Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Poopernickel posted:

I think I whiffed with a company last week. Had 3rd-round interviews, including one third-round coding test.

the test was "implement a vending-machine controller in C", like the kind of thing that you'd give as a lab in an embedded systems class. Straightforward problem - except that I had 30 minutes to finish it. I didn't. This was for a position that mostly involves maintaining an in-house Linux distro.

Other coding tests that I did fine on included:
1. design a packet queue
2. write a pool allocator

Today, I got an email from their HR department asking to schedule a time to talk, with no additional details or feedback. Sounds like I'm going to get a "thanks for applying, better luck somewhere else" call today.

IM(limited)E HR/Hiring Manager scheduling a meeting is usually a good sign. A standard "thanks for applying, we've decided to pursue other candidates, etc" rejection email gets the job done without having to deal with scheduling a meeting.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sapozhnik posted:

Maybe to catch you off guard and then segue straight into a figgies conversation?

my company doesn’t actually talk figgies until you go back on site for the reverse interview so it wasn’t that. they just seemed to be meticulous about sending neutral emails for some reason.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

many hr departments carefully avoid putting anything in writing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

Today, I got an email from their HR department asking to schedule a time to talk, with no additional details or feedback. Sounds like I'm going to get a "thanks for applying, better luck somewhere else" call today.

this is a good sign, rejections are usually done over email or at least through the recruiter. there's no need for a rejected applicant to ever talk to HR unless they're, like, worried somebody harassed you during the interview or something like that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i did some rejections by phone sometimes, depending on how panel felt about giving feedback back to them. feedback over email is cowardice, feedback over phone is still cowardice but what can you do if candidate is 2000 miles away, ill fight panels to give rejection feedback but i aint gettin on a plane for rejection feedback

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 8, 2020

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Outcome: they want to offer me a senior engineer position. I applied for staff engineer.

So maybe if the offer's really good, I'll still consider it?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Would taking it leave you better off than you are now?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Haven't seen the offer yet - so maybe? Current job is fine, but the pay is a little on the low side.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if it ends up being low responsibility with high pay then sign me up

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Get them figgies

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Progressive JPEG posted:

if it ends up being low responsibility with high pay then sign me up

same

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Someone at the staff engineer level shouldn't be thinking about "better off" just in terms of compensation. Yes, you don't want to take a big cut, but there are other things to think about too. Is spending two years in this job going to leave you better positioned for what you want to do after than spending those two years at your current company? Is it lower stress? Will you like the people better?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

new job update/cjs x-post:

ThePeavstenator posted:

cjs:

Gave notice today. Looking forward to stacking paper and not having to come into an office and wear a mask all day to touch computers during a pandemic because "that's our policy".

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I'm expecting an interview at a cyber security company soon, focusing on their Windows EDR offering.

I've got over a decade of experience in a related space so I'm not too worried but I'd still like to make sure I prepare as thoroughly as possible.

I went through all of the books I have on relevant topics for review (eg windows internals, driver development books, algorithms, data structures), did a hundred hacker rank challenges, and brushed up on a bunch of soft skills questions.

Is there other poo poo I should be preparing for or just get a good night's sleep and let 'er rip?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well, you haven't even said if it's a swe, sre, security engineer, etc role so it's hard to give advice without knowing what to give advice about. if you're doing hackerrank it's probably swe, so:

titaniumone posted:

just get a good night's sleep and let 'er rip

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

ask them why they're loving up so bad ransomware keeps getting more effective and bundles poo poo like Mimikatz in for free these days without getting stopped.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

well, you haven't even said if it's a swe, sre, security engineer, etc role so it's hard to give advice without knowing what to give advice about. if you're doing hackerrank it's probably swe, so:

Yeah sorry, I should've said SWE.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Hi interviewing thread. I think I'm going to try to get a Staff Engineer (or at least on-the-track-to-become Staff Data Engineer) position once the pandemic lightens up. What kinds of things should i focus on in my resume to maximize my chances?

I'm planning on shopping it around now (and getting rejected a lot because I've been a senior data engineer for like twenty minutes rn) to practice and allow for a small chance that I might get lucky and find a spot.

Also, a related but more specific question: How can I make "Lead the team w/r/t Architectural Decisions, Scoping of Work, and Hiring" into a coherent bullet point? Maybe I'm trying to make one bullet point do too much work and I need to trim some of the other ones that emphasize code contributions/specific projects

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

Hi interviewing thread. I think I'm going to try to get a Staff Engineer (or at least on-the-track-to-become Staff Data Engineer) position once the pandemic lightens up. What kinds of things should i focus on in my resume to maximize my chances?

I'm planning on shopping it around now (and getting rejected a lot because I've been a senior data engineer for like twenty minutes rn) to practice and allow for a small chance that I might get lucky and find a spot.

Also, a related but more specific question: How can I make "Lead the team w/r/t Architectural Decisions, Scoping of Work, and Hiring" into a coherent bullet point? Maybe I'm trying to make one bullet point do too much work and I need to trim some of the other ones that emphasize code contributions/specific projects

Titles vary a lot by company, so I can't tell you exactly how it'll work at a given place, but in my mind the big skill you develop as a senior engineer is the ability to figure out what other people should do and to convince them to do it. Evidence of that is shipped products where you led a small group of engineers. At the staff level, you're leading a larger group of engineers in shipping multiple products, finding ways to make them more productive, and maybe getting involved in defining your organization's technical strategy. If you have any substantial experience doing those things, it's not going to fit in a single bullet point.

