Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Knocked a good 2.5 minutes off my Alpe du Zwift time tonight! At 52.27, Sub 50 minutes is seeming achievable.

Set ERG to about 220-230 and you can do it pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m on dumb trainer + power meter so no ERG for me!

I’ll likely get a proper trainer for the winter.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tylertfb posted:

I just bought myself a birthday "present" of an Eilte Suito trainer and am getting my workout area set up. It's easy to set-up / take down, so my wife will let me use it in our second bedroom that is also her work-from-home office. What kinds of mats / towels / fans are you all using to keep sweat from getting everywhere and stinking up the place?

Get a real trainer mat and not a yoga mat or garage mat. The Wahoo one is probably the nicest and largest.
Any medium sized towel will be fine. Never leave your towel draped over the bars or bike after a workout.
Get a Lasko blower fan or two. The front one should be slightly off to the side blowing at your core. The optional second can be set up to blow on your back to prevent swamp rear end.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

This is almost certainly physiologically harder than just turning off the controller altogether and just picking a gear combo / cadence that averages X watts.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

This is almost certainly physiologically harder than just turning off the controller altogether and just picking a gear combo / cadence that averages X watts.

That hasn’t been my experience. The little changes in grade are annoying, especially around the turns. You wind up losing quite a bit of power and then you have to bring the watts back up when the grade comes back in. Feels much easier to just stay at x watts, and you don’t lose time in the corners or have to shift.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

That hasn’t been my experience. The little changes in grade are annoying, especially around the turns. You wind up losing quite a bit of power and then you have to bring the watts back up when the grade comes back in. Feels much easier to just stay at x watts, and you don’t lose time in the corners or have to shift.

I said turn off the controller, so there's no grade changes felt. Also riding at a machine-like precision on variable pitches is suboptimal. You absolutely want to raise your power on steeper portions and dial it back when it gets shallower. ERG doesn't allow this without fumbling around with +/- buttons, but turning your trainer into a "dumb trainer" still allows you to modulate your power.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Not sure what the right thread is for this question (if I should post this in the main bike thread please let me know), but I have a stationary bike that I use 5-6 days a week. The bike itself is perfect for my use case, but the seat is uncomfortable and numbing after about 20 minutes. I typically am in the saddle as opposed to above it (the bike is well made but I’m not sure was designed for extensive use coming out of the saddle) and my position is sometimes aggressive but probably more often upright. I *think* I don’t care as much about padding as the compression / numbing, so I’m guessing this will be more about construction and configuration than whether or not the saddle is firm.

Any suggestions on a saddle that might be more comfortable? I realize this may (probably will) involve going to a shop to try a few out, but I’d like to narrow it down a bit, and I don’t know whether I’d be able to test a store saddle out for long enough to be sure about how it is likely to perform. If there are any brand / model suggestions I’d be super grateful, and I’d also be interested to know whether ones with no nose are apt to be better or worse than ones with a nose but pressure relief (which seems to be the more common solution).

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I think it all comes down to personal fit. I've read that if you're having butt issues the first thing you should do is triple check your fit, and if that's all good then you need to got to a bike shop to get your sit bones measured, especially if you're doing it as frequently as you say and you're still going numb after 20 minutes.

As far as the nose/no nose goes that's a bit of a triathlon thing since you're in a super low position most of the time you don't really need a nose. It's making its way to more road bikes now though so of you find it more comfortable then go for it.

I don't think brands matter that much. You generally get what you pay for but again, it depends on your personal butt feelings.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

Not sure what the right thread is for this question (if I should post this in the main bike thread please let me know), but I have a stationary bike that I use 5-6 days a week. The bike itself is perfect for my use case, but the seat is uncomfortable and numbing after about 20 minutes. I typically am in the saddle as opposed to above it (the bike is well made but I’m not sure was designed for extensive use coming out of the saddle) and my position is sometimes aggressive but probably more often upright. I *think* I don’t care as much about padding as the compression / numbing, so I’m guessing this will be more about construction and configuration than whether or not the saddle is firm.

