandoning Airwatch.

Unfortunately I know this just means we will have Intune for phones, while using SCCM for one network and WSUS for another.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

In the spirit of PowerShell, shouldn't that be Get-App ?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can somebody please define DevOps for me for like the millionth time? I still just don't understand what exactly it's supposed to be. And also, why is DevOps and Kubernetes things you always see in the insane big money jobs?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Vargatron posted:

Can somebody please define DevOps for me for like the millionth time? I still just don't understand what exactly it's supposed to be. And also, why is DevOps and Kubernetes things you always see in the insane big money jobs?

You answered your own question.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's using python to manage your servers instead of powershell

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Vargatron posted:

There's an "in theory" and an "in practice" answer to this question, but the term is so diluted in 2020 as to be almost meaningless. In theory, it is a set of principles based around removing organizational boundaries between software development groups and infrastructure operations groups. If you do this well you can eliminate the incredible amount of manual toil involved with writing software, which will reduce the time it takes for a product feature to go from conception to market, which is a competitive advantage and is one that investors really like to hear about.

In practice, DevOps tend to either be a software developer specialization where you know how DNS works, or it is a sysadmin position where you know what a message queue is for. In either case, there's a lot of manual toil involved with putting programs on computers, and your job is usually to be the steward for that toil and reduce it where you can.

You often see DevOps and Kubernetes in the same job posting because Kubernetes can't really be managed traditionally. You have to have some experience with toolsets that you would likely pick up while working in a DevOps adjacent role in order to use it effectively. The placement of DevOps near Kubernetes tends to be a recruiting strategy in my experience.

The insane big money is a combination of a lot of factors but the generous answer is that these skillsets don't come into existence in a vacuum and can't really be taught in school, so the hiring pool is very small. The industries in need of "a person who can manage a 5 digit number of servers by themselves" also tend to also be the same industries that are being pumped full of money by the public market or by economic policy, which creates this pile-on effect of more and more competitors with more and more money interested in the same hiring pool.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Vargatron posted:

I'll bite because most of the answers you'll get will be sarcastic as the term has been co-opted by consultants trying to make a quick buck by "rubbing some devops on it" or companies trying to make their hiring more attractive.

DevOps is a cultural shift characterized by increased investment in a shared responsibility model between development and operations where the process is no longer "dev throws it over the wall to ops" but instead is a collaborative effort where ops provides the tools and expertise to allow dev to deploy, run, manage, and monitor their code in production. As far as technical pieces, it emphasizes CI/CD, operational tooling (such as immutable builds, infrastructure as code, infra automation, etc.), and monitoring and alerting among others.

The reason you see the term attached to big money jobs is because the operational component is specialized and requires a balance between deep expertise in infra and writing code as well as a broad skill-set across the stack that the company is using. It's hard to hire for the skills, let alone the aptitude and the strength to drive team and company culture change.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks for the responses. I guess my trouble is based on my last job where software development was already handled by Sysadmins. I thought that was just standard practice rather than a special tag like DevOps.

Also, ask me about wearing way too many hats as a SysAdmin with no formal training!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

In the spirit of PowerShell, shouldn't that be Get-App ?

hey now, don't let little thing like standards get in the way of marketing