Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Kinda amazed that all the cast are returning. Was expecting at least Kate and Pete to bounce by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I don’t think anyone wanted home shows to be their last shows.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
They will never recover from that second Trump show and I will never forgive them

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

blunt posted:

Kinda amazed that all the cast are returning. Was expecting at least Kate and Pete to bounce by now.

McKinnon has been somewhat open about being ready to leave, but her movie career has relatively flatlined. With Davison, Lorne loving loves him and essentially sees him as a surrogate son, so he's got a job for life.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So Cecily is coming back too? That one sketch at the end of last year felt like a farewell. I guess with the uncertainly in entertainment in general, sticking with the steady paycheck is pretty appealing.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah it's the combo of acting jobs being limited and Lorne can be a dick but I don't think he's a fire people in the middle of a pandemic dick.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Eddie just won his first Emmy for his hosting stint last December!

Tonight’s Vintage: Janet Jackson, from April 10 2004. It may be joined in-progress, dependent on the ending time of the NHL game.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
chances of cold opening with mckinnon in RBG's gown playing hallelujah on piano

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I don't think anyone would have wanted their last episode to be a Couch Episode and Lorne may be a cold pragmatist, but he understands optics...

BoosterDuck posted:

chances of cold opening with mckinnon in RBG's gown playing hallelujah on piano

plz no

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I assume there will be a ton of "Twin Sisters" skits with Aidy and Lauren Holt this season.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

mcbexx posted:

I assume there will be a ton of "Twin Sisters" skits with Aidy and Lauren Holt this season.

Uhhhhh, wait. Why did they hire like, the exact same looking person?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can't have enough white people.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

JazzFlight posted:

I have no idea why this image I grabbed from a site reporting about the three new ensemble members has Lauren Holt twice in it side by side, but I was too lazy to crop it and apparently it helps making my point.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

mcbexx posted:

I have no idea why this image I grabbed from a site reporting about the three new ensemble members has Lauren Holt twice in it side by side, but I was too lazy to crop it and apparently it helps making my point.
Yeah, like it’s obvious that those are the same pic, but that seriously just looks like a picture of Aidy Bryant. I know SNL loads up on generic looking white dudes a lot, but this is some doppelgänger poo poo.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

mcbexx posted:

JazzFlight posted:

[quote="mcbexx" post="508238756"]
[/

Glad to see my reaction was everyone's but Lorne's. Feeling so validated right now.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ArtVandelay posted:

Is Jason Sudeikis really that busy? His Biden is so good.

Ted Lasso got a second season but I'm not sure when they will actually be able to film it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Still can't believe a rejected SNL character turned 5 min interstitial joke on NBC sports 6 years ago has turned into a, by all reports, decent TV show.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Still can't believe a rejected SNL character turned 5 min interstitial joke on NBC sports 6 years ago has turned into a, by all reports, decent TV show.

It's the first show in a long time that has a Parks and Rec vibe to it where a bunch of characters all have conflicts with each other but are also often kind to each other framed with some decent silly humour. I've seen plenty of acceptable criticisms of it but during a time when 99% of what you see in the media is horrifically bad news, I'm willing to forgive minor issues and go with something that has a positive outlook. If the show had actually started in 2015, maybe I would feel differently.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

InfiniteZero posted:

It's the first show in a long time that has a Parks and Rec vibe to it where a bunch of characters all have conflicts with each other but are also often kind to each other framed with some decent silly humour. I've seen plenty of acceptable criticisms of it but during a time when 99% of what you see in the media is horrifically bad news, I'm willing to forgive minor issues and go with something that has a positive outlook. If the show had actually started in 2015, maybe I would feel differently.

This is a good recommendation I will check it out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's just so joyous, and the writers have proven themselves great at turning characters you don't like around when they want to. Diamond Dogs for life.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's just so joyous, and the writers have proven themselves great at turning characters you don't like around when they want to. Diamond Dogs for life.