Any suggestions on a saddle that might be more comfortable? I realize this may (probably will) involve going to a shop to try a few out, but I’d like to narrow it down a bit, and I don’t know whether I’d be able to test a store saddle out for long enough to be sure about how it is likely to perform. If there are any brand / model suggestions I’d be super grateful, and I’d also be interested to know whether ones with no nose are apt to be better or worse than ones with a nose but pressure relief (which seems to be the more common solution).

Can this stationary bike fit a regular bike saddle, with the two parallel rails?

I highly recommend the specialized power saddle. I have 4 now.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

What's up with Zwift workout plans and the workout unlock times? I started the FTP builder plan last week and did a couple of the prep workouts, and it's unlocking the 4 different workout for me on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings, which seems sensible. My partner decided to try the same plan, and it's unlocking the workouts at night for her, instead of in the morning, which is weird. Is there some scheduling setting somewhere?

EDIT: Screenshots:

Mine:

My partner's:

I've also just noticed that in spite of her starting the plan on Monday (which is when all Zwift plans start), they've bizarrely given her 6 hours to complete three pre-plan workouts.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 31, 2020

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Troubleshooting issue for the brain trust (and Sufferfest support has not been useful thus far):

Got a Kickr Core, and a Tickr Fit HRM to replace my Tickr chest strap that rusted out. I like Sufferfest as my training app of choice - Kickr pairs through bluetooth perfectly, but the HRM is undetected. Both show as available bluetooth devices in Windows, and there is no problem in Zwift either. All devices work on my Edge 520 too, though the HRM might be doing ANT+ there.

The searching wheel just keeps going under add new device in the Sufferfest app in Windows.

I just tried on a second machine to pair the HRM only, and still undetected. I dunno, and support says the HRM is fully compatible...I presume this would resolve itself with an ANT+ dongle but c'mon.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Any other app tying up the Bluetooth? Wahoo’s app on your phone, or Zwift, etc?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Any other app tying up the Bluetooth? Wahoo’s app on your phone, or Zwift, etc?

Nope, phone BT radio is off and there are no other apps on the second computer aside from Sufferfest (and the laptop is powered off).

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

compressioncut posted:

Nope, phone BT radio is off and there are no other apps on the second computer aside from Sufferfest (and the laptop is powered off).

I have issues bridging the TICKR FIT through the Zwift Companion app on my iPhone, but it shows up in the Wahoo Fitness app just fine. It also pairs with Zwift on an Apple TV just fine. There is definitely some interplay issue between Zwift and the TICKR FIT specifically. My Polar H10 chest strap just works with everything.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve always had weird pairing issues with the tickr fit, it’s fine like 90% of the time but sometimes it was just really annoying. I recently switched to a scoshe rythm and haven’t run into any issues yet.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I think it all comes down to personal fit. I've read that if you're having butt issues the first thing you should do is triple check your fit, and if that's all good then you need to got to a bike shop to get your sit bones measured, especially if you're doing it as frequently as you say and you're still going numb after 20 minutes.

As far as the nose/no nose goes that's a bit of a triathlon thing since you're in a super low position most of the time you don't really need a nose. It's making its way to more road bikes now though so of you find it more comfortable then go for it.

I don't think brands matter that much. You generally get what you pay for but again, it depends on your personal butt feelings.

Can this stationary bike fit a regular bike saddle, with the two parallel rails?

I highly recommend the specialized power saddle. I have 4 now.

It’s been a few days since I logged on and I just saw your replies. Thanks so much for the feedback! I wound up trying to nose down the saddle a bit, which relieved pressure right away but also made me feel like I was sliding forward the whole time. So I do still need to find a better solution.

I was pretty careful during the setup, and I think the overall fit of the bike and positioning of the seat are good. Probably either the saddle just completely sucks for longer use, or the measurements are off, or both. So, off to the bike store to get measured and get a new saddle.

