Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ccs posted:

I rewatched the original "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" on Disney plus recently, as it was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

It was one of my favorites as well, and my own recent rewatch was kind of an odd experience because so many images from it are burned into my memory, especially in the Heffalumps and Woozles song. Still a lot of fun to go back to it, though I was a little disappointed at the lack of Eeyore in most of the stories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I was confused at the lack of Eeyore, I could have sworn he was a main character in at least one segment. Then I learned they made another short film, A Day for Eeyore, in 1983 and included it on the VHS for Many Adventures. So the version I saw as a kid included Eeyore, but the "theatrical" version didn't, so that's the version on Disney+.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Larryb posted:

Does the show still hold up? I was thinking I might finally check it out one day.

Its, well, its a show from 1968. Its got fun episodes and lots of weird shifts since theres no overarching plot, but its still an archaic serial with some questionable attitudes and representation of non-Japanese people. Animation is powerfully 1968 so don't expect much and expect it to repeat constantly, to the point of occassionally having a minor villain speed killed off be alive in background shots

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As a parent I can confirm that basically all of the Winnie The Pooh stuff slaps. I didn't like the style of Christopher Robin's eyes in the 2011 movie, but otherwise solid. The Disney+ transfer of the New Adventures is really gorgeous too. Really makes me appreciate how it was actually done on a decent budget compared to other '80s TV animation.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sing HO! for the life of a Bear
Sing HO! for the expedition

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ccs posted:

Yeah I was confused at the lack of Eeyore, I could have sworn he was a main character in at least one segment. Then I learned they made another short film, A Day for Eeyore, in 1983 and included it on the VHS for Many Adventures. So the version I saw as a kid included Eeyore, but the "theatrical" version didn't, so that's the version on Disney+.

That makes total sense and is probably the version I saw as a kid too- I'll have to seek out that last segment.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

As a parent I can confirm that basically all of the Winnie The Pooh stuff slaps. I didn't like the style of Christopher Robin's eyes in the 2011 movie, but otherwise solid. The Disney+ transfer of the New Adventures is really gorgeous too. Really makes me appreciate how it was actually done on a decent budget compared to other '80s TV animation.

Yeah Disney really invested in those early shows like Pooh and Gummi Bears (which i don't think i've ever seen.) Then WB tried to match it with Tiny Toon Adventures and Batman. And then slowly the budgets got reduced. I remember a commentary track where Bruce Timm laments that Superman was the last show he worked on with a full orchestral soundtrack. I remember seeing budgets being around 350,000 per episode back then, which got whittled down to about 100k by the time of shows like Avatar. Though you've still got shows with crap animation like Family Guy costing millions per episode because of the voice talent.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently there was enough demand for more of the Croods for the movie to get a sequel.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm just amazed they're moving it up. Maybe they think going against the crowd will leave it one of the only options for the people who still risk going to theaters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Barudak posted:

Its, well, its a show from 1968. Its got fun episodes and lots of weird shifts since theres no overarching plot, but its still an archaic serial with some questionable attitudes and representation of non-Japanese people. Animation is powerfully 1968 so don't expect much and expect it to repeat constantly, to the point of occassionally having a minor villain speed killed off be alive in background shots

How’s the 1997 pseudo-remake then?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alhazred posted:

Apparently there was enough demand for more of the Croods for the movie to get a sequel.

I liked the first Croods well enough that I'd be up for a sequel. I think? I would need to rewatch it to be sure, I haven't seen or thought about it for years. I remember not hating it, of that I'm pretty sure.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's all right. Great style.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

It's all right. Great style.

I do recall thinking the main cave girl had a fantastic design.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's not as silly or ridiculous as the flintstones, but it's not exactly a documentary either.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well it's clearly not Earth. But the messaging is pretty good. It's solid just not blowaway.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alhazred posted:

If no one else is gonna post the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_15CM53w9o

It real purdy.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ccs posted:

I'm just amazed they're moving it up. Maybe they think going against the crowd will leave it one of the only options for the people who still risk going to theaters.

The Croods is a mockumentary.

"And one day, she went out into the world, into a theater...AND DIED."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Phylodox posted:

If no one else is gonna post the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_15CM53w9o

It real purdy.

I really appreciate this recent trend of animated movies just going all in on a lot of bright vibrant colors, and especially a lot of pinks.

Also it's funny seeing the old cavemen folks next to the new ones, becasue the old designs are such a relic of an earlier dreamworks, whereas the new humans look very nice and modern. Except for some exceptions like the How To Train Your Dragon movies, I think human characters have been Dreamworks' biggest weakness. There's just something real offputting about a lot of dreamworks human faces. I've never watched that Home movie but I could never force myself to because the main human character is horrifying to look at.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The eyes on the new DreamWorks people tend to have a Cabbage Patch kids doll look

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I only got around to seeing The Croods back in February and was stoked to read that a sequel was on the horizon, then covid happened but this makes me happy that it's still going to release in 2020 :neckbeard:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I remember seeing the first trailer for this movie and not being interested at all, but they just released a new trailer and I think it looks like a lot of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_zuK_pergw

Also: Lots of bright colors and pinks, like i said about the Croods 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Croods 2 plot looks whatever but Im here for films that make me feel like I need to pay a sumptuary tax

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Man, this is gorgeous! I completely ignored the first one. I wonder if I should give it a shot now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's very pretty and it's fun.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

The Croods mert The Goode Family

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I know I watched The Three Caballeros at one point, but holy poo poo. It goes from really boring film to the last thirty minutes of I'm Thinking of Ending Things really quickly.

