Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

That’s a bit silly. Nolan can’t be blamed for the pandemic, and WB and Nolan were presumably hand-in-hand in the release strategy. Nolan is a uniquely reliable and bankable talent. One critical /box office misfire isn’t going to affect his trajectory at all.
If they'd released it on VOD for like $20 back in May it would have made a ton of money. The only reason this didn't happen is because Nolan is a purist who wanted his movie seen on the big screen, and he had the influence to ensure that happened.

The studio surely would have gone for the cash grab if it weren't a Nolan movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

That’s a bit silly. Nolan can’t be blamed for the pandemic, and WB and Nolan were presumably hand-in-hand in the release strategy. Nolan is a uniquely reliable and bankable talent. One critical /box office misfire isn’t going to affect his trajectory at all.

It was a massively bad call on his part to insist the film come to theaters only. That is at least on him.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe WB are thinking long-term with Dune as a series with a cult following they can milk for years instead of a big box office.

I think this is the case, studios have been hunting for the next legacy franchise ever since Marvel went big.

It does seem to be roughly coloring in the same lines as Marvel's success, in that it's a big budget all-star adaptation that stays faithful to the source material. That might mean less now that it's the norm these days.

They may also be looking to siphon off some of the Star Wars money now that that franchise has hit oversaturation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Disney couldn't possibly do Dune dirtier than Brian Herbert, so whatever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bawfuls posted:

If they'd released it on VOD for like $20 back in May it would have made a ton of money. The only reason this didn't happen is because Nolan is a purist who wanted his movie seen on the big screen, and he had the influence to ensure that happened.

The studio surely would have gone for the cash grab if it weren't a Nolan movie.

Nolan also gets a huge cut, like 20%, of the box office revenue.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

He'd never do it but I'd love an interview with him asking why he turned the Jihad into a generic robot war when it obviously wasn't.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe WB are thinking

haha good one

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re already making DUNC costumes wow

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Got middling reviews which makes it even dumber than they pushed it out instead of either sitting on it or putting it on VOD.

makes me sad... going back and watching nolan's earlier stuff and it's not even close.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

CelticPredator posted:

They’re already making DUNC costumes wow

“The Imperium runs on the spice melange. America runs on Dunkin.”

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Halloween Jack posted:

ehh

if anyone can, it's Disney

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jewmanji posted:

I didn’t know Nolan had an account here

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Jewmanji posted:

The real problem is not waiting until loving next year.

The amount of PR and mystery that comes out of simmering in the pot a little longer. It's why Dune better break some goddamn records.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Or else ... what?

Why would it break records?

Edit: like it's pretty rare for SciFi/Fantasy movies to actually 'bust the block' as it were, but as long as it's a good film who cares!

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 19, 2020

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Blood Boils posted:

Or else ... what?

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

ehh

if anyone can, it's Disney

They'd hire the failson probably.

Disney's The Butlerian Crusade, written and directed by Brian Herbert.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Last King posted:

makes me sad... going back and watching nolan's earlier stuff and it's not even close.

I rewatched The Prestige not too long ago and that's just an incredible movie, superbly acted, engaging from the very first scene. I feel like Nolan kind of peaked there and every film since has gradually become sloppier and more self-indulgent. The tight and economical pacing that defined his earlier work like Memento has totally vanished.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zartosht posted:

Pretty sure they hired him for this one.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I had to handle an unsocialized parakeet yesterday, move it from a big cage to a smaller cage, for transport. It got away from us, and I had to corner it and oh-so-gently encompass it in my hands, and slowly and gently carry it to the smaller cage.

It was biting the webbing between my fingers the entire time, as hard as it could. I could feel as it clenched its jaw muscles over and over, trying to get a piece. But I had to stay steady and smooth and not hurt the poor, scared little birdie until I got it to the new cage.

I know what was in the Reverend Mother's pain box, when she tested Paul Atreides. It was an unsocialized parakeet, biting his fingers.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Zartosht posted:

Disney's The Butlerian Crusade, written and directed by Brian Herbert.

I think their MO these days is to shortlist a dozen or so indie feature directors from festival circuits, pick the one that's most useful for virtue-signaling on a given project, then strong-arm that person into creating the exact product they wanted to make in the first place as they offload all the action scenes to an in-house second-unit.

Brian Herbert would get like a Producer credit, I guess.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Do format codes work in thread titles?

It might be nice to have D U N C.

Or maybe D U N €, it looks less dungy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The latter is more appropriate because the movie is only going to make any money overseas.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Toyark/status/1308034203511140352?s=20

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

GORDON posted:

I had to handle an unsocialized parakeet yesterday, move it from a big cage to a smaller cage, for transport. It got away from us, and I had to corner it and oh-so-gently encompass it in my hands, and slowly and gently carry it to the smaller cage.

It was biting the webbing between my fingers the entire time, as hard as it could. I could feel as it clenched its jaw muscles over and over, trying to get a piece. But I had to stay steady and smooth and not hurt the poor, scared little birdie until I got it to the new cage.

I know what was in the Reverend Mother's pain box, when she tested Paul Atreides. It was an unsocialized parakeet, biting his fingers.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Parrotsnack! :D

(Good on you, btw, you're good people.)

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

maybe it's just me, but these look horrible.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
They all look like roasted marshmallows at various levels of doneness/char

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think it's the lighting - the sculpts look much closer to the actors when there are shadows.

Although that double chin on toy Bautista is really unsettling.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Does Todd not do the sculpts anymore?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't think he has for a while, but I haven't kept up with action figures.

Here's a better picture of that chin I was talking about :

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

phasmid posted:

Does Todd not do the sculpts anymore?

He’s never done the actual sculpting work.

But McF Toys has been in an odd place for years. Recently they’re coming back a bit. I got one of their newest Spawn figures and it was really well made and well articulated, but not as well sculpted as it used to be.

Also I think all the best sculpture left for NECA and other companies. So it’s a totally different team.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I really wish that Linda Hunt had been asked back to reprise her role as the Shadout Mapes.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

He’s never done the actual sculpting work.

But McF Toys has been in an odd place for years. Recently they’re coming back a bit. I got one of their newest Spawn figures and it was really well made and well articulated, but not as well sculpted as it used to be.

Also I think all the best sculpture left for NECA and other companies. So it’s a totally different team.

when you compare this crap with stuff that recently came out for kojima for example, it's completely night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnySQ4I4kyE

just feels like a terrible cash grab and doesn't really give me any comfort regarding the film.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You’re judging the film nobody has seen yet by some lovely toys for dweebs?

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
imagine buying plastic toys for a movie about a book based on ecology, the environment, and resource extraction

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Michelangelo had a "storage shell" with nunchukus, grappling hook, and room for pizzas back in '91. It's a bad sign that Gurney Halleck doesn't even come with one ninja star.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Last King posted:

when you compare this crap with stuff that recently came out for kojima for example, it's completely night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnySQ4I4kyE

just feels like a terrible cash grab and doesn't really give me any comfort regarding the film.

McFarlane figures are 20 dollars and mass marketed.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

McFarlane figures are 20 dollars and mass marketed.

Yea hard to compare a 20 dollar figure to a 275 dollar figure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe Hot Toys will do some DUNC. They’re expensive but you can’t get much better when it comes to toys.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This movie sucks, it doesn't even come with a bunch of ugly, overpriced plastic garbage I can jack off on in my basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Action figures of the main characters is dumb baby poo poo for babies.

Give me a 1/12 scale 3rd Stage Guild Navigator floating in a tank of spice gas to mount over my fireplace or a life-sized Little Maker I can drown in the bathtub to make my own Water of Life.