Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Fascism Express 999
We should start brainstorming commemorative USPOL thread titles for page 1000.

EDIT: WE DID IT!

DOUBLE EDIT: Someone wanted dogs, so here are some party puppies!

Epinephrine fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
why was she keeping that money from them before she died?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Even by modern-day conservative standards that's an impressive level of stupidity.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

page 1000 on last day of summer

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
1000 years of darkness

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

woo! page 1000 :c00l:

is it considered 'doxxing' to just reveal the name of somebody who is actively undermining a government agency?

edit: of course

https://twitter.com/FederalistPitch/status/1308126023125553153

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm still reeling from the weekend's surprise. Is there any good news or banal news today on the last day of summer?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
1000 pages 🎩

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
:toot: page 1000!

2020 is the year that is going to break me for good I think.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Grouchio posted:

I'm still reeling from the weekend's surprise. Is there any good news or banal news today on the last day of summer?
Another judge said that USPS can't mess with election mail: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/21/politics/judge-usps-ruling-sdny/index.html

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Page 1000, time for the upswing!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
1000 pages and the Summer thread started almost a month late.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grouchio posted:

so far a pretty banal one in the normal american evil banal way. Like, Trump said he'd likely announce his pick this weekend right after RBG is buried and apparently the DOW poo poo the bed but there's not much else

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

1000 pages of hellworld, ready for 1000 pages more

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I wish we still had the dog tax and then we would have a collection of 1,000 dogs to view.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

1000 Days of Summer

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

selec posted:

1000 Days of Infrastructure Week

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
USPOL Summer: 1000 pages of darkness

edit: actually we should have a conversation about "dark" things being bad and racism

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Jaxyon posted:

edit: actually we should have a conversation about "dark" things being bad and racism

I'm sure that's exactly what minorities and people of color want. Epistemological discussions.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Orange is the new black.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I am prepared to sacrifice a goat to honor Page 1000. Just let me know.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dick Trauma posted:

I am prepared to sacrifice a goat to honor Page 1000. Just let me know.

Yes. Hurry, while the page is still fresh!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
A nice four digits of this absolute madness.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So after election and the SCOTUS going 6-3, is there a reason to follow politics for electoralisms sake? Seems like if voting doesn't even begin to address the erosion of the civil rights, economic issues and environmental issues, there isnt much of a point. As a minority I think i will only find value in political news as far as it helps my family and I prepare for whatever the next problem is. Like how i was ready for the pandemic because i followed it on the news.

Either way, i will likely consume far less news next year. If the people who run this country have more or less won their final victort, I'd like to just ignore the bad news like everyone else in my life.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/declanpgarvey/status/1308150455894265859

:lol:

poor bastard. credit where credit's due though. at least he was trying.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mrbotus posted:

So after election and the SCOTUS going 6-3, is there a reason to follow politics for electoralisms sake?

Yes, and it really doesn't take much at all. A simple majority of congress can revise the law limiting the supreme court to 9, and expand it to 13 (the number a lot of people are throwing out there now). 4 Biden judges later, and we have a 7-6 majority. This is not at all a "final victory".

If after the election we have the senate but only a bare majority and some poo poo Dem like Manchin is refusing to go along, then we continue electing Democrats as the GOP literally dies.

The Republican party really is doomed, but if it ends up looking like it will take a few more years (we'll pretty much know whether we can do anything meaningful or not by the Spring) then yeah, feel free to check out a few years, then check back in when you hear about more electoral victories.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:lol:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1308155423690764289?s=20

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

mrbotus posted:

So after election and the SCOTUS going 6-3, is there a reason to follow politics for electoralisms sake? Seems like if voting doesn't even begin to address the erosion of the civil rights, economic issues and environmental issues, there isnt much of a point. As a minority I think i will only find value in political news as far as it helps my family and I prepare for whatever the next problem is. Like how i was ready for the pandemic because i followed it on the news.

Either way, i will likely consume far less news next year. If the people who run this country have more or less won their final victort, I'd like to just ignore the bad news like everyone else in my life.

Midterm/local elections because those are probably going to effect you and yours on an immediate scale.

Portlands DA is one that comes to mind as a locally elected offical having a fairly big impact

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Catalyst-proof posted:

I'm sure that's exactly what minorities and people of color want. Epistemological discussions.

