Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Get Kyle McLaughlin to play both Doom and Mr. Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Walton Goggins plays two different high schoolers in the In The Heat of the Night tv show. His first one gets blind after drinking some bad moonshine which leads to him getting in a car accident which gets his girlfriend killed.

The second one he plays a jealous incel type who blows his head off with a shotgun in front of Mr. Tibbs's wife which gives her PTSD so bad it eventually leads to their divorce.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Adam Sandler as Mr. Doom. Raised as Victor Van Calamity, he grew up with a normal working class life but everything changed when his estranged father dies and he's revealed to be royalty! Rob Schnider has a cameo as Reed Richards.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CGI’d Chris Farley as The Thing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
John Cena as Dr. Doom.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

John Cena as Dr. Doom.

Sounds more like a Paul Heyman role

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Adam Sandler as Mr. Doom. Raised as Victor Van Calamity, he grew up with a normal working class life but everything changed when his estranged father dies and he's revealed to be royalty! Rob Schnider has a cameo as Reed Richards.

I mean, this sounds like it could actually work with the right script. We need more supervillain comedies.

Bonus points in that, much like regular Doom, he's still better than probably the majority of world leaders.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gatts posted:

What if we cast a drag queen as Doom?

Want to get people really upset? Get an actual Roma actor to play Doom.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Danny McBride would be a pretty funny Doom

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

josh04 posted:

RuPaul has the right kind of dictatorial terror, and has been known address the world via video link from behind a gruesome face mask. But would Doom frack Latveria?

Doom fracks as he pleases!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Now Walton Goggins has to be Reed.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Justified would be good without him. But it was absolutely great with him. His performance elevated that show in every episode he showed up in.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So how do you create TENSION anymore in the MCU since now time travel is basically trivial?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

So how do you create TENSION anymore in the MCU since now time travel is basically trivial?

They just ignore it ever existed like they do with basically anything that is introduced that should fundamentally alter the stakes

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Guy A. Person posted:

They just ignore it ever existed like they do with basically anything that is introduced that should fundamentally alter the stakes

Because time travel, as it exists in the MCU, can't actually change the present. They used time travel to take the stones out of the past and bring them into the present. But it's not like that meant they no longer existed in their own past. Which makes no sense, if you think about it for too long, but it's the rules for time travel as they laid it out in their universe, so it's not like they can go back in time to change anything.

Say some bad guy blows up a building. They can't go back in time and stop that bad guy from blowing up the building. That building will always have blown up. In theory, I guess they could go and bring each person who was in the building forward in time before they are killed in the explosion? But that starts getting a bit messier the larger scale you get.

Basically, the weird, non-sense rules they've established is that you can't use time travel to change past events, therefore you can't use it to change the present. You can use time travel to bring things from the past into the present. But that has limited uses, and I'm guessing won't come up again.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Downs a Miller Lite, "I'm loving in, you're loving out! You got that Reed?!"

Hops on rocket powered jet ski and speeds off

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
MCU time travel is more of a Star Trek holodeck. You go to the holodeck version of New York and take a holodeck Infinity Stone out, you then have to put it back when you're done so the program doesn't get corrupted or whatever. Past Thanos attacking is basically Holodeck Moriarty running amok ("real holographic simulated Evil Lincoln is baaaaaack!") and Captain America lives out his life with a virtual wife which I think also happened in Star Trek at one point

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Because time travel, as it exists in the MCU, can't actually change the present. They used time travel to take the stones out of the past and bring them into the present. But it's not like that meant they no longer existed in their own past. Which makes no sense, if you think about it for too long, but it's the rules for time travel as they laid it out in their universe, so it's not like they can go back in time to change anything.

Say some bad guy blows up a building. They can't go back in time and stop that bad guy from blowing up the building. That building will always have blown up. In theory, I guess they could go and bring each person who was in the building forward in time before they are killed in the explosion? But that starts getting a bit messier the larger scale you get.

Basically, the weird, non-sense rules they've established is that you can't use time travel to change past events, therefore you can't use it to change the present. You can use time travel to bring things from the past into the present. But that has limited uses, and I'm guessing won't come up again.

