Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Finally got my new case and moved the PC onto the desk itself. Made cabling cleaner for the sit/stand aspect of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I want to mount a powerstrip to the underside of my sit-stand desk but would prefer not to have to drill anything - would command strips do the trick? Anyone do something like that?

There's also a small gap between parts of the underframe and the underside of the desk - I think I could slip cable ties in there and tie the strip to that, if I wanted.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I don't feel like a command strip is going to do very well they're okay but a power strip and cords hanging are going to quickly overpower the holding power I feel

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
VHB tape might work better than command tape but I would (did) just drill.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can just put some small self tappers in and no need to drill just screw

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

as someone who was forced to WFH, If you're ever feeling just a little drained about your setup like I have, I was very surprised how much of a mood lift it is to just get a new mouse pad and adding a color temp bulb to a desk lamp.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Command strips are not up to the task of holding a power strip.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Photex posted:

as someone who was forced to WFH, If you're ever feeling just a little drained about your setup like I have, I was very surprised how much of a mood lift it is to just get a new mouse pad and adding a color temp bulb to a desk lamp.

What do you call that little stand/riser your lamp is sitting on? That’s pretty much exactly what I need but the term escapes me.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

plester1 posted:

What do you call that little stand/riser your lamp is sitting on? That’s pretty much exactly what I need but the term escapes me.

it's actually just a laptop stand BUT i'm replacing it with this (it's back ordered) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QVX28Y3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as I'd like some small drawer space on top of the desk for all the random stuff like pens and such.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Queadlunn posted:

Finally got my new case and moved the PC onto the desk itself. Made cabling cleaner for the sit/stand aspect of it.

What case is that? Looks great

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Oxyclean posted:

I think I want to mount a powerstrip to the underside of my sit-stand desk but would prefer not to have to drill anything - would command strips do the trick? Anyone do something like that?

There's also a small gap between parts of the underframe and the underside of the desk - I think I could slip cable ties in there and tie the strip to that, if I wanted.

I use these:
Hook and Loop Fasteners

The adhesive certainly won't come off easily or cleanly like a command strip but I can say they definitely hold up the power strip I use. I can take a picture in a little bit if you're interested in seeing but I actually have strips on both sides of my desk depending on how the room is set up and what side the power strip should be on.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've tried velcro for a powerstrip with no luck, so I'd appreciate pictures, it would be so nice if I could get it to work.

E:vvv its hard plastic, either command or 3M brand, I'm thinking I just didnt use enough.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 12, 2020

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The stuff you want for an application like a power strip is called “dual-lock” and isn’t the same as soft fuzzy velcro. It rules, I use it for guitar pedalboards.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The people itt have beautiful houses/rooms. It must be so nice. :cheers: very cool

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Pictures aren't the greatest because I'm not about to take the power strip off but here you go:

This is an Ikea desk so you can see the frame and the strip just fits snuggly next to it. So what I did was put the 3M stuff on the power strip, then take the adhesive off the other side and jam the power strip on the desk. I've moved this desk and removed/replaced the power strip a few times and I've never had a problem with the 3M coming off or the power strip itself falling.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

beepsandboops posted:

What case is that? Looks great

It's a RAIJINTEK OPHION ( https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=90 ). Got it about 3 weeks ago now when I rebuilt my PC, moving to an ITX AMD system. Been really happy with it so far but the AMD Prism heatsink is too tall, I had to improvise a bit.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I had a Raijintek Metis a few years ago, they are a really underrated case manufacturer, they've got some really solid designs.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

I was so preoccupied with whether or not I could, I didn't stop to think if I should

Obviously only about halfway done with the madness, got a couple more screens to mount, along with a tablet stand and a laptop.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 13, 2020

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Triikan posted:

I was so preoccupied with whether or not I could, I didn't stop to think if I should

Obviously only about halfway done with the madness, got a couple more screens to mount, along with a tablet stand and a laptop.

So how much of a tan do you build with those at max brightness?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Triikan posted:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Re: Powerstrip desk mounting -
I was able to cable-tie a small power strip to the underside of my desk - the bar that crosses underneath isn't flush with the desktop for the full length, so I could sneak the ties through. Seems sturdy enough for the 3 things I'm plugging into it. My cord management is still a horrible mess though. Right now I have a usb hub on the desk and i've just tried to bundle and tie my usb cords. I could maybe hide some of it underneath the desk, but that means spaghetti into the grommet.