POC already have had these discussions.

But I suspect a lot of white folks are going to be a bit fragile about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rigel posted:

Yes, and it really doesn't take much at all. A simple majority of congress can revise the law limiting the supreme court to 9, and expand it to 13 (the number a lot of people are throwing out there now). 4 Biden judges later, and we have a 7-6 majority. This is not at all a "final victory".

If after the election we have the senate but only a bare majority and some poo poo Dem like Manchin is refusing to go along, then we continue electing Democrats as the GOP literally dies.

The Republican party really is doomed, but if it ends up looking like it will take a few more years (we'll pretty much know whether we can do anything meaningful or not by the Spring) then yeah, feel free to check out a few years, then check back in when you hear about more electoral victories.

I'm feeling really skeptical about the republican party truly being doomed, I'll only believe it when they're buried in the ground. I've heard it several times during my life and they keep bouncing back.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

But I suspect a lot of white folks are going to be a bit fragile about it.

What POC have done != what POC want allies to do

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Enigma89 posted:

I wish we still had the dog tax and then we would have a collection of 1,000 dogs to view.

No reason we can't start paying back taxes.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Jaxyon posted:

Which POC? What % of black voters care about this? At least throw in an article or something with an argument as to why we should care about this.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

[insert tweet with fascist saying "your going to concentration camps" and the lib saying "you're*"]

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

adoration for none posted:

Which POC? What % of black voters care about this? At least throw in an article or something with an argument as to why we should care about this.

Don't have an article for you but it comes up in discussions of representation in the media and such because of the prevelant dark=bad framing for a lot of things and the unconscious effects of that.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Srice posted:

I'm feeling really skeptical about the republican party truly being doomed, I'll only believe it when they're buried in the ground. I've heard it several times during my life and they keep bouncing back.

They haven't really bounced back though on numbers. They started from a massive coalition during Reagan that was almost unbeatable, and every election they lose more and more voters. It varies a bit, but they are now at the point where its no longer reasonable to expect them to get a majority of the national vote anymore going forward even when faced with the most unpopular opponent in decades, and it will continue to get worse for them. MUCH worse. They did not need to rely on structural advantages like smaller states in the past, but now it is the ONLY thing allowing them to cling to power as a minority party, but their advantages will no longer be enough as they continue to bleed support. They are headed towards the electoral ditch of becoming an irrelevant regional southern party.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Srice posted:

Republicans have pivoted themselves out of several demographic sandtraps in their existence, while Democrats are still struggling to convince their winning coalition that they should be in power.

We absolutely should not have any pretensions of the Republican party dying out, especially as in this election, where the Democrats have pivoted from "Demographics are Destiny" to "we think we can appeal to enough rich old white suburbans". They've reinvented themselves aesthetically in the past, they'll do it again.

The more productive question is where the republicans will pivot. With the Democrats salivating over suburbs, I could see them running on faux-strasserism (redundant, I know). Even a fake acknowledgement of material needs could peel off a fair chunk of voters.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
LOL if you have so few interactions with PoC that you've never heard "why does it have to be black?" or had a real conversation about colorism or how language assists in colorism.

edit: I can't wait for the 4 posters who are going to argue the poo poo out of this very common thing and then when it's consumed 5 pages decide that, because they're fragile about it, then the people talking about it must think it's the most important ever and that "here Jaxyon was telling people to stop caring about vote suppression and just language police"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-bad-is-black-effect/

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 21, 2020

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Jaxyon posted:

LOL if you have so few interactions with PoC that you've never heard "why does it have to be black?" or had a real conversation about colorism or how language assists in colorism.

I remember quite a few Malcolm X speeches that focused on this very thing. I'm probably going to fall into a youtube hole looking for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

edit: I can't wait for the 4 posters who are going to argue the poo poo out of this very common thing and then when it's consumed 5 pages decide that, because they're fragile about it, then the people talking about must think it's the most important ever and that "here Jaxyon was telling people to stop caring about vote suppression and just language police"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-bad-is-black-effect/

Wow, look at this guy, I bet he's had a *ton* of interactions with PoC. (hint: this isn't even the tip of the iceberg for terms like this, including the use of slave/master in software/hardware disciplines, but go off about how insanely racist people in this thread simply *must* be, because you want to humblebrag about... how many black people you know?)