The bike does have a standard post, and in digging around I saw Specialized mentioned a number of times. I absolutely will check out that model, and I really appreciate the recommendation. Someone else mentioned the Serfas RX line. Not sure how that compares, but I might check those out as well.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I wanted to get a decent trainer for quarantine but my girlfriend won the argument and we ended up with a Peloton. I was/am surprised at how much I like it although it’s mostly from the convenience I think. I was riding outdoors 2-3 times per week but I’ve more or less just switched to indoor riding because I’m lazy and it’s been a hot and wet summer.

Seems like mostly trainer talk in here but a couple of indoor spin folks too. I’m sarsincharge on Peloton if anyone else is riding on there. My goal is to get to 600kj output on a 30 minute ride but I’m still quite far from there.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
333W is a good solid output. Re: turbo vs stationary bike, frankly, if I had the space for a watt bike rather than my kickr I'd prefer the watt bike

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

TobinHatesYou posted:

I have issues bridging the TICKR FIT through the Zwift Companion app on my iPhone, but it shows up in the Wahoo Fitness app just fine. It also pairs with Zwift on an Apple TV just fine. There is definitely some interplay issue between Zwift and the TICKR FIT specifically. My Polar H10 chest strap just works with everything.

It works perfectly fine in every Windows app I've tried except Wahoo's own Sufferfest...bizarre. No loving around with BT radios and making sure it's not attached anywhere else, it just works. Sufferfest support has yet to get back to me outside of their first reply assuring me the Fit works just fine.

Long story short, I'm a Trainerroad guy now, with Zwift for loving around. Tried Rouvy but didn't like it much, though the simulation mode was very good. The "AR" was too jarring, with your poorly animated little guy in the real world. I'll try FulGaz based on name alone, but the sole review calling it "junk" is not encouraging.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Lyon posted:

I wanted to get a decent trainer for quarantine but my girlfriend won the argument and we ended up with a Peloton. I was/am surprised at how much I like it although it’s mostly from the convenience I think. I was riding outdoors 2-3 times per week but I’ve more or less just switched to indoor riding because I’m lazy and it’s been a hot and wet summer.

Seems like mostly trainer talk in here but a couple of indoor spin folks too. I’m sarsincharge on Peloton if anyone else is riding on there. My goal is to get to 600kj output on a 30 minute ride but I’m still quite far from there.

On that note they released an upgraded Peloton and you should've gotten some money back

More on the new bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W5ffw24HSQ&feature=youtu.be

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/8/21427003/peloton-new-treadmill-bike-plus-exercise-equipment-features-price

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
Started a trial month of TR because I want to actually do some structured training and I must have over-performed on the FTP test because these sweet spot training sessions are killing me. Looking around it seems like HR should be between 65%-75% of max, and I'm definitely above that. Am I just being a baby or should I turn the intensity down for a while?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

colonel tom posted:

Started a trial month of TR because I want to actually do some structured training and I must have over-performed on the FTP test because these sweet spot training sessions are killing me. Looking around it seems like HR should be between 65%-75% of max, and I'm definitely above that. Am I just being a baby or should I turn the intensity down for a while?

Sweet Spot can suck. Are you able to complete them? If so, I wouldn’t turn down the intensity. They’ll get easier as you get further into the training plan as you’ll get fitter and understand how to pace them better.

I wouldn’t rely on HR for training since you have power as it can vary day to day based on what you eat, drink, how much you slept, etc.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

colonel tom posted:

What specifically, is your power source?

Don’t reference HR training zones based off of HRmax. If you want HR zones that correlate better with power zones, then do a 30min all-out (and I mean it...all-out) effort and take the average of the last 20min. That will be your LTHR.

SST definitely shouldn’t be “killing” you. What percentage of FT are these sweetspot intervals? At 65-75% of max I’d be around 70-88% of FT and that’s way lower than what I consider SST.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 21, 2020

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

Sweet Spot can suck. Are you able to complete them? If so, I wouldn’t turn down the intensity. They’ll get easier as you get further into the training plan as you’ll get fitter and understand how to pace them better.

