Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I bet they'll be under 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

even Tom D is saying he's doing numbers similar to when he was world TT champ.

These comments part of several statements coming within a hair's breadth of openly accusing Pogacar of being doped out the wazoo.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I do like all the mainstream sports media just posting all the "it was out of this world!" quotes like it's not a bunch of guys basically calling him a loving cheat lol

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
The last round of doping scandals did a ton of damage to the sport so it's understandable but yeah pretty funny to watch everyone just dance around the issue.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I read Pogi's time up the TT climb was like 2 seconds faster than the previous KOM. A great ride for sure, but not other worldly, he must be on good drugs type stuff.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Withnail posted:

I read Pogi's time up the TT climb was like 2 seconds faster than the previous KOM. A great ride for sure, but not other worldly, he must be on good drugs type stuff.

Bear in mind that the KOM times up any famous climb will a) be done fresh but also b) belong to people who absolutely do not have to worry about things like professional doping controls.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Vando posted:

Bear in mind that the KOM times up any famous climb will a) be done fresh but also b) belong to people who absolutely do not have to worry about things like professional doping controls.

Aru had the previous fastest time.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
The board of the beautiful girls

Pogacar 2020: 16:10
Fabio Aru 2017: 16:12
Chris Fr:shepface::shepface:me 2012: 16:20

Withnail fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 21, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Aru had the previous fastest time.

What event?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I believe they tested for PEDs during the 2017 Tour de France (Fabio Aru set the previous record during stage 5).

Edit: mr slow signing off

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Xabi posted:

I believe they tested for PEDs during the 2017 Tour de France (Fabio Aru set the previous record during stage 5).

Edit: mr slow signing off

premium Roglicposting

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
on the other hand if Roglic had won people would be kind of dancing around Jumbo as ex-Rabobank, so...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Yes it was a ridiculous performance but let's not forget Porte matched Dumoulin too

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
To be clear I'm not particularly on the Pog is doping train, it just made me laugh how unfiltered Dumoulin's comments were

quote:

His ride in Saturday's time trial was his best result at a Grand Tour since the final time trial at the 2018 Tour, even if the abiding memory of his performance will be his bewilderment at Pogačar's ride – "I don't know how Pogačar climbed a minute faster than I did," he said later on Saturday afternoon.

The theme of bewilderment continued on Sunday, with the 30-year-old insisting that he had put up power numbers comparable to his 2017 World Championships time trial victory in Bergen, Norway.

"My values were World Championship-worthy values. That's great to see," he said. "That's why I was all the more surprised that Pogačar was 1:21 faster.

"I'm sure I can tell you I'm never going to reach that level. I may be able to win one per cent somewhere, but not five per cent."

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Does seem odd Pogacar would be juice

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

peanut- posted:

To be clear I'm not particularly on the Pog is doping train, it just made me laugh how unfiltered Dumoulin's comments were

Dutch is a pretty straight spoken language without much ambiguity so he comes across as being sure of it all in translation.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

peanut- posted:

yeah same my response was more "don't base anything on KOMs" than any real feeling he's a cheat

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

peanut- posted:

Important to note that Big Tom didn't do a bike change, he was going up 15% gradients on his tri bars. He was also leading at the first two time checks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's probably not worth the slander/libel risk for media outlets to start casting aspersions, no matter how much they may personally think it dodgy.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Richie did 1825VAM including an approximately 20s time penalty from all the machinations of a bike change. Pogacar did 1865VAM. Not including a bike change, Pogacar would have been around 1905VAM and Richie around 1862VAM. Both these numbers are really, really, really good especially in the 40th minute of a time trial where presumably they were going right under threshold on the flatter section.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Looking at the time splits ( https://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=247299&p=today&s=time-splits&time24c=1&sortby=time24&filter=Apply ), TD only put 7 seconds on the climb into a very very dead Nairo, and was 12th on that bit of the course.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Strava segment: https://www.strava.com/segments/1539752

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

goatface posted:

It's probably not worth the slander/libel risk for media outlets to start casting aspersions, no matter how much they may personally think it dodgy.

The media have no idea either way, it's just amusing to me that they print all the stuff like it's a straight up compliment

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Tom Pidcock to Ineos is a done deal

Look forward to the young rider known for his explosive rides to win 3 stages of the baby giro being relegated to pacing Thomas up climbs

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Look forward to the young rider known for his explosive rides to win 3 stages of the baby giro being relegated to pacing Thomas up climbs

Would he even provide a draft?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I saw that this morning and my brain immediately went hog wild on the last name puns, but I guess I'll save those for liveposting

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
There would probably be more "just asking questions" in the english language press if it were Froome or G who got blitzed off the mountain and not a Slovenian dude on a Dutch team.

We'll never know either way and it's a weird season anyway since everyone is fresh. I'm sure some people took advantage of the lockdown and the relative lack of testing but whatever, it was a still good race and an exciting finish and hopefully that continues.

I just learned this morning that Porte is headed back to ineos, and now this? Why must they ruin everything. Gonna be sky train vs jumbo train but at least this year was fun!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

UAE are getting Mjaka for the Lampre train apparently

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They should just go full surf. No targets, no big trains, just absurd breakaways and long days out when the individuals feel up to it. They looked a lot better doing that this tour.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm just a casual fan and pretty much only watch the TdF but the way the NBC guys were reacting in the studio ["historic," "one of the all time great rides," etc.] after the time trial sounded pretty much exactly like how they sounded 10-15 years ago when Armstrong or Contador would just wreck everybody by 3 minutes on some HC climb. Super don't know enough about the sport to accuse anyone of anything I just had a flashback to the bad old days.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

This Arkea raid might actually be something

https://twitter.com/LVCKV/status/1308109539024211973?s=19

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

qirex posted:

I'm just a casual fan and pretty much only watch the TdF but the way the NBC guys were reacting in the studio ["historic," "one of the all time great rides," etc.] after the time trial sounded pretty much exactly like how they sounded 10-15 years ago when Armstrong or Contador would just wreck everybody by 3 minutes on some HC climb. Super don't know enough about the sport to accuse anyone of anything I just had a flashback to the bad old days.

contador was a clean lad and an all time great

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

contador was a clean lad and an all time great

great at making a poo poo excuse and then claiming he was the victim in all of this :qq:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What are the rules on intravenous rehydration? It seems like it would be an open invitation to gently caress about.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Skarsnik posted:

great at making a poo poo excuse and then claiming he was the victim in all of this :qq:

Railroaded by very biased British and English language media who couldn't stand a rider who attacked. Very sad.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
ban everyone but Tom, who is the only honest rider

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

qirex posted:

*stares in Froome attack at the Giro*

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Railroaded by very biased British and English language media who couldn't stand a rider who attacked. Very sad.

I realise you are not entirely serious but I still don't understand this thread giving him a pass just because he goes pew pew and does attacks

Attacks he was able to do because he was doping

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Would he even provide a draft?

Do you? Everyone yells at me because I provide no draft. Suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vando posted:

*stares in Froome attack at the Giro*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfQM8OaJaLs&t=175s