Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Casual Encountess posted:

why is it always space catholics? every now and again there's like space mormons in the expanse or like in ender's game, but nobody else. I think there's space muslims in Pitch Black but I can't recall any other muslims in space. where the space protestants at???

im holdin out for Astroquakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
first reformed apostolic church of jesus christ astronaut (amazonis synod)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rjmccall posted:

first reformed apostolic church of jesus christ astronaut (amazonis synod)

♬ jesus christ ♫ neutron star ♪

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there are space jews in Hyperion

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

church of christ, cosmonaut

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

where the space protestants at???
what better representation for wasps than hive mind aliens

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

there are space jews in Hyperion

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

why is it always space catholics? every now and again there's like space mormons in the expanse or like in ender's game, but nobody else. I think there's space muslims in Pitch Black but I can't recall any other muslims in space. where the space protestants at???

the literal cornerstone of protestantism is schism and freaking the gently caress out and starting your own splinter organization when you have the slightest disagreement with management. They're intrinsically unsuited to space travel, which requires large, collaborative projects to be pulled off flawlessly.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

the literal cornerstone of protestantism is schism and freaking the gently caress out and starting your own splinter organization when you have the slightest disagreement with management. They're intrinsically unsuited to space travel, which requires large, collaborative projects to be pulled off flawlessly.
:hmmyes:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

otoh if you have Culture-level tech where all the hard stuff is taken care of by the Minds then storming out to start your own religion with X & Y sounds perfectly feasible.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

y'all know that before the protestants end of monarchy there were continuous, frequently violent schisms in catholicism? for like 1 month in the 15th century there were 3 popes

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 21, 2020

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

qirex posted:

y'all know that before the protestants there were continuous, frequently violent schisms in catholicism? for like 1 month in the 15th century there were 3 popes
sometimes you just gotta get all hosed up on popes

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

qirex posted:

y'all know that before the protestants there were continuous, frequently violent schisms in catholicism? for like 1 month in the 15th century there were 3 popes

they just kept popeing up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
didn't protestantism only happen because henry viii wanted to divorce his wife

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the cannibal island religion bits in consider phlebas always seemed a bit off for a culture-aligned orbital

also a big part of why I don’t recommend it as a first culture book

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

wrong schism

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

also if we’re talking 15th century, something NOT being frequently violent was considered unusual

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

qirex posted:

y'all know that before the protestants end of monarchy there were continuous, frequently violent schisms in catholicism? for like 1 month in the 15th century there were 3 popes

cadaver synod, lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

yeah and we GOT IT OUT OF OUR FUCKIN SYSTEM and now the only real divide in incense and chanting land are the weirdos who don't acknowledge vatican ii. It's ok to bicker, just don't make it your modus operandi

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

anyway most scifi authors suck at religion, the ancillary/radtch books probably get it close where there's a strict set of cultural norms but nearly everyone breaks them in small ways, continuously

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

some medieval scholars had a lol GoT blog series that was entertaining

other than making fun of the nerd chorus of ‘shows it how brutal it really is, man’ was they emphasized that it was a big deal none of the characters actually appeared to believe in the gods and how big of a deal that would have been

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

haveblue posted:

it was already a thing, he made his own flavour to get a divorce but I don't think he got on with the various continental protestants

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's a great line in one of the wolf hall books which is something like "Whether Catherine of Aragon lost her virginity to her first husband, or her second, will forever remain a mystery"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

they emphasized that it was a big deal none of the characters actually appeared to believe in the gods and how big of a deal that would have been
i guess GoT could have been worse after all

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

anyway most scifi authors suck at religion, the ancillary/radtch books probably get it close where there's a strict set of cultural norms but nearly everyone breaks them in small ways, continuously
frank herbert did interesting things with religion in dune

so did gene wolfe (in book of the new sun and elsewhere)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PCjr sidecar posted:

the cannibal island religion bits in consider phlebas always seemed a bit off for a culture-aligned orbital

also a big part of why I don’t recommend it as a first culture book

the first three books in reverse published order are how i started and id likely recommend them that way. it makes the outside view of the culture in the first make more sense and player of games more cerebral as a counter to the end of use of weapons

qirex posted:

putting it that way, the books do hit close to the mark

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

watched s01e01 of Raised By Wolves last night. holy poo poo. not what i expected at all. looking forward to continuing

I just watched the first episode, it's rock solid sci fi and worth watching

mother's powers are pretty awesome

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 21, 2020

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I really hope it goes somewhere and doesn't stumble around for a bunch of seasons. it's good but it still has to pass the 3 episode test

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ep 2 has been good so far. theres a lot of directions it could go in and i def look forward to them

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

ep 2 has been good so far. theres a lot of directions it could go in and i def look forward to them

yeah, I'm like 10 minutes into episode 2 and the costumes and sets etc are super good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
one of the best parts about modern HD shows is that you actually have to put effort into costumes and whatnot because you can't hide it behind poo poo quality broadcasting or media. remember when everyone complained things looked like a soap opera because they weren't blurry as hell?

on the other hand that's a detriment to indie low budget things, but they get a pass because it's understandable, and they might get a little more budget not having to worry about physical distribution

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
anyway Jonny290 have you seent he anime Death Parade? it's like a buddhist version of The Good Place

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yeah, I'm like 10 minutes into episode 2 and the costumes and sets etc are super good

that medic android they carry along is really well done, and im digging the armor being somewhat regressive. a bit prelude to 40k vibe

now that more cgi is accessible and becoming convincing, it sort of gives low budget a leg up to cut costs with fakes for otherwise difficult or messy practical effects. i mean it still can look somewhat unconvincing but i agree they get a pass

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

buddhist version of The Good Place

got a real puzzled look on my face rn

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

got a real puzzled look on my face rn

why?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tryna work out what a buddhist Good Place would be and the closest i can come to is that we're in it now (disclaimer: i only watched a few shows)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

otoh if you have Culture-level tech where all the hard stuff is taken care of by the Minds then storming out to start your own religion with X & Y sounds perfectly feasible.

isn't that the Zetetic Elench

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

tryna work out what a buddhist Good Place would be and the closest i can come to is that we're in it now (disclaimer: i only watched a few shows)

it would be Death Parade lol

buddhism isn't just meditating and eating fruit like rich tech bros, there are a million billion hells and a bunch of st peters to judge you lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
face the yama bitchhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY1KXf0hlkQ

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001