Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/benmullin/status/1308087136072003585?s=21

Who would buy that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Tencent? Oh wait.

Edit: gently caress, should gone with SoftBank.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RagnarokZ posted:

Wrong: It sold to companies, when all your meetings are on Zoom, you don't have to buy and endless supply of meaningless wine as gifts.
Companies giving wine as gift is kinda messed up anyway.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

So you know how Tesla stocks have been skyrocketing to the point where even the dumbest auto manufacturers are coming around to the idea that EVs and other combustion-engine alternatives are legit? They've been scrambling to find partners and investments and etc. and along comes Nikola with their vision to use hydrogen and fuel cells and batteries for trucks and they got some good press and their stock value skyrocketed to like $80 and now the house of cards is crumbling.

A short-seller posted this insane list of claims:

https://hindenburgresearch.com/nikola/

Nikola rebutted, which created a new rebuttal, see thread here:

https://twitter.com/Nikola_Truth/status/1305840405443940352

Among the AMAZING claims is that a video they made to quiet things down showing the truck was actually made by simply towing the truck uphill and then letting it roll downhill which is the funniest poo poo I have ever heard especially because some lawyer clearly got involved and instead of making the youtube video something like "Nikola 1 driving!" they made it "Nikola 1 in motion" because technically rolling downhill is "in motion".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAToxJ9CGb8

Today the founder resigned and the stock price has NOT reacted favorably to that development.

The list of things they did makes it looks like a dumber less successful Theranos but for fuel cell trucks. Just spectacular lies that were easily disproved, running a cable up under a stage to make a truck look like it was "on", claiming they were using proprietary third-party batteries until the founder of that company resigned for using his expense account to hire prostitutes and it turns out the batteries never existed.

Just bonkers. With the founded resigning there are rumors more are coming.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Eddie Lampert.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He’s got his plate full with digging Sears’ grave

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Yes because that's what the people want, 5 minute clips of Anne Kendrick going on a adventure with a talking sex doll.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Eddie Lampert.

Lampert, Lampert
what a prick

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tom Tucker posted:

So you know how Tesla stocks have been skyrocketing to the point where even the dumbest auto manufacturers are coming around to the idea that EVs and other combustion-engine alternatives are legit? They've been scrambling to find partners and investments and etc. and along comes Nikola with their vision to use hydrogen and fuel cells and batteries for trucks and they got some good press and their stock value skyrocketed to like $80 and now the house of cards is crumbling.

A short-seller posted this insane list of claims:

https://hindenburgresearch.com/nikola/

Nikola rebutted, which created a new rebuttal, see thread here:

https://twitter.com/Nikola_Truth/status/1305840405443940352

Among the AMAZING claims is that a video they made to quiet things down showing the truck was actually made by simply towing the truck uphill and then letting it roll downhill which is the funniest poo poo I have ever heard especially because some lawyer clearly got involved and instead of making the youtube video something like "Nikola 1 driving!" they made it "Nikola 1 in motion" because technically rolling downhill is "in motion".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAToxJ9CGb8

Today the founder resigned and the stock price has NOT reacted favorably to that development.

The list of things they did makes it looks like a dumber less successful Theranos but for fuel cell trucks. Just spectacular lies that were easily disproved, running a cable up under a stage to make a truck look like it was "on", claiming they were using proprietary third-party batteries until the founder of that company resigned for using his expense account to hire prostitutes and it turns out the batteries never existed.

Just bonkers. With the founded resigning there are rumors more are coming.

Lol. Rolling a semi truck down a hill is going in the investor deception hall of fame.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

quote:

Inexpensive hydrogen is fundamental to the success of Nikola’s business model. Trevor has claimed in a presentation to hundreds of people and in multiple interviews to have succeeded at cutting the cost of hydrogen by ~81% compared to peers and to already be producing hydrogen. Nikola has not produced hydrogen at this price or at any price as he later admitted when pressed by media.

Trevor has appointed his brother, Travis, as “Director of Hydrogen Production/Infrastructure” to oversee this critical part of the business. Travis’s prior experience looks to have largely consisted of pouring concrete driveways and doing subcontractor work on home renovations in Hawaii.

I cannot stop laughing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BigDave posted:

Yes because that's what the people want, 5 minute clips of Anne Kendrick going on a adventure with a talking sex doll.

I do want that but not enough to sign up for yet another service.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ariong posted:

I cannot stop laughing.
Jesus Christ

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/1308132559826505729?s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tom Tucker posted:

So you know how Tesla stocks have been skyrocketing to the point where even the dumbest auto manufacturers are coming around to the idea that EVs and other combustion-engine alternatives are legit?

That isn't why Tesla stock is stupidly overvalued.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bury me with my golden arm

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Groovelord Neato posted:

That isn't why Tesla stock is stupidly overvalued.

