Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The_Franz posted:

it must be good because lots of japanese media used it
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
anime is blood

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
hell yeah zhuangzi

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FMguru posted:

hell yeah zhuangzi

I, rotor, am the big Taoism fan!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

have you read bridge of birds by barry hughart?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

have you read bridge of birds by barry hughart?

i have not but i am immediately filled with the desire to make fun of his name

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

harry bugfart!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

sorry, sorry, i'm trying to delete it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

dharma balls

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Feeling very Sunday Night right now

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
looking forward to another week of not leaving the house

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
tomorrow is my sixth month anniversary

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

graph posted:

tomorrow is my sixth month anniversary

i was out of the office for exactly six months until i went in nights last week. alternating weeks until my galaxy brain managers get bored of that and smoosh us all together. plexiglass sheets ain’t gonna do poo poo. it was some fun cognitive dissonance to see death notices in my inbox right next to messages where managers were sucking their own ducks about how minimally impacted we are.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’ve been wfh since 24 Feb lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i've been WFH since october 2016 lmao

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
im literally Making Money Online

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sniep posted:

i've been WFH since august 1 2016 lmao

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
wfh has permanently damaged me

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i just want to hang out when the peeps, play some magic, drink some beers.

my brother in law had some friends over to help him set up furniture for his move, maskless, for hours, then went back straight to his (elderly) parents where he's crashing during the move. fuzzywife is super mad and badgered him in to testing tomorrow.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

wfh has made me happy and work has always been run like a poorly run clownshow so they probably wont have any real plans for at least 6 months

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

wfh is a mixed bag but it's mostly been good for my physical health, waistline, and wallet.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

we're not even sure if we're going to bother re-upping our lease on our vancouver office. we might end up just shoving everyone's PCs in a warehouse along with everything in our stockroom and lab and giving it some fibre and calling that good enough

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i get to spend all day every day with my family and actually see the kids grow up, i was saving around $1000/mo on babysitting until the missus went back to work and two is too many to handle on my own while trying to "work", so now im only saving $600/mo, i dont have to drive ever and i can dodge any and all social interaction that i want to with the valid excuse of "im not comfortable given the current global situation" if i dont feel like it that day (re: everyday)

wfh owns

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if facebook and google ever realize you can actually write software without being in the SF Bay Area my real estate values are gonna royally eat poo poo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

please, nobody tell them

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rotor posted:

please, nobody tell them

consider selling now while people are fleeing en masse

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

if facebook and google ever realize you can actually write software without being in the SF Bay Area my real estate values are gonna royally eat poo poo

but i read a medium article written by a VC that said that you have to live in palo alto to be an innovator.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sorry but I would like to leave the bay area so i might spill the beans

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i moved to the pnw

so far so good

except the smoke

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

[mark benioff, looking at the salesforce tower] I have-a the buyers remorse

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I feel like I’m seeing more people burn out on WFH and think that more than I thought three months ago will head back to offices once they open back up.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ive been pretty burnt out for a while but it feels extra bad now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

burnout is part of the circle of life

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it is kinda circular i guess

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
More people seem to be itching to get back and I think some of the new full time remoters haven’t thought how things will change when most of everybody else is in the office together.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i think a lot of companies are seeing the amount of money theyre saving on utilities and in some cases rent and are realizing that wfh is the future

i dont expect at least in the software world there to be a huge push to return since by and large the main thing that is burning people out isnt working from home but working from home while helping their kids distance learn or entertain their too-young-for-school kids instead of having daycare/babysitters handle it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
startup idea: if there are gonna be a bunch of tech companies hiring new grads into wfh positions, have your company take some of their signing bonus and turn it into a proper desk, chair etc. to have a productive wfh setup

work with the companies doing the hiring to offer it directly as a signing bonus

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i thought commercial leases included utilities

and are multi-year so they're just paying for unused office. it's driving my boss absolutely bananas

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
actually this seems like it has the potential to be profitable so is probably a poor match for a vc-funded startup.

perhaps we could provide the equipment at a loss instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i think a lot of companies are seeing the amount of money theyre saving on utilities and in some cases rent and are realizing that wfh is the future

i hope so. I mean i hope NOT because my house would lose a lot of value but at the same time i really do hope so.