Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Triarii posted:

Well of course it has always been there now. But maybe it wasn't already always there before.

Am I going to have to go back to the tapes? I recorded a playthrough like 5 months ago. Was it always there? Is there a recording taken at launch that looks at that panel?

This fuckin game. Love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My current general loadout is just all high-tier energy recovery, it's a ton of fun with launch maxed out. Just telekinetically one-shotting 80% of the enemies, I can barely even launch stuff fast enough to run out of energy.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There's useful ones like 'lower cost to shield rush' or 'lower cost to dodge'. There's the unique 'heal on dodge' too.

Captain Hygiene posted:

My current general loadout is just all high-tier energy recovery, it's a ton of fun with launch maxed out. Just telekinetically one-shotting 80% of the enemies, I can barely even launch stuff fast enough to run out of energy.

It's what I did for half the game and it's great. Until I maxed out the health tree and decided to have +orb on there. And then I realized how useful shield rush is, so I added a +shield health one too.

Edit: Some of the highest level mods are ridiculous. I think I have a +15 projectiles on the Shatter.

itry fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 20, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

On the only decent conditional mod I think is ammo use when levitating and even then its outshined by mods you get later.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/Cpt_Hygiene/status/1307774774110597122
I was just screwing around setting up fun grenade explosions, and.... :catstare::aaaaa:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
One thing I'm thinking about while doing this run is that it would've been a nice little detail if you were actually rescuing people in all, or at least some, of the shelters you open up for loot around the building

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I didn't notice I got this when I was playing the other night

(stacked all the +Damage mods I had onto Surge, stuck three bombs on the forklift to the right as you enter Dr. Tomassi's arena, pick up forklift and two heavy crates, as soon as he starts to emerge from the rock WHOOSH - he won't block if you time it right, over half of his health bar blasted off)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://twitter.com/Cpt_Hygiene/status/1307774774110597122
I was just screwing around setting up fun grenade explosions, and.... :catstare::aaaaa:

Yeah it's an altered object. I was trying to find it but it didn't spawn for me anywhere :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

itry posted:

Yeah it's an altered object. I was trying to find it but it didn't spawn for me anywhere :(

I had no idea it even existed. Also I had to restart my PS4 because it froze while trying to trim the video clip, and now the machine's not spawning there :smith:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had no idea it even existed. Also I had to restart my PS4 because it froze while trying to trim the video clip, and now the machine's not spawning there :smith:

There's a case file or something that mentions somewhere, I didn't realise it was actually one you could find in the game.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Captain Hygiene posted:

They are random, so put a bullet into every vending machine. My first encounter was when the flying machine-gunners show up in the first big office in Investigations and it was one of the stray bad guy grenades that triggered it, so not only did I have brand new hovering assholes to deal with but also an angry, sparking vending machine rushing past me every few seconds.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

It has a case file and everything. There's also one for a fridge, but I don't think there's one running around in the game.

And I finally found it (one?) in the Operations Center. It dropped around 10 mods. Nothing useful to me sadly.

Edit:

quote:

...will produce whatever they subconsciously desire

Guess Jesse desires loot.

Edit2: Oh god there were two of them

itry fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 20, 2020

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

itry posted:

It has a case file and everything. There's also one for a fridge, but I don't think there's one running around in the game.

And I finally found it (one?) in the Operations Center. It dropped around 10 mods. Nothing useful to me sadly.

Oh god, who's watching the fridge?!?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

poor life choice posted:

Oh god, who's watching the fridge?!?

There are fridges around the offices, you can't prove they aren't breeding! :tinfoil:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I actually just got that yesterday but figured it was just more fun storytelling, I've occasionally smacked a vending machine in passing but never had one wake up and zip away until now.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

I actually just got that yesterday but figured it was just more fun storytelling, I've occasionally smacked a vending machine in passing but never had one wake up and zip away until now.

I think it only spawns in the Investigations sector.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'd just assumed that vending machine log was a veiled nod to scp-261 since the devs have explicitly acknowledged scp stuff as one of the inspirations for the game. Didn't know it was something you could find, that's neat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's an achievement for killing 5 of those vending machines, and either it's REALLY rare or it follows some long-term pattern no one has figured out yet. It's the last achievement I don't have :/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Situation/Crisis/Uh-Oh in Foundation

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

haveblue posted:

There's an achievement for killing 5 of those vending machines, and either it's REALLY rare or it follows some long-term pattern no one has figured out yet. It's the last achievement I don't have :/

I only have the Epic Store version, so no achievements for me, but I believe you only have to destroy four of them for the achievement. The game randomly decides which vending machines will be the altered item every session. I got two in short order by running through a couple of places in the Investigations Sector that I remember seeing a vending machine and shooting them, then quitting and restarting the game and running through again. It's pretty tedious, and I'm not sure I'm gonna bother trying to kill it five times (rumor has it the altered item will stop spawning after you find and kill it five times).