This is how I feel about letterkenny

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1309191617492873217

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1309545137924722689

who knows what's gonna be edited out for various reasons

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1309545137924722689

who knows what's gonna be edited out for various reasons
Hahaha, wasn't it on some of these archival SNL streams that some episodes ended up cut so much they were like 17 minutes long?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yeah I don’t fuckin care, og shows with all music including the house band or nothing. Throw the original commercials in too for fun. You want me to use Peacock, you best bring the good poo poo.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Interview with Lorne about the new season

It's New York Times so use incognito or whatever.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://clips.twitch.tv/AuspiciousSpinelessSalamanderDendiFace

edit context

https://clips.twitch.tv/AmazingCrispyEndiveDuDudu

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 28, 2020

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They will never recover from that second Trump show and I will never forgive them

Don't forget that they also brought the evil Texas eyeball man on Weekend Update to apologize to him.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Okay, this post was just kinda out of context since the clip doesn’t really explain anything, but I googled around and it was a sketch during the Lin Manuel Miranda ep where Pete Davidson is a soldier who’s dying and he asks Lin to clean up his naughty sex stuff in his house so no one finds it. Apparently the Twitch guy presented a similar sketch while auditioning (which I didn’t see), but it’s not like word-for-word and it wasn’t a war setting. I dunno, the sketch is a pretty tired joke to begin with, right?

EDIT: Ack, u just added context, thanks.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This debuted on Thursday’s Fallon but they only just finally got it on YT earlier today-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyCLdWm66Hc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno, the sketch is a pretty tired joke to begin with, right?

Yeah, I can understand why he's pissed if he knows they saw his version and then put out one he feels is a direct rip... but that's not a sketch I would want to take credit for. It's crap.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I just want to see how the poor NBC censor handles Megan Thee Stallion. Especially if Cardi shows up and they somehow get permission to do WAP :v:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Quoted instead of edited. What am I, a newbie?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apparently the S31 Catherine Zeta Jones episode on Peacock runs for 9 minutes. Amazing work.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Hasn't it always been that way? When Hulu had "the complete series" you had entire seasons where every episode was about 4-6 mins long.

(Unless peacock promised things would be uncut and I'm an idiot?)

pwn
May 27, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

Hasn't it always been that way? When Hulu had "the complete series" you had entire seasons where every episode was about 4-6 mins long.

(Unless peacock promised things would be uncut and I'm an idiot?)

No they used the hilariously weasel-worded language, “every season” lmao

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-aqTtywDDI

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Why are cast members not allowed to be in political sketches anymore

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

General Dog posted:

Why are cast members not allowed to be in political sketches anymore

Lorne posted:

You announced last week that Jim Carrey would play Joe Biden this season. Why did you choose him for the role?

First of all, Jim is brilliant, and he cares deeply about the country and what’s going on. He wants to have a voice in this. Every time he’s done [“S.N.L.”], he’s always come through brilliantly, and I think what he will bring to this part will be stunning and possibly transcend comedy. Because we’re in a period where comedy is only part of it.

Are you turning your back on other performers, like Jason Sudeikis, who have previously played that part?

I’m not turning my back on anyone. We’re just trying to put on the show that looks right, right now. People show up for each other in these moments. We were in the middle of shooting “30 Rock,” and Tina [Fey] was doing the episode that Oprah Winfrey could only do on the Saturday of that show [when Fey played Sarah Palin, the 2008 Republican vice-presidential nominee, for the first time]. But I didn’t choose her as much as the audience chose her. If you’re so hidebound by rules or expectations that you can’t reinvent a show, then why am I there?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/24/arts/television/lorne-michaels-saturday-night-live-chris-rock.html

e: vvvvvvvvvvv I think the last sentence still answers your question. I think it's a dumb answer, but that's his answer.

blunt fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I mean current cast members. Like, back when current cast members would play the president or some other prominent politician, it could be a star-making turn. Do Lorne and the writers have that little faith in their cast, or are they just addicted to stunt casting now that it reliably goes viral?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 2, 2020