I wouldn’t rely on HR for training since you have power as it can vary day to day based on what you eat, drink, how much you slept, etc.

I'm able to complete them but I find my self really watching the timer count down. Maybe that's normal and how hard they should be.

TobinHatesYou posted:

What specifically, is your power source?

Don’t reference HR training zones based off of HRmax. If you want HR zones that correlate better with power zones, then do a 30min all-out (and I mean it...all-out) effort and take the average of the last 20min. That will be your LTHR.

SST definitely shouldn’t be “killing” you. What percentage of FT are these sweetspot intervals? At 65-75% of max I’d be around 70-88% of FT and that’s way lower than what I consider SST.

I'm using a kickr for power. I don't know what my LTHR is, I'll have to try to figure that out some day. I did a max HR "test" last year with a really hard 20 minute run and it was around 190, and based on where I blow up on fast rides or whatever I think it's pretty close to accurate still.

TR says the intervals are at 88%-94% of FTP and my HR is typically bouncing around 180 near the end of them. I recover pretty well between intervals but it just seems harder than it should be based on some of the things I've read. It's been hot and my fan setup is somewhat lacking so that's not helping either.

Guess I'll just stick with it for now and see how things go.

e: I meant to add that the intervals feel "aerobic", as in I can breathe through them and I never feel like I'm starving for oxygen but I'm right on the edge.

colonel tom fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 21, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
For sustained efforts between 88-94% of FT, my HR would be between 75-81% of my HRmax and 82-87% of LTHR. Those percentages would be lower with shorter intervals since it takes time for HR to ramp up. It does seem like your FTP test got messed up somehow or your HRmax is a lot higher than you think. You obviously shouldn’t be at 95% of your HRmax for sub-threshold work. In order for me to hit 95% of HRmax I have to be doing 105-110% of FT.

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

For sustained efforts between 88-94% of FT, my HR would be between 75-81% of my HRmax and 82-87% of LTHR. Those percentages would be lower with shorter intervals since it takes time for HR to ramp up. It does seem like your FTP test got messed up somehow or your HRmax is a lot higher than you think. You obviously shouldn’t be at 95% of your HRmax for sub-threshold work. In order for me to hit 95% of HRmax I have to be doing 105-110% of FT.

I'm 39 so I can't imagine my HRmax is too much higher than what I think it is. I looked back at a couple workouts and I don't hit 180 until the end of the last couple intervals but even for the first one I'm around 170, which is still too high. I think I'll bump the intensity down a bit for now and re-do the FTP test in the near future to see if I get the same result.

colonel tom fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 21, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

colonel tom posted:

I'm 39 so I can't imagine my HRmax is too much higher than what I think it is. I looked back at a couple workouts and I don't hit 180 until the end of the last couple intervals but even for the first one I'm around 170, which is still too high. I think I'll bump the intensity down a bit for now and re-do the FTP test in the near future to see if I get the same result.

Age doesn't have much to do with an individual's max HR.

That is to say, your max HR will go down as you age, but that idiotic formula about 220-age or whatever is worthless.

There's no way you're getting close to your max HR doing sweetspot. Either your max is higher or your ftp is lower.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Do you have enough fans?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Hi thread I'm a mountain biker who is expecting to go crazy over the winter without being able to ride after work and hoping to maintain or build some fitness through the winter for those days I can get out when weather and light allow.

I have a MTB and a road bike and not sure which I'd use for training, mtb would be nice as it's what I'm used to but I feel like road might be easier to setup as it's QR and most people seem to put road bikes on trainers.

A connected trainer with all the fancy stuff would be cool but I think I'd also be happy to use a HRM and a spinny fan on and just watch TV or whatever while I ride. It's be cool to be able to use both bikes but I don't know how that would work with different axle types, diameters, and hub widths between bikes.