Horny Donald is also weird.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Macaluso posted:

I remember seeing the first trailer for this movie and not being interested at all, but they just released a new trailer and I think it looks like a lot of fun:

Yeah that looks amazing, and Glen Keane is involved so I’m double excited

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I audibly sighed when I read this.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nearly-onethird-of-us-households-purchased-mulan-on-disney-for-30-fee-data-221410961.html

Mulan, despite the outrage over it, has done VERY well for Disney.

Paraphrasing from the link:

29% of US households that have Disney+ purchased it through September 12th which surpassed all over titles on the platform (even though there's no additional cost to them).

Currently, Disney+ has over 60 million global subscribers. Assuming that the Us makes up 50% of that, then roughly 9 million people bought Mulan (29% of the estimated 30 million). At $30 for each person, Disney's made about $261,000,000 just to be conservative about it. And they get to keep all of it and not share it with theaters.

Downloads of Disney+ spiked 68% from Friday (Sep 4) through Sunday (Sep 6) compared to the previous weekend. Spending in the app spiked 193% (this might be attributed to people buying Mulan for that one-time $30 fee).

Disney hasn't provided any official numbers but last Wednesday, their CFO Christine McCarthy says they're very pleased with what they've seen so far.

There's a very, very high chance that Soul and Black Widow will be D+ only now.

TL,DR: Mulan is doing incredibly well. No one cares about the racism or the poo poo story or fight scenes. Live action remakes will definitely live on probably forever. Soul (and Black Widow) will probably be D+ only because they got a lot of money.

I don't know why but I'm very disappointed right now but I also don't know what I expected since every single live action Disney remake has made shitloads of money no matter how much people complain. It's probably due to the complaints.

And the fact that it's Disney.

Looks like Yahoo! got the math wrong for this!

https://twitter.com/Brian_7Park/status/1307341788492050432

According to the corrected math, Mulan only made about $60-$90 million, not the originally reported $291 million.

[url]https://www.ign.com/articles/did-mulans-vod-sales-beat-tenets-global-box-office/url]

This makes sense now because Black Widow won't be going to D+ but will be moved to May 7, 2021. Shang-Chi was moved from May 7 to July 9, 2021 and Eternals from February 12, 2021 to November 5, 2021.

Soul is still scheduled for Thanksgiving Day 2020 for theaters only.

There might be hope if Mulan made so little.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Does the new Croods have a love story between the girls? That's pretty big. Or maybe I just read the trailer hella wrong.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

anatomi posted:

Does the new Croods have a love story between the girls? That's pretty big. Or maybe I just read the trailer hella wrong.

As much as I would love the two girls to fall in love in the Croods 2, I think they're just supposed to be really good friends.

Would love to be wrong about this, but don't get your hopes up.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

they're just supposed to be really good friends.
Their bodies are discovered entangled in a bog, archaeologists determine they were gal pals

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like Yahoo! got the math wrong for this!

https://twitter.com/Brian_7Park/status/1307341788492050432

According to the corrected math, Mulan only made about $60-$90 million, not the originally reported $291 million.

[url]https://www.ign.com/articles/did-mulans-vod-sales-beat-tenets-global-box-office/url]

This makes sense now because Black Widow won't be going to D+ but will be moved to May 7, 2021. Shang-Chi was moved from May 7 to July 9, 2021 and Eternals from February 12, 2021 to November 5, 2021.

Soul is still scheduled for Thanksgiving Day 2020 for theaters only.

There might be hope if Mulan made so little.

This makes me oddly happy. Let’s just hope that if it fails Disney:
A: doesn’t blame Mulan the story
B: blame Asians

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neon Noodle posted:

Their bodies are discovered entangled in a bog, archaeologists determine they were gal pals

They're each wearing matching rings and a tablet is found behind them that says "We were married" in 12 different languages.

Truly the best of gal pals.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Such good roommates. I’m already preemptively mad for the Luca trailer queerbaiting us when it comes.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

anatomi posted:

You can’t hear the space in between the words but she isn’t saying “I’ve never had a girlfriend before” but rather “I’ve never had a girl friend before”.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Also: Lots of bright colors and pinks, like i said about the Croods 2
i'm on board for everything but the animal/alien sidekicks. the ken jeong sidekick has some real martin short from treasure planet energy

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
We need a new entry in the sherlock gnomes trilogy. I'm on the edge of my seat thinking how it will turn out!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FunkyAl posted:

We need a new entry in the sherlock gnomes trilogy. I'm on the edge of my seat thinking how it will turn out!

You should probably scoot back a little, you’d be more comfortable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The_Doctor posted:

You should probably scoot back a little, you’d be more comfortable.
Obviously not much of a fan if he doesn't know it's the Gnomioverse and Sherlock doesn't appear until the second film Jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Gnomeses