Well like you said, even under these "limited" rules you can bring back dead people by retrieving them from the timeline just before they died, "clone" powerful people in the same way (sorry Thanos, here's 2,000 Thors to fight while we go about our daily lives, have fun), retrieve or copy destroyed artifacts/technology, etc.

For something with a "limited" use it would still be great for the types of problems super heros typically have to solve.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MacheteZombie posted:

Downs a Miller Lite, "I'm loving in, you're loving out! You got that Reed?!"

Hops on rocket powered jet ski and speeds off

A Kenny Powers-esque Dr. Doom show would loving rule.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Nothing in their history makes me think that building tension is a particular concern for Marvel. The MCU is comedies with spectacle, like Ghostbusters and Jumanji. They're not making thrillers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Guy A. Person posted:

Well like you said, even under these "limited" rules you can bring back dead people by retrieving them from the timeline just before they died, "clone" powerful people in the same way (sorry Thanos, here's 2,000 Thors to fight while we go about our daily lives, have fun), retrieve or copy destroyed artifacts/technology, etc.

For something with a "limited" use it would still be great for the types of problems super heros typically have to solve.

I imagine the next Doc Strange movie will put the kibosh on all that. Possibly something about the way the Avengers hosed things up for multiple universes in Endgame and a time/dimension-guarding entity telling Strange to cut the poo poo out.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Well like you said, even under these "limited" rules you can bring back dead people by retrieving them from the timeline just before they died*

*Does not apply to Black Widow for some never-explained reason, at least until Scarlett is offered enough money to show up for some crossover event movie in Phase 6

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I only watched the DC comic movies recently, and Wonder Woman and Aquaman kind of bugged me because I wasn't sure what their "power levels" were. They both seemed to be at least insanely durable, if not invincible (only Ares can kill Wonder Woman and vice versa) but then Aquaman gets swarmed by fish monsters, why are they dangerous to him when a grenade to the face isn't? Because they're Atlantean fish? I can't quite put my finger on why but Man Of Steel seemed to do a better job of establishing that Superman is 100% impervious to harm, except maybe from another another of his own kind. Perhaps that's just because I'm more familiar with Superman from pop culture. I appreciated Shazam making the "power level" clear by having the character himself figure it out over the course of the movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I think the fish monsters are supposed to be some ways between Aquaman and normal humans. Like, all the undersea folk are unusually strong and tough compared to humans in order to survive at depth, and then the royalty are another level beyond that. So normal humans without access to Atlantean technology or the like aren't a threat to the royals, but the regular undersea folk can be dangerous if there's enough of them, and would rip through humans like they're nothing.

Whereas there's not an equivalent mid-tier with Superman in Man of Steel.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's also not quite as impoftant what their power level is if there is a billion of them.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Matt Berry as Doctor Doom

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

gently caress it. Face/Off remake with Matt Berry and Danny McBride.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Detective No. 27 posted:

They're already remaking it!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Walter Goggins always plays super progressive characters even though he's a die-hard Republican.

You're talking about the actor that played Shane on The Shield.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gillian Anderson and Cate Blanchett.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well poo poo now that I've been introduced to the idea of genderswapped Face/Off whatever they actually do is going to be super disappointing. I want to see more gender swap remakes, I think it might take some pressure off the lead to not imitate the original and maybe do their own thing.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the entire point of Face/Off is to have two fairly serious actors doing big unflattering impressions of each other. needs like Christian Bale and Tom Hardy

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Gender swapped Charlie's Angels maybe?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

the entire point of Face/Off is to have two fairly serious actors doing big unflattering impressions of each other. needs like Christian Bale and Tom Hardy

That would be amazing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

Tom Hardy and Logan Marshall Green.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jenny Agutter posted:

Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So many good suggestions.

Mine is John Cena and The Rock

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

You can sortof revive someone but you've essentially just made it so another timeline doesn't have that same person. Morally it's not really an acceptable thing to do.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You can sortof revive someone but you've essentially just made it so another timeline doesn't have that same person. Morally it's not really an acceptable thing to do.

Oh yeah I'm sure they really give a poo poo about that

Also the ending with Cap still doesn't make sense within their own logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They clearly do give a poo poo about that because they return all the stones at the end of the film as promised