Hitting that level isn't guaranteed because you have to have the opportunities to practice doing those things and the soft skills/temperament to make it work. Lots of people are going to become lifetime senior engineers, and that's a perfectly good career.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ultrafilter posted:

Titles vary a lot by company, so I can't tell you exactly how it'll work at a given place, but in my mind the big skill you develop as a senior engineer is the ability to figure out what other people should do and to convince them to do it. Evidence of that is shipped products where you led a small group of engineers. At the staff level, you're leading a larger group of engineers in shipping multiple products, finding ways to make them more productive, and maybe getting involved in defining your organization's technical strategy. If you have any substantial experience doing those things, it's not going to fit in a single bullet point.

Hitting that level isn't guaranteed because you have to have the opportunities to practice doing those things and the soft skills/temperament to make it work. Lots of people are going to become lifetime senior engineers, and that's a perfectly good career.

At my employer “staff” just means you’ve been there a long time. We have one staff engineer on my team, and I correct his mistakes at least as often as he corrects mine. He’s a smart dude, but he doesn’t lead the group any more than I, a basic engineer with 3 years of experience, do.

E: I just checked the org chart, and the software group is entirely populated with staff engineers except for the new college grad they hired a couple years ago

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 15, 2020

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Corla Plankun posted:

how many people have you hired/what projects have you hired onto/what kinds of job descriptions have you been in charge of creating

what technologies have you chosen for which projects of what size? what methodologies did you use to decide?

what sorts of projects did you scope with what budgets and time horizons?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

recruiter just forwarded me the take home exercise for a position, it is literally just:

quote:

Make an HTTP request to a webpage and store the body of the request into a file. Once the file is created, create a new file that contains the checksum of that file.

this is the kind of thing where they're looking for candidates to add some bells and whistles to stand out isn't it?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Not necessarily. Lots of people can't do that, or will make it needlessly complex or bad.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Not necessarily. Lots of people can't do that, or will make it needlessly complex or bad.

Now I'm second guessing myself.

Knowing that this position is an automation engineer type gig for azure + terraform + ansible, I was going to build it as an azure function that saves to blob storage and include the terraform configurations in my submission.

Would you consider this needlessly complex?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
it’s kind of weird that they didn’t ask for any actual deliverable. like as written you could email back and say “ok I did it.”

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

raminasi posted:

it’s kind of weird that they didn’t ask for any actual deliverable. like as written you could email back and say “ok I did it.”

Sorry, they did ask for a zip of the code.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 16, 2020

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I lean towards providing a simple curl | md5 example and a show off tf example.

nice to have something that can run w/o aws creds

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PCjr sidecar posted:

this would be the pro move, yeah

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

this would be the pro move, yeah

I threw together a .ps1 and a .sh and will do the tf/azure thing tonight

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
been in a rut since i graduated a bit ago. read a bunch of language and framework books but feeling really unmotivated or clear with what i wanna be doing with any of it. more or less feeling not very good at anything or uncompetitive in the marketplace. everything is half learnt and out of practice cause there is just not much time. had a pretty refreshing experience learning elixir and functional programming earlier this year but i dont see that amounting to more than personal project stuff. mostly complaining about not having a niche or a clear goal moving forward at this point in my career.

on a positive note, someone here advised doing a hackerrank exercise every day, even if not actively job hunting. that was very good advice and helps me feel less like a huge turd. thanks!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

I'd say it's like a 90% chance it's just a screener and the first will be sufficient, especially if you haven't had any real interviews with them yet. Interviewings dumb though so who knows!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

quote:

Make an HTTP request to a webpage and store the body of the request into a file.

Is this verbatim ? The body of the request isn't going to change much if we're being pedantic

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

unpacked robinhood posted:

Is this verbatim ? The body of the request isn't going to change much if we're being pedantic

yikes maybe it’s a trick question

i hate that interviewing has made me cynical enough to think that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there was a big list of questions to ask at an interview floating around, anyone have it handy?

I have my own list but want to check it for things that I've missed

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
in op of this thread

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

in op of this thread

gently caress

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ugh, coding questions in google docs suck rear end. don’t do this, kids

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The Fool posted:

there was a big list of questions to ask at an interview floating around, anyone have it handy?

I have my own list but want to check it for things that I've missed

Not sure if you have the luxury to be picky, but if you do the Joel test is classic.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Mantle posted:

Not sure if you have the luxury to be picky, but if you do the Joel test is classic.

i had to google this and this seems pretty good

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/08/09/the-joel-test-12-steps-to-better-code/

my previous employer gets a whopping score of 1 based on this test, and even then it's hard to give them the full point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mantle posted:

Never heard of it, looks good.

Thankfully, I do have the luxury. Am currently employed and comfortable, but when recruiters actually have interesting jobs to offer you I'm going to follow through.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i had to google this and this seems pretty good

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/08/09/the-joel-test-12-steps-to-better-code/

my previous employer gets a whopping score of 1 based on this test, and even then it's hard to give them the full point

my current employer gets a 5 solely through my own efforts and I would be money that the score would go down after I leave