For anyone doing a sit-stand thing, is there like an anti-fatigue mat that doubles as a chart mat? Are they generally okay to use chairs on? I recently got one of those cheap plastic chair mat since I was starting to notice some wear on the carpet, but it doesn't seem ideal for standing on for longer periods of time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't know if it's been mentioned ITT but a reminder to people comfortable with using zip-ties (which they should be unless they re-route cables like every week); these things exist:

(I worked in a place where people would regularly use zip-ties all day long and only one person I showed them to had any idea what they were. I guess that's why I found a whole bag in the garbage bin :shrug:)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned ITT but a reminder to people comfortable with using zip-ties (which they should be unless they re-route cables like every week); these things exist:

(I worked in a place where people would regularly use zip-ties all day long and only one person I showed them to had any idea what they were. I guess that's why I found a whole bag in the garbage bin :shrug:)

But they're so handy. Bizarre. I guess some people really don't pay attention to things

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
You gonna tell us what they are?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Daric posted:

pasties, duh

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Daric posted:

If I had to wager a guess, they look like anchors you can shove a zip tie through. Stick one to the underside of your desk and zip tie the cables so they sit mostly flush with the underside.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
They can be routed two ways. The question is whether the adhesive can handle the weight, and if that’s in question there’s those little holes to mount them with nails or screws.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Considering I've had several cleaners and colleagues do their darndest to (unwittingly) tear them off my desk at work I'd say a power strip is fine.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Those things are usually called cable tie mounts or sometimes tie wrap blocks. I've used them before in industrial manufacturing settings. I learned about them from a coworker who used them in automotive racing applications, they're strong as gently caress.

fake edit: As an aside, you can get zip ties for just about any load under the sun. There are stainless steel zip ties that have been used to hold together 400lb car exhausts.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

plester1 posted:

Those things are usually called cable tie mounts or sometimes tie wrap blocks. I've used them before in industrial manufacturing settings. I learned about them from a coworker who used them in automotive racing applications, they're strong as gently caress.

Not all of them. I bought a set of cable mounting goodies from IKEA like a decade ago and everything in there was pretty good except for the adhesive on the tie mounts. But some spare Command strips fixed the issue, IIRC

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I don't know how some of you all can spend most of your day in a cave.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dema posted:

Well you see there are these pretty shadows on the wall.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dema posted:

these both yours? Is one your spouse's?

Also the trick is to go outside at lunch to smoke some weed

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

dema posted:

Looks pretty, but I'm real sensitive to screen glare

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'd never have a computer screen in front of a window like that. The light shining at you from behind the screen would be super annoying and I'd always be worried about rain potentially getting in and destroying the electronics if I forgot to close the window before leaving the house. Plus it would be difficult to access the window so you'd end up just keeping it permanently shut.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

dema posted:

Looks great, I like all your plant friends.

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd never have a computer screen in front of a window like that. The light shining at you from behind the screen would be super annoying and I'd always be worried about rain potentially getting in and destroying the electronics if I forgot to close the window before leaving the house. Plus it would be difficult to access the window so you'd end up just keeping it permanently shut.

You should try it, its refreshing to have a nice view rather than a blank wall. Matching the brightness of the screen to the outside light helps, and sheer curtains can cut down on glare if its too bright.

Also setting the desk back from the wall gives you room to get in there to open/close the windows and also negates the rain issue.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

Looks great, I like all your plant friends.

Yeah, agreed. OP are those a bunch of Haworthia in the red pot on the sill?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

dema posted:

Lack of options, probably

Parachute
May 18, 2003

dema posted:

do yall hold hands when you raid? im assuming thats why the workstations are so close together

edit: my desk is 8' long so i can swing my arm wildly in the air and not sock my wife in the jaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

these both yours? Is one your spouse's?

Work and personal.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, agreed. OP are those a bunch of Haworthia in the red pot on the sill?

No clue! I bought a bunch of plants back in the spring and have somehow kept almost all of them alive.

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd never have a computer screen in front of a window like that. The light shining at you from behind the screen would be super annoying

Facing east in the photo. So, depending on the time of year, I sometimes have to use the curtains in the front for the first few hours of the morning and the curtains in the rear for late evening. After that though, it's all nice and diffused light. Decent amount of trees outside.