Also other manufacturers had been making electric cars before Tesla was even founded.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Also other manufacturers had been making reliable electric cars before Tesla was even founded.

Telsa is form over function, tons of consumer reports have put many other EVs over Tesla. It's literally just "great tech savior" hype.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't know why someone wouldn't just buy a Leaf

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

maybe something a little less ugly than a leaf though

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

pentyne posted:

Telsa is form over function, tons of consumer reports have put many other EVs over Tesla. It's literally just "great tech savior" hype.
Form and disruption over function. They kept going on about how the traditional dealership model is so awful and how their direct-to-consumer model is so much better for a reason.

(To be fair dealerships are loving awful, but Tesla's operations are too much of a shitshow for anyone to honestly believe they're trying to do better)

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Pick posted:

The batteries in Leaf's are not actively cooled and the first generation had tons of battery failures because of it in hot climates like Phoenix. The interior is also very plain for the price. Nissan is releasing the Ariya soon that doesn't cost substantially more than a Leaf SL e-plus but it is much better in every possible way.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Ariong posted:

I cannot stop laughing.

The best part of the hydrogen claim is that if he actually could make hydrogen at 19% the current cost it wouldn’t be the “make a fuel cell truck” kind of innovation but the “make our entire economy run on hydrogen in the next decade” innovation.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

McPhearson posted:

The batteries in Leaf's are not actively cooled and the first generation had tons of battery failures because of it in hot climates like Phoenix. The interior is also very plain for the price. Nissan is releasing the Ariya soon that doesn't cost substantially more than a Leaf SL e-plus but it is much better in every possible way.

who the gently caress lives in Phoenix

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pick posted:

who the gently caress lives in Phoenix

over one and a half million people, supposedly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Leafs (Leaves?) lose a huge amount of their value surprisingly quickly. From what I've read there's a glut of Leafs (Leaves?) with around 40k miles in the used car market. They're not bad cars, at least the later models. People just don't like them. A 5 year old Leaf is worth about 11% of it's original value.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33935142/tesla-model-3-depreciate-electric-car/

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Leafs (Leaves?) lose a huge amount of their value surprisingly quickly. From what I've read there's a glut of Leafs (Leaves?) with around 40k miles in the used car market. They're not bad cars, at least the later models. People just don't like them. A 5 year old Leaf is worth about 11% of it's original value.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33935142/tesla-model-3-depreciate-electric-car/

The whole battery can/does degrade rapidly thing hasn't helped.

A Gen2 Volt has more range than some used Leafs I've seen.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/BobbyM62/status/1308381470835314689

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sizzler is where you go as a kid and think that it's the fanciest poo poo ever.

Then you grow up and hit up casual Italian places or gastrobistros and Sizzler looks like Golden Corral

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eh, I remember going to a Sizzler near my house as a kid and the only good thing was their ice cream bar (this was like the late 80s/early 90s).

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Goddamn I'd like to try a Ponderosa again since the 1970s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We didn't have Sizzler around here I only knew it via media as the trashy place the sleazebag would want to go to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It was fancy to a kid because it was gloomiest restaurant around. Just isolated table lamps and wall sconces with a salad bar off in the distance like a lighthouse, safely delivering you to it's chilled vegetables and cold chopped ham.

I miss gloomy restaurants. Especially ones that served drinks in those big red or amber pebbled plastic cups.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

It was fancy to a kid because it was gloomiest restaurant around. Just isolated table lamps and wall sconces with a salad bar off in the distance like a lighthouse, safely delivering you to it's chilled vegetables and cold chopped ham.

I miss gloomy restaurants. Especially ones that served drinks in those big red or amber pebbled plastic cups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzMlaEdRT0Y

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

You nailed it, I love that aesthetic and it feels impossible to find, these days, and you

just barely beat me to this

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Pastry of the Year posted:

You nailed it, I love that aesthetic and it feels impossible to find, these days, and you

just barely beat me to this

Black Angus is like that. It's almost like eating alone in a lighted alcove of a cowboy cave. It's so dark in there you'll find yourself instinctively scared of the glowering phantoms in the other booths.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Schubalts posted:

Also other manufacturers had been making electric cars before Tesla was even founded.

Not really.

I mean, there were antiques, and a small number of cars that escaped the crusher after California’s ZEV mandate was withdrawn, and there were neighborhood electric vehicles that can’t go on a freeway, but for several years, Tesla was the only game in town.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Sep 23, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bern’s Steakhouse in Tampa is an older place and they have that vibe

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's a chain called Hoss's in Pennsylvania and West Virginia that has exactly that vibe. And it has exactly the clientele you expect.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There's a chain called Hoss's in Pennsylvania and West Virginia that has exactly that vibe. And it has exactly the clientele you expect.

I used to gorge myself on their cinnamon bread with frosting. Clearly not the best idea though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3YGtQ40Qvs