From what I've heard, sometimes the same vending machine you killed before can be the altered item again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I seem to have hit an unfortunate bug, I got the coin for the introductory expedition side quest but when I use the jukebox it just wants to start a regular expedition, not the quest

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s only vending machines in the Investigation wing and there’s only 5 spawns. Just cycle through

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

site posted:

I seem to have hit an unfortunate bug, I got the coin for the introductory expedition side quest but when I use the jukebox it just wants to start a regular expedition, not the quest

That's normal, as the quest is literally just "Here's how expeditions work!!" Hop in and be amazed at the wonders of stretching a games combat design beyond it's limit!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well yes, except I can't complete the quest. My cheevos :negative:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

site posted:

Well yes, except I can't complete the quest. My cheevos :negative:

No I mean I'm pretty sure that's the quest. If you haven't yet, try starting it. If it's actually bugged well hey, you got another good reason to replay the game!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh yeah I tried cuz I thought it was a change from the awe dlc but it just loaded up a 22min mission time with the pick up stuff from dead agents mission and no audio recordings in the mission area so rip me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did you talk to Arish?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Huh okay so what I didn't realize is that remedy just straight up changed the mission into a regular expedition. Instead of visiting just the one island for a couple minutes you have to do the whole thing, the audio logs are spread out on different islands, and when it finished I went back and talked to arish and it completed the quest :shrug: So that's new

Better than my game being bugged tho

site fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 21, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A ways into Foundation now and it definitely feels like the lesser of the two DLCs in retrospect. I really love the idea of the central setting and the historical lore you get down there. In terms of actual gameplay though, I think the setting doesn't work so well - it just leads to too much wandering in confused, winding passages for my taste. And a lot of it leans pretty heavily on vertically overlapped levels, which I think very much highlight the weaknesses of the map system. On that side, it's kind of a shame it had to come at the end of the game.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
This is a fantastic game -- I just bought the ultimate edition, and beat the game and then both DLCs. I'd never played a Remedy game before and I really enjoyed it.

The game works very well on Linux through the Proton runtime, but unfortunately without RTX -- apparently new versions of Proton include (or will include) VKD3D, which implements the DirectX 12 API on top of Vulkan, which might allow using the DX12 executable and enabling ray tracing. I don't know whether the newest version distributed through Steam is new enough, because Control kept crashing on launch with that version. I had to use the next-most-recent, which definitely doesn't support DX12.

I'm also a huge fan of the characterization of Langston: moving up in the ranks just by surviving and keeping his head down. I laughed out loud when he (spoiler for end of AWE) refused to take over the Investigations sector, since he's used to seeing sector heads get killed/possessed/etc.

(maybe fake) edit:

Captain Hygiene posted:

A ways into Foundation now and it definitely feels like the lesser of the two DLCs in retrospect. I really love the idea of the central setting and the historical lore you get down there. In terms of actual gameplay though, I think the setting doesn't work so well

I really want to know how the Board expected you to fix the Nail by only giving you one of the two required abilities. Or did they expect you to fix it? :tinfoil:

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 21, 2020

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lysidas posted:

I'd never played a Remedy game before and I really enjoyed it.

obligatory 'you should check out alan wake' but mainly with the understanding that control is the natural evolution of the gameplay and that alan wake is very much the rougher predecessor. that said, there's plenty to love if you enjoyed how remedy set up the game's world in control.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lysidas posted:

I really want to know how the Board expected you to fix the Nail by only giving you one of the two required abilities. Or did they expect you to fix it? :tinfoil:

That'll be interesting to think about, I don't remember a whole lot about how things wind up with the story.

Also yeah, Langston is great, he's been a real standout this time around in a way I never really noticed before. Glad he's back for a bunch of fun dialogue.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PS thanks to whoever pointed out what the later seize upgrades can do, I've been finding cool new friends all over the place :hellyeah:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

That'll be interesting to think about, I don't remember a whole lot about how things wind up with the story.

They get upset and throw out a vague threat but never take action to stop you and then quickly just accept you have both the abilities. It's almost like they engineered the situation to force Former to act and effectively bring him back on side.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ya'll are gonna feel really silly when Langston's cult of altered item worshippers tries to take over the FBC or accidentally summons an elder god or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

John Murdoch posted:

Ya'll are gonna feel really silly when Langston's cult of altered item worshippers tries to take over the FBC or accidentally summons an elder god or something.

Langston's Cat was LOOOOOOOOONG

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Finally beat the whole thing, the main game and both DLCs straight through. I love it so much, it's my favorite use of character and environmental storytelling to build a game world in I don't know how long. Not to mention having some of the most fun superpowered gameplay, when it remembers to play to its strengths (i.e. focusing on short encounters rather than long-form extended battles). I played this whole run at 50% damage reduction and honestly, it felt much better - still some challenge, especially in the back half, pretty close to how I'd feel a regular "Normal" game mode would be compared to the tough default difficulty. Also the only way I was able to beat the final Foundation boss, and what made multiple other boss encounters fun rather than an extended exercise in frustration.

Next thing I'm looking forward to is eventually playing it on a newer system. For all that I love it, playing on base PS4 feels like it's about a half generation ahead of what the console's capable of doing. I really want to experience it without chugging in busy scenes, massive loading times, and dropping to single digit frame rates for a few seconds after using the pause menus.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 22, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Captain Hygiene posted:

dropping to single digit frame rates for a few seconds after using the pause menus.

This still happens on high-end PCs :( Maybe they'll fix it in the next-gen console release somehow?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah it's something weird with the game. My machine, while not top of the line by any stretch, runs the game flawlessly on medium-ish settings and it still stutters when exiting menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

drat. Well, looking forward to the rest of it running more smoothly anyway.