I was thinking of buying used, are there any decent units or terms to search for in particular?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Hi thread I'm a mountain biker who is expecting to go crazy over the winter without being able to ride after work and hoping to maintain or build some fitness through the winter for those days I can get out when weather and light allow.

I have a MTB and a road bike and not sure which I'd use for training, mtb would be nice as it's what I'm used to but I feel like road might be easier to setup as it's QR and most people seem to put road bikes on trainers.

A connected trainer with all the fancy stuff would be cool but I think I'd also be happy to use a HRM and a spinny fan on and just watch TV or whatever while I ride. It's be cool to be able to use both bikes but I don't know how that would work with different axle types, diameters, and hub widths between bikes.

I was thinking of buying used, are there any decent units or terms to search for in particular?

You should get rollers, they are more engaging, and you can use either bike you want (altho your mtb will be buzzy).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hey friends. I'm an experienced indoor(gym) and outdoor rider alike. Looking to augment the indoor game since the world has ended etc. Any suggestions?

I ride 20k+ miles a year combined. While indoor biking, if im not trying to legit hustle or beat times or something, im usually playing video games, reading, or doing work on the PC. I don't know if any of that is relevant i'm just trying to paint my use case here. Looking around 15 hours a week usage probably. I don't care a ton about classes, but telemetrics might be interesting. My IRL outside riding is beset by constant hills and valleys and is in general a miserable pit of hell. Having enough resistance to simulate this misery would be neat.

I believe i've heard peloton also offers yoga classes, which would be a consideration for me. I'm basically completely quarantined and have been since march soooo. I don't really care about what it costs, its replacing multiple gym memberships etc.

I have zero interest in having my actual bicycles inside my house

Wondering if there is any familiarity with this company/product here: https://echelonfit.com/pages/compare-bikes

E: tbh im probably gonna just grab a peloton since i am lazy :shrug:

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 23, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Statutory Ape posted:

Hey friends. I'm an experienced indoor(gym) and outdoor rider alike. Looking to augment the indoor game since the world has ended etc. Any suggestions?

I ride 20k+ miles a year combined. While indoor biking, if im not trying to legit hustle or beat times or something, im usually playing video games, reading, or doing work on the PC. I don't know if any of that is relevant i'm just trying to paint my use case here. Looking around 15 hours a week usage probably. I don't care a ton about classes, but telemetrics might be interesting. My IRL outside riding is beset by constant hills and valleys and is in general a miserable pit of hell. Having enough resistance to simulate this misery would be neat.

I believe i've heard peloton also offers yoga classes, which would be a consideration for me. I'm basically completely quarantined and have been since march soooo. I don't really care about what it costs, its replacing multiple gym memberships etc.

I have zero interest in having my actual bicycles inside my house

Wondering if there is any familiarity with this company/product here: https://echelonfit.com/pages/compare-bikes

20000mi a year? And I thought I rode a lot.

Are you sure you actually ride this much? And if so post a photo of your legs.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 23, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

Is this the first time Tobin has asked for a leg pic instead of feet?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Statutory Ape posted:

Lazy people don't ride 50 mi a day.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can’t imagine how many hours a week 20k is. I’m usually close to 15 hours but I won’t hit 20k.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

TobinHatesYou posted:

im sure and im not showing you my body :)

kimbo305 posted:

Lazy people don't ride 50 mi a day.

:thejoke:

Worf fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 23, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Post your feet. And legs.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Statutory Ape posted:

im sure and im not showing you my body :)

:thejoke:

Post your feet at least.

If you're going to pay Peloton-money, you may as well get a StagesBike SB20 (or a Wahoo KICKR Bike) and a Zwift subscription.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Idgi, do you think the Peloton is a good choice for the mileage you’re doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Idgi, do you think the Peloton is a good choice for the mileage you’re doing?

Apparently the Peloton "plus" bike is actually pretty accurate now according to DCRainmaker, but it still won't play nice with other training apps.